Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V Tenner

Started by flippinhogmana, February 05, 2018, 04:08:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

In all likelihood, even at home we shouldn't have a chance of upsetting Tenner.
They have beaten us like a drum down through the years, but we beat them last year.
Their big girl is good, but a little slow.
If we start fast (unlike how we usually do at home) we have a chance to play them close, even perhaps beat them.  We have to hit a lot of threes if we are going to be in it at the end.  We have to get to the line and we have to hit our free throws.

I wont be surprised if we lose, but if we lose, we are still likely to be within one game of eighth place as Kentucky and Bama also played rank teams Thursday night.  Both of them have rougher schedules the rest of the way and we control our destiny to an extinct because we play Kentucky on the road.

Our game is the usually time, 7pm, at the Bud.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

Somehow we need to get their center in foul trouble in addition to what Flippin said.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on February 05, 2018, 04:19:29 pm
Somehow we need to get their center in foul trouble in addition to what Flippin said.

Certainly wouldnt hurt! 

Bama will lose at least four more times and so will Kentucky (five if we beat them on the road).  We might lose only three more times if we upset either Tenner or Missouri (more unlikely imho, although I would dearly love to beat them).
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

I think we also need to hope they have an off shooting night. In their losses, when they can't get the ball inside to Russell, they are a very beatable (but honestly, still more talented than us) team. If Russell's on the bench or smothered, it could be a game. Their PG is good, but a true freshman. Will be interesting to see what Monk can do with her.

jackflash

they way we have to now. Winning will depend on how we shoot

flippinhogmana

February 06, 2018, 07:13:39 pm #5 Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:20:30 pm by flippinhogmana
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/neighbors-previews-no-11-tennessee/

Coach Neighbors says some interesting things about Cosper, the Alabama win carryover, and other things.  And in a note regarding previous thread comments on the forum, I noticed that Bailey Zimmerman, flashed to the high post a lot in the game against Alabama.  On one play, two players even posted at the opposite corners of the free throw line at the same time.

Bailey has some of the skills that I alluded to that are helpful in that role, she can shoot (I am not saying hit with regularity, but is not afraid to shoot the shots from there and she did), she can drive (and she did) and she can shoot on the run (which she did, at least once successfully).  If she could hit with regularity, as she sometimes does, it adds a lot - a whole new dimension to our team.

One thing I enjoyed about that role as a player - is that just because that is usually where you rotate to - that doesn't mean you are necessary confined to just there.  If the zone constricts too much on you there, you can also rotate outside, from there you can set screens for other players, you can do all sorts of things to help the team.  One thing about Bailey is that she is 6-0 and long armed, agile.  If she could consistently hit jumpers from there, it would make her drives and other shots more effective.   Her hooks, she needs work on.  she needs a lot of work on her left hand and her left handed drives and shots (she almost always drives to the right) She also needs to not put up wild shots.  But on the positive side, she isnt shy and she isnt afraid to shoot or mix it up.  If she could consistently score even ten points a game, it would make us much more dangerous when she is in and flashing to that area against a zone.

psycHOGlogist

February 06, 2018, 07:42:22 pm #6 Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:24:05 pm by psycHOGlogist
Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 06, 2018, 07:13:39 pm

Bailey has some of the skills that I alluded to that are helpful in that role, she can shoot (I am not saying hit with regularity, but is not afraid to shoot the shots from there and she did), she can drive (and she did)

No, no, no, No NOOOOOO! Bailey should never, every be allowed to put the ball on the floor.

Ever.

She is a turnover waiting to happen against anyone with a modicum of individual ability. I really like her as a scrapper, rebounder, hustler, etc., and if she is so alone that she needs therapy, as a spot shooter. :-)

Edit: I should clarify that I actually really like Zimmerman on the floor. She is a 110% heart and soul kid, and I love the way she plays with abandon and just goes for it. Having said that, I think it's important for her to play within her limitations. She isn't quick enough to take SEC players off the dribble, and her handles are not that great. She's very valuable on the court when she plays to her strengths, imo.

flippinhogmana

well crap brother, she is playing, and she is shooting, and she is driving, so she might as well improve in all three!

:P

BWS

Call me crazy, but I have a good feeling about this game. I think we have a chance to pull off an upset.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: BWS on February 06, 2018, 08:27:15 pm
Call me crazy, but I have a good feeling about this game. I think we have a chance to pull off an upset.

well we are going to be disappointed if they lose, we might as well double down and expect a win!

LadybackBBFan

A win would be huge.  I agree with both Fillipin and Physcologist on BZ.  I believe BZ is improving on what we would like to see her play like - look at the Alabama game.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: BWS on February 06, 2018, 08:27:15 pm

A win would be keeping it in single digits.

flippinhogmana

February 07, 2018, 10:51:15 am #12 Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:01:29 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 07, 2018, 09:35:43 am
A win would be keeping it in single digits.

the rest of us aren't just looking for improvement or moral victories.  That is not so say your point is totally lost, it's just to say that the regulars on this board are as patient as we need to be or will need to be in the future.  We just think this team can still surprise.  .

Dr. Starcs

I'd love for us to beat Tenner.
Just don't see it happening in any way.  Hope I'm wrong.

WPS

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 07, 2018, 01:58:32 pm
I'd love for us to beat Tenner.
Just don't see it happening in any way.  Hope I'm wrong.

WPS

So far I dont think we have won any games that we shouldn't have won.  In fact without the loss of Cosper and atrocious officiating in one game, we might have as many as three more wins (Alabama at home, Florida and Kentucky).  But Cosper is now back at close to 100 percent, Tenner should win by all accounts, but we will see.  Also our next game against Mizzou I would like to win even more.  Mizzou hasn't been playing as well the last several games - they dropped three in a row, and narrowly beat Florida (who has been playing better since getting their first win against us) at home.  They haven't shot the ball as well (without Porter's 27 points they would have lost big time against Florida), and they haven't played defense as well.

flippinhogmana

will this be upset Thursday?  I like the feel that is in the air.

flippinhogmana

tonights game will not be an SEC broadcast TV game, but it will be available on SEC via internet.

ladybackfan

Have they listed the referee for this game. No one can be as bad as the black hair female last home game. She was HORRIBLE.

logic

I concede that Tennessee will win.  Probably by 20 points unless their entire team comes down with flu or something of that nature.  So rather than paying any attention to the score, I will be entertained by watching what Monk and other of my favorite players do.

flippinhogmana

same starting lineup for us.  The one girl I think we have to stop isnt the point guard so much or even Russell, the big girl, but Nared, their 6-2 guard/forward who is their leading scorer.  I assume we will put Zimmer on her.

flippinhogmana

Tip off coming up in just over ten minutes.

flippinhogmana

this will at least be the last time we have to face Mercedes Russell and Jaime Nared as they are both seniors.

flippinhogmana

sometimes upsets run in waves through the league, Auburn is up by 12 at halftime over LSU,  Bama is playing (or was) SC tough, now they are down by 15 at half, and Florida is 13 back of MsState, with Vandy 9 back of GA, all at  the half.

flippinhogmana

players on the court tip off about to happen

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

mason ties it up
Mm hits a three to give the hogs a 5-4 lead

flippinhogmana

cosper hits a three to give the hogs an 8-6 lead

flippinhogmana

Tenner ties it up and a ft coming on the contact after the media time out with 4:58 remaining in the first quarter

flippinhogmana

tenner hits the ft for a 9-8 lead
zimmer blocked twice on the drive, but then tenner turns it over
monk drills a three to give the hogs a 11-9 lead

flippinhogmana

13-12 off a thomas runout after a tenner three 3:44 to go

flippinhogmana

drive inside gives tenner the lead back at 14-13 and the hogs turn it over on a thomas offensive foul
tenner misses but offensive board gives Russell her first bucket, tenner up 16-15 after a thomas counter inside, 2:12 to go

flippinhogmana

Russell with another offensive board and putback and then a DC triple ties it at 18, with a minute and a half to go

flippinhogmana

RNB picks up a fould, and russell hits inside, 20-18
Rnb turns it over and fouls on the other end, tenner to the line
first ft good, second and so is the second, 22-18 tenner, monk drives and scores, hogs down two and tenner turns it over

flippinhogmana

final shot of the quarter for the hogs, cosper misses and a long shot doesnt fall for the vols, so hogs down two at the end of the first.

flippinhogmana

monk with eight, cosper with six, thomas with four and mason with two for the hogs, mason and cosper with two boards, zimmer with a couple of assists

flippinhogmana

tenner with a ucket to open the quarter, 24-20
cosper playing at high post but throws it away on the kickout
mm misses a layup and tenner hits a three, 27-20
cosper airballs a three, but then gets a steal, cosper hits driving jumper, 27-22, with 7:44 to go in the half
tenner comes up empty, williams misses inside but gets the board and will go to the line, lets hope she shoots better than usual, misses the first,
Russel comes back in, wiliams second is alos a miss

flippinhogmana

mason picks up her first foul on a double tema on russell
tenner gets the board, hogs need more height, hogs get a favorable call on the out of bounds, should have been to vols, williams misses an outside jumper
tenner comes up empty again, mason hits to draw the hogs within three

flippinhogmana

tenner misses but gets the off board and putback, vols by five
zimmer bricks anothe rshot but rnb gets the board and mason hits a three, to put the hogs back within two,
tenner fouled and will go to the line, media time out, half the quarter to go

flippinhogmana

the ut player also hit the shot (didnt see that) so she hits the ft, to put the vols up by five
zimmer hits a jumper to draw the hogs back within three,
hogs really having a problem with tenner height on the defensive boards, now they even get the board and stick back off a missed ft
cosper with a bucket pulls it back to five, but then vols hit a three, to push it to eight, 39-31 with 3:12 to go

Dr. Starcs

Played a solid 15 minutes.

Too much size and athleticism. Worn down

flippinhogmana

mason turnover, but the vols get and offensive board after a miss and then an easy bucket inside, for a ten point lead with 2:39 to go.  Hogs time out on the court

flippinhogmana

cosper hits another three, 41-34
zimmer bricks a three
tenner comes up empty again, monk feeds a streaking zimmer for a layup, 41-36
tenner answers inside, 43-36 with a minute to go
mason misses a three
tenner with a turnover and the hogs will try for the last shot most likely with thirty seconds to go
monk turns it over trying to shoot against russel six second to go
so we go to the half hos seven back

flippinhogmana

cosper with 13 pts, 2 boards, 1 foul, 1 turnover, monk with 8, mason with 7, thomas and zimmer with four

davis has 13 for the vols, jackson with 8, russel with 6, dunbard and nared with 5, hayes with four westbrook with 2

flippinhogmana

hogs with 15 boards, four of them offensive,
vols with 28 boards, 12 of them offensive,
hogs with 8 fouls, vols with 3
hogs with 5 turnovers, vols with 7
hogs 0-4 from the line, vols 4-5

flippinhogmana

rebounds, particularly offensive and the lack of hitting at the line, is the difference in the game right now despite the fact that the hogs have hit 6-14 3s, to the vols 3-14.

offensive boards has given them seven more shots, despite their turnovers

flippinhogmana

vols have 3 blocks, two of them by russell as well

flippinhogmana

auburn is still up on LSU by ten, and bama is within nine of SC, near the end of their games, florida is now getting blown out by MSST and vandy is with twelve of GA

flippinhogmana

second half about to get underway, bama lost, and auburn won their games
game uderwayus monks misses, williams with the offensive board, misses get her own board and scores, and hits the ft to pull the hogs within four

flippinhogmana

tenner scores inside to go back up by six
monk misses a wide open runner in cose

tenner turns if overzimmer misses a three
vols come up empt and monk hits a layup on the runout, back to a four point game
tenner turns it over

flippinhogmana

cosper fouled on the drive, non shooting
monk blicked but wiliams cleans it up for a two point game
45-43 with 7:30 to go
mason picks up a non shooting foul
and tenner hits a three, 47-43 (maybe a two)
mason fouled on the shot, will go to the line, hits the first and the second hits as well, two point game with under seven to go in the quarter