Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SamBuckhart

Take your time CCM. Get it right. We can wait on the best.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Snout team

Quote from: oldhawg on December 13, 2017, 08:23:52 am
I do not for a minute believe it will be Venebles.  However, as you infer, I do believe it will be an excellent hire that will compliment what Morris is going to do offensively, and probably more importantly will mesh well with the rest of the staff.  In other words I think Morris will either hire someone he already knows, or he will have adequately vetted that person.

On the other hand, if Morris's son Venables' son does not sign with Clemson in December, could that be an indication of things to come?

Fixed
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

arkansas proud77

lets all lobby for Bud  Foster.  with a base salary at 600k and 300k in possible bonuses. Hogs  can double that.

greenie

Does anyone know where the "Chavis has a interview Thursday" info is coming from?  I'm guessing the HV ether, but I'm curious.

BOAR_N2BWILD

CAN WE JUST FREAKING HIRE A DC ALREADY!!!- I feel that we are losing valuable recruiting time.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: greenie on December 13, 2017, 09:08:33 am
Does anyone know where the "Chavis has a interview Thursday" info is coming from?  I'm guessing the HV ether, but I'm curious.
i havent been able to confirm that at all.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

greenie

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 13, 2017, 09:15:02 am

Thanks. 
Hogville can be similar to the Chinese Whispers game.  Who knows how some rumors get started.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: GuvHog on December 13, 2017, 08:42:08 am
1. Brent Venables
1a. Gene Chizik
2. Steele (Auburn)
3. Pruitt (Now HC at Tennessee)
4. Mike Stoops
5. Todd Graham
6. Chavis
Added

WoooPigSooieShane

1. Brent Venables
2. Steele (Auburn)
4. Mike Stoops
5. Todd Graham
6. Chavis

The top 3 are solid, but take out Stoops and Graham. I've heard a lot of OU fans say that they would gladly give Stoops to us. And has Todd Graham ever put a top-level defense on the field anywhere that he has been? Maybe I'd put Bud and Glasgow from TCU up on that list. But all of those guys (BV, Steele, Pruitt, Bud, and Glasgow) are in pretty solid spots, so there's no reason for them to leave. After that, yeah, Chavis is a name that sounds pretty good.

I'd be willing to put up a Coke Zero that most average CFB fans couldn't name 10 DC's.

Quote from: greenie on December 13, 2017, 09:08:33 am

A few posts on the Razorback subreddit said it was coming from Trey Biddy and the Rivals forum.

HogNTX

1. Brent Venables
2. Steele (Auburn)
4. Mike Stoops
5. Todd Graham
6. Chavis

I don't understand the Graham inclusion. I've probably missed something with him but he was a DC at Tulsa before becoming a Head Coach at Rice and on up to Arizona St. A lot of people have thrown his name out there but he's not someone I'd think off as a defensive guru or juggernaut. Can someone enlighten me?

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: HogNTX on December 13, 2017, 09:27:53 am
I don't understand the Graham inclusion. I've probably missed something with him but he was a DC at Tulsa before becoming a Head Coach at Rice and on up to Arizona St. A lot of people have thrown his name out there but he's not someone I'd think off as a defensive guru or juggernaut. Can someone enlighten me?

He hired Morris from HS to be Tulsa OC at Malzahn's recommendation. Graham is a Defensive version of Morris and Malzahn, coming from the HS ranks in Texas and Oklahoma to be a college head coach.

Hogwild

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on December 13, 2017, 09:25:12 am
1. Brent Venables
1a. Gene Chizik
2. Steele (Auburn)
4. Mike Stoops
5. Todd Graham
6. Chavis

I would put both Dave Aranda and Bud Foster ahead of every coach on that list.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: arkansas proud77 on December 13, 2017, 09:08:03 am
lets all lobby for Bud  Foster.  with a base salary at 600k and 300k in possible bonuses. Hogs  can double that.

Bud Foster? Heck according to Guv he isn't even top 6.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogwild

Quote from: arkansas proud77 on December 13, 2017, 09:08:03 am

that was his 2014 contract, he makes more now- his base starts at 950K plus he has lots of incentives

QuoteFoster earned $1,369,500 in total pay this year

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oldhawg on December 13, 2017, 08:23:52 am
I do not for a minute believe it will be Venebles.  However, as you infer, I do believe it will be an excellent hire that will compliment what Morris is going to do offensively, and probably more importantly will mesh well with the rest of the staff.  In other words I think Morris will either hire someone he already knows, or he will have adequately vetted that person.

On the other hand, if Venebles's son does not sign with Clemson in December, could that be an indication of things to come?

I don't know how good the DC hire will be. Just not sure. Does Morris have a demonstrated record of making great coaching hires? I don't know.

So I'm not saying that he will make a great hire or a bad hire, but he needs to hire someone who will turn out to be a very good to great after the fact.

I don't think it matters where Venables son commits, Venables still isn't coming.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

younghog

Quote from: HogNTX on December 13, 2017, 09:27:53 am

Todd Graham should not be on that list.. My son goes to ASU and if as an HC his footprint was on the Defense.. it was a weak foot.

Not my choice and I hope not CM choice as well

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

greenie

GuvHog

Quote from: younghog on December 13, 2017, 12:20:25 pm
Todd Graham should not be on that list.. My son goes to ASU and if as an HC his footprint was on the Defense.. it was a weak foot.

Not my choice and I hope not CM choice as well

GO HOGS

Graham's biggest problem by far at ASU was his offense. After he lost Norvell to Memphis, his offense tanked and that cost him his job.

Graham is a great DC.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

oldhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 13, 2017, 11:40:05 am
I don't know how good the DC hire will be. Just not sure. Does Morris have a demonstrated record of making great coaching hires? I don't know.

So I'm not saying that he will make a great hire or a bad hire, but he needs to hire someone who will turn out to be a very good to great after the fact.

I don't think it matters where Venables son commits, Venables still isn't coming.

I am sure you are correct about Venebles  and his son ---- just a passing thought.

I have gotten the impression though (probably from reading HV, which brings in the question of reliability) that the PTB are willing to pay top dollar for a an exceptional DC. 

I'll have to admit that, like others, I am eager to see who is hired.  But, regardless, I will not rush to judgement. 

The die has already been cast for the next three to five years, so we will see how it plays out ----- and remain a Razorback fan.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oldhawg on December 13, 2017, 12:33:37 pm
I am sure you are correct about Venebles  and his son ---- just a passing thought.

I have gotten the impression though (probably from reading HV, which brings in the question of reliability) that the PTB are willing to pay top dollar for a an exceptional DC. 

I'll have to admit that, like others, I am eager to see who is hired.  But, regardless, I will not rush to judgement. 

The die has already been cast for the next three to five years, so we will see how it plays out ----- and remain a Razorback fan.

I hope that they are willing to pay top dollar for the right man.

If I were looking for what would be considered to be a very good to great DC for Arkansas, the first thing I would look at is his ability to take less talented recruiting classes and coach them up, particularly with regard to how they played against ranked teams.

Did they play above their forecasted and ranked ability when they were recruited? What is his demonstrated ability to develop players (is he a teacher of the game and solid technique)?

Has he shown the ability to make quality in-game adjustments on the fly against ranked teams? Does he play a more aggressive style of defense with the front 7 and a BBDB philosophy in the back end, or a more contain style up front and more aggressive in the Secondary, or both?

Does he go more for stripping and T/O's or does he prefer to focus on securing the tackle and limiting yds after contact or catch, and take the T/O's as they come?

These are a lot of questions that should be asked and answered and demonstrated over time on game film.
Go Hogs Go!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: thebignasty on December 11, 2017, 09:06:45 pm
Probably about 1.5 mil
he might ask, but he won't get that since he's jobless
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 13, 2017, 11:43:46 pm
he might ask, but he won't get that since he's jobless
he is currently employed at TAMU and making 1.55
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 14, 2017, 02:17:28 pm
he is currently employed at TAMU and making 1.55
let him stay there..see if Jimbo picks him up, smart ass

ad: and you consider Chavis' position with Aggie brass along with a brand new coach stalking the sideline at A&M to be a good one ?...I wouldn't consider a month left in my job a solid place to be, but apparently you do
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

oldhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 13, 2017, 06:40:35 pm
I hope that they are willing to pay top dollar for the right man.

If I were looking for what would be considered to be a very good to great DC for Arkansas, the first thing I would look at is his ability to take less talented recruiting classes and coach them up, particularly with regard to how they played against ranked teams.

Did they play above their forecasted and ranked ability when they were recruited? What is his demonstrated ability to develop players (is he a teacher of the game and solid technique)?

Has he shown the ability to make quality in-game adjustments on the fly against ranked teams? Does he play a more aggressive style of defense with the front 7 and a BBDB philosophy in the back end, or a more contain style up front and more aggressive in the Secondary, or both?

Does he go more for stripping and T/O's or does he prefer to focus on securing the tackle and limiting yds after contact or catch, and take the T/O's as they come?

These are a lot of questions that should be asked and answered and demonstrated over time on game film.

From all that I have read, these are qualities that Alex Grinch appears to have.  Wonder if he is being considered?  Wonder if he would be interested?

HogPharmer

Quote from: oldhawg on December 13, 2017, 08:38:12 am
I do not understand the mentality of the few folks who say, "If Morris does not hire Venebles, then he has lied to us."

Would you be happier if he said, "Well, I am offensively minded, but I'll get the best DC that I can."  Nice message to send to recruits on the defensive side of the ball.

Where would we be if Sam Walton's idea of excellence would have been to be the largest retailer in Northwest Arkansas, and he was satisfied with that.

Of course he (Morris) is going to get the best.  He is selling an idea.  He may not of even had Venebles in mind when he said that.  That is your conclusion, perhaps not Morris's vision.

Some complain about missing the train when it has not even left the station.

^^^This

He was sitting in a room with a bunch of disappointed players who just came off a terrible season and have no idea what to expect next and what their future will be. He was behind the 8 ball the second he was hired because of his record at SMU. His #1 priority coming in was to address his new team. He needs them to buy in ASAP if he wants to be successful. And that goes for players on BOTH sides of the ball.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 14, 2017, 05:50:57 pm
let him stay there..see if Jimbo picks him up, smart ass

ad: and you consider Chavis' position with Aggie brass along with a brand new coach stalking the sideline at A&M to be a good one ?...I wouldn't consider a month left in my job a solid place to be, but apparently you do
who knows, jimbo might keep him.  either way he is still employed through their bowl game and is not currently available as you suggested.  just like all the other guys that are currently employed.  not to mention if he is currently under contract, he probably has a buyout.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but you might try not being a dumb ass.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hog_fan

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 13, 2017, 09:13:01 am
CAN WE JUST FREAKING HIRE A DC ALREADY!!!- I feel that we are losing valuable recruiting time.

Dead period begins Monday.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oldhawg on December 14, 2017, 06:23:04 pm
From all that I have read, these are qualities that Alex Grinch appears to have.  Wonder if he is being considered?  Wonder if he would be interested?

It has already been said that he has been offered. Whether that is true or pure scuttlebutt, we will find out.
Go Hogs Go!

BR

Just posted by mattingly on Twitter... Sounds like Arkansas is working on a deal to make John Chavis their DC. Not a done deal but definitely headed that direction.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 13, 2017, 09:15:02 am

You should pretty much just use this as your sig line...  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 14, 2017, 06:44:28 pm
who knows, jimbo might keep him.  either way he is still employed through their bowl game and is not currently available as you suggested.  just like all the other guys that are currently employed.  not to mention if he is currently under contract, he probably has a buyout.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but you might try not being a dumb ass.

You mean you hit it out of the park without even trying.!?  WoW.!!   ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Dr. Starcs

pigture perfect

I'm not mad. That guy has killed us for years.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hoggish1

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 13, 2017, 09:13:01 am

No.  Why? Because he's still coaching his team in a ______________?

Snout team

The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Augustus

Bo Mattingly just tweeted this out:

"Sounds like Arkansas is working on a deal to make John Chavis their DC. Not a done deal but definitely headed that direction."
https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/943322407112241152

I had such high hopes for Coach Morris. Oh well, in 3 years we get to go shopping again.

Cure

Quote from: Augustus on December 19, 2017, 09:45:20 pm

"Sounds like Arkansas is working on a deal to make John Chavis their DC. Not a done deal but definitely headed that direction."

I had such high hopes for Coach Morris. Oh well, in 3 years we get to go shopping again.
Arkansas is too good for Chavis?
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Hogballisback

Dumb post.

http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/chavis-aggie-defense-worth-second-look/article_d83b163c-cdba-11e7-9846-ab4611a2fe24.html

PorkSoda

20+ years experience coaching defense in the SEC?  not good enough for arkansas.  we luv us some 3 digit rankings in defense.

Augustus

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 19, 2017, 09:43:35 pm
I'm not mad. That guy has killed us for years.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Yes... this year A&M Defense racked up 6 sacks, 7 tackles for loss, and 1 INT... against the Hogs.

...and the Hogs STILL managed to hang 43 points on them.

Hard pass on Chavis.

Dr. Starcs

Wasn't even the best dc in the state of Texas. So disappointing.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Augustus on December 19, 2017, 09:51:45 pm
LOLOLOLOLOL

Yes... this year A&M Defense racked up 6 sacks, 7 tackles for loss, and 1 INT... against the Hogs.

Hard pass on Chavis.

Exactly

PorkSoda

LOLOLOLOLOL

Hard pass on Chavis.
you guys are willing to give Morris a pass on his record at SMU, but aren't willing to give Chavis a pass for not fielding the best defense ever on a team that fired its HC at the end of the year?

Hogballisback

LOLOLOLOLOL

Hard pass on Chavis.

I'll post this good read again...

http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/chavis-aggie-defense-worth-second-look/article_d83b163c-cdba-11e7-9846-ab4611a2fe24.html

Hogballisback

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 19, 2017, 09:53:28 pm
you guys are willing to give Morris a pass on his record at SMU, but aren't willing to give Chavis a pass for not fielding the best defense ever on a team that fired its HC at the end of the year?

Exactly.

Augustus

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 19, 2017, 09:51:00 pm
20+ years experience coaching defense in the SEC?  not good enough for arkansas.  we luv us some 3 digit rankings in defense.

If we were getting "LSU Chavis", I'd be all for it.  "A&M Chavis"? Not so much

Augustus

Quote from: Hogballisback on December 19, 2017, 09:53:37 pm
I'll post this good read again...

Yes, please keep posting an article written by an A&M homer, about how they need to keep Chavis.

I hope they do keep Chavis, as I hope we hang 43 points on them again next year.

Hogballisback

Quote from: Augustus on December 19, 2017, 09:59:03 pm
Yes, please keep posting an article written by an A&M homer, about how they need to keep Chavis.

I hope they do keep Chavis, as I hope we hang 43 points on them again next year.

You didn't even read it. It's obvious. Enjoy your evening, alone in your misery.