Who is the best hog BIG MAN of all time

Started by musiccityhog, January 09, 2006, 10:39:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

musiccityhog

Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

fordyce boy

The Big nasty was great, but so was big Joe Kleine!!!

Primadonna Bulldog

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Big O.  If he only could have played on the 94 team...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

WindyCityHog

musiccityhog

Loved Big O, if he had been on that '94 team! Good Night!
Your Address? Seven

turbo2000

Joe Kleine may have been the smartest and Corliss the most talented.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

musiccityhog

Very first Hog game I ever went to Andrew Lang had a dunk I still think about to this day.
Your Address? Seven

WindyCityHog

How 'bout Darnell Robinson?

This is a good thread....

Got me thinking.

Big men are few and far between in Fayetteville....and I don't consider Corliss a "big man". 

Oliver Miller...all jesting aside.

Whataboar™

I think Mike Carpenter was greatly under appreciated.  :o
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

Smokin' Joe from Slater, MO...loved watching that team.   Ahhhh, the days of made Free Throws..

musiccityhog

Corliss may have not been a "Big" man , but he was the best we've had around the basket in a long time.
Your Address? Seven

Can't argue with his accomplishments...nice guy, too

Since 1894

I went to college watching Joe Kleine battling Mike Concack (sp) of SMU (?).  It was like going to a J.Taylor fight and a basketball game breaking out!  Barnhill was a rocking!!

My favorite was Dwight Stewart - Put a dress on him and he could pass for the Aunt Jemima at the time.  Loved it when he would make those 3 point shots and the TV announcers wouldn't know what to say about our center making outside shots.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

RazrBakr

January 09, 2006, 11:07:22 pm #16 Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 11:18:19 pm by RazrBakr
Corliss took it home like it was no body's business.  Joe was good until Hakeem the dream and Phi Slamma Jamma was in town.  Oliver had a great shooting touch/good passing too.  Darnell never seemed to develop, full of potential it seemed.  Andrew Lang was almost half the talent on that team.
I think Corliss/ Klein either one would be welcome these days.  I really think Townes is a super kid.  He'll develop in time.  Still pulling for Hill too
Just can't help smiling these days!!!

Arkapigdiesel

Corliss.  He was a fargin diesel truck down low.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

musiccityhog

Darnell Robinson was way too soft! He never really got the grasp of the "power move"!
Your Address? Seven

musiccityhog

Remember in the Final Four when Corliss took Rasheed Wallace to school down low.
Your Address? Seven

Hogster18

How 'bout Dwight Stewart?

The "Big Dog" could dunk and shoot the 3

RazrBakr

What ever happened to Darnell Robinson?  Wasn't he "the all-time scorer" in California in high school?"  were there no tall kids in California high schools?

musiccityhog

I was never impressed with Darnell , or Lee Wilson around the basket.
Your Address? Seven

Since 1894

I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe we need a "what ever happen to" section.  I am sure HsV is looking for new sections to put on here, as he doesn't have anything else to do.  Last I remember is that he was the last pick in the second round of the NBA draft, didn't stick and was playing in Italy.  That info is years old.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I liked Wilson?, his counter-part better

Hawgz4Life

Fulmer....oh..you mean who played for Arkansas?

[attachment deleted by admin]

musiccityhog

Wilson was better as a Freshman then when he got older.
He seemed to get softer with age.
Your Address? Seven

Since 1894

Quote from: Hawgz4Life on January 09, 2006, 11:26:40 pm
Fulmer....oh..you mean who played for Arkansas?

That's Funny!!!  Keep posting.

musiccityhog

They both got softer as the years went on.
Your Address? Seven

Ugly Uncle

Joe Kline was the only true good center that I remember.  All others have really been power and/or small forwards.
Retired Radio Host

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: musiccityhog on January 09, 2006, 11:15:47 pm
Remember in the Final Four when Corliss took Rasheed Wallace to school down low.

I'll never forget that look on Rasheed's face when Corliss went around him with that drop step.   

Remember when Dwight Stewart was BRINGING THE BALL UPCOURT and with the handles of a PG, went behind his back and through his legs???  He had a touch like no other big man at arkansas. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Hawg414

Quote from: dubyacee on January 09, 2006, 11:49:52 pm
Quote from: musiccityhog on January 09, 2006, 11:15:47 pm

I'll never forget that look on Rasheed's face when Corliss went around him with that drop step.

Remember when Dwight Stewart was BRINGING THE BALL UPCOURT and with the handles of a PG, went behind his back and through his legs??? He had a touch like no other big man at arkansas.

always said my favorite aspect of that 94 team was that our PG got all his points posting up, while our center got all his shooting 3s. 
ironic huh.

Yup Hawg.  Beck is my fav Hog of ALL TIME.

Hawg414

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 10, 2006, 12:01:15 am
Yup Hawg. Beck is my fav Hog of ALL TIME.

beck and mayberry are my co-favs.  no way i could ever pick between those two.  i think it physically hurt beck to lose, and he would do anything and everything in his power to prevent it.  yet mayberry... mayberry was just so damn cool and calm and collected... a silent assassin.  if we needed assists, he'd get 10.  if we needed points, he'd get 35.  still remember the LSU game in barnhill our first year when he basically took that game over.  9 for 12 i think on 3s for 35 points.  i would give 5 years off the back end of my life to have been at that game live... i can not even imagine the atmosphere that day. 

WindyCityHog

Quote from: Since 1894 on January 09, 2006, 11:07:20 pm
I went to college watching Joe Kleine battling Mike Concack (sp) of SMU (?).  It was like going to a J.Taylor fight and a basketball game breaking out!  Barnhill was a rocking!!

My favorite was Dwight Stewart - Put a dress on him and he could pass for the Aunt Jemima at the time.  Loved it when he would make those 3 point shots and the TV announcers wouldn't know what to say about our center making outside shots.

It was Jon Koncack.....

....and those were great years.  SMU, Arkansas, and Houston had good teams then.

Joe Kleine....he was the best BIG man.....although I remember Oliver Miller giving Shaq fits because O would play out on the perimeter...

If you're talking C....then Joe Kleine.

....and let's not forget Steve Schall and Jim Counce.

the donger

Quote from: WindyCityHog on January 09, 2006, 10:59:26 pm
How 'bout Darnell Robinson?

This is a good thread....

Got me thinking.

Big men are few and far between in Fayetteville....and I don't consider Corliss a "big man".

Oliver Miller...all jesting aside.
Darnell? Surely you are kidding. Quite possibly the most over-rated player in the history of the UofA. He was TERRIBLE.

WindyCityHog

My point exactly.

The Hogs have done quite well without a true "big" man, O and Kleine excepted.

Darnell was supposed to be....he never came about.

RazrBakr

January 10, 2006, 12:32:14 am #39 Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 12:34:15 am by RazrBakr
Thanks for the Jim Counce memory jog!  He was all-american right?  Around the time of the triplets? ???
If you are talking NBA-Joe Kleine outlasted them all.  Made a few million his last couple of years just riding the pine.

ENHOG

It's either got to be Shawn Davis or Mario Credit!!!!
\\\"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.\\\"

WindyCityHog

I hear Jim Counce is now a surgeon in NWA....any confirmation of that?

RazrBakr

ENHOG

\\\"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.\\\"

WindyCityHog

the donger

Freddie Childress! Oh wait, wrong sport.

Lando Calrissian

The guy on Press Row this morning that talked about Corliss abusing Rodrick Rhodes (that's a name I haven't heard in a LONG time) up and down the floor during Pitino's last trip with Kentucky to Fayetteville was great.

Then Corliss told Pitino, to his face, that he'd better put someone in there that could guard him.

If that doesn't make you smile, then you aren't a Razorback fan.

So my vote goes to Corliss.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Ugly Uncle

That is a great story.

I love Corliss.

But I don't guess anyone has heard of Mr. Andrew Lang.
Retired Radio Host

Since 1894

January 10, 2006, 07:11:00 am #48 Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 07:37:27 am by Since 1894
Quote from: WindyCityHog on January 10, 2006, 12:11:58 am
Quote from: Since 1894 on January 09, 2006, 11:07:20 pm

It was Jon Koncack.....

....and those were great years. SMU, Arkansas, and Houston had good teams then.

Joe Kleine....he was the best BIG man.....although I remember Oliver Miller giving Shaq fits because O would play out on the perimeter...

If you're talking C....then Joe Kleine.

....and let's not forget Steve Schall and Jim Counce.

Thanks for the correction  - I can't believe that was twenty years ago.

FIRENUTZ

Scott Hastings has to be somewhere in the rankings.