Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

aTm Game depth chart

Started by ricepig, September 18, 2017, 10:09:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 12:35:20 pm
Well difference was Philon was EXTREMELY last minute. Devwah had a couple of months to decide where he wanted to go. He did have an offer from Miami.

Either way, we weren't getting either until outside forces gave us a chance.

It wasn't like Philon lost his scholarship and said, "WELL NOW I HAVE TO GO TO ARKANSAS."  He made a conscious decision.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 11:31:04 am

Because a guy that knows his reads but can't block is sooooo much better than a NFL body guy that misses the occasional read.

He doooofus, please provide proof of this can't block?  Until you can quit being so dumb, the kid hasn't failed yet.  How many times do we have to tell you this and you just continue with your WRONG AND DUMB narrative. 

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2017, 12:28:10 pm
Why are they favoring Gibson over Wallace?

Quite possibly because over the off season, he improved to the point that he's just better than Wallace now. I don't understand why some on here absolutely refuse to accept that as a possibility.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:37:19 pm

It wasn't like Philon lost his scholarship and said, "WELL NOW I HAVE TO GO TO ARKANSAS."  He made a conscious decision.

I agree with you. Philon could have gone several other places but thankfully he had a teammate signing with us.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 11:39:55 am
And we ended up getting him over a lot of other teams.

We got him because we had his high school teammate and he talked him into coming without ever seeing the school.  Philon is not a good example given in that argument. 

IronHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 12:38:00 pm
He doooofus, please provide proof of this can't block?  Until you can quit being so dumb, the kid hasn't failed yet.  How many times do we have to tell you this and you just continue with your WRONG AND DUMB narrative. 

He's 275.

Just wait till big boy football
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Wildhog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 12:40:09 pm
I agree with you. Philon could have gone several other places but thankfully he had a teammate signing with us.

Here's the deal.  Every single coach has moments in their tenure that could go any number of ways.  You can always say, "Well this guy fell in our lap" or "We SHOULD have won this game" or "We should have lost that game."

The reality is you get credit for who you sign, and you are what your record says you are. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 11:42:09 am

But he's a Boy Scout from Fayetteville

Really doesn't matter what BB does cause he's toast recruiting anything but the super high character guys from here on out....

Look, we know your agenda, you think any and all athletes from NWA suck and are given special treatment over the rest of arkansas players.  You have been spewing this small minded thought train for years, it does nothing but make you look dumb and petty.  When will you realize this?  You are just telling on yourself

Been10Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:34:26 pm
The mental gymnastics you guys will perform to discredit Petrino's success is staggering.
I don't think people are trying to discredit Petrino, but point out that some things are different. Petrino had to beat LSU and Bama. No one else was a threat in 2011. Of course in 2010 there was Aubbie with the innocent Scam Newton. Schedule is tougher. We haven't logged the wins Petrino did yet. Hopefully we can get there. Ole Miss is about to be an afterthought like 2011 and hopefully aTm will be also.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 19, 2017, 11:47:26 am
It's plain and simple. Ty Clary was on skates against both Florida A&M and TCU. It just stood out more in the TCU game because of the increase in talent level. They dominated that young man. I'm not trying to knock him either because he may turn out to be a very good football player. It's obvious that he's smart. I'm just saying that right now he's not PHYSICALLY ready for the big boys.

Please provide links, because I missed it.  I saw him getting major push in the FAMU game and there has also been linked proof on here of him getting to the second level blocks in the TCU game.

WilsonHog

Might FOTH be correct in his assessment?

"When Enos was hired, 6'5", 315 became the sought after size for screens, pulls, etc.  The problem is we have Enos players size, but Enos' wide open system hasn't been fully implemented.  When Anderson came aboard, that first signing class had Heinrich (285), Ramirez (300) and Raulerson (300). This year is was Clary, Clenin, Adcock, and Wagner.  All around 300.  There is talent, but the scheme of the offense hasn't changed while the players brought into the system has."

If he is correct, and the sought-after body type has changed because what we are asking them to do has changed, that would make some sense.

Been10Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:37:19 pm

Actually he did lose his scholarship and had to pay his own way or go somewhere else. He followed a teammate here without ever visiting Fayetteville.

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 12:40:59 pm
We got him because we had his high school teammate and he talked him into coming without ever seeing the school.  Philon is not a good example given in that argument. 

Vigor puts out a lot of D1 football players.  They're recruited hard by a lot of coaches.  You think he didn't have any other connections?  He could have picked up the phone and gone to any number of other programs.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 12:45:29 pm
Actually he did lose his scholarship and had to pay his own way or go somewhere else. He followed a teammate here without ever visiting Fayetteville.

Yes, he did.  He chose Bobby Petrino and Arkansas without ever visiting Fayetteville.  He CHOSE.
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 12:42:24 pm
Look, we know your agenda, you think any and all athletes from NWA suck and are given special treatment over the rest of arkansas players.  You have been spewing this small minded thought train for years, it does nothing but make you look dumb and petty.  When will you realize this?  You are just telling on yourself

I think BB plays favorites and SOME kids from NWA get special treatment.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 12:02:28 pm
I'll restate mine: (earlier post about Hammonds but it can be applied for any position)

I don't think it's necessarily playing favorites as it is rewarding the "uncommon" guys. What I mean by that is the guys that give 110% in practice, nod their head to everything the coaches tell them, keep their GPA up, and cause no trouble.

While I would personally love for that to translate into the most talented players playing, it doesn't. Example......I keep hearing this issue of "trust" with TJ Hammonds. I assume TJ isn't practicing as well as CBB would like. Maybe he has less effort than guys like Stewart and Pettway. I don't know. But none of those guys have the talent or skill set TJ has. There may be only one player like TJ Hammonds on the roster.......himself.

I liken him to Joe Adams. We all saw how much of a difference Adams made for those Hog teams he played for. Can TJ make that kind of difference? Only one way to tell.

TJ may not be the type of player and personality CBB prefers, but there has to be a balance of taking what you see in practice and understanding who your studs are.

facepalm again...We've already told you why TJ has came on slow.  You just aren't allowing your mind to see what others say to alter your narrative/agenda.

onebadrubi

Well, those two decisions by philon and whaley were MUCH different. 

Philon had minutes to make his next decision with teams filling up on signing days. 

Whaley had months. 

A big difference there. 

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 12:46:48 pm

I think BB plays favorites and SOME kids from NWA get special treatment.

All coaches play favorites, they are their favorite player for that position.

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 12:47:55 pm
Well, those two decisions by philon and whaley were MUCH different. 

Philon had minutes to make his next decision with teams filling up on signing days. 

Whaley had months. 

A big difference there. 

No, he did not have minutes.  That's a common misconception.  Bama told him they wanted him to greyshirt several days before NSD.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Been10Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:46:18 pm
Yes, he did.  He chose Bobby Petrino and Arkansas without ever visiting Fayetteville.  He CHOSE.
He chose to follow his friend! You're saying if his friend went to Tennessee, Philon would have chosen Arkansas, never visiting because he loved BP

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2017, 12:48:24 pm
All coaches play favorites, they are their favorite player for that position.

Good coaches play the best players.

Watch the team quit on BB.  They know

Wildhog

According to Philon himself, he found out about a week before NSD.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/chargers_darius_philon_sets_re.html

"I had sent my papers in to Arkansas way before I was on the stage," Philon said of the day.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 12:49:14 pm
He chose to follow his friend! You're saying if his friend went to Tennessee, Philon would have chosen Arkansas, never visiting because he loved BP

Where did I say he loved BP?  Stop being dishonest.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 12:49:44 pm

Good coaches play the best players.

Watch the team quit on BB.  They know

The best player is their favorite, now, that doesn't mean it's your or mine best player, but it is in their judgment, and they get to decide.

WilsonHog

How did a thread about the A&M depth chart veer into a discussion about Darius Philon and Bobby Petrino?

Wildhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 12:53:15 pm
How did a thread about the A&M depth chart veer into a discussion about Darius Philon and Bobby Petrino?

Because, for some strange reason, there are people who feel they have to do whatever they can to discredit Petrino's success here.

It's just weird.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 12:53:38 pm
I stated it was an earlier post and could be applied to any position. I used Hammonds as an example.

Instead of face palming, slap yourself.

As I stated earlier, Hammonds is a bad example.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

I stated it was an earlier post and could be applied to any position. I used Hammonds as an example.

Any position? So tell us, how many, and whom, are being shunned to the side so the coach can lay his favorites?

Been10Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:51:07 pm
Where did I say he loved BP?  Stop being dishonest.
Just asking if you think he would have gone to Arkansas if his friend who visited Arkansas had gone somewhere else

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 12:57:40 pm
Just asking if you think he would have gone to Arkansas if his friend who visited Arkansas had gone somewhere else

I have no idea.  It would have been less likely, for sure.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 12:42:00 pm

He's 275.

Just wait till big boy football

According to reports he's up around 290-295

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 12:57:40 pm

Do you think Whaley would have gone to Arkansas if Richt doesn't get fired at UGA?
1909/1964/1965/1977

WilsonHog

Trying to have an intelligent discussion about football on here can be like trying to drive a nail with a Q-Tip.

Been10Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:59:47 pm
Do you think Whaley would have gone to Arkansas if Richt doesn't get fired at UGA?
Absolutely not! But comparing a coach with a history of putting RBs in the NFL who was actually Whaley's second choice to getting a Greyshirt SEC caliber DT fall in your lap when they never saw Fayetteville is a little different don't you think?

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 01:03:06 pm
Absolutely not! But comparing a coach with a history of putting RBs in the NFL who was actually Whaley's second choice to getting a Greyshirt SEC caliber DT fall in your lap when they never saw Fayetteville is a little different don't you think?

Both fell into our laps, so not really, no.

Not that it matters.  Petrino gets credit for signing Philon and Bielema gets credit for signing Whaley.  It is what it is what it is.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Redhogs

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:54:09 pm
Because, for some strange reason, there are people who feel they have to do whatever they can to discredit Petrino's success here.

It's just weird.
No it's not...it makes them feel better about Bert's failures and a way to justify them...pure distraction and illogical. I would be fine with never seeing CBP's name ever mentioned on Hogville again...but that's not gonna happen, it's all they have...or don't have I should say.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

RazorPiggie

I'm by no means am a football expert. But I just re-watched our drives in the first quarter (minus the first one, dude on youtube didn't have it loaded yet) and Clary did his job on every down. Not once did he go backwards on run plays and held his block on passing.

This is coming from someone that thought our OL would be suspect this year when CBB announced the final fall depth chart.

When we got down inside the 10 right before the end of the 1st it was 2nd and 4. Hand off to Devwah and they blitzed from the right side. Gibson had to choose which to block. Run before that was good blocking and Austin had plenty of time on the 3rd down play just didn't have an open WR. (I thought Nance was being held during his route)

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:42:21 pm
Here's the deal.  Every single coach has moments in their tenure that could go any number of ways.  You can always say, "Well this guy fell in our lap" or "We SHOULD have won this game" or "We should have lost that game."

The reality is you get credit for who you sign, and you are what your record says you are.

Once again. I agree with you like I do on most things.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:45:35 pm
Vigor puts out a lot of D1 football players.  They're recruited hard by a lot of coaches.  You think he didn't have any other connections?  He could have picked up the phone and gone to any number of other programs.

I made my comment based on your comment I quoted, I see after catching up reading further you knew more of  the story.  I agree with your assessment that is pread out over multiple post on this topic, except I don't think you can compare the whaley and philon recruitment. 

onebadrubi

Lol nice try, you are using an example of a possible favoritism being played, yet we are telling you kid was injured.  Keep shoving your agenda.

Kevin

Philon was sitting at the table at his school, ready to sign, when Sabah called his coach, and offered him a grey shirt. Jamichael winston called our d line coach, and we talked him into coming here
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 11:50:35 am

Biddy is a straight shooter.

He thinks they should be playing the same line as last year with whoever at left OT.

Put Wallace beside Gibson and freaking run right.
I thought and said the same thing. And Trey Biddy is frustrated big time lol.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 19, 2017, 11:54:01 am
At some point the few 4 stars that we get have to start working out.what we are being told  is none of the 5 on the OL is good enough.then i say something is very wrong with our recruiting.
And our development. Beilema's program success is supposed to be based on redshirt juniors and seniors.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 11:54:30 am
I have not heard Mike Irwin or any media member who has actually seen practice say that Wallace is steamrolling folks in practice and that there is an obvious conspiracy causing BB to not play the best players. Wallace got his ass handed to him in practice! It's that simple. He can turn it around if he is willing to win it back!
Did you have eyes on Wallace in practice? Damn we got a lot of Hog insiders on hogville.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 11:55:54 am

Arkansas doesn't have any defenders that can stramroll Wallace

Just stop the cool aid
Yeah, his kool-aid must be super sweet.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 11:57:41 am
Here's my simple question on the "playing favorites" angle, for those of you advancing that argument.

Is it your position that Bielema is sitting in his office thinking, "You know, playing this player might get my quarterback injured and may even lose games that will cost me my job, but piss on it...I'm going to do it anyway."

That your position?
Dude, every coach has favorites rather you wanna believe it or not. Or teachers pets if you will.

Been10Hog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 19, 2017, 02:48:32 pm
Yeah, his kool-aid must be super sweet.
Read the post! If Wallace was so good that HE was dominating his opponents (i.e steamrolling them) then shouldn't people who saw it (i.e. media on limited basis) be commenting on how great he looked and that it obviously was an injustice for Wallace to not be the starter. I haven't heard or read anyone say Wallace deserves the spot

Youngsta71701

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 12:08:02 pm
And that is a plausible argument. It might even be argued that such a position is a logical extension of the type of program Jeff Long wants Bielema to run. The kids who play on Saturdays will be the ones who do what is expected Sunday through Friday, talent be darned.
And if that's the case both of them need to get the hell out of dodge. You need players that have an edge and toe the line from time to time. Enough of playing these choir boys that get whipped on Saturday and go sing a song on Sunday. We need a few bad boys.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 19, 2017, 12:18:37 pm
The fact that people think these coaches, who knew their jobs are on the line, aren't playing the best players is absolutely bananaland.

That they have some personal ill or vendetta against a better player but choose to sit him. If that's the case and these coaches are that arrogant, then they need to be gone.

But I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's not the case.
Do you think Clary is better than Wallace? At this point...