Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rapid Dial

Started by holeinthewall, March 12, 2017, 08:19:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

holeinthewall

What a race he ran 1st time out 1:09.72.  Looked like a pro the entire race. 

cbhawg03

Don't buy the hype of her horses.  Who was FTS couple years back that broke maiden going 5.5 impressive then never did a thing afterwards. 

holeinthewall

I am not hyping the horse I watched the race live. The horse was impressive especially for a 1st time starter.  I'm not saying he is triple crown horse but he smoked the 6F and kicked in the lane like a winner should

The Hogfather

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 13, 2017, 09:33:51 am
I am not hyping the horse I watched the race live. The horse was impressive especially for a 1st time starter.  I'm not saying he is triple crown horse but he smoked the 6F and kicked in the lane like a winner should

I agree.  Thought the same thing.  She has been killing it with firsters, but he actually looked like he could go on to do some good things.  Was up fairly close to the pace, made a move, and basically put it on cruise control.

userpick

Runs today in race 8. I'm wrong 100 times a day but I'm against him today.

userpick

Well another time I'm wrong. Thought he was beat. Nice horse although he regressed today which was to be expected after a monster effort first out and short rest.

heavylifting

For what it's worth, he was nominated to the Triple Crown after his maiden win.

The Hogfather

Quote from: heavylifting on March 26, 2017, 08:41:53 pm
For what it's worth, he was nominated to the Triple Crown after his maiden win.

Can't figure out why they ran him in a 6F race after nominating him.  Any thoughts?

kingoftherapids

i think its about 2.5% of nominees see the starting gate. he basically has to win the derby to get in at this point

The Hogfather

Quote from: kingoftherapids on March 27, 2017, 09:00:31 am
i think its about 2.5% of nominees see the starting gate. he basically has to win the derby to get in at this point

Right.  They nominated him late, though, indicating they were going to try to get him qualified.  Why wouldn't they look for a route for him to run in?  He only has two 6 furlong races now, right?

kingoftherapids

yep. going for the big bang. one of my good friends bred one with hollendorfer that they nominated a few weeks back. also was nominated the same day to the santa anita derby. we will see if the connections go straight in or they decide to pursue midsummer series instead

heavylifting

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2017, 09:02:55 am
Right.  They nominated him late, though, indicating they were going to try to get him qualified.  Why wouldn't they look for a route for him to run in?  He only has two 6 furlong races now, right?
Excellent question with a rather simple answer. There were no 2-turn races for 3yo or 3 and up at the NW1x level last weekend and there aren't any in the book for this weekend, either. The only way one goes is if the Racing Office were to add one as an extra race, but maybe there aren't enough horses on the grounds to make it fill.

The next NW1x race going 2 turns is on April 6, if the Racing Office chooses to use it, which they probably will. Not that it will do Rapid Dial any good, because he's no longer eligible, but Mason obviously wasn't willing to wait with this horse. The iron is hot and she struck.

It's possible, too, that they're not thinking Derby, but maybe Preakness. Never can tell. After the Derby carnage, there aren't always a lot of horses that want to go on to Baltimore. Maybe she's hoping there will be some low-hanging fruit there; even 2nd or 3rd there would be a big deal when trying to make this colt a stallion later on. And she is a part-owner, so that would be especially meaningful to her with a lot of residual income down the road.

Since she is basically an Illinois trainer, my guess is that her next move will be the Illinois Derby at Hawthorne on April 22. By running Rapid Dial on Sunday, she now has 4 weeks to get him ready, if that is, indeed, her target.

And if he runs well there and the Kentucky Derby scenario really gets scrambled, that would give her 2 weeks to get the horse ready, although she would almost certainly not have the points to get in. So probably looking at the Preakness if he continues to progress.

holeinthewall

QuoteRapid Dial sold for $75,000 in June 2016 at an Ocala, Fla., auction of 2-year-olds and horses of racing age. He missed a scheduled early-season start at Oaklawn because of a minor stomach ailment before debuting successfully by 2 3/4 lengths March 11.

Sunday's victory boosted the colt's earnings to $92,400, covering both his purchase price and $6,000 necessary to nominate him to the Triple Crown. Mason said before Sunday's race that if all goes well, Rapid Dial will be considered for a closing-day stake at Oaklawn: the $150,000 Northern Spur at 1 1/16 miles or the Grade 1 $1 million Arkansas Derby at nine furlongs.

"He's really bred to go longer," Mason said last week. "But I'm kind of wanting to bring him up slowly, plus the purse is so good that the best way to capitalize on a horse like that is to run him through the condition."

Mason bought Jan. 26 Oaklawn maiden winner Seven Forty Seven at the same sale.

http://www.hotsr.com/news/2017/mar/27/tc-nominee-rapid-dial-wins-second-start/