Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 25, 2024, 05:30:04 pm

Professional Sports in Arkansas

Started by garagephilosopher, July 26, 2005, 10:35:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

garagephilosopher

Anyone have any info about this "rumor" of there being a professional/farm team sports stadium or complex in NWA.  I even heard through the grape vine months ago that David Glass had an interest in this area.  Have I dreamed this out my butt or is there some truth to this.  I think its time to bring pro-sports to this area.   

Broken Trigger

There has been talk of putting a minor league baseball facility here in NWA,  i am not sure what the latest is though.  As far a an actual pro team, we are many years away, if ever, from that happening.

Lando Calrissian

There isn't near enough "interest" to sustain a pro sports team (of any sort) in NW Ark yet.

It's an interesting proposition...not going to argue that, but for the people that would be in business with the thing (which all pro sports teams are a "business"), it'd be like selling cheeseburgers to vegetarians.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

garagephilosopher

You are correct Lando... as of now UofA sports are the only thing we have to cling to.  (May be something going on in Little Rock - Dont know dont care)  And there's just enough people to support that and the surrounding community businesses right now.  But we are expereincing major growing pains in Washington and Benton County.  Road and water systems are reaching capacity and NWA can't catch up.  I could see professional sports happening in 5-10 yrs down the road.  Businesses of all kinds are flooding in and not just retail and service industry.  There's some interesting stats in this link. 

http://www.rogerslowell.com/business/growth.htm

garagephilosopher

Guess it's just wishful thinking on my part.  I can still dream of professional sports.  That way I wouldnt have to drive to St Louis or Kansas City to take my kids to a ballgame.

Broken Trigger

Quote from: garagephilosopher on July 27, 2005, 09:05:47 am
Guess it's just wishful thinking on my part. I can still dream of professional sports. That way I wouldnt have to drive to St Louis or Kansas City to take my kids to a ballgame.

I think we are all guilty of doing a little wishful thinking about it.  I guess we will just wait and see how it pans out.