Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State of the Hogs

Started by Thepigdoctor, May 20, 2015, 04:43:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Breems on May 20, 2015, 07:24:24 pm
We're fresh off our best season in decades. Like 20 years worth. It ended no more than 2.5 months ago.

We took a major hit with 2 talented players leaving for the draft, one of which probably would've been back if it weren't for a stellar end to the season. The key note I take from that is 2 players are going to the NBA draft. When is the last time the Arkansas Razorbacks sent 2 players to the NBA draft from the same roster (who actually have a shot at getting drafted)?

Recruiting isn't that bad. The failed '11 experiment didn't help the jump start. The '12 class landed only 1 star player who took a few years to reach his full potential. The mediocre '12 class is the main reason we're looking at a down year next year. There aren't really any seniors left to lead the young talent. '13 started to address the lack of a frontcourt and gave us great talent in Portis & Kingsley. '14 started to address the backcourt situation with a solid guard in Beard, and if last year was any indication, he'll get better every year. '15 gives us the standout guard Whitt and highly-rated forward Kapita.

The results have gotten exponentially better, not worse. Recruiting is getting better, not worse. Why are we arguing the "unstable" state of the program? I understand the concerns for next year, but they happen. Everywhere. The "state of the program" looks fine.

Can no one see clearly now that the rain Pelphrey is gone?

FIFY

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 22, 2015, 09:50:12 am
Give me a break.  Jeff Long knew he had one realistic option when he was hiring, and that was Mike Anderson.  It was a good choice, for many reasons, but the main reason was Mike's connection to the glory days.

And Mike will have to screw that proverbial pooch big time to get fired.

How's that for context??

I think that question of Mike being fire-able is moot because he will either deliver (my prediction) or figure a way jump ship before it comes to that (worst-case).

Nipsey Mussle

May 22, 2015, 10:44:08 am #52 Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:19:44 pm by BBsTheMan
Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 21, 2015, 12:57:36 am
Arkansas Basketball had stalled out under Pelphrey. Few thought he could get us going again. We went back to the old girlfriend and made a sentimental & nostalgic hire.  The number of wins has improved but we're not truly competitive, not really. And why is that?

Anderson can't recruit depth. He can't recruit a 7 or 8 man rotation of players that can contribute and compete on the highest levels. Having 2 players worthy of the NBA Draft and a bunch of sidekicks is not good enough to compete.   When our second team came in last season, there was a substantial drop off. Now that's the 1st team.   More specifically, Anderson hasn't recruited any players that can score inside or in the post.  This is why it's Nolan light - ( 3 pointers and jump shots) with no easy baskets inside. 
    The basketball program is a bubble waiting to burst and it may be bursting now. The win total has gone up but we can't make it past the first weekend of the tournament. Now, when 2 players leave it's a possible collapse and rebuild. Again, because Anderson can't recruit a whole team that can compete. All of this nonsense about best season since the 90s and NBA Drafted players, that's paper victories. We want actual victories.  If we miss the tournament next year, and maybe miss the NIT, that would be 1 Tournament appearance in 5 years, and not exactly a promising list of All Stars on the roster.
       But still, Sooooo many people on Hogville and outside of Hogville got sold soooo hard on Anderson, they will not admit it may not be working out.  It's spin spin spin for the guy they campaigned for.    If Anderson can't do better than 1 NCAA Tournament appearance in 5 years, he needs to go. We can't keep a coach that's not getting the job done because of nostalgia and sentimental reasons if all he's giving us is "wins" on paper.
What the hell was that?

Anderson supporters can't bring themselves to admit things aren't working out? Stupid

Our record has improved each and every season. We were a 5 seed in the NcaaT. How are things not working out?

The biggest problem I see is that JB posters look right past the '14-'15 season and have tunnel vision on the doom and gloom of '15-'16.

Only on HV would a coach's recent accomplishments be ignored in favor of hating on him for a season that hasn't happened yet.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 22, 2015, 10:44:08 am
Only on HV would a coach's recent accomplishment be ignored in favor of hating on them for a season that hasn't happened yet.

hogsanity

What the hell was that?

Anderson supporters can't bring themselves to admit things aren't working out? Stupid

Our record has improved each and every season. We were a 5 seed in the NcaaT. How are things not working out?

The biggest problem I see is that JB posters look right past the '14-'15 season and have tunnel vision on the doom and gloom of '15-'16.

Only on HV would a coach's recent accomplishments be ignored in favor of hating on him for a season that hasn't happened yet.

Well, if there is one thing Anderson backers are good at, it is looking at and cling to the past. 14/15 is OVER and done. The next season is 15/16 and it looks, on paper, to not be very good.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: hogsanity on May 22, 2015, 12:39:59 pm
Well, if there is one thing Anderson backers are good at, it is looking at and cling to the past. 14/15 is OVER and done. The next season is 15/16 and it looks, on paper, to not be very good.
Weak as hell

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: hogsanity on May 22, 2015, 01:35:05 pm
yes, 15/16 season could very well be.
I just want to be sure that you aren't being hypocritical.

If we win 12 games in 15-16, in May your stance will be "That season is over, I'm solely focused on 16-17."

You know damn well you would be hypocritical and suddenly wanting to focus on the previous season.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on May 22, 2015, 10:30:50 am
I think that question of Mike being fire-able is moot because he will either deliver (my prediction) or figure a way jump ship before it comes to that (worst-case).

I agree, and that was pretty much my point -- that the PTB don't have that much to say, either yay or nay, on the status of our coach.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

GlassofSwine

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 22, 2015, 09:20:38 am
Um 1 tournament appearance in 4 years is fact, not delusional drivel. It's just not impressive. Any coach not named Mike Anderson would be on the hot seat after that going into year 5. The only way that record is impressive or acceptable is by this actually delusional drivel of revisionist history whereby Mike Anderson brought Arkansas back from the depths of a Death Penalty like program.

Your post was delusional drivel, filled with more ignorance and bias than a homophobe watching a rainbow parade.

GuvHog

Quote from: WorfHog on May 21, 2015, 03:34:20 pm
I'm going to try and be as plain as possible because you must be a moron.

Every year is a rebuild because every year brings change. Players develop and refine skills, form new bonds and  (hopefully) learn to play as a team. It's the coach's job to prepare (i.e. build) his team during the offseason.  So why don't you take a breather and let Mike work on his team this offseason and judge the finished product come November? You won't though because it's more fun to troll the board with doom and gloom.

Not every year is a rebuild but some are. This is a very important year for Mike Anderson in that it's his 5th year which means every player on the 2015-2016 team was recruited and signed by him. There are no connections to Pelphrey left so from this point forward, all success or failure rests squarely on Mike's shoulders. What kind of shape Pelphrey left the program in is no longer relevent so people need to let that go and move on.

That being said, I think Mike will do fine. Will the Hogs be world beaters this coming season?? Not likely, but I don't believe they'll tank by any means.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

WorfHog

May 22, 2015, 02:58:31 pm #61 Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:45:00 pm by WorfHog
None of the improvements I mentioned are unrealistic though.  The biggest reach is Moses and Thompson. Jacory should get better, Whitt should be able to come in a score 10 ppg. Nothing Earth shattering needs to happen for us to make the tournament. We might not be a 5 seed next year, but we should make it and then anything can happen. Players do grow and develop, Qualls and Portis both did last season. There is no reason to think other players won't develop over this offseason.

hogsanity

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 22, 2015, 01:41:47 pm
I just want to be sure that you aren't being hypocritical.

If we win 12 games in 15-16, in May your stance will be "That season is over, I'm solely focused on 16-17."

You know damn well you would be hypocritical and suddenly wanting to focus on the previous season.

No. Next May I won't discuss 15/16 unless someone else brings it up. You don't see me talking about any of Mike's previous seasons here as head coach. The only thing I bring up from his past seasons is his recruiting patterns, and short comings, but recruiting trends have an impact on future seasons.

15/16 is going to stand on it's own. It will either be a step backwards, which many of us feel is likely, or the team will surprise and keep the momentum rolling. I think a 22-23 win season will be a darn fine one, considering how much they are going to have to rely on newcomers for scoring. Will 22-23 wins get them into the ncaat? No way to know right now what the bubble is going to be at next year.

Breems

Quote from: hogsanity on May 22, 2015, 04:45:45 pm
You don't see me talking about any of Mike's previous seasons here as head coach. The only thing I bring up from his past seasons is his recruiting patterns and short comings

Anyone else get a laugh outta that?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Breems on May 22, 2015, 08:53:40 pm
Anyone else get a laugh outta that?
That line definitely wasn't lost on me, Breems.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 22, 2015, 01:56:20 pm
I agree, and that was pretty much my point -- that the PTB don't have that much to say, either yay or nay, on the status of our coach.

I am just saying progress is judged by where you are minus where you were.  If a kid gets an A on a test that tells you she knows her stuff, but it doesn't tell you how much she learned in a class.  You have to look at how much she knew before she took said class.  I won't bore you because you know where I'm going with that.

On the idea that Mike won't get fired, absolutely if we go back to sucking and never recover he is on the hot seat.  I don't think that is in the cards.  I do understand that next year is where the rubber meets the road (even though everyone said that was this year) and I'll wager we  do make the tournament.

SexyBeast77

What the hell was that?

Only on HV would a coach's recent accomplishments be ignored in favor of hating on him for a season that hasn't happened yet

So again 1 tournament appearance in 4 years. You lose 2 players, and you're in total rebuilding mode in YEAR 5! MA can't recruit and can't coach.   All you have is Mike "The Paper Tiger" Anderson's moral victory of a season, but truth be told, the entire program is NOT in good shape.  There's no positive momentum.

SexyBeast77

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 22, 2015, 02:36:19 pm
Your post was delusional drivel, filled with more ignorance and bias than a homophobe watching a rainbow parade.

Pelphrey  2010-2011 18-13   (7-9)
Anderson 2011-2012 18-14  (6-10)

So only one is the worst coach in history? #NumbersAreTheEnemy

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 22, 2015, 09:30:40 pm
So again 1 tournament appearance in 4 years. You lose 2 players, and you're in total rebuilding mode in YEAR 5! MA can't recruit and can't coach.   All you have is Mike "The Paper Tiger" Anderson's moral victory of a season, but truth be told, the entire program is NOT in good shape.  There's no positive momentum.
Our record has improved each year under MA and we were a 5th seed in the NcaaT in the most recent season. Those are what we call "facts."

Total rebuilding, missing the tourney in year 5, no positive momentum, etc. Those aren't even close to being facts.

Again, you're holding next season against MA, already. Is it possible to allow these bad, weawy, weawy awful things to occur before complaining about them? We haven't missed the NcaaT in year 5 yet.

rzrbackramsfan

Sorry I just skimmed through this.  Basically to summarize, Hogsanity wants to talk about the past right?

SexyBeast77

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 22, 2015, 09:50:32 pm
Our record has improved each year under MA and we were a 5th seed in the NcaaT in the most recent season. Those are what we call "facts."

Total rebuilding, missing the tourney in year 5, no positive momentum, etc. Those aren't even close to being facts.

Again, you're holding next season against MA, already. Is it possible to allow these bad, weawy, weawy awful things to occur before complaining about them? We haven't missed the NcaaT in year 5 yet.

I saw how much of a drop off it was when our 2nd team came in last season, so it's not pure speculation on next year's team when we lost what 4/5 of the starting lineup.  As the previous poster pointed out, the positive view on next year relies on a huge string of IFs, If Kingsly morphs into Portis, if Bell becomes a better shooter all of sudden, if the transfers and Freshman play great.  I think that's less likely to happen than they muddle through a learning curve.
  So 2 questions for you, if last year was such a great team, the greatest team since the mid 90s, why didn't we have more to show for it than 1 win over the might Wofford Terriers?  If the team was so great, doesn't some of the blame have to go on the coaching?
  2) If Mike Anderson is such a great recruiter, why is the team looking so weak going into year 5? Shhh, I won't call it rebuilding, I'll call it reloading. 

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 23, 2015, 07:45:54 am
I saw how much of a drop off it was when our 2nd team came in last season, so it's not pure speculation on next year's team when we lost what 4/5 of the starting lineup.  As the previous poster pointed out, the positive view on next year relies on a huge string of IFs, If Kingsly morphs into Portis, if Bell becomes a better shooter all of sudden, if the transfers and Freshman play great.  I think that's less likely to happen than they muddle through a learning curve.
  So 2 questions for you, if last year was such a great team, the greatest team since the mid 90s, why didn't we have more to show for it than 1 win over the might Wofford Terriers?  If the team was so great, doesn't some of the blame have to go on the coaching?
  2) If Mike Anderson is such a great recruiter, why is the team looking so weak going into year 5? Shhh, I won't call it rebuilding, I'll call it reloading.

Not the most talented team since the 90s, the highest achieving team since the 90's based on number of wins. 

Moses doesn't have to become Bobby, he has to maximize himself.  And he's not the only big on the team.

We've had freshman step up every year, I don't think we need to worry about whether one or more of them will.

Bell does need to improve but he also has help.

I wouldn't call it reloading because theres no use in putting a positive spin on losing so much contribution but I think a rebuild connotes such a big change from one year to the next that there is little to no continuity, which isn't the case here since we have so many upper classmen.  How is it that when something routine happens here it is a catastrophe?

GuvHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 22, 2015, 01:56:20 pm

You don't know much about the PTB do you? Do you honestly believe Jeff Long hired Mike Anderson without being forced to do so???

GlassofSwine

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 22, 2015, 09:42:31 pm
Anderson 2011-2012 18-14  (6-10)

So only one is the worst coach in history? #NumbersAreTheEnemy

Again, ignorance. You posted year 4 for Pelphrey and year 1 for Mike. How about a real comparison of Year 4 for both.

MA           2014–15   27–9   (13–5)

Worse for Pelphrey how about a 4 year comparison.

Pelphrey  69–59 (.539)    25–39 (.391)
  MA         86–48 (.642)    39–31 (.557)

Now lets make it even worse. There are two coaches who have a losing conference home record in Bud Walton: Stan Heath and John Pelphrey. Furthermore, John Pelphrey's 2-14 conference mark that year is the worst since 70-71 season and the second worst in the history of the program.

Try again.

Breems

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 22, 2015, 09:58:05 pm
Sorry I just skimmed through this.  Basically to summarize, Hogsanity wants to talk about the past right?

Only to bring up short comings.

So yes.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

WarPig88

All but this PAST season.

LOL!

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on May 22, 2015, 04:45:45 pm

You don't see me talking about any of Mike's previous seasons here as head coach. The only thing I bring up from his past seasons is his recruiting patterns, and short comings.....

No agenda to see here folks. Keep it moving................

GuvHog

Quote from: Breems on May 23, 2015, 01:05:02 pm
Only to bring up short comings.

So yes.

Everyone has them you know (self most definitely included).

TheRazorback500

The program is fine. We're graduating players and staying off the police blotter. The players and staff are on the same page and have familiarity with the system. Winning games and having a chance at postseason play next season is going to depend on good team chemistry and whether our limited size and talent inside can work within the framework of the offense and take some of the scoring pressure off of our more experienced guards. We'll have to screen efficiently and establish good rhythm on offense and work as a cohesive unit on defense with rebounding help from our guards. I'm going to remain optimistic.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

PonderinHog

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 23, 2015, 10:36:39 am
  Again, ignorance. You posted year 4 for Pelphrey and year 1 for Mike. How about a real comparison of Year 4 for both.

MA           2014–15   27–9   (13–5)

Worse for Pelphrey how about a 4 year comparison.

Pelphrey  69–59 (.539)    25–39 (.391)
  MA         86–48 (.642)    39–31 (.557)

Now lets make it even worse. There are two coaches who have a losing conference home record in Bud Walton: Stan Heath and John Pelphrey. Furthermore, John Pelphrey's 2-14 conference mark that year is the worst since 70-71 season and the second worst in the history of the program.

Try again.
Complete ownage! +1

SexyBeast77

May 23, 2015, 09:24:38 pm #80 Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:35:02 am by SexyBeast77
Quote from: PonderinHog on May 23, 2015, 09:08:44 pm
Complete ownage! +1

Wrong, He was arguing against an argument I wasn't making. I wasn't saying Pelphrey is better than Anderson full stop after 4 years.  I posted those years to make the point that Mike Anderson wasn't taking over a team recovering from the Death Penalty. Many of the same players (Powell, Wade, Scott, Sanchez, Haydar), same record.  Yet, people vaunt Mike Anderson as our 2nd best coach ever after Nolan and Pelphrey is the worst ever.  And actually we picked up BJ Young, Madden and Mickelson in 2011 so the roster was probably stronger.  Try to keep the discussion about what we're talking about and not try and bust someone out like a teenager telling your mama jokes.  D- must try harder.

Kevin

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 23, 2015, 09:24:38 pm
Wrong, He was arguing against an argument I wasn't making. I wasn't saying Pelphrey is better than Anderson full stop after 4 years.  I posted those years to make the point that Mike Anderson wasn't taking over a team recovering from the Death Penalty. Many of the same players (Powell, Wade, Scott, Sanchez, Haydar), same record.  Yet, people vaunt Mike Anderson as our 2nd best coach ever after Nolan and Pelphrey is the worst ever.  And actually we picked up BJ Young, Madden and Mickelson in 2011 so the roster was probably stronger.  Try to keep the discussion about what we're talking about and not try and bust someone out like a teenager telling your mama jokes.  D- must try harder.

I thought he took over the worst program in the country
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

farmhawg

what is incredibly ironic is that is coming from the biggest nutt hugger on the board. Just amazing!
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

-Blu

So your saying, Mike had the same record with PELPHREY'S RECRUITS after 1 year when when Pelphrey had them for 4 years. And this is the argument your using to try to discredit CMA?  LOL!  And what's even more funny you left out the part where the best player, Marshawn Powell, missed the entire year, so that's even more of a testament to CMA's coaching ability.

The most fair comparison is what each coach did after having their system in place in place for 4 years (Which is enough time to have an entire roster full of players they recruited).

wheelspigharvey

Even ya mama knows the team Mike had in year one way not the same team that Pel had in year four.  Hope you're not actually in charge of handing out grades.

SexyBeast77

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on May 24, 2015, 11:13:28 am
Even ya mama knows the team Mike had in year one way not the same team that Pel had in year four.  Hope you're not actually in charge of handing out grades.

Ok so he had a better team as I said and had the same record. Great coach. Hall of Famer. Raise and extension.

SexyBeast77

Quote from: -Blu on May 24, 2015, 11:07:34 am
So your saying, Mike had the same record with PELPHREY'S RECRUITS after 1 year when when Pelphrey had them for 4 years. And this is the argument your using to try to discredit CMA?  LOL!  And what's even more funny you left out the part where the best player, Marshawn Powell, missed the entire year, so that's even more of a testament to CMA's coaching ability.

The most fair comparison is what each coach did after having their system in place in place for 4 years (Which is enough time to have an entire roster full of players they recruited).

LOL! ZOMG! Five year old,  Anderson had a better team and had the same record.  But but but the system, the system. Yeah how's that working out?
    Here's the thing, the win total for 2014/2015 is Mike's "Accomplishment," a paper tiger accomplishment.  But the program as a whole is not in great shape. We don't have a whole team of players to compete.  The program is not building. There's no momentum .  And that's the coach's fault

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 24, 2015, 11:27:59 am
Ok so he had a better team as I said and had the same record. Great coach. Hall of Famer. Raise and extension.

Give us a side by side comparison of the lineups that led you to the conclusion of the talent on the 10-11 team versus the 11-12 team and help us see the light then.  I really need to bring my grade up or my mom will kill me.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Breems on May 20, 2015, 07:27:06 pm
It's also worth noting that had Allen decided to be a Razorback a few days ago, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

Would not be happening
Quote from: Breems on May 20, 2015, 08:25:00 pm
Spring is a cluster, bottom of the barrel situation. Frazier looked like one of our best bets and then apparently didn't qualify. We weren't going to come anywhere close to replacing even half of what we lost. I was disappointed we didn't land the couple of good targets left, but nothing is guaranteed when scrambling in the Spring. I'm also glad we didn't just add filler - something that must be eliminated. We at least had a good Fall.

Capitalizing on the '16 class is essential. We're on several high-profile targets. Recruiting up to this point has been good, but not great. '16 will tip the scales very heavily.

Spring is a bottom of the barrel signing time??  Skal, Ben Simmons, Zimmerman, Brandon Ingram, Jaylen Brown, Chuck Diallo, Caleb Swaningan and Malik Newman all signed in the Spring and they were all Top 12 recruits.

SEC!

-Blu

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 24, 2015, 11:32:48 am
LOL! ZOMG! Five year old,  Anderson had a better team and had the same record.  But but but the system, the system. Yeah how's that working out?
    Here's the thing, the win total for 2014/2015 is Mike's "Accomplishment," a paper tiger accomplishment.  But the program as a whole is not in great shape. We don't have a whole team of players to compete.  The program is not building. There's no momentum .  And that's the coach's fault

What are you talking about dude, you do realize Powell didn't play but a few games CMA's first year right?  BJ Young was pretty good his freshman year, but other than that, I don't know how in the world your coming up with how the roster was better when CMA had it.  I'll take a sophomore Marshawn Powell and junior Rotnei Clarke over freshman Mickelson, Madden, and Abron any day of the week.  Had Marshawn been healthy CMA probably would have won 4-5 more games his first year.

GlassofSwine

Yeah that's why you said this...

QuoteSo only one is the worst coach in history? #NumbersAreTheEnemy

Your quote implies that MA is equally bad to Pelphrey. Keep back-pedaling though, because your correction is just as flawed.

MA didn't have Rotnei Clarke, Powell played 2 games. His best returning player was Nobles. In fact, MA lost 4 of the 5 leading scorers from the previous year and was  relying on 3 Freshmen in Young, Madden and Mickleson to make up for it.

SexyBeast77

You guys are missing the bigger point. The cupboard was not bare for Anderson. He's not recruited well.  He's not coached well. He's in year 5. Not much to show for it. No regular season title, conference tournament title, National title, not even Sweet 16 appearances. Now we're in rebuilding mode already. Many other coaches have come in and lead programs to much more success much quicker. Just maybe "the system" is the problem. Arkansas fans are so obsessed with winning the way of Nolan. Problem with that is, Mike is not Nolan. He's Nolan light (no inside game).
So, just so I know how many years is it going to take for Anderson to install this super Awesome system that's going to lead to a dynasty. Can we just rename basketball Andersonball because he's so awesome?

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 25, 2015, 12:39:59 am
    You guys are missing the bigger point. The cupboard was not bare for Anderson. He's not recruited well.  He's not coached well. He's in year 5. Not much to show for it. No regular season title, conference tournament title, National title, not even Sweet 16 appearances. Now we're in rebuilding mode already. Many other coaches have come in and lead programs to much more success much quicker. Just maybe "the system" is the problem. Arkansas fans are so obsessed with winning the way of Nolan. Problem with that is, Mike is not Nolan. He's Nolan light (no inside game).
So, just so I know how many years is it going to take for Anderson to install this super Awesome system that's going to lead to a dynasty. Can we just rename basketball Andersonball because he's so awesome?

You made the claim  I'm just asking you to back up your assertion.  Now you're just trying to say that even if you gave an argument I wouldn't be able to hear it out.  Sounds like you don't have one.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 24, 2015, 11:27:59 am

Mike Anderson isn't close to a HOF coach. He isn't even a top 20 coach actively today

SexyBeast77

May 25, 2015, 11:24:17 am #94 Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:36:51 am by SexyBeast77
Quote from: wheelspigharvey on May 25, 2015, 01:04:13 am
You made the claim  I'm just asking you to back up your assertion.  Now you're just trying to say that even if you gave an argument I wouldn't be able to hear it out.  Sounds like you don't have one.

Number 1, I don't have to play your game. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to prove that adding BJ Young, Madden and Mickelson isn't a good thing. I can leave that point and just say the cupboard wasn't bare. Even if I do think the 2011 team was better.
but BTW besides Rotnei transferring, they lost

Britt                   5.3 PPG
Delvon Johnson   9.6 PPG
Marshawn Powell 10.8 PPG  (injured from 2011)
                          25.7 PPG
and gained
BJ Young 15.3 PPG
Madden   6.6 PPG
Mickelson 5.2 PPG
for           27.1 PPG

Then of course Rotnei Clark transfered out ( hey, he got to play it he tournament.) 15 PPG. That was a good shooter lost. But he didn't fit the system. Didn't you hear, Mike Anderson's system is awesome. But wait, isn't Mike's system awesome for 3 point shooters! Why can't Mike Recruit a player already at the school? So if you think the loss of Clarke means we're a worse team after the addition of the 3 above players, ok. We disagree.  But it's still a pretty decent team. And Mike still hasn't built from it.  Not really from a recruiting standpoint.

Look at it this way, football is different, but Bielema seems to be recruiting well, strengthening each position, and filling the positions where we lose players with good new recruits.   Mike Anderson seems to be just freeballing it like the pensioner on the racquetball court. We have to win with the Nolan style so we flail around trying to recruit these athletes that can't score, rather than recruiting a solid team for each position.  And where does that lead us. No success and bleak prospects for year 5.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 25, 2015, 11:24:17 am
Number 1, I don't have to play your game. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to prove that adding BJ Young, Madden and Mickelson isn't a good thing. I can leave that point and just say the cupboard wasn't bare. Even if I do think the 2011 team was better.
but BTW, they lost

Britt                   5.3 PPG
Delvon Johnson   9.6 PPG
Marshawn Powell 10.8 PPG  (injured from 2011)
Rotnei Clarke 15.2
                          40.9 PPG

and gained
BJ Young 15.3 PPG
Madden   6.6 PPG
Mickelson 5.2 PPG
for           27.1 PPG

Fixed it for ya.  You don't have to play my game because you're not interested in reality and that's fine.

SexyBeast77

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on May 25, 2015, 11:32:45 am
Fixed it for ya.  You don't have to play my game because you're not interested in reality and that's fine.

wrong I had already edited to include Clarke and you omitted it because you want to win. Win win win. Not be honest. Shhhh

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 25, 2015, 11:38:03 am
wrong I had already edited to include Clarke and you omitted it because you want to win. Win win win. Not be honest. Shhhh

I don't need to be declared the winner by you for you to be wrong.  Are you saying I edited your post?

SexyBeast77

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on May 25, 2015, 11:44:48 am
I don't need to be declared the winner by you for you to be wrong.  Are you saying I edited your post?

No I edited my own post because looking at the side by side rosters of who we lost I intially didnt' include Clarke then obviously did (unless I'm the world's fastest typer). You then selectively quoted to try and make me look dishonest.

You're trying to win a very narrow point when it boils down to it by saying losing these 2
Marshawn Powell 10.8 PPG
Rotnei Clarke       15 PPG

is worse than gaining these 3
BJ Young 15.3 PPG
Madden   6.6 PPG
Mickelson 5.2 PPG

unless you want to argue that losing Delvin Johnson really hurt (Britt was negligible) And, 2011-2012 had 2 Seniors and another Junior with significant playing time, and a bunch of Sophmores that were not longer Freshman to go with the promising Freshman trio above.   It's a pretty decent team, and Mike did  18-14 (6-10), 1 game worse than Pelphrey.    Anderson didn't start out with a terrible team and build up from the Death Penalty. He started out with a fairly good team and didn't recruit very well.

WarPig88

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 25, 2015, 10:40:40 am

Mike Anderson isn't close to a HOF coach. He isn't even a top 20 coach actively today

Please name all the active coaches who have taken 3 different programs to the NCAA and advanced with them.

I bet that list is significantly smaller than 20.