Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long

Started by razorbackfaninar, November 09, 2017, 04:47:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 09:43:24 am
It will come out Rice...I am sure you know already. You would have to.

PRJ

So seriously that's the reason I am asking, I'm a fan and i care about the program as much as anyone. If Jeff Long has "stolen" something then just say what it is supposed to have been.  This isn't a court of law and I dare say PorkrindJimmy isn't your given name so what is the danger? if you know something to just say so.

woodhog14

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 10, 2017, 09:35:36 am
The department is making more money than ever in it's history though.  How is he a crook? (again I am not being smart I am legitimately asking)
You do know that the TV contracts are why the atheltic department is making more money ever in it's history right? Jeff Long had ZERO, NOTHING, NADA to do with that.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 10, 2017, 09:48:07 am
So seriously that's the reason I am asking, I'm a fan and i care about the program as much as anyone. If Jeff Long has "stolen" something then just say what it is supposed to have been.  This isn't a court of law and I dare say PorkrindJimmy isn't your given name so what is the danger? if you know something to just say so.

Contracts, policies, jets....etc.

There is a reason some people have been calling for an audit.

It will come out.

PRJ

Count Hogula

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2017, 09:40:15 am
Besides stealing our football team, what else has he stolen, lol???

ricepig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 09:43:24 am
It will come out Rice...I am sure you know already. You would have to.

PRJ

Nope, I'm sorry I don't. I guess I'll read about it in the funny papers.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2017, 09:53:25 am
Nope, I'm sorry I don't. I guess I'll read about it in the funny papers.

No...you'll be reading it legitimately soon enough.

PRJ

ricepig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 09:50:56 am

It will come out.

PRJ

We have a jet missing?

thebignasty

Quote from: hawgon on November 10, 2017, 08:08:59 am
It would be easier to take and give credit for whatever good Jeff Long may have done if there wasn't a virtual full court propaganda press on everything from all athletic department sources and on the message boards.

Jeff Long isn't some sort of godlike AD.  He might be adequate to good, but business wise, he isn't doing anything that most other SEC ADs aren't doing.  Pretty much everyone in the conference makes a lot of money and has nice facilities.  No need to get into the back and forth on his hires.  I will say this though, every other AD in the conference with the exception of Kentucky is judged by the football program almost exclusively.

But anyway, it seems that whenever there is the slightest criticism of him, posters come out of the woodwork to defend him.  And mostly, they do it in a very condescending and immature way.

This is about the fairest assessment of Jeffie on here, based on public knowledge. I would argue that the nastiness runs pretty equally both ways, for some reason.

If some of the rumblings are true, then half the board is going to feel real validated by their guessing. I guess I hope they are, because if they aren't the divide will continue.

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

thebignasty

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 09:54:35 am
No...you'll be reading it legitimately soon enough.

PRJ

New rumor mongers pay attention.  This is how you spread a good rumor.
But they win

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2017, 09:55:03 am
We have a jet missing?

Did I say he straight up jacked transportation items?

You know what white collar crime is? You know what unethical business practices are...I don't have to explain it.

I didn't say the man snatched a Case combine off your property....

I just want to thank the rice farmers for all that you do.....

PRJ

island hog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 10, 2017, 09:44:40 am

Question for KennyAD...If Petrino had been retained and subsequently decided to leave UA for another program, would you feel the same way about Long? 

COACHINTEXAS

How about hiring a guy from northern Iowa to take over the Norte dame of track. Sorry ass hire imo!!!
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 09, 2017, 10:01:13 pm
Unless you have been caught up in the Jeff Long machine...

Unless you have personally dealt with his arrogance...

Unless you have seen how much he truly lacks integrity...

Then you just don't know the reason why so many will be glad to see him gone.

OK you are a person whose opinion I have respected over the years so this bears some weight.  People on here know and trust you so what I am asking and the reason that I started this thread is if this is the case why don't you just explain what you are talking about?  What is the point of saying he's arrogant and lacks integrity but not giving any example. Most of us are adults here, If you know something that isn't too personal to share can you just say "hey this thing happened in this way and because of it I think he lacks integrity". I am not even arguing that he doesn't lack integrity, but I am just  tired of people saying "he needs to go" but their reasons don't have any substance

thebignasty

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on November 10, 2017, 10:01:47 am
How about hiring a guy from northern Iowa to take over the Norte dame of track. Sorry ass hire imo!!!

Bucknam?

He's done a fine job.
But they win

Wildhog

Quote from: thebignasty on November 10, 2017, 10:04:46 am
Bucknam?

He's done a fine job.

I'll never understand the people that gnash teeth over where a coach is from.  It's really stupid.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 09:58:45 am
Did I say he straight up jacked transportation items?

You know what white collar crime is? You know what unethical business practices are...I don't have to explain it.

I didn't say the man snatched a Case combine off your property....

I just want to thank the rice farmers for all that you do.....

PRJ

I'm 100% Green, lol. As to the other, there's an internal audit team in LR that scours the different campuses, if there are improprieties, they will be found. If the can't, then the Legislative Audit committee will, just ask Gearhart and the Academic Advancement team and UAF Foundation. I'm sorry, I don't trust speculation without facts posted on here. I don't trust some of the stuff I post at times, even if it comes from the horse's mouth, because I didn't see the paperwork, lol.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 10, 2017, 07:59:34 am
Your family member sounds like he knows what he is talking about.
You sound like you have come in to some information recently.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on November 10, 2017, 10:06:20 am
I'll never understand the people that gnash teeth over where a coach is from.  It's really stupid.

May Delta have mercy on your soul....

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 09, 2017, 05:29:46 pm
Jeff Long is paid to run a business not be a friend. He had failed at running the most visible portion of that business. Lots of CEOs get fired for what it appears they have done rather than for what they have actually accomplished and he should be too. If you can't see that, you obviously don't read enough Wall Street Journal. It's as much about what he appeared to do, or not do, than what he did.

I still disagree with firing him (yet) but this is a really darn good point, imo. It's a little different in that our valuation isn't directly tied to perception because we don't have shareholders. But boosters and fans sort of fill that role.

In economic terms, brand loyalty here is extremely elastic. I'll never be a Bama fan, despite the disparate quality, for example. But there are substitute products like the NFL and deer season.

It would be an interesting paper, actually. Makes me wish I was back in school.

East Clintwood

Quote from: island hog on November 10, 2017, 10:01:16 am
Question for KennyAD...If Petrino had been retained and subsequently decided to leave UA for another program, would you feel the same way about Long? 

I'm not Kenny but I'll answer that for me anyway.

The way I feel about Jeff Long began long before Bobby Petrino was fired.  Now, his firing certainly reinforced how I felt as have many subsequent actions on his part but I already wanted him gone well before that.

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

PorkRinds

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 10, 2017, 10:18:00 am

I'm not Kenny but I'll answer that for me anyway.

The way I feel about Jeff Long began long before Bobby Petrino was fired.  Now, his firing certainly reinforced how I felt as have many subsequent actions on his part but I already wanted him gone well before that.

What did he do before petrino was fired to ruffle your feathers?

The NewEra

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 09:50:56 am

It will come out.

PRJ

You're making charges against someone but saying only an audit would prove you right or wrong.  Do you have any idea how low you've managed to bring any credibility you might have.  I'm not necessarily a Jeff Long fan, but this is just flat wrong in your approach.

Marshfieldhog

East Clintwood

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 10, 2017, 10:18:46 am
What did he do before petrino was fired to ruffle your feathers?

I worked with a Pitt alum when Jeff was their AD.  I listened to him gripe for years about how Long was destroying their athletic department because he wasn't a sports guy, didn't understand them, and didn't share their beliefs about what university athletics should be. 

When White hired him, I looked into it a lot more closely and found that my coworkers feelings about Long seemed to be shared by a great many Pittsburgh fans.  When you combined Whites feelings about athletics and Longs feelings it was pretty clear that athletics at the UofA were in for a rough ride.

When he attempted to hire Bowden and did hire Grobe (other than signing the contract), the deal was sealed for me -- I wanted him gone.  And nothing that he's done since has changed my feelings at all.  He's not good for us and never has been.

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

thebignasty

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 10, 2017, 10:27:58 am
Gerry Faust level of fine

No one will ever have a run like John McDonnell again. Bucknam is an 18 time SEC coach of the year in 10 years on the job- he's just following and honest to god legend.
But they win

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 09, 2017, 10:01:13 pm
Unless you have been caught up in the Jeff Long machine...

Unless you have personally dealt with his arrogance...

Unless you have seen how much he truly lacks integrity...

Then you just don't know the reason why so many will be glad to see him gone.

Thank  you!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: thebignasty on November 10, 2017, 11:04:22 am

No one will ever have a run like John McDonnell again. Bucknam is an 18 time SEC coach of the year in 10 years on the job- he's just following and honest to god legend.

It's more than that. Being that John McDonnell was the legend that he was, the thing to have done would have been to simply promote his #2 man whom he mentored and recommended But Long ran him off and brought in Bucknam. A lot of people were not happy about Long ignoring McDonnell's recommendation. It was kind of like slapping the legend in the face.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

oldhog63

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on November 10, 2017, 10:01:47 am
I have always wondered about that hire, especially when the #2 guy wanted the job and ends up having to leave and goes to Florida and winning the championships he would have won here.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: The NewEra on November 10, 2017, 10:20:16 am
You're making charges against someone but saying only an audit would prove you right or wrong.  Do you have any idea how low you've managed to bring any credibility you might have.  I'm not necessarily a Jeff Long fan, but this is just flat wrong in your approach.

No it isn't wrong.

You will see.

PRJ

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: woodhog14 on November 10, 2017, 09:48:10 am
You do know that the TV contracts are why the atheltic department is making more money ever in it's history right? Jeff Long had ZERO, NOTHING, NADA to do with that.

That isn't true.  If you think it's true you haven't looked at the numbers and I mean the numbers put out by the NCAA, Not ones the U of A puts out.  Long has increased revenue significantly in multiple areas apart from SEC TV money.  It's public information. Look I don't need to carry any water for Jeff Long.  I don't know the man. I have met him a sum total of 2 times in my entire life.  If he is doing as bad a job as everyone seems to think I want to understand what it is he has done, and I want to look at what the facts are, not what people assume, because in my opinion in a lot of areas he has improved the U of A Athletic Department, and I don't want to lose a good AD over rumors and innuendo. If he's as bad as people say then fine he needs to be replaced. I am just trying to understand if anyone has any facts one way or the other.   

oldhog63

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 10, 2017, 11:30:20 am
That isn't true.  If you think it's true you haven't looked at the numbers and I mean the numbers put out by the NCAA, Not ones the U of A puts out.  Long has increased revenue significantly in multiple areas apart from SEC TV money.  It's public information. Look I don't need to carry any water for Jeff Long.  I don't know the man. I have met him a sum total of 2 times in my entire life.  If he is doing as bad a job as everyone seems to think I want to understand what it is he has done, and I want to look at what the facts are, not what people assume, because in my opinion in a lot of areas he has improved the U of A Athletic Department, and I don't want to lose a good AD over rumors and innuendo. If he's as bad as people say then fine he needs to be replaced. I am just trying to understand if anyone has any facts one way or the other.   
That argument seems to be one of the few, maybe only positive accomplishment. The counter to that is any competent AD could have done the same. So, you have to start looking at the whole body of work which has been discussed countless times.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: oldhog63 on November 10, 2017, 11:37:17 am
And, seems that other shady dealings are starting to come out.

Do you have reputable sources for this claim?

ricepig

Quote from: oldhog63 on November 10, 2017, 11:37:17 am
That argument seems to be one of the few, maybe only positive accomplishment. The counter to that is any competent AD could have done the same. So, you have to start looking at the whole body of work which has been discussed countless times. And, seems that other shady dealings are starting to come out.

They have? I haven't seen anything beyond a few posts on HV, again if there is any foundation to them, then fire him yesterday.

Tusks

So what are you 'Longers' going to do when he leaves, are you guys going to leave with him?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

oldhog63

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2017, 11:41:29 am
They have? I haven't seen anything beyond a few posts on HV, again if there is any foundation to them, then fire him yesterday.
Yea, probably should have left that last sentence off.

Porkette

About the "LONG on Integrity T-shirts," I remember hearing a mention of them at the time, and I just completely assumed they were meant to be sarcastic. I couldn't believe there was any possibility that they were anything except the product of disgruntled fans who didn't want Petrino gone, or there was any chance anyone wearing them was taking them seriously.

If the athletic department printed those things, or allowed them to be printed, then wow, I really don't know what to say.
GO HOGS GO!

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 10, 2017, 03:42:27 am
Uh-Oh. Jeff Long's incredulous integrity that he's propped himself up onto a shiny tower is about to take big hit.  Something that gets nearly any CEO of a Fortune 500 company fired is coming out.

We'll see if any media hacks have the guts to report it.  Def. interested to see who in the media has integrity themselves.

Well, this will get the HV tongues A wagging.

The Hawg Marshal

When is this stuff supposed to come out?

Hogwild

I went home for lunch to let the dogs out, and my neighbor was outside waiting for me.  Although we aren't super close, we say hi and he knows I'm an Arkansas fan by the flag in front of my house.  Well he told me that a friend/former neighbor of his, Kevin White, was contacted to gage his interest in the our athletic directors job. His friend was the former AD at Tulane, Arizona, and worked with Notre Dame and Duke.  I was so caught of guard that I didn't even ask what is answer was, complete brain freeze I just was listening.  I plan to go talk with him when I get off of work.

BearsBisonsBoars

For the Fire Long group, here's  a tshirt idea for you:

"So, Long
Farewell!"

I'd make it myself, but I ain't in the firing crowd (yet)

But I thought it was clever, so here's one for free. (Just please remember to include the comma)

hawgon

Quote from: Hogwild on November 10, 2017, 11:55:13 am
I went home for lunch to let the dogs out, and my neighbor was outside waiting for me.  Although we aren't super close, we say hi and he knows I'm an Arkansas fan by the flag in front of my house.  Well he told me that a friend/former neighbor of his, Kevin White, was contacted to gage his interest in the our athletic directors job. His friend was the former AD at Tulane, Arizona, and worked with Notre Dame and Duke.  I was so caught of guard that I didn't even ask what is answer was, complete brain freeze I just was listening.  I plan to go talk with him when I get off of work.

Good lord, his football coach hiring record at Notre Dame is as bad as Long's, if not worse.  He extended Davies, hired George O'Leary, Ty Willingham, and Charlie Weis.  He then extended Weis for ten years and is the reason Notre Dame is still paying him.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 10, 2017, 03:42:27 am
Uh-Oh. Jeff Long's incredulous integrity that he's propped himself up onto a shiny tower is about to take big hit.  Something that gets nearly any CEO of a Fortune 500 company fired is coming out.

We'll see if any media hacks have the guts to report it.  Def. interested to see who in the media has integrity themselves.

Well? What is it?  Don't wait for the media to have the guts.  If it is something of substance everyone wants to know it and if it's going to come out any waht does it hurt to go ahead and tell us what it is.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Porkette on November 10, 2017, 11:49:37 am
About the "LONG on Integrity T-shirts," I remember hearing a mention of them at the time, and I just completely assumed they were meant to be sarcastic. I couldn't believe there was any possibility that they were anything except the product of disgruntled fans who didn't want Petrino gone, or there was any chance anyone wearing them was taking them seriously.

If the athletic department printed those things, or allowed them to be printed, then wow, I really don't know what to say.

someone linked an article a few pages back that explains how they came about.  I guess it's up to you if you believe the account or not.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawgon on November 10, 2017, 12:02:38 pm
Good lord, his football coach hiring record at Notre Dame is as bad as Long’s, if not worse.  He extended Davies, hired George O’Leary, Ty Willingham, and Charlie Weis.  He then extended Weis for ten years and is the reason Notre Dame is still paying him.

But what were GPAs like during that time?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Porkette on November 10, 2017, 11:49:37 am

According to this published article from 2012...featuring a picture of the shirt...they were ordered and distributed by the university's public relations office.

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2012/04/17/jeff-longs-firing-of-petrino-brings-125-million-donation

Porkette

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 10, 2017, 12:14:02 pm
According to this published article from 2012...featuring a picture of the shirt...they were ordered and distributed by the university's public relations office.

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2012/04/17/jeff-longs-firing-of-petrino-brings-125-million-donation

Thanks, I just went back earlier in the thread and checked out that link. They make it sound like Long himself wasn't involved, but still, why did people support that? I believe in integrity but why celebrate that depressing moment for our program?
GO HOGS GO!

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 10, 2017, 12:26:48 am
There is no logic behind it.  All they have is one bad contract that looked good at the beginning and the fact that he is not from Arkansas.  After listening to people on here for so many years, I am thankful he is from outside the state.  Way too many on here came from relations between cousins.  Ironically, the same guys complaining the loudest now, were complaining about JFB, the MSM and the GOBN that ran things back in the day.  The only thing that is consistent here is the cry for someone to lose their job.

I am not sure of this magical AD is out there with Arkansas roots and never makes a bad hire exists, but if you have a problem with what Long has done, you would likely be unhappy with most ADs out there.  If that was the case, JFB was a failure based on Kines, Crowe, Ford, HDN, Heath, and Pel.  Everyone is allowed to make a hiring mistake here and there.  Look no further than aTm (Franchione, Sherman & Sumlin), LSU (Orgeron), Florida (Muschamp & Durkin) and Tennessee (Kiffin, Dooley & Jones).  We are far from alone here.  As for the CBP disaster, it was awful and I am sure Long wishes it would have never have happened and he would have never been forced to make the choices he did, but choices I seriously doubt he made without input from many.  I figure the toughest decision for those most critical of him is whether to have grits or oatmeal for breakfast.

Well done.

hawgon

Quote from: Porkette on November 10, 2017, 12:22:22 pm
Thanks, I just went back earlier in the thread and checked out that link. They make it sound like Long himself wasn't involved, but still, why did people support that? I believe in integrity but why celebrate that depressing moment for our program?

It may or may not have been Long's idea, but he could have stopped it with a word.  At best, it was a regrettable situation and nothing to be celebrated.  That mess cemented my opinion of Long.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Porkette on November 10, 2017, 12:22:22 pm
Thanks, I just went back earlier in the thread and checked out that link. They make it sound like Long himself wasn't involved, but still, why did people support that? I believe in integrity y but why celebrate that depressing moment for our program?

Long was aware of it.  It has been obvious for years that Long loves the limelight, loves being the center of attention.  He could have stopped the distribution of the shirts, but why would he?  Jeff Long loves him some Jeff Long.

HogAllMighty

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 09, 2017, 05:07:21 pm
ahh...yeah honestly that's my top reason for wanting to retain Jeff Long.  I don't want the same group of people who ran Nolan Richardson off to reassert power on the Hill.

So true.