Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's enjoy the rest of the football season

Started by Lanny, October 31, 2017, 08:01:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

Arkansas will pulverize Coastal Carolina this week.  I would like to see the fans support the football team and wait until the end of the season for new coach discussion.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

PonderinHog

Go Hogs!

And fire Long and Bielema!  Too soon ???

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: Lanny on October 31, 2017, 08:01:43 am
Arkansas will pulverize Coastal Carolina this week.  I would like to see the fans support the football team and wait until the end of the season for new coach discussion.

Good luck with that, but I agree 100%.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

BR

That's why we have at least 50 threads to drive traffic to the site on Coaching changes....  lol
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

sowmonella

100% correct. Go Hogs.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

The NewEra

Watching those youngsters celebrating their win at Ole Miss Saturday caused me to re-focus on the very core of our football team, the players.  As fans we tend to ignore the tremendous toll it takes on a football team's psyche to have a down season like this one.  It was good to see them get that win and the players deserve our support and encouragement every game.

As for the future:  Que será, será

Grag T

Agreed; take it week by week and let's see what happens.  Besides, I don't see much point in making 15,000 threads about a new coach when we don't even have a vacancy yet.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

Cotton

This should be dedicated a Coaching search bye week.

We need the rest.

WPS BEAT THE HE!! OUTTA CC
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Lanny and All Others,  It would be nice to come on here and just talk about the upcoming game, recruiting, who might replace who on the assistant coaching staff, etc..

But fairly thinking, that is difficult:  1.  Many of us assume the Management of this program is far more interested in saving Bret's job than making changes and we hope by showing disappointment, we might make a difference.  Being quiet appears to make the Decision Makers believe that all is well.  First off, Bret Bielema should have never been hired for the good of the program and for his own good.  2.  We have no faith in the decision makers choices and hope a dropped hint or two or 25,000 on here might make a difference.  3.  Even we weak thinkers like myself know this should have been attended to 2 or 3 years back before the small fire caught wind and is now racing across the State.  4.  Though it does get repetitive, there hasn't been much else to discuss until we finally did win a ballgame we should have won last Saturday, by one point, with a fieldgoal and in spite of ourselves, in general.

Capt. Hamm

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Pig Worshipper

I certainly plan on enjoying this weekend's game but don't think any of us will enjoy the rest of the season after that - not unless you're so anti-Bielema that you want the Hogs to lose, which is the likely outcome of our last three games.

I don't see anything wrong with conjecture on who the next coach might be, though. However, folks should be aware that it's very likely Coach Bielema isn't going anywhere. Like many others on Hogville, I don't believe Jeff Long will fire Coach Bielema until after next season and I don't care what Coach B. is whispering about resigning - that ain't happenin'.

Cylinder

Quote from: 12247 on October 31, 2017, 10:49:00 am...we finally did win a ballgame we should have won last Saturday, by one point, with a fieldgoal and in spite of ourselves, in general.

...to a team that a successful -- or even mediocre -- coach would have made uncompetitive from the start.

We can't change the past, but we can change the future.

BigBrandonAllenFan

WOOOOOOOO PIGS SOOIE!!!!!!

Beat the Hell out of Coastal Carolina!!!!!

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on October 31, 2017, 11:08:01 am
I certainly plan on enjoying this weekend's game but don't think any of us will enjoy the rest of the season after that - not unless you're so anti-Bielema that you want the Hogs to lose, which is the likely outcome of our last three games.

I hope we win out, or at least win 3 of the next 4 and go bowling.

6-6 may not be stellar, but I still want to play in a bowl game.

There is going to a bowl, and there is not going to a bowl.  Kinda like to be or not to be.  We need the extra practice that comes with a bowl game.  And a bowl game is always exciting to watch.

Cylinder

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 31, 2017, 11:11:49 am

There is going to a bowl, and there is not going to a bowl.  Kinda like to be or not to be.  we need the extra practice that comes with a bowl game.

6-6 means no real change.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: 12247 on October 31, 2017, 10:49:00 am
Lanny and All Others,  It would be nice to come on here and just talk about the upcoming game, recruiting, who might replace who on the assistant coaching staff, etc..

But fairly thinking, that is difficult:  1.  Many of us assume the Management of this program is far more interested in saving Bret's job than making changes and we hope by showing disappointment, we might make a difference.  Being quiet appears to make the Decision Makers believe that all is well.  First off, Bret Bielema should have never been hired for the good of the program and for his own good.  2.  We have no faith in the decision makers choices and hope a dropped hint or two or 25,000 on here might make a difference.  3.  Even we weak thinkers like myself know this should have been attended to 2 or 3 years back before the small fire caught wind and is now racing across the State.  4.  Though it does get repetitive, there hasn't been much else to discuss until we finally did win a ballgame we should have won last Saturday, by one point, with a fieldgoal and in spite of ourselves, in general.

You could have just said you refuse to stop for a minute.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Wild Boarnado

Amen. Go Hogs!
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Cylinder on October 31, 2017, 11:13:53 am
6-6 means no real change.

We can lose out and Beilema is still going to be our coach next year.  You know it, I know it.

Hoggish1

Thanks for the advice, Lanny.  Football weekends are for fun.  I plan to enjoy this one and will worry about the bengal [CENSORED] cats when the time comes.

Tejano Jawg

That's the spirit!

Can't make the Homecoming game, but really looking forward to the Mississippi State weekend. Chilly, probably an afternoon (or 11 AM) game. The Dawgs may be one of the best 2-3 teams on our schedule, so not sure how optimistic I'll be. Just hoping for a good, competitive game, maybe a surprise or 2, tailgating with friends and family. WPS!
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

elksnort

Quote from: The NewEra on October 31, 2017, 09:48:14 am
Watching those youngsters celebrating their win at Ole Miss Saturday caused me to re-focus on the very core of our football team, the players.  As fans we tend to ignore the tremendous toll it takes on a football team's psyche to have a down season like this one.  It was good to see them get that win and the players deserve our support and encouragement every game.

As for the future:  Que será, será
No doubt. The dancing around in the post game locker room was genuine joy for the guys. Nice to see.

Cylinder

October 31, 2017, 01:16:40 pm #24 Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:46:03 pm by Cylinder
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 31, 2017, 11:46:04 am
We can lose out and Beilema is still going to be our coach next year.  You know it, I know it.

I accept you're using a bit of hyperbole there for effect, so I hope this doesn't come across as snark or low-level bickering.

1. A loss to Mississippi would have forced change.

2. A loss to Coastal will force change. The only way that happens is if both the starters and backups decide to play sabotage -- a.k.a. ain't gonna happen.

3. Failure to make a bowl would make change likely - but not certain.

4. Securing a bowl waiver makes retention a very real possibility.

5. Securing a bowl invitation without caveat (>= 6 wins) makes retention likely.

That's how I see it objectively. I guess those that accept this premise can decide what would be best for the team and the program and which factors have more weight.

To paraphrase Neil Peart, I suppose, one could choose not to decide, but they still have made a choice.

[Edit: fixed grammar]

elksnort

Quote from: Cylinder on October 31, 2017, 01:16:40 pm
I accept you're using a bit of hyperbole there for effect, so I hope this doesn't come across as snark or low-level bickering.

2. A loss to Coastal will force change. The only way that happens is if both the starters and backups decide to play sabotage -- a.k.a. ain't gonna happen.

5. Securing a bowl invitation without caveat (>= 6 wins) makes retention likely.

That's how I see it objectively. I guess those that accepts this premise can decide what would be best for the team and the program and which factors have more weight.

To paraphrase Neil Peart, I suppose, one could choose not to decide, but they still have made a choice.

I am a huge RUSH fan and have read several of Neil's books. Thanks for the lyric reference from Freewill.

Svrdhd

Under further review, the ruling on the forum is confirmed.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

GTOWNHOG

Let's hope so, they are 1-7 on the season and ranked 11th in the Sunbelt conference....  I will be at the game as well as the MS State and Mizzou games....  Maybe LEVY will step it up and improve the food and service  :) :)
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

BigBrandonAllenFan

That's how I see it objectively. I guess those that accept this premise can decide what would be best for the team and the program and which factors have more weight.

You forgot about the 15 million buyout part that Arkansas will not be willing to pay, regardless of what happens in the win or loss column.

Cylinder

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 31, 2017, 02:09:18 pm
You forgot about the 15 million buyout part that Arkansas will not be willing to pay, regardless of what happens in the win or loss column.

So as it turns out the $15M meme was discarded when it started tying Long's judgement to Beilema's failure in the national press.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Cylinder on October 31, 2017, 02:36:05 pm
So as it turns out the $15M meme was discarded when it started tying Long's judgement to Beilema's failure in the national press.

I know we had the thread here about the contract buyout.  It was said that it was amended to the current buyout number.  I don't think anyone was able to present any evidence that disputed the fact he still has a 15 millie buyout.

Yes Doctor, I could have, but I didn't.  I said what the hell I wanted to.  But I do value your opinion.

Hogsolo

Amen!

jvanhorn

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 31, 2017, 11:11:49 am

There is going to a bowl, and there is not going to a bowl.  Kinda like to be or not to be.  We need the extra practice that comes with a bowl game.  And a bowl game is always exciting to watch.

Huh, I have watched a ton of bowl games that were anything but exciting to watch.  A team that doesn't even have a winning record has no freaking business playing in a bowl game.  Jesus this country actually used to be a example of excellence.  Now it is just a country slowly swirling down the drain.

HeyHogs

smb

So Arkansas going to pulverize CC Huh? Are they going to pulverize LSU, Miss.State, and Missouri too? If they do I promised I will enjoy the rest of the season.
GeorgiaHOG

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

1highhog

Quote from: Grag T on October 31, 2017, 10:35:15 am
Agreed; take it week by week and let's see what happens.  Besides, I don't see much point in making 15,000 threads about a new coach when we don't even have a vacancy yet.

This ^^^^!!  This gets to me more than anything, we certainly don't have a vacancy so why worry about getting a new coach when we still have a coach under contract?  Until this season is over, nothing is going to change, not even with the assistant coaches, we my as well sit back and watch these last few games and see how they play out.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Grag T on October 31, 2017, 10:35:15 am
sure we do, CBB and Long just don't know it yet.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Locutus_of_Boar

Well put. 

Complaining about Arkansas Football is the rule not the exception.

In a century and a quarter of Arkansas football EVERY fourth year there IS a coaching change year.  If the current coach is winning less than 2/3rds of his games this bumps up to a change every third year.  Given the discussion tends to lead the event by a year that means two out of every three years when Arkansas has a coach with a mediocre or poor record a dominant discussion topic will be the replacement of the coach.

There were a few surprises along the way, most notably Bowden Wyatt and Bobby Petrino but most coaching changes happen after the debate is well underway in the extreme case of HDN dragging on for a full five years.

If Long hires a winner (> 66.7%) you can exepct his average tenure to be 6 years which means about four years of peace before the grumbling begins in earnest.  No matter how good the coach it's always a reprieve though, never a permanent fix for the complaining.

The Hawg Marshal

While this is a nice thought and what should happen. I'm pretty sure the ship has sailed on , this season , in most peoples eyes. Once we lost to USCj  there was no going back.

GuvHog

November 02, 2017, 04:24:18 pm #41 Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:05:33 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 31, 2017, 08:44:20 pm
I know we had the thread here about the contract buyout.  It was said that it was amended to the current buyout number.  I don't think anyone was able to present any evidence that disputed the fact he still has a 15 millie buyout.

The buyout is between 5 and 6 Million.

I agree with Lanny. I'm going to enjoy the Game Saturday and worry about a possible coaching change later.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

swineology

I'll be in my seat as always at every home game calling those hogs.

WPS!

island hog

I enjoy every win, no matter the score or opponent.  My grandmother only was only able to listen to the Hogs on the radio back in the day as she lived way out in the boonies and couldn't see well.  Although she was a die hard Hog fan, she seldom seemed to let a loss get her down.  She told me once that she was glad just to be able to hear them play because she never knew when the time would come and she wouldn't be able to... Hog fan through and through from Solgohachia. 

cmphill87

-Chrisky

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cmphill87 on November 02, 2017, 04:35:50 pm
Here is one source confirming 5.9 mil...https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/8/16442824/bret-bielema-arkansas-football-buyout-record

How in the heck is that confirmation? They probably got it by reading the ADG or Hogville.............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

CarolinaSwine

Quote from: 1highhog on November 01, 2017, 03:42:51 pm
This ^^^^!!  we certainly don't have a vacancy so why worry about getting a new coach when we still have a coach under contract?

Ever buy insurance?

Quote from: 1highhog on November 01, 2017, 03:42:51 pmwe my as well sit back and watch these last few games and see how they play out.

CBB's has had 59 games to demonstrate his ability, but we're going to let the last 4 decide his fate?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: CarolinaSwine on November 02, 2017, 04:52:27 pm
CBB's has had 59 games to demonstrate his ability, but we're going to let the last 4 decide his fate?

That's the way it works sometimes.

Athog

Great suggestion! I agree totally!!