Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Extremely Good Coaching Job

Started by ShadowHawg, February 24, 2018, 07:35:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Game plan kept Sexton in check and forced Bama to win by playing through other guys.

Played a lot of zone down the stretch, kept guys rested, pushed the right buttons on rotation, and also had hack a Hall when he got the ball down low.

The Hogs were mentally tough today as well. Great job.

greenEGnHAWGS

Agreed. Good game plan. Sexton is just so fast, he's hard to contain.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hogfan98

The zone was big.  Made Bama play offense for a lot of shot clock.  Really shortened the game and made it easier to hold on to the lead.

hogsanity

Makes you wonder why it takes so long every season for him to go back to the same thing. Play zone, keep the ball in front of you, don't foul, and at least try to rebound. Same thing they did last year down the stretch, and in Portis Soph season. When will it dawn on Mike to do this for an entire season?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Agree. Hopefully we stick with this plan.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on February 24, 2018, 11:16:08 pm
Makes you wonder why it takes so long every season for him to go back to the same thing. Play zone, keep the ball in front of you, don't foul, and at least try to rebound. Same thing they did last year down the stretch, and in Portis Soph season. When will it dawn on Mike to do this for an entire season?
It's not his preferred method, but talents like Barford and Macon are too good not to play. Real happy he bent some on his preference. Locked up our 3rd tourney appearance in 4 years! Go Hogs!
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

texas tush hog

The announcers said it, but it has been obvious that Mike is a victim of his own player development. Ie Portis and Gafford have both developed into potential first rounders but were not projected to be. Gafford was not even thought about as a one and done early in the season but could be now. I think he knows who to credit for his development an will possibly see the benefit of this staff's tutelidge for another season, I hope so anyway.

latrops

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 25, 2018, 07:58:36 am

The announcers said it, but it has been obvious that Mike is a victim of his own player development. Ie Portis and Gafford have both developed into potential first rounders but were not projected to be. Gafford was not even thought about as a one and done early in the season but could be now. I think he knows who to credit for his development an will possibly see the benefit of this staff's tutelidge for another season, I hope so anyway.

Portis was projected as a first round pick for his entire sophomore season.  He came in as. PARADE and Mcdonald's all American.  It would have been a failure of player development if he didn't leave early.

Gafford was projected as a two or three year player for us.  That he has shown enough promise to project as a mid first rounder already is somewhat unexpected.  His leaving will hurt next years team quite a bit.  However, next year was to be a rebuilding year anyway, and Gafford shouldn't have been counted on beyond his sophomore season.

The early departure that was unecpevted and hurt the most was Qualls.  That was a complete surprise given how much he would have been counted on as a senior and his iffy status as a NBA prospect.

raz1965

Great game plan last night , which was executed by the players for a big win. This team has won it' fair share of games down the stretch. 

Letsroll1200

The hogs have won 5 of the last 6 games. This team is trending in the right direction. I thought Arkansas kept Bama off balance. They played man to man, match up, and they trapped full court a little.

forrest city joe

Great coaching by Mike Anderson and his staff.that zone slowed down Sexton getting to the rim.beating Bama on the roard is a big time win.Hogs are going Dancing yet again.

razorpimp

I think the Hogs win a lot more games and are a higher seed in the tourney if they played that defense and style all year! 

hawgball40

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 24, 2018, 07:35:25 pm
Game plan kept Sexton in check and forced Bama to win by playing through other guys.

Played a lot of zone down the stretch, kept guys rested, pushed the right buttons on rotation, and also had hack a Hall when he got the ball down low.

The Hogs were mentally tough today as well. Great job.
Suprisingly, i agree. my 2 major takeaways from the game were about sexton and hall not getting much at all. normally hall has been dunking all over people, but you could see he, nor any other player wanted any part of Gafford in the paint. such a difference maker is Gafford. I love it.

hawgball40

Quote from: razorpimp on February 25, 2018, 09:27:03 am
I think the Hogs win a lot more games and are a higher seed in the tourney if they played that defense and style all year!
I don't know. I think there is some credence to thinking we need that press as an added wrinkle. We do have a talent deficit with alot of clubs, especially WRT our bench. But i do agree, we have no business pressing most of the game. We should situationally press. Maybe even start out the game pressing, and alternate. give them a different look on every possession. hopefully this is something mike and melvin talk about this offseason and we see a new fire next year.

razorpimp

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 25, 2018, 09:31:15 am
I don't know. I think there is some credence to thinking we need that press as an added wrinkle. We do have a talent deficit with alot of clubs, especially WRT our bench. But i do agree, we have no business pressing most of the game. We should situationally press. Maybe even start out the game pressing, and alternate. give them a different look on every possession. hopefully this is something mike and melvin talk about this offseason and we see a new fire next year.

I agree 100% on your idea of changing it up to throw off the other team.

When you are talent deficient then you have to grind it out and keep the came as close as possible....give yourself a shot to win at the end of the game

hawgball40

Quote from: razorpimp on February 25, 2018, 09:35:12 am
I agree 100% on your idea of changing it up to throw off the other team.

When you are talent deficient then you have to grind it out and keep the came as close as possible....give yourself a shot to win at the end of the game
My biggest complaint is the subbing patterns, especially at the beginning of the game. It's bitten us in the ass multiple times this year (If memory serves, but i know it did in the kentucky game).

bvillepig

Our bench had a rough game in the Ky game. We had some wide open looks early but the shots didn't fall. If our bench would have played well that game would have went to the wire.

DeltaBoy

Good job by the Staff and Players.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

If that game plan was extremely good coaching, then the loses to LSU were both the result of extremely bad coaching because the same plan would have won both those games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

liljo

I think Coach Anderson has been coaching this team towards March all year.  Every possible combination of players in every possible situation. They have experimented with multiple defenses, none of which have worked against everyone, but all have worked at times against someone. 

The tourney, especially after the first round, is just a toss up. The Hogs drew UNC last year and went toe-to-toe.

I stand by the coach and team.

WPS!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

HawgTrough

Dustin Thomas is playing like a man possessed. If he can stay out of foul trouble, it's a complete game changer.
WPS

steveaustin69

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 25, 2018, 07:58:36 am

What? Portis was a Mcdonald's All American.

USChog

Quote from: liljo on February 26, 2018, 09:56:17 am
I think Coach Anderson has been coaching this team towards March all year.  Every possible combination of players in every possible situation. They have experimented with multiple defenses, none of which have worked against everyone, but all have worked at times against someone. 

The tourney, especially after the first round, is just a toss up. The Hogs drew UNC last year and went toe-to-toe.

I stand by the coach and team.

WPS!

Honestly, this. I think so much of MA's approach is to try everything possible in the regular season so come tournament time we have seen it all and are ready to implement any combination. It means we will lose some games in the regular season, but be much more prepared come March.

I also hear people question why Mike waits so long in the season to make certain defensive changes, and I have a theory: (there is no evidence behind this other than my cognition) when it gets late into conference play teams don't even have to scout anymore. Coaches know teams tendencies and their go to guys. Well guess what happens when a man to man team who plays run and gun basketball all of a sudden moves to zone and plays through the post? Teams are not ready for that. It takes them a while to adjust and we get a few extra possessions out of it. Like I said, just a theory, and I know it will get torn apart.

Cheers to more success in the oncoming weeks!