Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long is emphatic: Arkansas coach Bret Bielema isn’t on the hot seat

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 03, 2017, 06:16:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 03, 2017, 07:41:16 pm
yeah like when he hired Jimmy Johnson over HDN ? oh wait that didn't happen. Danny Ford /Joe Kines deal was great too . And then there was the awesome Jack Crowe deal . Holtz and Harfield were decent but how would they have done in an SEC enviroment where half the conference or more is top 25 and all are around top 50 .

And one could make a decent argument that the Holtz hiring and firing was similar to BP's.  If Long is going to be criticized for firing BP, then Broyles deserves criticism for firing Holtz.  Nevermind the fact that both terminations were warranted.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

DeltaBoy

Quote from: GuvHog on June 03, 2017, 12:08:10 pm
The fact that he gave Bielema a 15 Million dollar buyout in 2014 shows that to be the case.

In Poker terms, Jeff Long went "All In" with a very "Iffy" hand.

Yes and if CBB doesn't start winning more both of them will be gone!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: GuvHog on June 03, 2017, 07:34:21 pm
The latter is correct when Heath was hired. Frank had Dana Altman hired but John White undercut him and basically ran Altman off after Frank left town. Broyles was never forced to do anything by his bosses.

Wrong!  Dana Altman left because the Razorback Basketball program was a festering turd and he wanted no part of it.  LOL.  IDK where some of you guys come up with this BS. 

And, for the record, you BB haters make me laugh.  He's not going anywhere and it's not just because of his buyout.  But, you guys tell yourself what you have to if it helps you sleep through the night.  LOL.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on June 04, 2017, 01:23:21 am
Wrong!  Dana Altman left because the Razorback Basketball program was a festering turd and he wanted no part of it.  LOL.  IDK where some of you guys come up with this BS. 

And, for the record, you BB haters make me laugh.  He's not going anywhere and it's not just because of his buyout.  But, you guys tell yourself what you have to if it helps you sleep through the night.  LOL.

They just like to whine. They know they have no voice in the decision, but Hogville gives a valve to vent.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

LZH

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: GuvHog on June 03, 2017, 07:34:21 pm
The latter is correct when Heath was hired. Frank had Dana Altman hired but John White undercut him and basically ran Altman off after Frank left town. Broyles was never forced to do anything by his bosses.

White ran Altman off less than 24 hours after being named the new coach? Are you seriously that stupid?
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 04, 2017, 05:21:01 am
White ran Altman off less than 24 hours after being named the new coach? Are you seriously that stupid?
He's Guv.  He just makes darn up.
All Gas, No Brakes!

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2017, 06:00:53 pm
This wasn't your normal "statement of confidence" that you think that it is. You need to read more closely. Now that may change in 2017 should Bielema win fewer than 8 in the regular season this year, but he is for all appearances, "all in" for Bielema because he sees more things than just wins as being important to Arkansas as long as he is the Athletic Director. The question is, does he begin to feel more pressure from the big money guys to make a change if Bielema can't get above 8 wins in a season?

Just an attempt to inject a little humor.  You won't find a bigger CBB fan on this board than me. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

LZH

Y'all take it easy on Guv, he gives it a swing when he can....

GuvHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 03, 2017, 07:44:40 pm
But you said he was removed from the hiring process with Pelphrey and Nutt, and I know the latter is true, so yes, Frank was forced.  How do you call it...like a crying baby in his high chair?  Or something like that.

Did White hire Jack Crow too?  Did White run off Jimmy Johnson before Frank could hire him?

No, he was not forced. John White gave the hiring ability to a committee.

Frank wasn't perfect, he made his share of mistakes, but he hired some good coaches too.

Jimmy Johnson had never been a college head coach when he was considered along with Holtz and Frank had a policy of never hiring assistants for head coaches. He broke that policy once and deeply regretted it.

Remember, if it hadn't been for Frank Broyles, there would have been no Eddie Sutton, no Nolan Richardson, and no basketball national title at Arkansas.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 04, 2017, 05:21:01 am

No, I got it right in that post you quoted.

GuvHog

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on June 04, 2017, 01:23:21 am

Wrong. Frank promised Altman that he could bring a certain member of his staff with him to Arkansas. After Frank left town, White went behind Frank's back and told Altman that he could not bring that staff member with him. THAT is why Altman changed his mind and went back to Creighton.

GuvHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 03, 2017, 07:48:03 pm
And one could make a decent argument that the Holtz hiring and firing was similar to BP's.  If Long is going to be criticized for firing BP, then Broyles deserves criticism for firing Holtz.  Nevermind the fact that both terminations were warranted.

Holtz was terminated because the program was in decline due to his poor recruiting and I agree the termination was warranted

Petrino's actions did not warrant termination. Long was wrong.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: GuvHog on June 04, 2017, 01:21:17 pm
Wrong. Frank promised Altman that he could bring a certain member of his staff with him to Arkansas. After Frank left town, White went behind Frank's back and told Altman that he could not bring that staff member with him. THAT is why Altman changed his mind and went back to Creighton.
There are different versions of what happened and there's no way, as far as I'm concerned, to know which version is true.

A staff member under Frank insists to this day that Altman was never sold on the Arkansas job and basically decided to leave after realizing that he didn't belong at Arkansas.

There's another version that has Altman realizing, when he started meeting individually with the players, that one of them had a shoe contract and another one had been getting his tests taken by girl provided by the basketball team's academic adviser. When Altman brought this up at dinner with John White and asked for permission to hire in his academic adviser at Creighton White allegedly turned away from Altman and ignored him for the rest of the evening.

The ex staffer that I spoke with denies this story.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GuvHog on June 04, 2017, 01:24:18 pm
Holtz was terminated because the program was in decline due to his poor recruiting and I agree the termination was warranted

So Holtz put the program in decline?  And he was a JFB hire?  Man, maybe JFB wasn't the master of coaching hires you claim him to be.

And BP absolutely warranted termination. 

Your delusional ways continue as usual.  I really hope you're never, ever on a witness stand under any circumstance.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

LZH

Quote from: GuvHog on June 04, 2017, 01:24:18 pm

Holtz was terminated for being Holtz.

And Frank Broyles would not have ever hired Jimmy Johnson, his recruiting tactics were a little suspect. At least that's what someone told my daddy years ago.

And Guv, you can't blame Jeff long for firing Bobby Petrino. Petrino got his own ass fired. I know you don't believe it, but he had a very reasonable chance to keep his job but played chicken with Long. He said so himself.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 04, 2017, 01:33:41 pm
There are different versions of what happened and there's no way, as far as I'm concerned, to know which version is true.

A staff member under Frank insists to this day that Altman was never sold on the Arkansas job and basically decided to leave after realizing that he didn't belong at Arkansas.

There's another version that has Altman realizing, when he started meeting individually with the players, that one of them had a shoe contract and another one had been getting his tests taken by girl provided by the basketball team's academic adviser. When Altman brought this up at dinner with John White and asked for permission to hire in his academic adviser at Creighton White allegedly turned away from Altman and ignored him for the rest of the evening.

The ex staffer that I spoke with denies this story.

I totally buy the second paragraph as to why he abruptly flipped.  Just a hunch.  Could buy the last one too.  Ironically, Dana could have ended up being one of Frank's best ever hires, but we'll never know.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GuvHog on June 04, 2017, 01:14:36 pm
No, he was not forced. John White gave the hiring ability to a committee.

Frank wasn't perfect, he made his share of mistakes, but he hired some good coaches too.

Jimmy Johnson had never been a college head coach when he was considered along with Holtz and Frank had a policy of never hiring assistants for head coaches. He broke that policy once and deeply regretted it.

Remember, if it hadn't been for Frank Broyles, there would have been no Eddie Sutton, no Nolan Richardson, and no basketball national title at Arkansas.

You keep going to basketball, which I agree, but the original context was football hiring.  Frank was absolutely nothing special there.  His hires were no better than what Long has hired...Long's small hiring sample notwithstanding.

factchecker

Quote from: GuvHog on June 04, 2017, 01:14:36 pm

Coach Broyles best hire was probably John McDonnell.

36 years = 42 NCAA championships and 83 conference titles.

McDonnell built a dynasty.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 04, 2017, 01:42:39 pm

And Frank Broyles would not have ever hired Jimmy Johnson, his recruiting tactics were a little suspect. At least that's what someone told my daddy years ago.

And Guv, you can't blame Jeff long for firing Bobby Petrino. Petrino got his own ass fired. I know you don't believe it, but he had a very reasonable chance to keep his job but played chicken with Long. He said so himself.

And the thing is, if Petrino had continued to make Arkansas a winner at a higher level given our recruiting disadvantage in the SEC (which didn't seem likely given the downturn in recruiting) he wouldn't have been here for much longer. Some school would have figured, "If he can do that at Arkansas, what can he do with us with our better recruiting?", and they would have thrown a boatload of money at him and he would have been gone. BP is loyal to one entity, himself. He is the epitome of a mercenary. So all of this talk about how keeping him would have led to more prolonged winning is really naive. The first time he was offered more money, he would have been history.

The thing is, as he has seemed to do at every place that he has been, he is the one who "took a dump in his own mess-kit" and put himself in a position where he had to take a lesser job to get back into coaching and has now found his way back into a P-5 conference. Though he has been apologetic and contrite in getting back to Louisville (again), I predict the inner-demons will rise again, perhaps at his next job and he will shoot himself in the foot, once again. It is only a matter of time. And really, for someone who is truly one of the great offensive minds in college football, it is a shame that he can't seem to get his ego out of his own way.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Good article.  He just re-iterated what everyone already knows.  He's not going anywhere, he's unaccountable and we're going to continue to struggle.  Deal with it.

Maybe the focus should now be put on Long moreso?

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 05, 2017, 07:39:09 am
Good article.  He just re-iterated what everyone already knows.  He's not going anywhere, he's unaccountable and we're going to continue to struggle.  Deal with it.

Maybe the focus should now be put on Long moreso?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2017, 06:16:25 am
I think that we all knew that Bielema had at least one more season to begin to win more than 7 or 8 games each season before he would possibly be in danger of being replaced, but Jeff Long sounds as if he isn't just issuing a standard statement of confidence for the benefit of the Press. 

So, is Bielema on — or approaching — the hot seat?

Absolutely not, according to his boss. And this wasn't one of those soft denials that some athletic directors respond with to these questions; Long was emphatic.

"Bret is the leader of our program," Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long told SEC Country during an interview this week at SEC spring meetings. "The leader is more than just winning games — and I know some fans don't wanna hear that. Trust me, it doesn't mean we aren't competing with every fiber of our being to win in the toughest conference and the toughest division of that conference. But when you look at what Bret's doing, we're building a program that's built on an outstanding foundation."

For his part, Bielema said he does not feel like he's under pressure entering 2017. "I understand why people would think that," Bielema said, "but I think our program is in a place where we're extremely healthy."

More inside:

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-football-bret-bielema-jeff-long

Sounds alot like the same things he said about Mike Anderson at various times in his tenure. To me it just appears to be a administration policy of giving plenty of time to keep stability in just about every sport.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: LZH on June 04, 2017, 01:42:39 pm

Jeff Long stated in his notes that he gave BP conditions for staying but in the termination press conference, Long flatly denied giving BP conditions for staying, saying BP's staying was never an option. Did he lie in his notes or did he lie at the press conference??

hogcard1964

Quote from: GuvHog on June 05, 2017, 09:40:21 am
Jeff Long stated in his notes that he gave BP conditions for staying but in the termination press conference, Long flatly denied giving BP conditions for staying, saying BP's staying was never an option. Did he lie in his notes or did he lie at the press conference??

Was he asked this?

ricepig

Hawgar The Horrible

Confabulation:
In psychiatry, confabulation (verb: confabulate) is a disturbance of memory, defined as the production of fabricated, distorted, or misinterpreted memories about oneself or the world, without the conscious intention to deceive.[1] People who confabulate present incorrect memories ranging from "subtle alterations to bizarre fabrications",[2] and are generally very confident about their recollections, despite contradictory evidence.[3]
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 05, 2017, 09:56:33 am
I think we really need to put this "educational" narrative to rest.  When the NCAA instituted the APR requirement, some schools suffered initially because there wasn't much focus on education across the college sports landscape.  Since the APR was instituted, MOST college sports programs across the country focuses on academics so the policy worked.  UA football is NOT in this FALSE narrative orb of doing more academically than other schools across the country.  Obviously UA is graduating more FB players now but so are MOST schools across the country.  I will have to go back and do a little more research but I know for a fact the UA FB program, according to the last APR finished 8th in the SEC.  So my question is, where did this superior academic narrative come from.  8th in the SEC and 60 something nationally.  According to those numbers, at least 7 ADs and HCs in the SEC are doing a better job managing academics than JL and BB.  What's uncommon about that?  To buy this academic narrative is to bury our heads in the sand and pretend the rest of the country doesn't exist.  In college sports today, EVERY AD and HC are focused on academics.  That's a fact because if it weren't, wouldn't more teams be on probation for not meeting APR reaquirements?  It's time to put the academic narrative to rest, it's a smoke screen and a lot of people on here are blinded by said smoke.

You always seem to have a complaint about the academic side of things when your true motive is, to heck with academic emphasis and graduating more players, to heck with running a clean program, jump in the cesspool of "win at all costs" college football, cheat if necessary, but just win more games. Or at least that is how your rants normally seem to come off. And you aren't "all wise and knowledgable" my friend. We all understand our APR ranking and the desire to win and all of us want to win more games, it is just that some of us (maybe most of us) aren't willing to trade the integrity of the program for wins. It is difficult these days, to have both.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: GuvHog on June 05, 2017, 09:40:21 am

Press conference, apparently.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 05, 2017, 09:43:36 am
Was he asked this?

No, he was never asked the question I just asked. There were several areas where his press conference speech differed from what his notes said but he was never pressed about it.

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 05, 2017, 09:56:33 am
I think we really need to put this "educational" narrative to rest.  When the NCAA instituted the APR requirement, some schools suffered initially because there wasn't much focus on education across the college sports landscape.  Since the APR was instituted, MOST college sports programs across the country focuses on academics so the policy worked.  UA football is NOT in this FALSE narrative orb of doing more academically than other schools across the country.  Obviously UA is graduating more FB players now but so are MOST schools across the country.  I will have to go back and do a little more research but I know for a fact the UA FB program, according to the last APR finished 8th in the SEC.  So my question is, where did this superior academic narrative come from.  8th in the SEC and 60 something nationally.  According to those numbers, at least 7 ADs and HCs in the SEC are doing a better job managing academics than JL and BB.  What's uncommon about that?  To buy this academic narrative is to bury our heads in the sand and pretend the rest of the country doesn't exist.  In college sports today, EVERY AD and HC are focused on academics.  That's a fact because if it weren't, wouldn't more teams be on probation for not meeting APR reaquirements?  It's time to put the academic narrative to rest, it's a smoke screen and a lot of people on here are blinded by said smoke.

Improving is something to be proud of, regardless of how much/little others are improving. Having the best in program history anything is not a smokescreen. You are offended that recognition is being given for something other than the only thing you care about. You are so frustrated with the programs inability to date to reach your standard, that you are mocking other peoples pride in improvement in aspects of the program that you take no interest in and deem unimportant. You further twist that into the false interpretation that those folks obviously feel that what is important to you is not important to them. I get that you simplify the field and focus on only 1 aspect of the program and grow increasingly frustrated with those that choose to focus on multiple aspects of the program at the same time, but you come off as petty and shallow in doing so. Regardless of how offensive you find academic improvements, or best in program history accomplishments, there are those that still take an interest in them and are happy to hear about them through athletic department channels.

Carry on with your conspiracy theory that our administration is doing sleight of hand magic tricks, and you are just too smart to fall for it :)

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on June 05, 2017, 09:55:20 am
Balloon note due in 2020......

LOL

Just give him 13 seasons.  He's bound to win 11 games once.   ;)

TuckFexas81

reason for this is his Buyout if fired is SO ridiculously high that we can't even think about firing him now.

BUYOUT AMOUNT BY YEAR:

Fired before 2018 $15.4 Million

2019 $11.7 Million

2020 $7.9 Million

$4 Million on his final year of contract.

He's not going any where for a while!

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 05, 2017, 12:28:54 pm
I don't know why every time I post you call it a rant but if it's a rant, it's not much different than most posts on this site from others.  But if it comes off as a rant, I'll have to do better conveying my opinion.

All I was attempting to say is that while everyone talking about "building it the right way, academia, graduate rates, Tara, Yama, Yama, is that this is not exclusive to JL and BB.  It's happening all across the country so therefore, it doesn't set B.B. apart from any other coach in America.  Obviously some on here doesn't know that because they keep bringing it up.

And by the way, I am not anti-education.  I have a college degree, all of my siblings have college degrees, all three of my sons have bachelors or higher, with one in med school.  My sister is a Vice-Chancellor at a state of Arkansas school.  I am not saying this to brag, just letting you know that College degrees are on top of the priority list for me so therefore I am not win at all cost and don't care about education definable.

I was simply stating a fact which is, "there is absolutely nothing BB is doing with his player's education that most other coaches aren't doing also."  That's just a hard fact BB apologist need to accept.   

Yet many here accuse the successful program of cheating.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

younghog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 03, 2017, 07:10:05 pm
It is indeed accurate. He was under serious pressure from some BOT members and Big money boosters to hire Petrino and he caved in to the pressure. He never wanted Petrino.

Jeff Long was force fed Mike Anderson like a baby in a high chair. He had no choice BUT to hire him.

No way he was force fed Mike Anderson.. <-- Joke statement.. He wanted Mike Anderson..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

hogcard1964

Quote from: TuckFexas81 on June 05, 2017, 11:26:07 am
reason for this is his Buyout if fired is SO ridiculously high that we can't even think about firing him now.

BUYOUT AMOUNT BY YEAR:

Fired before 2018 $15.4 Million

2019 $11.7 Million

2020 $7.9 Million

$4 Million on his final year of contract.

He's not going any where for a while!

January 2019 is doable, but it's not going to happen.  All he has to do is win 6 games.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 05, 2017, 12:28:54 pm
I don't know why every time I post you call it a rant but if it's a rant, it's not much different than most posts on this site from others.  But if it comes off as a rant, I'll have to do better conveying my opinion.

All I was attempting to say is that while everyone talking about "building it the right way, academia, graduate rates, Tara, Yama, Yama, is that this is not exclusive to JL and BB.  It's happening all across the country so therefore, it doesn't set B.B. apart from any other coach in America.  Obviously some on here doesn't know that because they keep bringing it up.

And by the way, I am not anti-education.  I have a college degree, all of my siblings have college degrees, all three of my sons have bachelors or higher, with one in med school.  My sister is a Vice-Chancellor at a state of Arkansas school.  I am not saying this to brag, just letting you know that College degrees are on top of the priority list for me so therefore I am not win at all cost and don't care about education definable.

I was simply stating a fact which is, "there is absolutely nothing BB is doing with his player's education that most other coaches aren't doing also."  That's just a hard fact BB apologist need to accept.   

Maybe because, most every time you post, you are complaining about not winning more or agreeing with someone else who is complaining about the same thing.

As a person with a degree and a family full of degrees, I would certainly hope that you see the value in that and that is what puzzles me about your posts. You sound as if you are complaining about Arkansas making a big deal out of improving our record of APR scores and more players graduating.

Sure everyone is trying to do the same thing, but we have improved on that and that is why it is a big deal. If you have ever had a kid on an athletic scholarship you understand why it is such a big deal that their AD and HC also make a a big deal out of it. It wasn't always that way and at some places, it still isn't a big deal. Some coaching staffs are like, "Make sure you go to class, get your grades and stay eligible while you are here, but if you leave early for the NFL or transfer, then "whew", at least we covered our arses while you were here".

I prefer the coaches who really give more of a "rip" about their players than just what they can do for them on the field. The guys who remember their players long after they are gone and are still not only willing, but anxious to help them be a success in life. That is what coaching is really about, the development of young people, helping them learn the right habits that will help them be successful in life, teaching them the value of building quality relationships and making a commitment to excellence, not just for yourself, but a commitment to others to help them achieve their goals and dreams. And, a respect for themselves and others. By doing so you are not only building quality individuals but the recognition that no one can get it done all by themselves, it takes a team. But I digress.

I'm very proud of what Bielema is accomplishing with this team and the young men that he is building for the future through our program and yes, getting a degree is a very big thing for these young men and the program.

Just because some of us embrace this and think it is a huge deal, doesn't mean that we don't want to win more, of course we do. As I said in another thread, there are some people on here who seem to freak out and constantly complain about not winning more and want something done "NOW", but I am pretty sure that if the best that Bielema can produce is 7-8 wins each season, his time here will eventually run out. No one, not Long, not boosters, not fans, are going to be happy with that forever. Only Long knows how long he is willing to tolerate 7-8 wins each year, despite all of the other good things happening inside the program.

I'll tell you this, what I want to see is a team that accomplishes good things in the classroom, continues to graduate players and produces really good, quality human beings. That's important. What is also important is that we go into games completely prepared, make good in-game adjustments, have a good game plan and play disciplined football that doesn't result in unnecessary mistakes that just hand the game to the opponent. Play "clean" football. If we do those things and play for 4 full quarters and leave everything on the field and still lose, so be it. Nothing to hang your head about at that point.
Go Hogs Go!

casken

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 05, 2017, 02:41:44 pm
Maybe because, most every time you post, you are complaining about not winning more or agreeing with someone else who is complaining about the same thing.

As a person with a degree and a family full of degrees, I would certainly hope that you see the value in that and that is what puzzles me about your posts. You sound as if you are complaining about Arkansas making a big deal out of improving our record of APR scores and more players graduating.

Sure everyone is trying to do the same thing, but we have improved on that and that is why it is a big deal. If you have ever had a kid on an athletic scholarship you understand why it is such a big deal that their AD and HC also make a a big deal out of it. It wasn't always that way and at some places, it still isn't a big deal. Some coaching staffs are like, "Make sure you go to class, get your grades and stay eligible while you are here, but if you leave early for the NFL or transfer, then "whew", at least we covered our arses while you were here".

I prefer the coaches who really give more of a "rip" about their players than just what they can do for them on the field. The guys who remember their players long after they are gone and are still not only willing, but anxious to help them be a success in life. That is what coaching is really about, the development of young people, helping them learn the right habits that will help them be successful in life, teaching them the value of building quality relationships and making a commitment to excellence, not just for yourself, but a commitment to others to help them achieve their goals and dreams. And, a respect for themselves and others. By doing so you are not only building quality individuals but the recognition that no one can get it done all by themselves, it takes a team. But I digress.

I'm very proud of what Bielema is accomplishing with this team and the young men that he is building for the future through our program and yes, getting a degree is a very big thing for these young men and the program.

Just because some of us embrace this and think it is a huge deal, doesn't mean that we don't want to win more, of course we do. As I said in another thread, there are some people on here who seem to freak out and constantly complain about not winning more and want something done "NOW", but I am pretty sure that if the best that Bielema can produce is 7-8 wins each season, his time here will eventually run out. No one, not Long, not boosters, not fans, are going to be happy with that forever. Only Long knows how long he is willing to tolerate 7-8 wins each year, despite all of the other good things happening inside the program.

I'll tell you this, what I want to see is a team that accomplishes good things in the classroom, continues to graduate players and produces really good, quality human beings. That's important. What is also important is that we go into games completely prepared, make good in-game adjustments, have a good game plan and play disciplined football that doesn't result in unnecessary mistakes that just hand the game to the opponent. Play "clean" football. If we do those things and play for 4 full quarters and leave everything on the field and still lose, so be it. Nothing to hang your head about at that point.

Agreed!
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Mike Irwin

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 05, 2017, 09:18:31 am
Why do some on here keep calling the UA a dumpster fire when BB came in?  The UA was NOT a dumpster fire.  Show me one thread of evidence suggesting it was.  BP's personal actions reflected on nobody but BP not the Razorback FB program.  Some on here bought the "time ensuring" narrative pushed by a snake oil salesman (BB).  That make those pushing the narrative the dumpster fire!
I can tell you flat out it was a dumpster fire. Petrino ran the football program like a military academy. You did what he said 100%. You did not question anything. The players bought into it because it worked. They were winning games. End of story. That is until they found out that while Petrino was demanding a total commitment from them he was personally doing whatever the hell he wanted to do. When he got fired he reached out to a couple of the players but blew the rest of them off. In time it also became apparent that while he was doing his playboy on a motorcycle act his recruiting was going south.

In walked John L. Smith, the ultimate huckster. He sold Jeff Long and the players on the notion that he was Petrino's mentor. If you hire me you will have Petrino because he learned everything from me. Of course it was a crock. John L. was facing bankruptcy and needed money fast. He collected a cool $800,000 for sitting on his butt for 8 months while cracking bad jokes. The program went to hell and by the time Bielema walked in the door most of the players didn't believe in anyone or anything.

It took a while but Bielema was able to convince the players he wasn't a con man and he really did care about them. But this happened at a time when Ole Miss was cheating like a mother, Alabama was becoming a dynasty and A&M was enjoying the recruiting benefits of moving to the SEC. And of course St. Gus was moving heaven and Earth trying to beat Arkansas each year. Even Mississippi State was a force under Dan Mullen who may be the best quarterbacks coach in college football. The West has never been as tough as it's been the last four seasons.

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 05, 2017, 03:16:47 pm
  In time it also became apparent that while he was doing his playboy on a motorcycle act his recruiting was going south.

this was the most hurtful, long term, as it left whoever came in with little to work with. Look how many FR BB had to start in 2013, many at key positions. Started either 2 or 3 fr on the oline. A Fr at MLB, and had a FR getting lots of time at TB. Started a Fr at TE as well. Maybe one on the DL too. IF you are starting a FR at MLB in the sec, its either because he is Mike Singletary part II or its because that's all you have.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 05, 2017, 04:11:28 pm
this was the most hurtful, long term, as it left whoever came in with little to work with. Look how many FR BB had to start in 2013, many at key positions. Started either 2 or 3 fr on the oline. A Fr at MLB, and had a FR getting lots of time at TB. Started a Fr at TE as well. Maybe one on the DL too. IF you are starting a FR at MLB in the sec, its either because he is Mike Singletary part II or its because that's all you have.

Look how many of BP's recruits started on defense in 2014. That was CBB's best defense since his arrival.

LZH

Quote from: GuvHog on June 05, 2017, 05:01:05 pm
Look how many of BP's recruits started on defense in 2014. That was CBB's best defense since his arrival.

It's never as good as it seems, and it's never as bad as it seems.

One thing is for sure, I bet Tyler Wilson would love to kick Bobby Petrino's ass every chance he could.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 05, 2017, 05:51:31 pm

One thing is for sure, I bet Tyler Wilson would love to kick Bobby Petrino's ass every chance he could.

I'll bet that TW would have benefited from another year under BP's supervision and teaching, because working for PP and JLS didn't do much for him.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 05, 2017, 06:00:33 pm
I'll bet that TW would have benefited from another year under BP's supervision and teaching, because working for PP and JLS didn't do much for him.

It's my understanding that BP personally asked TW to stay another year. That probably cost that boy a lot of money.

HognitiveDissonance

I don't believe Bielema is on anybody's hot seat...nor should be.
He's not Petrino from a W/L standpoint, but he does things the right way, and he wins just enough to keep people optimistic.
I've said before averaging 7-8 wins a year here is enough to keep your job forever. Is it great? No, but it's enough to keep your job.

Having said that, to quote Dwight Eisenhower "The best morale occurs when no one is talking about it."

Making application here: people are talking about 'hot seat'. Just the fact that there is a thread about this is not a good thing.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 05, 2017, 06:22:16 pm
It's my understanding that BP personally asked TW to stay another year. That probably cost that boy a lot of money.

If BP had stayed out of trouble and been here for 2012 I think TW would have wound up being a better QB and made more money in the NFL and, might have been improved enough to have hung around a little longer. But who knows? It's all speculation at this point.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: LZH on June 05, 2017, 05:51:31 pm

I seriously doub6t it. Tyler was a much better QB under BP's tutelage than he was his last year under smiley. He actually developed under Petrino then regressed under smiley.

GuvHog

Quote from: LZH on June 05, 2017, 06:22:16 pm

Very unlikely. Tyler wasn't ready for the NFL after only one year as the Hogs starting QB.