Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA vs ASU

Started by hogz11, December 12, 2013, 08:33:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogz11

I've been debating this with some friends for quite a while now. They keep saying either a home & home or play every year at WMS. Here's how I see it happening (if it ever does) unless ASU elevates itself to a school better than the Sun Belt........

UA and ASU play every year in Fayetteville at DWRRS. UA pays ASU nothing or next to nothing, but allots them more tickets as the game will sell out easy. No way you do a home & home as the Hogs are not going to play in a stadium that seats about 30,000 and I mean no way ever. I get why fans would want to see it at WMS, but it will never happen there under the condition of the current facilities. Plus, I'm sure the WMS commission will want money for the game and you can forget that. The Hogs are already on there way out and may never return to WMS after the next five years.

Anyway, the game may never happen. But if it does, that's how I see it without some big wild card coming into play. Anyone think different?

Pathogen

Quote from: hogz11 on December 12, 2013, 08:33:32 pm
I've been debating this with some friends for quite a while now. They keep saying either a home & home or play every year at WMS. Here's how I see it happening (if it ever does) unless ASU elevates itself to a school better than the Sun Belt........

UA and ASU play every year in Fayetteville at DWRRS. UA pays ASU nothing or next to nothing, but allots them more tickets as the game will sell out easy. No way you do a home & home as the Hogs are not going to play in a stadium that seats about 30,000 and I mean no way ever. I get why fans would want to see it at WMS, but it will never happen there under the condition of the current facilities. Plus, I'm sure the WMS commission will want money for the game and you can forget that. The Hogs are already on there way out and may never return to WMS after the next five years.

Anyway, the game may never happen. But if it does, that's how I see it without some big wild card coming into play. Anyone think different?

It will never happen.  Period.  Ever.  Not once.  Not ever.   

westside_player

I like the idea of playing every year in WMS. Just let that be the Hogs only game of the year there. It would be a big hit.

People say our local legislature won't step in but IMBTO they should. We throw away too much money to out of state teams and the game would benefit both programs in the long term. Yes, eventually there would be a year ASU would win. I just don't see it having a catastrophic long term effect on the Hogs though.

It was Broyles policy that there was nothing to win and every thing to lose which was logical then and still has merit, but I think that game would strongly benefit high school football in Arkansas if marketed right. Kids grow up wanting to play for the Hogs, they get easy access to the WMS game, the Hogs don't offer them, they go to AsU and try to knock off the Hogs. It would make junior high and high school kids work harder and get more interested in football.

go hogues

Nothing to gain. Everything to lose. No thanks.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hogman2

I do not care to see ASU play the Razorbacks ....EVER!

Runt

Please not this Crap again.  :puke:

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hooch

OFFICIALLY....Its the offseason. 

hawg IQ

Crazy  notion !  It would  be ASU super bowl ! Hogs could do nothing but bring down Arkansas as a whole. look even ASU fans root for hogs too! and most of us root for ASU- hence we are still one Arkansas nation- why mess with that !?
go hogs go !

BOAR_N2BWILD

oh wow that is a novel idea.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

OGR69

I have yet to see what the Hogs would gain from this game.  ASU gets all the benefits while the Hogs get.........nothing.

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

navyhog24

I had been waiting for this topic to be brought up again since its the offseason. We already had the mini-GSD with the new negotiation. What other typical topic is next to be brought up?

bigbadhog

If Nutt becomes the next ASU coach, it would be a very interesting game with similar coaching styles...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

westside_player

Quote from: OGR69 on December 12, 2013, 09:12:26 pm
I have yet to see what the Hogs would gain from this game.  ASU gets all the benefits while the Hogs get.........nothing.

Hogs would benefit. When Broyles thought of the policy it must have been in the 70's. Times have changed since then. But just barely

bythelake

I think it would be great to play asu at fay.  Asu  pays the hogs 25 mill and get 0 tickets.  Believe it or not that would still be a land slide gift to asu.  Faldon knows this but is just playing a dumb are and snickers with every asu  slanted post.  Surely.

pigbacon

ASU Wayne's World Style: "We aren't worthy. We aren't worthy."

Runt

I'm old and don't know much about computers, is there anyway the website can be fixed where if the letters ASU or Gus comes up it will automatically delete it.

Choctaw Hog

- Not going to happen.
- No reason to happen.
- Doesn't benefit The University of Arkansas one bit.
- I would rather the Razorbacks play UCA or Bentonville HS before we play the Indian/Red Wolves and their listen to their whiney-ass, pathetic fans.   

Sivad

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 12, 2013, 09:22:53 pm

The charity angle is the only way you could possibly make the game palatable to some Razorbacks fans.
If they are ever forced to play, it will be a "charity" game alright, charity for ASU.

blunts4mallett

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: hogz11 on December 12, 2013, 09:41:02 pm
You guys made me lol at your responses. I should have clarified I am not a proponent for the game. I totally agree UA has nothing to gain & everything to lose. I have a hard time explaining that to my radical Red Wolf Indian Jonestown friends. They all think ASU is ready to take on UA full time.....

Why do you have radical Red Wolf Indian Fans as friends?

DEVIL DOG HOG

IF they do play, it would have to be in Fayetteville!  WMS is too small.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

FrozenHam

Quote from: OGR69 on December 12, 2013, 09:12:26 pm

One benefit it would have is that this game would keep its revenue in the state of Arkansas, as opposed to the UA buying a victory from a Louisiana or Oklahoma directional school.  That would benefit Arkansas, regardless of school allegiance.

(notOM)Rebel123

Oh my, this again? Okay, if they play in WMS, do you think ASU will be happy with the usual ticket allotment for a Hog non-conference opponent? Absolutely not. So then, the Hogs have to make a concession for tickets. It's the "camel nose under the tent" situation.
ASU would keep demanding more & more...thus costing the UofA more and more.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hogtimes

Quote from: fvillehog on December 12, 2013, 08:37:22 pm
It will never happen.  Period.  Ever.  Not once.  Not ever.   

Oh whether we like it or not it is gonna happen sooner or later......and probably sooner than later.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: FrozenHam on December 12, 2013, 10:20:13 pm
One benefit it would have is that this game would keep its revenue in the state of Arkansas, as opposed to the UA buying a victory from a Louisiana or Oklahoma directional school.  That would benefit Arkansas, regardless of school allegiance.

Wrong. If ASU can go play Auburn the same week for $1 million, they'd come out ahead of what the UofA would pay ASU. This argument doesn't hold water.

Murr

Just don't.

HawgFan70

This shouldn't have ever been a issue. Razorback fans are so hypocritical it is pathetic, we play the old poor lil ole Arkansas card, yet give us all the say so against Arkansas State and we will shun the poor share croppers from the east. The Razorback team would likely be more fired up about playing A State than ULM, UTEP, Louisiana, or Samford it couldn't hurt recruiting inside the state either that's for sure. I thought the OP's suggestion of connecting it to ACH and giving them a nice donation is one of the best ideas I have heard in a while. I mean a SEC team with the best coaching staff in the nation should sweep a Sun belt team who changes coaches every year
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HawgFan70 on December 12, 2013, 10:41:16 pm
This shouldn't have ever been a issue. Razorback fans are so hypocritical it is pathetic, we play the old poor lil ole Arkansas card, yet give us all the say so against Arkansas State and we will shun the poor share croppers from the east. The Razorback team would likely be more fired up about playing A State than ULM, UTEP, Louisiana, or Samford it couldn't hurt recruiting inside the state either that's for sure. I thought the OP's suggestion of connecting it to ACH and giving them a nice donation is one of the best ideas I have heard in a while. I mean a SEC team with the best coaching staff in the nation should sweep a Sun belt team who changes coaches every year

Again, what does ASU bring to the table? Every argument for this game has the UofA making some type of financial sacrifice. Why doesn't ASU offer up $2-$3 million to the UofA to play? The donation to charity is just a ploy for ASU fans to say "see, the Hogs don't want to support ACH." ASU wants to play the Hogs, get paid by the UofA, demand an equal allotment of tickets, and have the UofA sacrifice a portion of ticket sales to charity. Yeah right.

Athog

Don't waste your time debating something that has been debated every time ASU needs attention. It will never happen never. Better question why should it? No reason. Get a better topic to debate.

HawgFan70

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 12, 2013, 10:44:44 pm
Again, what does ASU bring to the table? Every argument for this game has the UofA making some type of financial sacrifice. Why doesn't ASU offer up $2-$3 million to the UofA to play? The donation to charity is just a ploy for ASU fans to say "see, the Hogs don't want to support ACH." ASU wants to play the Hogs, get paid by the UofA, demand an equal allotment of tickets, and have the UofA sacrifice a portion of ticket sales to charity. Yeah right.

What does ULM, Samford, etc, etc, etc bring to the table? Look at all the big teams that play smaller schools inside their state. What would be wrong with plaing Arkansas State?
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HawgFan70 on December 12, 2013, 10:57:58 pm

What does ULM, Samford, etc, etc, etc bring to the table? Look at all the big teams that play smaller schools inside their state. What would be wrong with plaing Arkansas State?

It is not the UofA's responsibility to help advance the cause of ASU. ASU is competing against the UofA for fan support, donations & ticket sales. Why should the UofA assist them in their efforts?

HawgFan70

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 12, 2013, 11:08:53 pm
It is not the UofA's responsibility to help advance the cause of ASU. ASU is competing against the UofA for fan support, donations & ticket sales. Why should the UofA assist them in their efforts?

Im sure the same reason they would Tulsa. If Arkansas has a fear of Arkansas State growing into a year in and year out competitor we are in serious need of major changes in our athletic department

GTOWNHOG

Yeah, we can call it EGGBOWL Arkansas....
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HawgFan70 on December 12, 2013, 11:21:02 pm

Im sure the same reason they would Tulsa. If Arkansas has a fear of Arkansas State growing into a year in and year out competitor we are in serious need of major changes in our athletic department

Why even give it a chance to happen? I guess Wal Mart should invite the Target Execs to Bentonville so they could give them pointers on how to grow their brand. I can't understand why people are so anxious to come to the aid of a competitor.

Jek Tono Porkins

What other sec program has a "rivalry" with a sun belt school? Lsu plays Tulane but that is a tradition that has been going on for decades. Kentucky plays western Kentucky but they were the only team in the sec that was worse than us so that's probably not a good model to follow. Arkansas is small enough as it is, there simply isn't any reason to run the risk, however slight, of losing in-state support to asu. The risk/reward and cost/benefit factors are not in the hogs' favor. The only argument I hear is "why not?" That's not a good enough argument. I want to hear reasons why arkansas should play asu, not complaints about why they don't.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

HawgFan70

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 12, 2013, 11:23:27 pm
Why even give it a chance to happen? I guess Wal Mart should invite the Target Execs to Bentonville so they could give them pointers on how to grow their brand. I can't understand why people are so anxious to come to the aid of a competitor.

Your just throwing out extreme hypotheticals that make no sense. Im out of this discussion

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HawgFan70 on December 12, 2013, 11:32:47 pm
Your just throwing out extreme hypotheticals that make no sense. Im out of this discussion

No. It makes perfect sense to those who understand the competitive nature of business. You don't help a competitor grow their brand. Pretty simple.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have never seen so much debate over a football game. Play it, don't play it, who cares?

AState folks don't even care anymore.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 12, 2013, 11:45:24 pm
The charity donation isn't a ploy by ASU fans. Unless they've adopted my idea as their own.

Then I know some who have.

pitbull1

NO!! and put it to rest

Inhogswetrust

In the immortal words of the judge in  "A Few Good Men":

"HAVEN"T WE COVERED THIS?!"

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 12, 2013, 09:12:08 pm
oh wow that is a novel idea.

No kidding I'm surprised someone hasn't though of it before!

<sarcasm off>
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgFan70 on December 12, 2013, 11:32:47 pm

Hypotheticals are the basis for a lot of things.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: westside_player on December 12, 2013, 09:17:27 pm
Hogs would benefit. When Broyles thought of the policy it must have been in the 70's. Times have changed since then. But just barely

That shows you don't know history or care.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 12, 2013, 11:45:24 pm
The charity donation isn't a ploy by ASU fans. Unless they've adopted my idea as their own.

I believe it is an underhanded or subconscience ploy by those wanting the game to give a good reason for the game.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: westside_player on December 12, 2013, 09:17:27 pm
Hogs would benefit.

I can't believe I'm actually asking this and helping keep this dumb thread alive but How?

M L (bassplayer)

No thanks.

Two Socks

Most ASU fans have gotten past wanting this game.  Of course there are a few diehards rhat can't let it go.   We have teams like Miami and Missouri coming to Jtown now to play us.   I would much rather get a series going with Ole Miss.  They are closer and then there is the ex-coach factor.