Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goal Line play calling

Started by HogShat, September 26, 2016, 07:48:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: JayBell on September 28, 2016, 01:30:48 pm
Someone said the 45-24 scoreline showed more than just Arkansas choking, but I disagree.  Arkansas just choked earlier and more often than usual against Texas A&M (and Mississippi State).  They're usually the better team for at least the first three quarters and then they choke in the fourth.

I don't know why those two particular teams have been such buggaboos for Bielema, but Saturday was no different.  Between Rawleigh's fumble and both Sprinkle and Cornelius getting inside the 5-yard line, Arkansas should have had a multi-touchdown lead throughout the game, even with Knight strolling past the defense.

Enos is such a better coach than Chaney.  That's not even up for debate.  But if there is any area in which Chaney was better, it was short-yardage playcalling.  A lingering problem for Arkansas, even with "the biggest offensive line in football," has been converting short yardage situations.  Chaney was far more creative in his playcalling inside the 5-yard line.

Rawleigh and Hatcher failed to convert on Enos' two best playcalls near the end zone, but it shouldn't have been that hard in the first place, IMO.

Raulerson has been playing with a sore ankle. Nobody can beat him out, even gimped. Odd.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

OLjunkie

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 28, 2016, 07:10:57 pm
Raulerson has been playing with a sore ankle. Nobody can beat him out, even gimped. Odd.

Game day is a hell of a drug.  He is holding is own at 90% and is only getting better with experience.

Sizzlean

A bootleg with pass option would have been better.

HardCore

Just poor situational play calling.  aTm puts 9 in the box, more players than we have blockers....somebody is going to get through to the backfield.  The Jet sweeps were not good plays b/c of that opportunity from the defense.  Run the option with Cantrell lead blocking...RWIII walks into the corner of the endzone (nobody was there...they were all in the box).
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

JayBell

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 28, 2016, 07:10:57 pmRaulerson has been playing with a sore ankle. Nobody can beat him out, even gimped. Odd.

People were so hypercritical of the offensive line after the game.  They really weren't bad at all.  There's a reason A&M's linemen made a point to find Wallace after the game and compliment him.  Allen got hit at times earlier in the game just because A&M is a pretty good defense.  His line had more trouble in the fourth quarter when they had to throw it and A&M could just unleash pressure.

I don't blame the offensive line at all for the goal line struggles.  They were just outnumbered.  They didn't get as much push as you'd want down there, but rarely do you just bull your way into the end zone.  The plays need to be designed well and the backs have to find the gaps.

When A&M loaded the box with 9 defenders, there were no gaps.  The two times there were gaps, Rawleigh and Hatcher both missed them.  But two good plays out of seven is a low mark.  Enos should have done better and I think he's the first one to say that.

ricepig

aTm only had 10 guys on the field on the 4th down sweep with Hatcher, he walks in if he cuts in and follows his blocks.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on September 28, 2016, 11:07:31 am
We just need to get in the endzone on the long gains instead of getting tackled at the 2yd line every time.  If you aren't getting in the endzone on the long run, just stop at the 7-8yd line to give us a chance to score.  If we get any closer than that the whole offense just gets into a large mass of human bodies and moves nowhere.
Isn't that equivalent to Tigerbait's theory of giving up the procedure penalty to move back to the 7?

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 28, 2016, 05:04:29 pm
It isn't all bad.

It isnt all good either though.  We need to get better.

ricepig

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on September 29, 2016, 04:21:12 pm
It isnt all good either though.  We need to get better.

There isn't a program that doesn't need to get better.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 29, 2016, 10:44:12 am
Isn't that equivalent to Tigerbait's theory of giving up the procedure penalty to move back to the 7?
I hate to be equivalent to Tigetbait...but actually, yes. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2016, 04:25:52 pm
There isn't a program that doesn't need to get better.

And there isn't a fan worth his salt that won't tell you exactly how it's done. LOL

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 05:00:14 pm
And there isn't a fan worth his salt that won't tell you exactly how it's done. LOL

Yep, score more, give up less while running a HUNH that punishes the other team with a ground and pound with 5 verticals.

HoopS

Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2016, 05:02:08 pm
Yep, score more, give up less while running a HUNH that punishes the other team with a ground and pound with 5 verticals.
disappointed you left out win the time of possession and onside kick after every score.

ricepig

Quote from: HoopS on September 29, 2016, 05:06:22 pm
disappointed you left out win the time of possession and onside kick after every score.

I can't think of everything.........I'm only one man.....

HoopS

Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2016, 05:17:51 pm

I can't think of everything.........I'm only one man.....
one man missing a "can do" attitude. Step it up. No excuses.

Cinco de Hogo

I'll help,

Two point conversion after every touchdown,
Punt return for td,
Kickoff return for td,
Interception return for td,
Fumble return for td,
Funny cards on sidelines,
Lots of dust(or mud)at all times,

Youngsta71701

After going back an looking at a replay of the game today. I will say this. The goal line play calling really wasn't as bad as I originally thought. I think it was a combination of the formations allowing for A&M to have all 11 men in the box and a combination of a few missed blocks and missed holes by the runners. I will still say that the blocking could have been a little bit better. The O-line got stood up and didn't get much movement on any of those plays.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

HoopS

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 06:28:10 pm
I'll help,

Two point conversion after every touchdown,
Punt return for td,
Kickoff return for td,
Interception return for td,
Fumble return for td,
Funny cards on sidelines,
Lots of dust(or mud)at all times,

excellence

Now *that* is somebody with a can do attitude.

Come on, rice. You're better than that. We will correct that in practice next week.

ricepig

Quote from: HoopS on September 29, 2016, 07:42:06 pm
excellence

Now *that* is somebody with a can do attitude.

Come on, rice. You're better than that. We will correct that in practice next week.

I'm studying film right now, coach.

Youngsta71701

Check out the play at the 52:37 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4H6kv8eTg

Looks like a nice play to me.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"