Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CMA Grade

Started by TheRazorbackGuy, March 16, 2015, 01:27:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

After the end of the regular season in year 4, what grade do you give CMA?

A
192 (41.9%)
B
202 (44.1%)
C
48 (10.5%)
D
10 (2.2%)
F
6 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Danny J

Quote from: GuvHog on March 16, 2015, 03:37:59 pm
An "A+" denotes a perfect season. Mike's done a great job but let's not get carried away.
It is all about perspective and expectations. It is not any indication of the fans and even CMA himself as to where we want to be eventually.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Danny J on March 16, 2015, 07:40:46 pm
It is all about perspective and expectations. It is not any indication of the fans and even CMA himself as to where we want to be eventually.

Agreed.. Its a brilliant season thus far

Deep Shoat

Quote from: DLUXHOG on March 16, 2015, 02:28:27 pm
I understand and respect your opinion, but...... the program has been a dumpster fire for what?  2 decades?   What CMA has done this year is nothing short of amazing.... (even if they get bounced first round of NCAA, which I highly doubt and think will occur.....)
See, this is why there is such an unnecessary war on the board all the time.  The standard never changes.  It is perfection.  We know we won't achieve it, maybe ever.  But if perfection isn't the standard, we begin settling for, "Well, it's better than last year."

We need to stop being afraid to set the bar high.  Not reaching it doesn't mean, "Fire Mike!"  But I don't have to be satisfied with less than a NC.
All Gas, No Brakes!

jdlew

It's not over yet....c...If we win two he gets an ...A...

rude1

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 16, 2015, 08:59:36 pm
See, this is why there is such an unnecessary war on the board all the time.  The standard never changes.  It is perfection.  We know we won't achieve it, maybe ever.  But if perfection isn't the standard, we begin settling for, "Well, it's better than last year."

We need to stop being afraid to set the bar high.  Not reaching it doesn't mean, "Fire Mike!"  But I don't have to be satisfied with less than a NC.
Seriously? I guess reality has no place in setting standards. A program who hasn't been to the big dance in 6 or 7 years, one tourney win in about the last 15 years and YET we are talking about a standard of perfection. Makes perfect sense to me.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: DLUXHOG on March 16, 2015, 02:28:27 pm
I understand and respect your opinion, but...... the program has been a dumpster fire for what?  2 decades?   What CMA has done this year is nothing short of amazing.... (even if they get bounced first round of NCAA, which I highly doubt and think will occur.....)

What I cant believe is BOTH major programs were a "Dumpster Fire" at the same time....and now we are finally seeing wonderful results in both areas!

Thank you CMA and CBB!

GO HAWGS!!!  :razorback:
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

choppedporkextrasauce

An A.

Everybody was a little to a lot better than last year.

Portis and Qualls showed serious growth. Mannix Watkins was a nice replacement for Kiko.

Season is still on and that's another plus.

WBOBO

Definitely an A this year.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

PigDaddyKane

I give him an A.  When he started we were so far away from this.  Next year, the bar gets higher.

BTW whoever gave him a D, man up, admit it.  So we can smite away.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 16, 2015, 08:59:36 pm

The Standard is a National Championship? Second, the fans expectations have zero effect on the outcome of games. Do you think the team isn't trying to win every game they play in? Fans being realistic isn't the problem it's the solution to illogical thought and emotional tirades based on a game played by 18-22 year old kids.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 16, 2015, 01:43:24 pm
I gave him a B. And that's not just for this year, that's year-to-date at Arkansas. I thought it took him a little too long to get to both the NIT and the NCAAs, but he got to both. He got us back in the top 3 of the SEC, though I do worry what we'll look like next year if Portis leaves. Recruiting has also been a little better than I anticipated. So, really, it's that he didn't get into the postseason until Year 3 that I've dinged him for. I felt we had the talent to make the NIT in Year 2.

For just this season, I give him an A because we achieved precisely what I had hoped and projected that we'd achieve from an end-results standpoint. Can't remember the last time my expectations were met.
I gave him a B overall too, mainly because of it taking him to year 4 to make the Ncaas. In retrospect, I think an A might've been more appropriate considering where we are now compared to when he took over the program. If I give MA the B grade, then Pel has to get an F-.

That said, I'm not sure the NIT snub in year 2 was MA's fault. In fact, I'm not sure how we didn't get in there that year. I can all but guarantee there is a team in the NIT this year with a worse resume than we had 2 years ago.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 17, 2015, 01:39:50 am
That said, I'm not sure the NIT snub in year 2 was MA's fault. In fact, I'm not sure how we didn't get in there that year. I can all but guarantee there is a team in the NIT this year with a worse resume than we had 2 years ago.

It's not all his fault, but he definitely played a part in it. He won 18 games his first year, basically without Marshawn Powell and with a very young team. He won 19 games the next with him and with the rest of the crew a year older. Granted, we did win 10 conference games after winning just 6 the first year (though there were two more opportunities to win), and we did finish 7th of 14 as opposed to 9th of 12. Obviously there was marked improvement, but I don't think we should have been in the position for the NIT selection committee to snub us. I do agree what we should have been in that year, but I think most were expecting more of an improvement. I feel like Anderson's run at Arkansas has gone a year slower than anticipated by most (rational) fans. That's why I'm giving him a B. But I don't deny that part of that slow build has been on the players. It's took some of them a little longer to get with the program, and some of them never did. It's highly subjective as to whether or not Mike had much control over that.

GuvHog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 17, 2015, 01:39:50 am
I gave him a B overall too, mainly because of it taking him to year 4 to make the Ncaas. In retrospect, I think an A might've been more appropriate considering where we are now compared to when he took over the program. If I give MA the B grade, then Pel has to get an F-.

I can easily understand why the hogs were snubbed by the NIT in Mike's second year:

That year the SEC was a very weak conference.

The Hogs non conference schedule was also weak.

Those are the same 2 reasons the Hogs didn't get an NCAA bid last year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

JayBell

Almost 96% say an A or B.  Can we stop acting like there's Mike Anderson "haters?"

They won most of the games they were supposed to and lost all of the games they were supposed to.  The main reason I'd say B instead of A is the road losses against Clemson, Florida and Tennessee.  I just think the impact of those losses was more significant than the impact of the wins at Georgia, Ole Miss and SMU.

riccoar

I said C and I'm no hater.  I like Anderson.  Just wish fundamental blocking out and rebounding will improve.  Like others, get 2 wins in NCAAT and that moves to a solid A.

Hawg Red

Quote from: JayBell on March 17, 2015, 10:43:50 am
Almost 96% say an A or B.  Can we stop acting like there's Mike Anderson "haters?"

Agreed. We're talking about a minority of fans and posters that generally only come around when we lose. These are usually referred to as "trolls," and every fanbase as them. Fans are not nearly as divided on Mike Anderson as they're made out to be.

Swinesong1

They won most of the games they were supposed to and lost all of the games they were supposed to.  The main reason I'd say B instead of A is the road losses against Clemson, Florida and Tennessee.  I just think the impact of those losses was more significant than the impact of the wins at Georgia, Ole Miss and SMU.
So you want to ignore the haters by bringing them up when no one was even talking about them in the first place?  Ok

Nipsey Mussle

We lost all of the games that we were supposed to lose? That's not true at all.

Nice job of holding the loss @ UF against MA. I'll give you Clemson and UT, but like it or not, we were screwed at UF.

mhuff

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 16, 2015, 01:32:06 pm
First in at C, I expected more and I think CMA would agree.

I had to agree with you because it is over a four year period. I do not know how he compares to other coaches as far as going to the NCAA's in that time frame. As a person I would give him an "A". I disagree on some coaching strategies ,but that is another issue. I salute the team and CMA for their effort. I had predicted 24 wins including the SEDT. So, I am pleased and think a program like ours should be going to the dance almost every year. We did..... when we had a program and the UA AD's cared.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 17, 2015, 11:35:12 am
So you want to ignore the haters by bringing them up when no one was even talking about them in the first place?  Ok
Absolutely, I'm glad you pointed that out. Not only in this thread, but I really haven't heard many saying "MA haters" lately at all. Maybe next, Jaybell will move for everyone to stop discussing deflate gate.

JayBell

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 17, 2015, 12:13:32 pmWe lost all of the games that we were supposed to lose? That's not true at all.

Nice job of holding the loss @ UF against MA. I'll give you Clemson and UT, but like it or not, we were screwed at UF.

It shouldn't have been a one-point game.  It's such a wuss argument to claim you lost a one-point game against an inferior opponent because you got screwed by the referees.

How is it not true they lost the games they were supposed to?  When you look at Arkansas' schedule, who was better?  Kentucky and Iowa State, who Arkansas lost to.  You could make an argument for the road games at SMU, Ole Miss and Georgia, but like I said, I think the Clemson loss carried more weight.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: JayBell on March 17, 2015, 01:03:54 pm
It shouldn't have been a one-point game.  It's such a wuss argument to claim you lost a one-point game against an inferior opponent because you got screwed by the referees.

How is it not true they lost the games they were supposed to?  When you look at Arkansas' schedule, who was better?  Kentucky and Iowa State, who Arkansas lost to.  You could make an argument for the road games at SMU, Ole Miss and Georgia, but like I said, I think the Clemson loss carried more weight.
You just answered your own question. You said we lost all we were supposed to and you just named 3 off the top of your head that we were supposed to lose, but instead found a way to win.

UF game wouldn't have been a 1 point game if the game had been called evenly. There were only 2 games in the entire year where we got hosed that badly by the refs. We went 1-1 in those games.

GuvHog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 17, 2015, 12:13:32 pm
We lost all of the games that we were supposed to lose? That's not true at all.

In the end the Hogs were screwed at Florida but it should never have come down to the last minute of the game. That isn't Mike's fault though, the team just didn't play very well.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jry04

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 16, 2015, 07:16:05 pm
Recruiting is B, Several guards have been a bust.  Player development by guards is a C+.  Portis development is a A. I don't see much improvement from Madden but do see improvement by Qualls, even though he still needs to have better ball skills.  Moses is getting better but at a snails pace.  So over all a B.

Good job but we are so hard on our coaches.  We want to win and play Coaches to be very good. 

If Coach can recruit Qualls and Portis to come back then with  Whitt and Kapita(gets back to 100%) will raise this years recruitment to a A. 
You do not see much improvement in Madden? He went from a score first mentality, to a facilitator. He received more national publicity this year because of his solid assists to turnover ratio and 3point shooting than any other season.

I know this is a little off topic, but I wish Madden would get more respect from our fan base. He averaged 38% from three, 87% from FT, and has a 2/1 assists/turnover ratio. He took 2 fewer shots per game this season, but was up in assists, rebounds, and FT%. He had at least 5 assists in more than half of our games. Without Madden this season, we probably lose a minimum of 3 or 4 more games.

Swinesong1

Hogs had a terrible season!  I can't believe they finished 2nd to KY.  How could a team with so many future NBAers only be a 5th seed?  The experts are picking them to lose so they must not be that good.

RazorPiggie

mccurdy

I will give him a I for now.

yocdaddy

I went with a C...while I do think our program is better, it has taken us four years to get to here and looking at a roster next season possibly without Qualls, Portis, Madden, and Harris is frightening.  Lots of coaches have turned around programs in 4 years, but we are probably going to slide back out of tournament contention next season without those four guys. 

Here's my grading scale:

A = Elite 8 probable
B = Tournament Qualifier every year, win 1 game
C = around 20 wins every year, with tournament every other year
D = Fired
F = Fired
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

jry04

Quote from: yocdaddy on March 17, 2015, 02:00:06 pm
I went with a C...while I do think our program is better, it has taken us four years to get to here and looking at a roster next season possibly without Qualls, Portis, Madden, and Harris is frightening.  Lots of coaches have turned around programs in 4 years, but we are probably going to slide back out of tournament contention next season without those four guys. 

Here's my grading scale:

A = Elite 8 probable
B = Tournament Qualifier every year, win 1 game
C = around 20 wins every year, with tournament every other year
D = Fired
F = Fired
Doubt Qualls leaves. Not sure why everyone assumes he wants to play in Europe.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on March 17, 2015, 02:23:40 pm
Doubt Qualls leaves. Not sure why everyone assumes he wants to play in Europe.

Started around this time last year and just hasn't died. I expect him back next year, not that it matters what I expect. I have faith that it is not lost on him how much he's improved each year with this staff. I think he'll do the smart thing and come back.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: jry04 on March 17, 2015, 01:23:11 pm
I know this is a little off topic, but I wish Madden would get more respect from our fan base. He averaged 38% from three, 87% from FT, and has a 2/1 assists/turnover ratio. He took 2 fewer shots per game this season, but was up in assists, rebounds, and FT%. He had at least 5 assists in more than half of our games. Without Madden this season, we probably lose a minimum of 3 or 4 more games.

Always liked that dude, I think Madden deserves some love for being an Arkansas kid and helping rebuild us the same way Bobby does.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: jry04 on March 17, 2015, 01:23:11 pm
You do not see much improvement in Madden? He went from a score first mentality, to a facilitator. He received more national publicity this year because of his solid assists to turnover ratio and 3point shooting than any other season.

Your analytics and statistics don't show me what I see when I watch the games. Madden best season as a Razorback was his junior year. This year he became the off guard and his attacking was not needed this year with Portis and Qualls better this season. Madden was better his senior year than his freshman and sophomore year. But his best season was his junior year.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 17, 2015, 02:28:10 pm
Started around this time last year and just hasn't died. I expect him back next year, not that it matters what I expect. I have faith that it is not lost on him how much he's improved each year with this staff. I think he'll do the smart thing and come back.
I agree. I am probably in the minority, but I think with him back, and Kapita healthy, that the Hogs will still have a shot at the NCAAT next season. The SEC will be one of the strongest conferences in the country next year, so that should help the SOS. Assuming Bobby leaves, we will lose a lot, but I think it just takes us from a top 10 team, to a bubble team. Kapita and Moses should give us much needed post defense, and I think Whitte will be able to score from day 1.

I do not know anything about Melvin Frazier's decision, but a few on here have suggested if anyone leaves than we will get him. I would rather have Bobby back, but getting another athletic wing would be nice, too.

JayBell

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 17, 2015, 01:08:47 pm
You just answered your own question. You said we lost all we were supposed to and you just named 3 off the top of your head that we were supposed to lose, but instead found a way to win.
No, I didn't.  I think Arkansas was supposed to win those games.  I could understand someone arguing that Arkansas was supposed to lose, but I would disagree with them.  It's a compliment to the team and Anderson that they were more talented than the vast majority of their opponents this season.

JayBell

Quote from: jry04 on March 17, 2015, 01:23:11 pmYou do not see much improvement in Madden? He went from a score first mentality, to a facilitator. He received more national publicity this year because of his solid assists to turnover ratio and 3point shooting than any other season.

People hold on to first impressions and early opinions.  Some still remember Madden for being a petulant high schooler or a role player with a shoot first mentality.  He's made great strides every year on campus and has had a fantastic senior season.  A lot of folks also ignore the fact that he was played out of position for so long without a true point guard on the roster.

3of5-2

For the whole 4 years, I give MA a C+, for this year I give him an A-, still with a chance for some extra credit if he wins a game or two. He has raised the bar every year, and this year will be the hardest to match, so I hope he can convince Portis and Qualls to stay. Off topic like some others, the problem with Madden's stats that someone posted, is the timing of when they happen, especially his turnovers and his missed threes. Having a 2:1 ratio in assists to turnovers is really not that great for a senior. If you get 10 assist in a game, that means you also had 5 turnovers, and with him, it's usually at a crucial time in the game. Also, several of his ill advised 3's have been like turnovers, long rebounds leading to easy layups for the other team. He's great to have at the free throw line late in games, and I thank him for being a Razorback, but I will be nice and leave it at that.

hobhog

Next year will be the big exam.....

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hobhog on March 17, 2015, 03:37:36 pm
Next year will be the big exam.....

We will evaluate his first 4 years. Year 5 hasn't happened yet

HotlantaHog

Interesting to look back at this ... how people perceived MA... and this was only a month ago...

HawgAdvocate

I gave him a B. A trip to the Big Dance was due. Getting to the Sweet 16 would have earned an A.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hamARchy in the USA

This year's 13-5 conference record and second place finish in the standings looks like a nice improvement on paper.  However, there's more to the story.

Because of the way the schedule worked out, the Hogs had a far easier path to second place than any other team, playing only 1 team (Ole Miss) in the top 9 two times and playing 4 teams (South Carolina, Miss St, Missouri, Tennessee)  in the bottom 5 two times.  There's a comparison of schedule competitiveness here:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=591803.msg9670059#msg9670059

Conference champion Kentucky was one of the teams they only played once so they could only lose to the Wildcats one time.  If after four years with two NBA prospects and a schedule that could hardly be more ideal the Hogs couldn't compete for the title then when will they ever under MA ?

Kentucky went 18-0 to win the championship.  Alabama and Florida (which had the toughest schedule) tied for the 8th/9th positions at 8-10.  With Arkansas finishing 13-5 with eleven games decided by six points or less plus a blowout loss to Kentucky, the Hogs finished closer to 9th than to 1st.   Such a weak performance is not deserving of praise.  In a coach's fourth year it's deserving of indictment, imo.

D

MountieDawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 16, 2015, 01:43:06 pm
I'm going with an A considering the fact he still doesn't  have all the pieces he needs and we still finished 2nd in the SEC and got a #5 seed in the NCAA tournament.

He has been here 4 years, if you don't think he has the pieces he needs, who do you blame... Stan Heath???   I think he has done a pretty good job but I did expect more than one NCAAT win in 4 years. Hammer me if you think those are lofty expectations.  For those giving an A, what grade would you have given him of he made the NCAAT all 4 years and had a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8?

My grade would be a B.
SEC!

root_hawg

C=NCAA tourney
B=Sweet 16, conf runner up, league runner up
A=Final 4, conf or tourney champ

TexomaRazorback

He's no coach K, Bobby Knight, etc. so I can't give him an A. I will go with a B.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: TexomaRazorback on April 25, 2015, 09:25:49 pm
He's no coach K, Bobby Knight, etc. so I can't give him an A. I will go with a B.
Yeah, surely he'd be a better announcer than Bobby Knight.

-Blu

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 25, 2015, 09:51:28 pm
Yeah, surely he'd be a better announcer than Bobby Knight.

LOL!  +1

SooiecidetillNuttgone

April 25, 2015, 11:10:07 pm #96 Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:49:48 am by SooiecidetillNuttgone
Quote from: rzrbkf4n on March 16, 2015, 01:29:11 pm
I went with B. If he wins the SEC next year he will get an A.

Very happy with what he's done though! And the players. Don't forget the players too now.

It would take a miracle to ever win the SEC with the way the game has so completely changed.   Great players never make it to campus.   Even good but not necessarily great players leave early.   We're just like all the other 2nd tier teams on the outside looking in.  Kentucky is about the only sure-fire safe bet to be in the top 4 year in and year out.  Even UNC and Kansas have off years......Nowadays.

The one and dones have changed the game to where the teams with the overall best chance to win have supremely gifted coaches that ALSO play a rather conservative meat and potatoes style.   You even see UK fall to those teams more than losing to "Talent Heavy" teams.

Sorry guys, but as a HUGE fan of Hawg B-Ball, and loving the Sutton and Nolan years, the china doll is broken and no amount of glue is going to fix it now.   The game is broken.   Other than for pure entertainment value, I've moved on.  I want us to do well.  I keep up with our players.  I watch the games when I can.   I don't yell, holler, cry, get drunk, etc over the games anymore.   My emotional investment simply isn't there.

P.S.
I gave him an A.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

TheRazorbackGuy

KeVaughn Allen coming to Arkansas can only help CMA's grade

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 25, 2015, 11:10:07 pm
It would take a miracle to ever win the SEC with the way the game has so completely changed.   Great players never make it to campus.   Even good but not necessarily great players leave early.   We're just like all the other 2nd tier teams on the outside looking in.  Kentucky is about the only sure-fire safe bet to be in the top 4 year in and year out.  Even UNC and Kansas have off years......Nowadays.

The one and dones have changed the game to where the teams with the overall best chance to win have supremely gifted coaches that ALSO play a rather conservative meat and potatoes style.   You even see UK fall to those teams more than losing to "Talent Heavy" teams.

Sorry guys, but as a HUGE fan of Hawg B-Ball, and loving the Sutton and Nolan years, the china doll is broken and no amount of glue is going to fix it now.   The game is broken.   Other than for pure entertainment value, I've moved on.  I want us to do well.  I keep up with our players.  I watch the games when I can.   I don't yell, holler, cry, get drunk, etc over the games anymore.   My emotional investment simply isn't there.

P.S.
I gave him an A.

Sorry I didn't see this until today, but, MAN, what a great post.

A sad commentary, but well stated, sir.  I'm struggling along those same lines.

I can still remember growing up watching the great UCLA teams John Wooden was winning with, and loving their great discipline, teamwork, and execution.

Today's game is like watching a high school JV game to me. 

Plus the officiating.  It's a shame the game of CBB is being so changed because three officials want to call any and every thing they think MIGHT have happened.

I long for the days of team shooting 12-15 free throws in a game, not in a half.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 07, 2015, 10:55:58 am
Sorry I didn't see this until today, but, MAN, what a great post.

A sad commentary, but well stated, sir.  I'm struggling along those same lines.

I can still remember growing up watching the great UCLA teams John Wooden was winning with, and loving their great discipline, teamwork, and execution.

Today's game is like watching a high school JV game to me. 

Plus the officiating.  It's a shame the game of CBB is being so changed because three officials want to call any and every thing they think MIGHT have happened.

I long for the days of team shooting 12-15 free throws in a game, not in a half.

In the 90's I watched at least one college bball game every night of the season, in addition to attending most home games for the Hogs, and any tv games I could not make. Now, until the ncaat, I do not watch 2 hours, total, of college bball out side of the hogs. And Hogs games, I dvr, and fast forward through much of it. Have not been to a game since they played Okie St back in 03 or 04, can't remember which it was.

It is just not fun to watch, not worth my 2hr time commitment. Not just the Hogs, but college bball in general. I did not even watch much of the 1st two days of the ncaat this year, other than the Hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE