Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's left?

Started by RacinRazorback, May 14, 2015, 07:03:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 01:58:17 pm
   Most of the guys we are losing next year are role players at best. The transition to this year will be harder as we lost a ton of production. I think the core for 2016 looks pretty good. Kingsley - sr. Beard - jr. Kapita and Whitt - sophmores. HawgRed made a post in a thread that I agree with. Right now in 2015 it is hard to see where all the production will be but come 2016 we should have a solid group of players across multiple classes.

I saw that post.  Based on how Mike likes to play though how do you get enough players to run the system competently?  Is he all of a sudden going to change and ride those 4 guys and shorten his bench rotation?

GlassofSwine

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 02:06:06 pm
I saw that post.  Based on how Mike likes to play though how do you get enough players to run the system competently?  Is he all of a sudden going to change and ride those 4 guys and shorten his bench rotation?

Most basketball teams only have a core of 3 or 4 guys who contribute most of the production. Mike's teams are no different.

Atlhogfan1

What was left at Mizzou was a veteran, unbalanced roster who seemingly had quit on Mike and his staff at the end of his last season there.  An unbalanced roster situation which was going to have to be addressed after the first season of his replacement.  Haith didn't address it well and compounded the problem. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 02:26:36 pm
    Most basketball teams only have a core of 3 or 4 guys who contribute most of the production. Mike's teams are no different.

10 guys averaged more than 10 minutes or more per game.  I wonder how many other schools have that many guys averaging that many minutes.  The whole premise behind how Mike plays is to get into the other teams legs.  You think he can successfully do that with 3 or 4 core guys and a bunch of freshmen?  I don't.

WarPig88

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 02:33:59 pm
10 guys averaged more than 10 minutes per game.  I wonder how many other schools have that many guys averaging that many minutes.  The whole premise behind how Mike plays is to get into the other teams legs.  You think he can successfully do that with 3 or 4 core guys and a bunch of freshmen?  I don't.

Why not?

Frosh usually make the best role players on team and shouldn't be looked at as more than quality depth unless they are elite.

Atlhogfan1

10 guys averaged more than 10 minutes or more per game.  I wonder how many other schools have that many guys averaging that many minutes.  The whole premise behind how Mike plays is to get into the other teams legs.  You think he can successfully do that with 3 or 4 core guys and a bunch of freshmen?  I don't.

Well it showed some in the postseason with players like Portis and Beard.  Portis and Qualls played two of the highest minute totals of any players in Anderson's career.  Plus Madden wasn't far behind.  That shortened rotation wasn't good but it wasn't fatal because Portis could carry the team especially in that 10-11 game stretch we got in SEC play.  We also caught a break this season in so many SEC opponents having short rosters some of which were shortened even more when we played them due to injury or suspension.  Can't count on that happening in future seasons.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 20, 2015, 02:36:21 pm
Why not?

Frosh usually make the best role players on team and shouldn't be looked at as more than quality depth unless they are elite.

Because according to everyone it takes a year or two to get comfortable in Mike's system.  So if they don't know the system, how can they provide depth in the system when they are learning the system?  Sounds to me like those 3 or 4 guys are going to run out of gas hence the season will run out of gas.  You and I both know he won't adapt the style of play, so I guess running guys into the ground will be all he can do. 

Also to your point, you saying that Whitt should be a role player?  If that is the case, you guys are in for a long season because based on what you have he most likely will be the best player on the roster next year. 

HoopS

I know that the 30 wins Haith had in his first year at Missouri was by far his high water mark. I wanted Ratliffe on our team.

GlassofSwine

Minutes don't equal production. To play Mike's style you need solid role players who can give you 10 good minutes a game. I also believe like hawgRed that recruiting in 2016 looks solid. I think a lot of the freshmen we will be bringing in are more talented than what we already have here.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 02:57:07 pm
  Minutes don't equal production. To play Mike's style you need solid role players who can give you 10 good minutes a game. I also believe like hawgRed that recruiting in 2016 looks solid. I think a lot of the freshmen we will be bringing in are more talented than what we already have here.

Could be, but there is no one committed to the class yet so getting studs isn't a given.  Kids today have short memories, if the season this year is less than stellar it might turn off a lot of recruits.  All speculation at this point but it certainly sets up for an interesting season and an interesting recruiting cycle. 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: HoopS on May 20, 2015, 02:54:11 pm
I know that the 30 wins Haith had in his first year at Missouri was by far his high water mark. I wanted Ratliffe on our team.

No one cares about Haith's high water mark except Tulsa fans.  He isn't coaching either of these programs or in the SEC so nice jab, but it missed the mark.

WarPig88

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 02:48:43 pm
Because according to everyone it takes a year or two to get comfortable in Mike's system.  So if they don't know the system, how can they provide depth in the system when they are learning the system?  Sounds to me like those 3 or 4 guys are going to run out of gas hence the season will run out of gas.  You and I both know he won't adapt the style of play, so I guess running guys into the ground will be all he can do. 

Also to your point, you saying that Whitt should be a role player?  If that is the case, you guys are in for a long season because based on what you have he most likely will be the best player on the roster next year.

I would consider a top 50 player to be elite wouldn't you?

Also, you need to believe your eyes more than what other people have to say. Since MA has been here, frosh have played big roles for his teams.

But if you are interested in being popular just keep with the spiel you're using now.

HoopS

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 03:35:09 pm
No one cares about Haith's high water mark except Tulsa fans.  He isn't coaching either of these programs or in the SEC so nice jab, but it missed the mark.
point missed.

TheOtherColombia

May 20, 2015, 04:13:08 pm #163 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:28:47 pm by TheOtherColombia
Quote from: WarPig88 on May 20, 2015, 03:56:08 pm
I would consider a top 50 player to be elite wouldn't you?

Also, you need to believe your eyes more than what other people have to say. Since MA has been here, frosh have played big roles for his teams.

But if you are interested in being popular just keep with the spiel you're using now.

I am just pointing out how all over the place posters are in regards to MA.  Some people say freshmen should just provide quality depth, some say it takes them to long to learn the system to contribute, etc etc.  I think Jimmy Whitt is a really good basketball player and I think he contributes, however MA shouldn't slow play him like he did Anton Beard because he will be the best basketball player on the team and he should be thrown to the wolves immediately. I think he has a far better chance of swimming than sinking so the staff should take advantage of that and give him a large role as soon as he hits campus. 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: HoopS on May 20, 2015, 04:04:11 pm
point missed.

Correct, because there was no point other than trying to be a smart arse.

HoopS

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 04:14:03 pm
Correct, because there was no point other than trying to be a smart arse.
nope. Wrong again. But I'm done even trying. Have a good day.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: HoopS on May 20, 2015, 04:22:18 pm
nope. Wrong again. But I'm done even trying. Have a good day.

So you cannot even articulate your point, proves my point.  You too!

latrops

If the press isn't effective at forcing pace and creating turnovers, we aren't "getting into their legs" anyway.  There were only a few opponents that struggled with our press and resulting pace last year.  However, for most of the SEC season, our halfcourt defense was generally solid.  Anderson certainly favors and often even forces a certain style...but it isn't as though we are doomed if we don't create 20+ turnovers a game.  We won 27 last year with a mediocre press and potentially only one NBA player.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: latrops on May 20, 2015, 04:35:50 pm
If the press isn't effective at forcing pace and creating turnovers, we aren't "getting into their legs" anyway.  There were only a few opponents that struggled with our press and resulting pace last year.  However, for most of the SEC season, our halfcourt defense was generally solid.  Anderson certainly favors and often even forces a certain style...but it isn't as though we are doomed if we don't create 20+ turnovers a game.  We won 27 last year with a mediocre press and only potentially only one NBA player.

Short bench.  Will expect more/same results from fewer bodies plus it appears that no one has been groomed to step in to fill the shoes of players who have departed.  The team you field this year will not even be remotely the same as what you had last year. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 04:52:28 pm
Short bench.  Will expect more/same results from fewer bodies plus it appears that no one has been groomed to step in to fill the shoes of players who have departed.  The team you field this year will not even be remotely the same as what you had last year. 

Totally agree considering losing 5 players including 2 college stars and failing to sign players in the Spring signing period. Lose 5 guys bring in 3 (one of which can't play next year) while losing 4 starters. This team making the NIT final 4 should be the goal next year. Hogs bound for Madison Square Garden will be the crying call by the fans.

hogsanity

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 30, 2015, 07:18:55 pm
Totally agree considering losing 5 players including 2 college stars and failing to sign players in the Spring signing period. Lose 5 guys bring in 3 (one of which can't play next year) while losing 4 starters. This team making the NIT final 4 should be the goal next year. Hogs bound for Madison Square Garden will be the crying call by the fans.

Getting into the NIT might be goal enough. Just depends on how quickly the FR adapt, and if some of the holdovers can step up their games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE