Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

aTm Game depth chart

Started by ricepig, September 18, 2017, 10:09:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on September 19, 2017, 02:12:27 pm
Philon was sitting at the table at his school, ready to sign, when Sabah called his coach, and offered him a grey shirt. Jamichael winston called our d line coach, and we talked him into coming here

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/chargers_darius_philon_sets_re.html

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 12:26:34 pm
Evidently he was the best option last year. Evidently this year he isn't. He may not have regressed as much as not progressed as much as others.  Again, having to install a headset in his helmet to tell him what to do says it all. You can't put a guy on the field that doesn't know what to do. What I WILL say, is that if good players are getting left behind by the scheme and only super smart guys can pick it up, there is a problem with the system and it should be simplified.
If Wallace has regressed then we have a coaching and development problem.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 12:44:16 pm
Please provide links, because I missed it.  I saw him getting major push in the FAMU game and there has also been linked proof on here of him getting to the second level blocks in the TCU game.
Youtube the game. You will see. And just because you get to the second level doesn't mean you pushed somebody. There is more than one way to get to the second level. Like not blocking anybody for instance.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 02:51:54 pm
Read the post! If Wallace was so good that HE was dominating his opponents (i.e steamrolling them) then shouldn't people who saw it (i.e. media on limited basis) be commenting on how great he looked and that it obviously was an injustice for Wallace to not be the starter. I haven't heard or read anyone say Wallace deserves the spot
All reports had Wallace starting all spring, summer, and fall until the Florida A&M game. The move came out of nowhere. And trust me I listen to Trey Biddy on DTS every weekday and he was even surprised by it.

Been10Hog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 19, 2017, 03:00:14 pm
There is a vocal group that for whatever reason cannot see all the possibilities. According to them the options are.
a) Coaches are incompetent and don't know what star rankings mean
b)Player has gotten worse, therefor, has regressed and has not been adequately developed. Therefore, coaches at fault
c)coaches have an agenda to intentionally sit the most talented player

Possible alternatives:
d)a new player has arrived on campus  and has proven on the field to be superior to the more experienced player
e)player hasn't made the commitment to improve, has become lazy, makes more mistakes than the new player

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 03:09:08 pm
There is a vocal group that for whatever reason cannot see all the possibilities. According to them the options are.
a) Coaches are incompetent and don't know what star rankings mean
b)Player has gotten worse, therefor, has regressed and has not been adequately developed. Therefore, coaches at fault
c)coaches have an agenda to intentionally sit the most talented player

Possible alternatives:
d)a new player has arrived on campus  and has proven on the field to be superior to the more experienced player
e)player hasn't made the commitment to improve, has become lazy, makes more mistakes than the new player
Once again you still haven't answered my question. Do you think AT THIS POINT that Clary is better than Wallace, Merrick, Raulerson, Rogers, or Ramirez? He might be smarter but do you think he's a better football player? I'm not asking what the coaches think I'm asking you what you think. Stop being naïve and sucking up and believing everything the coaches say. If you haven't figured it out by now coaches do LIE and MISLEAD.

RazorPiggie

Now watched our series from the 2nd qtr. Clary got pushed back on one run from their best DL. Then a play or two later him and Ragnow double teamed a DL and TCU sent the house and someone ran right by him. That's the only two plays that I saw in the first half that were concerns.

Been10Hog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 19, 2017, 03:13:08 pm
Once again you still haven't answered my question. Do you think AT THIS POINT that Clary is better than Wallace, Merrick, Raulerson, Rogers, or Ramirez? He might be smarter but do you think he's a better football player? I'm not asking what the coaches think I'm asking you what you think. Stop being naïve and sucking up and believing everything the coaches say. If you haven't figured it out by now coaches do LIE and MISLEAD.
Why?

RazorPiggie

Watched the 3rd and nothing alarming stood out to me with Clary. When we got down inside the 5 Patton completely whiffed on a block which lead to no gain and the other was a run to the left side that got stood up.

I'm by no means saying Clary deserves to be in there but he hasn't been the problem the 3 qtrs I have watched. He has only been stood up a couple of times but hasn't caused any tackles for loss or sacks. His pass blocking is pretty good. I think our problem with run block is TCU stacking the box.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 03:17:31 pm
Now watched our series from the 2nd qtr. Clary got pushed back on one run from their best DL. Then a play or two later him and Ragnow double teamed a DL and TCU sent the house and someone ran right by him. That's the only two plays that I saw in the first half that were concerns.

Texas a&m has some beasts in their interior DL. It will be interesting to see how he handles them.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 03:33:37 pm
Watched the 3rd and nothing alarming stood out to me with Clary. When we got down inside the 5 Patton completely whiffed on a block which lead to no gain and the other was a run to the left side that got stood up.

I'm by no means saying Clary deserves to be in there but he hasn't been the problem the 3 qtrs I have watched. He has only been stood up a couple of times but hasn't caused any tackles for loss or sacks. His pass blocking is pretty good. I think our problem with run block is TCU stacking the box.

The people saying he doesn't deserve to be in there have no proof other then his classification in college, he has not failed at his job yet and they are here complaining like a little girl.  There are so many things they could complain about, but instead this one is easy for them to latch on too, lazy actually.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2017, 03:34:29 pm
Texas a&m has some beasts in their interior DL. It will be interesting to see how he handles them.

It will be funny however to watch him be held to a higher standard than we've held the O line the last two years. 

factchecker

Here is a gif I found of Clary blocking in the 3rd qtr.

Toss right to David Williams.

Clary chips the one technique (or shade - it's hard to tell from the angle) and works to the linebacker.

Cantrell and Clary get pancakes.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

IronHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 03:57:06 pm
It will be funny however to watch him be held to a higher standard than we've held the O line the last two years. 

Compared to who.....the other guy named starter that didn't earn it?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

BigSexyHog

I seriously can't believe this is up to 11 pages.....LMFAO
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

RazorPiggie

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2017, 03:34:29 pm

I agree. But he hasn't been the problem (yet). IMO we should have spread the field a little more instead of a FB and two TE sets. When we did that they knew we were running and brought the house. Of course non of our WRs could get open to get the passing game going.

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on September 19, 2017, 03:59:16 pm

Clary chips the one technique (or shade - it's hard to tell from the angle) and works to the linebacker.

I want to see him against some SEC competition, but I'm pretty close to boarding the Ty Clary train.  Kid seems to be for real.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 04:08:55 pm
I want to see him against some SEC competition, but I'm pretty close to boarding the Ty Clary train.  Kid seems to be for real.

Just wait.  Ice skates

Wildhog

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 04:09:45 pm

Just wait.  Ice skates

I mean, he's a true freshman.  I fully expect him to be put on skates some this year.  It's not his fault he appears to be the best we've got at RG.

I hope he becomes our next great OL.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jst01

Quote from: factchecker on September 19, 2017, 03:59:16 pm

off topic, but I hate these plays... took 3 seconds from the snap for Williams to get to the line of scrimmage.

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 04:08:55 pm

He had one play where a guy bearcrawled through his legs and knocked him back.

His weak point has mainly been getting to the inside knee on a backside scoop block.  This allows the backside defensive tackle to blow up the play.

From what I've seen he is a pretty good pass blocker.  Overall, he has great mobility and athleticism.  Once he locks onto a defender he gets pancakes pretty easy.

There is one poster on here who will always hate him because he is from Fayetteville High.  This poster has a disgusting history of hating any and everything from NWA.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: jst01 on September 19, 2017, 04:15:06 pm
off topic, but I hate these plays... took 3 seconds from the snap for Williams to get to the line of scrimmage.

I don't mind them once or twice a game..... as long as they are not to the boundary.

They set up the play action pass off the toss.  They also can spring for big runs if the running back has enough vision to cut back or plant his foot and hit the hole.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RazorPiggie

Our RBs need to be more like Le'veon Bell when it comes to patience. I think our guys are just trying to hit the hole fast instead of waiting on the play to develop.

Hogdomer

Quote from: factchecker on September 19, 2017, 04:19:40 pm
I don't mind them once or twice a game..... as long as they are not to the boundary.

They set up the play action pass off the toss.  They also can spring for big runs if the running back has enough vision to cut back or plant his foot and hit the hole.

Not to mention the play in the clip was one of our best runs all day.

onebadrubi

Quote from: factchecker on September 19, 2017, 04:18:33 pm

His weak point has mainly been getting to the inside knee on a backside scoop block.  This allows the backside defensive tackle to blow up the play.

From what I've seen he is a pretty good pass blocker.  Overall, he has great mobility and athleticism.  Once he locks onto a defender he gets pancakes pretty easy.

There is one poster on here who will always hate him because he is from Fayetteville High.  This poster has a disgusting history of hating any and everything from NWA.

Cough       ironhog     cough

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 19, 2017, 03:13:08 pm

Whether Clary is better than Wallace or not isn't an issue because they play different positions. Gibson is obviously better than Wallace though because he's the one who took Wallace's starting spot.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 19, 2017, 03:00:14 pm

Again, read what the hell I wrote. He may not have regressed. He simply may not have progressed as much as others and has been passed up.

PorkRinds

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 04:36:19 pm
Whether Clary is better than Wallace or not isn't an issue because they play different positions. Gibson is obviously better than Wallace though because he's the one who took Wallace's starting spot.

It's crazy when GUV gets it and so many others seem to struggle with the concept.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 04:38:31 pm
It's crazy when GUV gets it and so many others seem to struggle with the concept.

It does, IMO, call into question our evaluation of scholarship OL.  Something is amiss.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 04:42:25 pm
It does, IMO, call into question our evaluation of scholarship OL.  Something is amiss.

I don't disagree. I honestly think it's the over-complicated system. Everything we've heard about Clary is his football IQ is off the charts. If it takes a guy with that kind of IQ to grasp the system it's probably too complicated.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 04:38:31 pm

Yeah, I just think it's silly for people to attack Clary when Gibson is the one that took Wallace's starting spot.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 04:45:46 pm
I don't disagree. I honestly think it's the over-complicated system. Everything we've heard about Clary is his football IQ is off the charts. If it takes a guy with that kind of IQ to grasp the system it's probably too complicated.

There's just a strangely large number of heavily recruited OL riding the pine.  I understand that not everyone pans out, but this is a little weird, IMO. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 04:42:25 pm

I see nothing amiss about 1 scholarship player beating out another scholarship player for the RT spot.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 04:51:23 pm
I see nothing amiss about 1 scholarship player beating out another for the RT spot.

We have a walk-on, a former walk-on, and a DL convert starting on our OL, while a lot of scholarship guys sit on the bench. 

It's just odd to me.  Is there a problem with our evaluations?  Is there a problem with development?  If it were just a few guys, it'd be one thing, but we've got a LOT of scholarship OL (some very heavily recruited) that just can't get on the field for whatever reason.
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Quote from: factchecker on September 19, 2017, 04:18:33 pm

Just wait for big boy football.

Wildhog

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 04:56:16 pm

Just wait for big boy football.

You seem eager to see the kid fail. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 04:57:40 pm

Clary is from Fayetteville.

Fayetteville is in NWA.

IronHog hates NWA.

Facts.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on September 19, 2017, 05:00:46 pm
Clary is from Fayetteville.

Fayetteville is in NWA.

IronHog hates NWA.

Facts.

Yeah, I don't get the NWA hate.  I love NWA.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Despite the overwhelming amount of naysaying, Clary wasn't the issue. We simply don't have anyone ready to play tackle. That, IMO, is the thing that should be obvious. And it's the fault of CBB and CKA.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 05:12:00 pm
Despite the overwhelming amount of naysaying, Clary wasn't the issue. We simply don't have anyone ready to play tackle. That, IMO, is the thing that should be obvious. And it's the fault of CBB and CKA.

Yep.  I don't understand how we don't have anyone that can play tackle.
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 04:57:40 pm

I've watched this mess the past 5 years......with predicable results.  Just call it like I see it.....

O'Grady looks GREAT and they don't play him.  He's from NWA......

Wildhog

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 05:17:30 pm

I've watched this mess the past 5 years......with predicable results.  Just call it like I see it.....

O'Grady looks GREAT and they don't play him.  He's from NWA......

I think Clary looks great for a true freshman.  Even Cam Robinson struggled as a true freshman in the SEC.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

And I agree about O'Grady.  He needs to be out there.
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 05:18:19 pm
I think Clary looks great for a true freshman.  Even Cam Robinson struggled as a true freshman in the SEC.

Clary has been fine vs rent a win competition but Gibson-Wallace looked better last year than the current lineup.

Building for next year I guess.

Wildhog

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 05:24:21 pm

Clary has been fine vs rent a win competition but Gibson-Wallace looked better last year than the current lineup.

Building for next year I guess.

I can only assume the coaches want to get the best OL configuration possible out there.  If that means Clary at RG, so be it.  He's absolutely going to have some growing pains, like every true freshman that plays in the SEC.  There will be games where he gets abused.  But it's not his fault that the coaches feel that's the best configuration.

Whether or not it actually is, I don't know.  I liked Gibson-Wallace last year, too, but it's not my call...or my job on the line.
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 05:13:00 pm
Yep.  I don't understand how we don't have anyone that can play tackle.

Agree.

Colton Jackson and Brian Wallace both look the part but for one reason or another don't play particulary well.

Jackson has flashes of athleticism but he over-commits.  It seems like he might close his eyes before contact because he ducks his head and gets swam (past tense for swim-moved?) or ripped.

Brian Wallace can be a mauler but he also has a tendency to pop straight up and block chest to chest.  He also gets beat off the edge with a speed rush.

Here is a gif of Wallace getting beat last year by the Aggies:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 05:28:14 pm
I can only assume the coaches want to get the best OL configuration possible out there.  If that means Clary at RG, so be it.  He's absolutely going to have some growing pains, like every true freshman that plays in the SEC.  There will be games where he gets abused.  But it's not his fault that the coaches feel that's the best configuration.

Whether or not it actually is, I don't know.  I liked Gibson-Wallace last year, too, but it's not my call...or my job on the line.

The major issue is they can't run behind Ragnow-Gibson anymore....

Wildhog

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 05:32:33 pm

The major issue is they can't run behind Ragnow-Gibson anymore....

I don't disagree.
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Quote from: factchecker on September 19, 2017, 05:29:35 pm
Agree.

Colton Jackson and Brian Wallace both look the part but for one reason or another don't play particulary well.

Jackson has flashes of athleticism but he over-commits.  It seems like he might close his eyes before contact because he ducks his head and gets swam (past tense for swim-moved?) or ripped.

Brian Wallace can be a mauler but he also has a tendency to pop straight up and block chest to chest.  He also gets beat off the edge with a speed rush.

Here is a gif of Wallace getting beat last year by the Aggies:

The entire OL was bad on that play......

Starts with a lazy effort by Sprinkle

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 05:28:14 pm

Legit.