Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fewest Losing Seasons Since 1950

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 20, 2017, 08:37:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Arkansas tied at #22 with Clemson. 6th in the SEC behind Tennessee(#18T), Georgia(#18T), Auburn(#18T), Alabama(#10T) and Florida(#5).

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/6i24a0/fewest_losing_seasons_since_1950/
Go Hogs Go!

Hog Fan...DOH!

It's amazing how few long-term winning season streaks there are.

RME

Rank   | School     | Losing Seasons | Total Seasons | % Losing | Last Losing

102t  | MS State |          40          |        67           |   59.7%  |      2016

I've always thought very highly of Mullen, but wow. This stat compared to what he's done there makes his tenure pretty remarkable.

greasy_corner

FL St hasn't had a losing season since '76.  Wow. 

And poor, poor Vandy. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on June 20, 2017, 08:56:20 am
It's amazing how few long-term winning season streaks there are.

What's even more amazing is who would have thought Florida would have fewer than Bama.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 20, 2017, 09:57:36 am

What's even more amazing is who would have thought Florida would have fewer than Bama.

Yeah, but if you look closely, 3 of Alabama's losing seasons were by forfeit.  Then there was Coach Jennings B. Whitworth, who went 4-24-2 from 1955-57.  After CJW's lynching, Bear Bryant took over and never had a losing season.  Alabama has had only three true losing seasons since 1958.  Florida was the poster child for mediocrity from 1950 to 1990.

Arkansas had just 5 losing seasons from 1950 to 1989 but has had 10 since 1990. So, we've gone from roughly one losing season per decade to one every three years.  If you're lifelong fans in your mid-fifties or older, like a lot of us who hang around here all year, you see why our view of the program is often different than someone 35 and younger.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 20, 2017, 01:20:42 pm
Yeah, but if you look closely, 3 of Alabama's losing seasons were by forfeit.  Then there was Coach Jennings B. Whitworth, who went 4-24-2 from 1955-57.  After CJW's lynching, Bear Bryant took over and never had a losing season.  Alabama has had only three true losing seasons since 1958.  Florida was the poster child for mediocrity from 1950 to 1990.

Arkansas had just 5 losing seasons from 1950 to 1989 but has had 10 since 1990. So, we've gone from roughly one losing season per decade to one every three years.  If you're lifelong fans in your mid-fifties or older, like a lot of us who hang around here all year, you see why our view of the program is often different than someone 35 and younger.

I'll be 60 in two weeks and do remember those good old days. I was simply using the dates in the thread. Cherry picking timeframes does not make the op any less factual.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Hogs have 9 losing seasons since joining the sec in 1992. 9 out of 25.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

The first season I remember well is 1968.  That means the Hogs never had a losing record until my 23rd year as a fan.  I am also a Dallas Cowboys fan and can actually remember their seasons going back to 1966 and the NFL Championship Game loss to Green Bay in the Cotton Bowl.  That means during the first 20 years I watched pro football and the first 22 that I was a Hog fan I never experienced a losing record.

Arkansas was 183-67-7 during that time, an average record of better than 8-3.  The Cowboys were 208-79-2.  Their average season was better than 10-4, almost rounded to 11-4.  Combined record for both teams was 391-146-9...a winning percentage of .724.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 20, 2017, 01:42:17 pm
I'll be 60 in two weeks and do remember those good old days. I was simply using the dates in the thread. Cherry picking timeframes does not make the op any less factual.

I wasn't cherry-picking anything.  The main point was that three of Alabama's "losing seasons" were due to forfeits.  There are those who would say that Alabama has been the dirtiest program in the NCAA for many years.  I have no opinion on that myself, but those three seasons don't speak highly for the program. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

go hogues

Texas tied for 12th. Mind boggling they couldn't be a clear cut #1 on that list.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

TNRazorbacker

That pretty much tells the Hogs story. Rarely very good or bad.