Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brent Venables

Started by rtr, September 16, 2017, 10:35:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rtr

Yall that have been pumping him, maybe onto someting.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Sed76

He will end up at Tennessee, Auburn or A&M. If and when we make a coaching change Jeff will shat the bed once again.

010HogFan

Didn't he want the job at one point?

HogAlum99

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 17, 2017, 12:08:09 am
Didn't he want the job at one point?

Yes, and so did Jimmy Johnson back at the end of the '83 season! We all know how that turned out. So as our luck would have it, wherever Venables ends up, they are due for greatness!

sickboy

Why? He's been a DC since 1999. What makes you guys think he's HC material?

Murr

Quote from: sickboy on September 17, 2017, 12:13:00 am
Why? He's been a DC since 1999. What makes you guys think he's HC material?
Consistent great defenses.  We apparently can't recruit anyone that wants to play on that side.

sickboy

Quote from: Murr on September 17, 2017, 12:17:41 am
Consistent great defenses.  We apparently can't recruit anyone that wants to play on that side.

That's just not true at all.

And Muschamp was a great DC. So was Bo Pelini.

Maybe Venables is a great HC in waiting. I worry when a guy hasn't moved up from a coordinator position after that long.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Sed76 on September 16, 2017, 11:59:15 pm
He will end up at Tennessee, Auburn or A&M. If and when we make a coaching change Jeff will shat the bed once again.
Jeff keeps an up-to-date data base of Bowden brothers at all times.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: sickboy on September 17, 2017, 12:23:31 am

Maybe Venables is a great HC in waiting. I worry when a guy hasn't moved up from a coordinator position after that long.

I think we could make it work with a great defensive coach like Venables, but we would just need to make sure we have a great offensive coordinator with stellar playcalling to complement him.
SCREW Vandy!

mboot

I'm not saying he is the answer but I would bet a years pay he would do better than Beilema in 5 yrs time.

sickboy

Quote from: mboot on September 17, 2017, 12:48:31 am
I'm not saying he is the answer but I would bet a years pay he would do better than Beilema in 5 yrs time.

Don't say that. These coaches are so unpredictable. You never know.

GoHogs1091

I wouldn't be surprised if Venables has been told by the Clemson Athletic Administration that it is guaranteed he will be Swinney's replacement if Swinney leaves to go to Alabama in the future.  Some people may be figuring that Saban will be at Alabama only 3 or 4 more years.

If he isn't Swinney's replacement at Clemson, then there are just a few big-time Head Coach jobs that he may end up considering or taking.

He has put himself in a position for a big-time Head Coach job.

We had our chance to hire him in 2007 and 2012, but instead we hired a NFL failure and instead we hired a Coach who won some games against the mediocrity of at that time down Little 10 conference.

mboot

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 17, 2017, 01:03:15 am
I wouldn't be surprised if Venables has been told by the Clemson Athletic Administration that it is guaranteed he will be Swinney's replacement if Swinney leaves to go to Alabama in the future.  Some people may be figuring that Saban will be at Alabama only 3 or 4 more years.

If he isn't Swinney's replacement at Clemson, then there are just a few big-time Head Coach jobs that he may end up considering or taking.

He has put himself in a position for a big-time Head Coach job.

We had our chance to hire him in 2007 and 2012, but instead we hired a NFL failure and instead we hired a Coach who won some games against the mediocrity of at that time down Little 10 conference.

I lived in Alabama in 14 and 15
When I would bring up how great of a coach Dabo was to the Alabama and Auburn fans they would laugh at me.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: mboot on September 17, 2017, 01:17:11 am
I lived in Alabama in 14 and 15
When I would bring up how great of a coach Dabo was to the Alabama and Auburn fans they would laugh at me.

There are still some Alabama fans who are not sold on Swinney.  I have seen some of their comments on a SEC Message Board over on another site.

One Alabama fan has posted that he wants to wait to see how Swinney does without Watson before he decides about Swinney.

About 2 years ago, one Alabama fan posted that the powers that be (PTBs) at Alabama would never allow the offense that Swinney likes to utilize.

WizardofhOgZ

IMO, Venables is a guy who will (has) top out as a very strong Defensive coordinator. Not everyone is cut out to be a HEAD coach, which is far different from coaching a position or even coordinating offense or defense (examples - Ed Orgeron, Norm Chow, John Blake, Norv Turner, Lane Kiffin)

There's a reason Venables interviewed for several HC jobs but is still a coordinator. Not the guy I'd want to hire as Arkansas' Head Coach.

Not saying I wouldn't hire ANY assistant as our HC (although I do prefer that he have some HC experience). But he has to have the intangibles that all successful HC's have. Guys like Venables don't necessarily have those traits.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Could he recruit the same talent on defense at Arkansas? Jimmie's and Joe's, man.

King Kong

Quote from: sickboy on September 17, 2017, 12:23:31 am

I actually thought Pelini's defenses at LSU always underachieved

HotlantaHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 17, 2017, 01:24:01 am
There are still some Alabama fans who are not sold on Swinney.  I have seen some of their comments on a SEC Message Board over on another site.

One Alabama fan has posted that he wants to wait to see how Swinney does without Watson before he decides about Swinney.

About 2 years ago, one Alabama fan posted that the powers that be (PTBs) at Alabama would never allow the offense that Swinney likes to utilize.
I think it's pretty clear Dabo will do OK without Watson after beating Top 15 teams on consecutive weeks with a new QB.

Dr. Starcs

Dabo has absolutely surprised me as a head coach. Guy must be relentless on the recruiting trail.

bulldog04

He could go back to his alma mater to replace Snyder

HotlantaHog

Bubba's Bruisers

I wouldn't have a problem giving Venables a shot, but I still think if BB is indeed replaced, we would have a better shot at relevance with an offensive guru type.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

codeHog

September 17, 2017, 02:53:07 pm #22 Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:11:21 pm by codeHog
Give our DC the players Venables has coached and he would be an 'in demand' head coach.

BTW,,,,,with all the openings that may come up....our DC and OC may be coaching for a HC job. They need to pick it up if they want an interview

GuvHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 17, 2017, 02:48:28 pm
I wouldn't have a problem giving Venables a shot, but I still think if BB is indeed replaced, we would have a better shot at relevance with an offensive guru type.

If Venables was hired as Head Hog and he kept Dan Enos as OC, I think we'd see Venables turn the offense totally over to Enos and he would switch to a form of the spread. I still believe Enos has his hands tied by CBB.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

codeHog

why has Vandy been so good on D for so long? Do they just play against a lot of weak offenses in the East?

Why have we not paid a coach like Mason a million dollars to be a DC?

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 17, 2017, 12:42:14 am
Jeff keeps an up-to-date data base of Bowden brothers at all times.

I laughed until I realized it might be true.

codeHog

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 17, 2017, 08:49:54 am
I think it's pretty clear Dabo will do OK without Watson after beating Top 15 teams on consecutive weeks with a new QB.

Swinney seems to be doing okay without Watson and with a new QB.  They have a lot of elite talent around their new QB.

I really don't know if Swinney will leave Clemson to go to Alabama.  About the only thing that Alabama can offer him that he doesn't already have at Clemson is an extra around $500,000 to $750,000 per year.  That and the fact that Alabama's stadium holds around 20,000 more people than Clemson's stadium.  Clemson's new football center is on a whole different level compared to Alabama's football center.

If Swinney does go to Alabama, one thing that may give pause/worry to Alabama fans is if he doesn't bring Venables with him.  It should be remembered that Clemson's record is the following since they hired Venables.

11-2
11-2
10-3
14-1
14-1
3-0

Total   63 wins   9 losses

Clemson had just had a humiliating loss to West Virginia in a bowl game in which WVU scored 70 points right before they hired Venables.

Would Swinney be able to replicate the above recent Clemson stretch at Alabama without Venables as his DC?  Swinney would probably do reasonably well at Alabama without Venables, but it may be that Venables has taken/allowed Swinney to get to another level that Swinney could not attain without him.   

rtr

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 17, 2017, 03:50:28 pm
Swinney seems to be doing okay without Watson and with a new QB.  They have a lot of elite talent around their new QB.

I really don't know if Swinney will leave Clemson to go to Alabama.  About the only thing that Alabama can offer him that he doesn't already have at Clemson is an extra around $500,000 to $750,000 per year.  That and the fact that Alabama's stadium holds around 20,000 more people than Clemson's stadium.  Clemson's new football center is on a whole different level compared to Alabama's football center.

If Swinney does go to Alabama, one thing that may give pause/worry to Alabama fans is if he doesn't bring Venables with him.  It should be remembered that Clemson's record is the following since they hired Venables.

11-2
11-2
10-3
14-1
14-1
3-0

Total   63 wins   9 losses

Clemson had just had a humiliating loss to West Virginia in a bowl game in which WVU scored 70 points right before they hired Venables.

Would Swinney be able to replicate the above recent Clemson stretch at Alabama without Venables as his DC?  Swinney would probably do reasonably well at Alabama without Venables, but it may be that Venables has taken/allowed Swinney to get to another level that Swinney could not attain without him.   
That is a striking record since BV was hired.  What is Dabo's record before Venables?
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: rtr on September 17, 2017, 05:46:02 pm
That is a striking record since BV was hired.  What is Dabo's record before Venables?

Swinney's record at Clemson before Venables was hired was the following.

4-3   he took over mid-season from Tommy Bowden in 2008.
9-5
6-7
10-4

Total   29 wins   19 losses

Athog

Quote from: HogAlum99 on September 17, 2017, 12:12:59 am
Yes, and so did Jimmy Johnson back at the end of the '83 season! We all know how that turned out. So as our luck would have it, wherever Venables ends up, they are due for greatness!

So did Knute Rockne!

Bubba's Bruisers

I also think there's the same correlation at OU.  The D hasn't been the same since Bob dumped him for little brother.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hawgmasta

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 17, 2017, 06:13:41 pm
Swinney's record at Clemson before Venables was hired was the following.

4-3   he took over mid-season from Tommy Bowden in 2008.
9-5
6-7
10-4

Total   29 wins   19 losses

Dang, Venables is the man.