Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvell to Gators?

Started by Paul, October 30, 2017, 01:07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on October 30, 2017, 04:12:33 pm
Florida doesn't pay that much more than Arkansas and is going to hire their third coach in the last five of six
years.  Tell me which job is better again?

The one where you can most realistically compete for SEC and NC's. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on October 30, 2017, 04:12:33 pm
Florida doesn't pay that much more than Arkansas and is going to hire their third coach in the last five of six
years.  Tell me which job is better again?

The one that pays the most with the biggest buyout.......

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 30, 2017, 04:15:33 pm

And what does that matter when you get fired in year three for losing to Kirby Smart?

The Hawg Marshal

Some coaches think they can win anywhere.

hawgon

Once Saban retires, the West will be wide open again. 

sickboy

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 30, 2017, 04:21:48 pm
Some coaches think they can win anywhere.

Yeah. It's like people forget the ego it takes to ascend to that level of coaching.

Paul

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 30, 2017, 02:14:17 pm
I've still never seen a link to that.
me either but he's told that to Geoff Calkins of the Commercial Appeal & several other people.  Wouldn't expect a sitting head coach to name another program as their "dream job."   Wouldn't be prudent to burn bridges till you've already crossed over them.   

greenie

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 30, 2017, 02:19:07 pm
You conveniently forgot one......

If you're referring to JLS, strictly speaking, Long did not hire him.  He promoted him to interim after the team lobbied to keep him as interim while the search was on after the motorcycle incident.  Long gave in to the team's request.  Bottom line...Petrino hired JLS in 2009 to coach special teams, not Long.  In general, Petrino's staff was very unimpressive...not even close to Bielema's.

At Arkansas, Long hired Petrino and Bielema.  Both were seen as excellent hires at the time of hiring...at least by those with any common sense.  If it comes to it, I expect Long to make another good move.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on October 30, 2017, 04:18:34 pm
And what does that matter when you get fired in year three for losing to Kirby Smart?

McElwain wasn't fired for only losing to Kirby.  Much more went into it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

grayhawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 30, 2017, 04:15:33 pm
And a quicker way to being unemployed.

hawgon

Quote from: greenie on October 30, 2017, 04:33:11 pm
If you're referring to JLS, strictly speaking, Long did not hire him.  He promoted him to interim after the team lobbied to keep him as interim while the search was on after the motorcycle incident.  Long gave in to the team's request.  Bottom line...Petrino hired JLS in 2009 to coach special teams, not Long.  In general, Petrino's staff was very unimpressive...not even close to Bielema's.

At Arkansas, Long hired Petrino and Bielema.  Both were seen as excellent hires at the time of hiring...at least by those with any common sense.  If it comes to it, I expect Long to make another good move.

JLS was no longer employed by Arkansas when Long hired him.  He was the head coach at another school and hadn't been at Arkansas since the prior November or early December.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: grayhawg on October 30, 2017, 04:34:55 pm
And a quicker way to being unemployed.

Maybe.  If that is how you are going into it, maybe you shouldn't be in the profession. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 30, 2017, 03:36:56 pm
Arkansas is a better job than Florida. We have an AD that gives out five year passes and declares you ahead of schedule even if you go winless in the SEC your first year. At Florida you got to win two division titles just to make it to year three.

now that's funny...

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Paul on October 30, 2017, 04:32:25 pm
  me either but he's told that to Geoff Calkins of the Commercial Appeal & several other people.  Wouldn't expect a sitting head coach to name another program as their "dream job."   Wouldn't be prudent to burn bridges till you've already crossed over them.   
I remember years ago coaches would have it put in their contracts, that they could leave for certain schools if that school ever came  calling. You could just read the contract and know what their "dream" job was.  I guess agents figured out that there is much more money to be made by going the buyout route instead.

hawgon

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 30, 2017, 04:42:18 pm
I remember years ago coaches would have it put in their contracts, that they could leave for certain schools if that school ever came  calling. You could just read the contract and know what their "dream" job was.  I guess agents figured out that there is much more money to be made by going the buyout route instead.

How much do you think you would get paid if you told a prospective employer, "This is the job I've wanted my whole life"?

Quickdraw

Quote from: hogfansince79 on October 30, 2017, 04:09:53 pm
It's not always about which job is better, but which job is the better fit.

If Norvell is from Texas, and has recruited more Texas kids (someone posted this the other day - don't know if true or not) to his Memphis team than is on our team, why go to Florida?

Florida carries a lot higher win percentage than Arkansas which makes it a lot harder to keep a job at Florida.

EastexHawg

Quote from: greenie on October 30, 2017, 04:33:11 pm

No, Long hired Smiley away from Weber State where he already had another job.  He wasn't on the Arkansas staff, he had left and been hired elsewhere.  Trying to claim that Long "didn't hire him" is not only false, but ridiculous.  He pulled him away from another school, signed him to a contract, gave him the title of head coach, and paid him to do the job.  That's pretty much the definition of hiring someone.

SPAL

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 01:50:20 pm
So lets fire em both, then who gets to hire the new head football coach? A committee? Yea, that worked great in the past. An interim AD? The BOT?

That dude will never be happy. Ever. A double arm amputee can count on both hands the number of times he has been positive about anything. I typically shy away from them. They bring nothing to this board.

ipigsooie

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 30, 2017, 04:59:29 pm
That dude will never be happy. Ever. A double arm amputee can count on both hands the number of times he has been positive about anything. I typically shy away from them. They bring nothing to this board.

I dont think the gators are interested in Norvell.  They are already reaching out to Willie Taggard and you have to think Mullen and Frost are going to get a call as well. Taggard makes a lot of sense as he is from the area and basically built the team that Charlie Strong is coaching this year.  He is at Oregon and his buyout is quite small, relatively speaking.  Also this would allow Oregon to pursue Chip Kelly if they decide they want to take the risk with his Show Cause  from his first stint .

The Hawg Marshal

Taggart at Oregon never did seem like the right fit to me.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: gchamblee on October 30, 2017, 02:09:10 pm
Football coaches hired by Jeff Long

1. Bobby Petrino
2. Bret Bielema
3. ?

I think he has done pretty well even though CBB hasn't worked out.
1. Bobby Petrino. Great coach, ethical issues that were clear to many WHEN he was hired at Arkansas, eventually got him fired.
2. John L Smith. An interim coaching hire that was disastrous on all levels. While obviously there weren't great choices for an interim job, it's hard to imagine there was a worse choice.
3. Bret Bielema. Wonderful resume, three Rose Bowls, obviously in way over his head in the SEC. Runs a clean program and seems to be a great guy. Worst career record pushing Arkansas to bottom of SEC.
4. ?

Reality: None of the three worked out. I don't blame Jeff Long and I think the Bielema choice seemed like a good one to me. But I wouldn't call it super successful.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 30, 2017, 05:32:49 pm
1. Bobby Petrino. Great coach, ethical issues that were clear to many WHEN he was hired at Arkansas, eventually got him fired.
2. John L Smith. An interim coaching hire that was disastrous on all levels. While obviously there weren't great choices for an interim job, it's hard to imagine there was a worse choice.
3. Bret Bielema. Wonderful resume, three Rose Bowls, obviously in way over his head in the SEC. Runs a clean program and seems to be a great guy. Worst career record pushing Arkansas to bottom of SEC.
4. ?

Reality: None of the three worked out. I don't blame Jeff Long and I think the Bielema choice seemed like a good one to me. But I wouldn't call it super successful.

IF Long decides to pull the trigger, I think there is a greater than 50/50 chance we'll end up with Gus as # 4.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

greenie

Quote from: hawgon on October 30, 2017, 04:38:08 pm
JLS was no longer employed by Arkansas when Long hired him.  He was the head coach at another school and hadn't been at Arkansas since the prior November or early December.

Yep...forgot about that.  Did I also dream that the team lobbied for JLS?  Damn, I'm getting old.

Boardon Hamsay

I would die laughing if Florida hired Gruden and crushed all Vol hope.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Did Norvell build anything or is he riding on the work that was previously done there? He may be like CBB at Whisky in that respect. Let's see how he does at Florida on his own. At least he won't have to recruit too hard to get quality players there.

gchamblee

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 30, 2017, 06:25:43 pm
I would die laughing if Florida hired Gruden and crushed all Vol hope.

I don't think Gruden is that good of a coach. I think whoever hires him, if he takes a job, is going to show the world how little he had to do with that SB win.

longpig

Quote from: gchamblee on October 30, 2017, 02:09:10 pm
Football coaches hired by Jeff Long

1. Bobby Petrino
2. Bret Bielema
3. ?

I think he has done pretty well even though CBB hasn't worked out.

Yeh, not seeing the resemblance either.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Dark Helmet Hog

Whoever does take the Florida job should definitely consider leasing instead of buying.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 30, 2017, 04:58:35 pm
No, Long hired Smiley away from Weber State where he already had another job.  He wasn't on the Arkansas staff, he had left and been hired elsewhere.  Trying to claim that Long "didn't hire him" is not only false, but ridiculous.  He pulled him away from another school, signed him to a contract, gave him the title of head coach, and paid him to do the job.  That's pretty much the definition of hiring someone.

Didn't Long set smiley's contract up to were the money he was paid at the U of A was protected from creditors that he owed due to bad investments?

gchamblee

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on October 30, 2017, 06:37:19 pm
Didn't Long set smiley's contract up to were the money he was paid at the U of A was protected from creditors that he owed due to bad investments?

Im pretty sure Long set the contract up at the request of JLS without knowing the reason. It wasn't anything illegal, just odd. JLS had a bad year personally and he was very shady with the contract. I think his dad died, he lost all his money in a bad investment and the IRS was breathing down his neck. We got to watch him snap with a front row seat. Definitely not one of our finer moments.

bvillepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 30, 2017, 02:17:22 pm
You forgot Jim Grobe.  And...he offered Tommy Bowden.

Stevie Wonder would do as well throwing darts at a board with names on it...in a hurricane.

I don't know why people leave these facts out.  If it had not been for the foundation Grobe would have been the next coach instead of Petrino.

Justagp

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 30, 2017, 06:30:00 pm
Did Norvell build anything or is he riding on the work that was previously done there? He may be like CBB at Whisky in that respect. Let's see how he does at Florida on his own. At least he won't have to recruit too hard to get quality players there.
He got the number 1 recruiting class outside the power 5 this year - that had never happened in Memphis prior.

hawgon

Quote from: gchamblee on October 30, 2017, 06:42:24 pm
Im pretty sure Long set the contract up at the request of JLS without knowing the reason. It wasn't anything illegal, just odd. JLS had a bad year personally and he was very shady with the contract. I think his dad died, he lost all his money in a bad investment and the IRS was breathing down his neck. We got to watch him snap with a front row seat. Definitely not one of our finer moments.

Wrong.  Long said that he knew of JLS' bankruptcy problems before he hired him and set it up as the way they did so that it would not be subject to his creditors.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: gchamblee on October 30, 2017, 06:30:23 pm
I don't think Gruden is that good of a coach. I think whoever hires him, if he takes a job, is going to show the world how little he had to do with that SB win.

Me either. Name wise, he's a grand slam. Pure coaching wise, at the college level, would be more like a sliding double.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Hawg Life

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 30, 2017, 06:06:07 pm
IF Long decides to pull the trigger, I think there is a greater than 50/50 chance we'll end up with Gus as # 4.

0.0 chance Gus ever coaches @ Arkansas!!

East Clintwood

Quote from: rhames on October 30, 2017, 02:10:22 pm

Get out of here with those facts.
Quote from: hawgon on October 30, 2017, 02:15:23 pm
Dave Wannstadt and John L. Smith

As well as offers to Grobe and  Bowden. Thankfully they turned him down.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

texas tush hog

my3boneheads

Tennessee gets Gruden. We get Wade Phillips

The Hawg Marshal

A guy on the Memphis board who is supposed to be one of their "insiders", said that he didn't think Norvell was going to Florida.He did say Norvell wants the Arkansas job , but if he didn't get it , that there is mutual interest between him and Ole Miss. tifwiw

jvanhorn

Quote from: tusked on October 30, 2017, 01:38:31 pm
I think the entry schools into the SEC for Norvell are AR, OMU, MSU, MO, maybe Auburn.  Don't see him looking at a Vandy or KY. 

For where he is now, I think FL is out of reach.  TN is the wild card.  I don't see them taking the risk but I might be wrong.  Doesn't mean that's the right decision, cause I'd love to give him a chance as the hogs coach.

I see hog fans as more than willing to try Norvell on the hill than I read TN fans willing to have Norvell on the river in Knoxville.

I don't think Kentucky is looking for a new head coach.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Justagp on October 30, 2017, 06:58:03 pm
He got the number 1 recruiting class outside the power 5 this year - that had never happened in Memphis prior.

What rank was that when compared directly to the Power 5? I can't remember and need someone to help me recall.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 30, 2017, 04:58:35 pm

Yes. Of course Long did hire JLS after Petrino had hired JLS previously as an assistant. Then JLS left and was brought back.  Seems like somebody claimed Petrino considered JLS one of his mentors. And there were stories that the players liked JLS.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

hogsanity

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 31, 2017, 12:00:52 pm
What rank was that when compared directly to the Power 5? I can't remember and need someone to help me recall.

247 ranked Memphis class 58th. Oddly enough right behind at 59 was Scott Frost at UCF. The only difference in the 2 was that Memphis signed one 4 star, UCF none. Both signed 20 3 stars. Again just looking at 247.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan98

Quote from: greenie on October 30, 2017, 06:09:38 pm
Yep...forgot about that.  Did I also dream that the team lobbied for JLS?  Damn, I'm getting old.

I think the players wanted Tim Horton.

yraciv

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 30, 2017, 04:00:17 pm
If Norvell chose Arkansas over Florida, I would see him as dumber than Bielema leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas. 

Mike's wife's family is from Fort Smith, he has in laws that have attended the University of Arkansas, and he went to UCA. Maybe Florida is a better job from a national perspective, but there is a chance that Arkansas may be a better personal fit for him.

GuvHog

Quote from: yraciv on October 31, 2017, 03:49:57 pm
Mike's wife's family is from Fort Smith, he has in laws that have attended the University of Arkansas, and he went to UCA. Maybe Florida is a better job from a national perspective, but there is a chance that Arkansas may be a better personal fit for him.

Yep, Norvell really wants the Arkansas job and I wouldn't have a problem with him getting it.

He isn't #1 on my list though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

VegasHog

The one coach who would keep other SEC coaches up at night if he was named coach at Florida is Chip Kelly. I know its a long shot for Arkansas but if I was AD in search of a coach the first call I make is to Kelly's agent, offer him 8-10mil and make him say no.

ChicoHog

ChicoHog

Quote from: llemmonds on October 31, 2017, 04:56:09 pm
The one coach who would keep other SEC coaches up at night if he was named coach at Florida is Chip Kelly. I know its a long shot for Arkansas but if I was AD in search of a coach the first call I make is to Kelly's agent, offer him 8-10mil and make him say no.
Kelly doesn't like recruiting, doesn't like the fund raising and rubber chicken circuit, doesn't like the "under the microscope" life of a college coach at a big time institution like UF.  He just wants to coach football and be left alone.  that won't happen at UF or most major jobs.  he would be a better fit at a remote place like he was at Oregon.  Plus he cheated to win there. 

ChicoHog

I heard Mike Hugedin of Gridironnow.com on the radio yesterday saying he doesn't think Mullen will get Florida job because of burned bridges there before and Scott Stricklin, current UF AD and former Miss st AD, doesn't like him either.