Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Started by ucahogfan, July 30, 2014, 10:46:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

We are just over 24 hours away from the trading deadline and although there isn't many moves that are likely to be made, we can still talk about what moves/potential moves that are/could be made.

I'll start off with this tweet I saw:

Robert Brender @robertbrender     ·   18h   

Bob Nightengale is reporting the Phillies asked the Dodgers for Joc Pederson, Corey Seager and Julio Urias in exchange for Cole Hamels.

There is a 0% chance of the Dodgers accepting that trade.  Pederson, Seager, and Urias are all top 20 prospects.  The Phillies would only get one of the three at best and I would think it would be Pederson or Seager considering Urias is a 17 year old LHP who has hit 95 with a hammer curve and is more advanced at this age than Clayton Kershaw.

TX HOG

ChicoHog

A's are going for it all this year.    Love to see a Dodger's-A's World Series again.   Hopefully same results as 1988!

jbell96

Smart trade by Boston. Cespedes is a stud at the plate, and Lester is most likely going to resign with Boston in the off season, so essentially this trade is Cespedes and a competitive balance pick for Gomes. A's definitely going all in, but if they don't win it all, this trade looks bad for them.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: jbell96 on July 31, 2014, 09:48:33 am
Smart trade by Boston. Cespedes is a stud at the plate, and Lester is most likely going to resign with Boston in the off season, so essentially this trade is Cespedes for Gomes. A's definitely going all in, but if they don't win it all, this trade looks bad for them.

A's weren't keeping Yo beyond '15. They have too many contracts and arbitration-eligible players coming up between '15 & '16.

This is definitely an 'all-in' move. It will hopefully keep the surging Angels out of 1st place, provide home field for the A's, and give them a nasty rotation that will finally help get them past the Tigers in the playoffs.

The A's aren't done either. They need to acquire another bat. Gomes was a clubhouse leader for the A's a couple years ago. They loved him. He's not Yo, but he has value in Oakland.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

yraciv

Quote from: jbell96 on July 31, 2014, 09:48:33 am
Smart trade by Boston. Cespedes is a stud at the plate, and Lester is most likely going to resign with Boston in the off season, so essentially this trade is Cespedes and a competitive balance pick for Gomes. A's definitely going all in, but if they don't win it all, this trade looks bad for them.

Agreed! I don't see Lester staying in Oakland, and it might open up some more playing time for Gentry.

HawgAdvocate

July 31, 2014, 09:57:05 am #6 Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:10:48 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: yraciv on July 31, 2014, 09:55:29 am
Agreed! I don't see Lester staying in Oakland, and it might open up some more playing time for Gentry.

With Crisp battling chronic neck issues, and Gentry sitting out with a broken hand (2 to 3 weeks), the A's should definitely be going after another OF. Once Gentry returns, he'll resume his platoon role.

Well...the A's just got Sam Fuld back. He was great for them early in the season before roster moves forced him to be released. Looks like a Gomes/Fuld platoon in LF.

Fuld hits .300 against righties, and Gomes hits .300 against lefties. Moneyball.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jbell96

Hot rumor of the moment is Cardinals getting John Lackey. He's under team control through 2015, and he is subject to a club option for the league minimum because he underwent Tommy John surgery. Probably going to send them Grichuk/Piscotty and a pitcher.

Horsesrus

clutch

Absolutely hate the Cards trade.

Horsesrus

I'm not crazy about it either.  I liked both Kelly and Craig.  Kelly was great down the stretch last year and Craig was arguably their best clutch hitter last year.  The question with him was it a one year mirage or is this poor season the mirage.

Horsesrus

Cardinals get $1.75 million and a Single A lefthander as well.  I wonder what Lackey is going to do next year making $500k.  I have to think he's going to squawk about re-negotiating a longer term deal or sulk all year at league minimum. That was a very interesting clause in his contract.  I wonder if others have similar and it just came out with him because it activated with his surgery.

mhuff

Quote from: Horsesrus on July 31, 2014, 12:41:27 pm
Cardinals get $1.75 million and a Single A lefthander as well.  I wonder what Lackey is going to do next year making $500k.  I have to think he's going to squawk about re-negotiating a longer term deal or sulk all year at league minimum. That was a very interesting clause in his contract.  I wonder if others have similar and it just came out with him because it activated with his surgery.

Good points

mhuff

July 31, 2014, 01:02:48 pm #13 Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:38:28 pm by mhuff
Quote from: jbell96 on July 31, 2014, 11:44:17 am
Hot rumor of the moment is Cardinals getting John Lackey. He's under team control through 2015, and he is subject to a club option for the league minimum because he underwent Tommy John surgery. Probably going to send them Grichuk/Piscotty and a pitcher.

What is your opinion of Grichuk? I like Piscotty and think he will be a great hitter. I think he had a fabulous spring.

I have to think the Cards knew something about Craig we didn't. Otherwise they would not have given up on him so quickly. ?  I can only say , "Thanks for the memories."

ucahogfan

Quote from: clutch on July 31, 2014, 12:26:50 pm
Absolutely hate the Cards trade.
I'm not a big fan of it either.  Lackey is probably a #3 starter at best on a postseason rotation and is on the back end of his career and Littrell might never throw an inning in the bigs.  Craig is a guy who is just having a down year, but is in the middle of his prime while Kelly is a hard throwing RHP and should be entering the prime of his career.

ucahogfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 31, 2014, 09:53:53 am
A's weren't keeping Yo beyond '15. They have too many contracts and arbitration-eligible players coming up between '15 & '16.

This is definitely an 'all-in' move. It will hopefully keep the surging Angels out of 1st place, provide home field for the A's, and give them a nasty rotation that will finally help get them past the Tigers in the playoffs.

The A's aren't done either. They need to acquire another bat. Gomes was a clubhouse leader for the A's a couple years ago. They loved him. He's not Yo, but he has value in Oakland.
I like this trade for both the Red Sox and the Athletics.  The Red Sox get an elite talent in Cespedes who hasn't really lived up to expectations yet playing in the O.Co and out on the West Coast.  He could see a big jump in production playing in Boston.  The Red Sox also get a draft pick which adds to their bonus pool.

The Athletics get the postseason ace they need.  Lester has been money in the postseason in his career and will give them a deep staff with Shark, Gray, and Kazmir as well.  This is a definite all-in move by Billy Beane which is much different from what he normally does.

jbell96

Since Michael Wacha went down with an injury, the Cardinals are DEAD LAST in innings pitched by starting pitchers. Last night, Kelly got knocked around by the Padres. The worst offensive team in MLB and he barely made it through 5 innings and allowed 4 runs. Craig is hitting .133 this month & has struggled all season. Lackey was Boston's #2 starter and having a good season fresh off Tommy John surgery. Also, Taveras can't have his at bats yanked around by Matheny anymore and we can find out what we have with him.

I am going to miss Craig & Kelly, both have provided some awesome memories, but this is a performance based business, and they haven't been performing.

ucahogfan

The Red Sox fire sale continues as Felix Dubront is heading to the North Side for a PTBNL who won't be a high level prospect.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11286916/felix-doubront-traded-chicago-cubs-boston-red-sox

McKdaddy

Quote from: jbell96 on July 31, 2014, 01:41:18 pm
Taveras can't have his at bats yanked around by Matheny anymore and we can find out what we have with him.

This
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

mhuff

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 31, 2014, 01:37:10 pm
I'm not a big fan of it either.  Lackey is probably a #3 starter at best on a postseason rotation and is on the back end of his career and Littrell might never throw an inning in the bigs.  Craig is a guy who is just having a down year, but is in the middle of his prime while Kelly is a hard throwing RHP and should be entering the prime of his career.

Still, our SP has not been going the distance. If you can't go deep enough, you probably won't be a SP long.

jbell96

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 31, 2014, 01:37:10 pm

I can see your side of it, but like I said in my previous post, we are dead last in starter's IP since Wacha got hurt. If he gets healthy, we have a rotation of Waino, Wacha, Lackey, Lynn, & Masterson. That is better than what we had two days ago. Two days ago it was Waino, Lynn, Miller, Kelly, and who knows.

If Lackey honors his deal next year, I'm skeptical, this deal is great for the Cards.

ucahogfan

Gerardo Parra is heading to Milwaukee in exchange for one of the Brewers top prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/trade-central-brewers-diamondbacks/

ucahogfan

Word is spreading that Price won't be a Ray come 3 PM CST.  The three trade partners for Price being spread are the Tigers, Cardinals, and Mariners.  The clubhouse favorite to land Price is the Tigers, but I just don't see them having the players to land him with a weak farm.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jbell96 on July 31, 2014, 02:03:28 pm
I can see your side of it, but like I said in my previous post, we are dead last in starter's IP since Wacha got hurt. If he gets healthy, we have a rotation of Waino, Wacha, Lackey, Lynn, & Masterson. That is better than what we had two days ago. Two days ago it was Waino, Lynn, Miller, Kelly, and who knows.

If Lackey honors his deal next year, I'm skeptical, this deal is great for the Cards.
I do think Wacha could be that #2 in the postseason, but it just seems like the Cards gave up way too much for a John Lackey type of pitcher.  I understand the need to get inning eaters, but at what cost?

And I have seen a report that Lackey intends to honor his deal for next year.

ucahogfan

The Red Sox trade their fourth pitcher of the day.  This time it is LHP Andrew Miller to the Baltimore Orioles.  The Braves were thought to be the favorite to land Miller as they want a LHR, but the price was too high.  It cost the Orioles their 3rd best prospect in LHP Eduardo Rodriguez who is a borderline top 100 prospect.  The Red Sox have done an excellent job this year and I think might wind up being the winners of the trading deadline.

ucahogfan

The Indians have traded Asdrubal Cabrera to the Nats for INF Zach Walters.  Walters is a top 15 prospect in the Nationals system according to BA.  The word is that Cabrera will play 2B and Rendon will play 3B.

ucahogfan

Joel Sherman @Joelsherman1     ·   19m   

In Peavy/Millers deals, #Redsox have augmented already powerful farm system, can be players for any star in trade market #giancarlo?

ucahogfan

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal     ·   1h   

#Mariners get Denorfia from #Padres for Almonte and a minor-league pitcher.

ucahogfan

The unthinkable has happened.  The Red Sox have continued their fire sale and send SS Stephen Drew to the Yankees.  Have seen something on Twitter that the Yankees are sending Kelly Johnson in return.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me from the Red Sox perspective.

Also, word is that David Price is now a Tiger.  Will again post the details when I find out.

jbell96

What does Detroit have to offer them?

ucahogfan

Quote from: jbell96 on July 31, 2014, 02:54:56 pm
What does Detroit have to offer them?
Has to be someone on their 25 man roster.  The Tigers might have the worst farm system in the majors.  Word is that it is a 3 team trade with the Mariners as well.  Also, the Rays are only giving up Price from what I have heard.

Austin Jackson and Drew Smyly are rumored to be in the deal.  Nick Franklin from the Mariners is being rumored to the Rays as well.  Jackson just got pulled from the Tigers game.

My guess is that Jackson plus some others are heading to Seattle.  David Price is heading to Detroit.  Smyly, Franklin, and some others are heading to Tampa.

ucahogfan

Also have seen that #8 prospect Taijuan Walker of the Mariners is heading to the Rays, although that is currently unconfirmed.  Still expect more pieces to be revealed.

No extension talks between Price and the Tigers before the trade according to Ken Rosenthal.

lefty08

Ausrin jackson and ex hog drew smiley to the mariners, franklin to the rays and price to the tigers
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ucahogfan

Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS     ·   11s   

mariners got austin jackson and send franklin to tampa. thats all of seattle's involvement.

Still think that there is a 0% chance that all Tampa gets for Price is Smyly and Franklin.  Tampa is too smart of an organization for that to happen.

ucahogfan

The DBacks are sending Martin Prado to the Yankees.  Prado was a big piece in the Justin Upton trade with Atlanta.  Still haven't seen the return.  Drew will play 2B while Prado could play multiple positions.

jbell96

Four-player deal confirmed: David Price to Tigers, Austin Jackson to Mariners, Nick Franklin and Drew Smyly to Rays. No other prospects.

WOW. Detroit gave up their starting CF & a back of the rotation starter to land an ace pitcher. That is some serious BS.

EDIT: Tampa also getting Detroit's top prospect Willy Adames so that makes much more sense.

ucahogfan

My Trade Deadline Winners
Boston Red Sox - The Red Sox had an extremely busy day trading away their pitchers and Stephen Drew.  In return, they get Yoenis Cespedes who should see a power bump playing in Fenway, Allen Craig who has been a pretty much .300 career hitter, Joe Kelly who could be a middle of the rotation starter, a comp B round pick which should be about 800K or so in more bonus pool money, and two young talented LHPs to add to a very deep farm system.  They have the prospects to make a big trade this offseason for a Giancarlo Stanton type if they want to make that move.

Oakland Athletics - They needed that ace in postseason play and got one in Jon Lester.  They now have a very deep rotation who can carry them to a WS ring.  It might be the best 1-5 rotation in the bigs right now.  Sure, they had to give up Cespedes, but he was around a .305 OBP type guy.

Detriot Tigers - They now have the last 3 AL Cy Young winners on their staff and the 2013 AL ERA champ.  That is the best 1-4 group in the bigs if Verlander is half as good as he has been in the past.

My Trade Deadline Losers
Tampa Bay Rays - You trade away 1.5 years of David Price for what?  Drew Smyly who is a #3 type starter at best right now.  Nick Franklin who couldn't break into the Mariners lineup at SS.  A young SS prospect from the Tigers who isn't a top 100 prospect.  That is a horrible return for a player like Price when considering what other teams got for their top pitchers.

Philadelphia Phillies - Can a team that didn't make a trade be considered a loser?  The Phillies had a ton of players that could have been flipped for prospects in Lee, Hamels, Papelbon, Byrd, and Utley, but they wanted too much in return.  For a team that is no where close to being in contention, they should have flipped their old guys for prospects to compete in a young NL East in the future.  Not making trades could now mean they aren't competitive for a long time against young teams like the Nats and Braves and an up and coming Marlins team.

ucahogfan

The Yankees send Peter O'Brien and either cash or a PTBNL to the DBacks in exchange for Martin Prado.  O'Brien is the Yankees 9th best prospect according to MLB.com and has hit 33 HRs this year which I think is 3rd in the minors behind two top 10 prospects in Joey Gallo and Kris Bryant.

ucahogfan

The Astros and Marlins have completed a trade with young, hard throwing RHP Jarred Cosart as the cornerstone of the deal.

Houston Receives
Colin Moran - #6 overall pick in 2013, #72 overall prospect according to MLB.com
Jake Marisnick
Frances Martes
2015 Competitive Balance Pick Round A

Miami Receives
Jarred Cosart
Keke Hernandez
Austin Wates

ucahogfan

Emilio Bonfacio and James Russell and cash are heading to the Braves in exchange for the Braves #7 prospect Victor Caratini.  I love this trade from the Braves standpoint.  We get the LH reliever we need in Russell and add a very good utility player who has done extremely well against LHP this year in Bonafacio for an ok prospect in Caratini.

ucahogfan

Honestly, I think the Red Sox got a better package for John Lackey than the Rays did for David Price.  Something is wrong with that.

ucahogfan

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36     ·   46m   

Peter O'Brien doesn't have a position, but worth a flier....Massive power, high risk, possible high reward.

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36     ·   37m   

Wily Adames does add significant piece to Price deal. Was Tigers No. 5 prospect in the Midseason Prospect Update.

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36     ·   35m   

We had Marisnick No. 2 and Moran No. 3 in Marlins Top 10 for Midseason Prospect Update

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36     ·   27m   

Very nice pickup for Cubs. Caratini is a solid catching prospect. Was the one position lacking among Cubs' position prospects.

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36     ·   27m   

Victor Caratini was the Braves No. 6 prospect on Braves Top 10 in the Midseason Prospect Upate.

ucahogfan

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36     ·   31m   

Got like that haul for Astros....esp the comp pick being included in it. Astros could be the Goliath of  the 2015 draft money-wise

If the Astros do indeed have the top 2 overall picks in 2015, they could have a 20M+ bonus pool.  The 1st overall pick next year should be over 8M and the 2nd overall pick next year should be in the 7M neighborhood or more.  That would be at least 15M right now.  The comp balance pick they got last year will have about a 1.6M slot or more.  That is close to 17M without factoring in any other pick.

yraciv

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 31, 2014, 04:02:14 pm
Emilio Bonfacio and James Russell and cash are heading to the Braves in exchange for the Braves #7 prospect Victor Caratini.  I love this trade from the Braves standpoint.  We get the LH reliever we need in Russell and add a very good utility player who has done extremely well against LHP this year in Bonafacio for an ok prospect in Caratini.

Yeah and Caranti was 2 years at least from getting to the majors and blocked by Gattis & Bettencourt. I said I wanted a utility guy and left handed relief help and that is exactly what we got.  Love this trade!  But is going to make things tough on me for Cubs games the rest of the year, used to it though living in Chicago.

mhuff

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 31, 2014, 04:03:59 pm
Honestly, I think the Red Sox got a better package for John Lackey than the Rays did for David Price.  Something is wrong with that.

According to StL writers, it was about timing. Lackey was traded a couple of hours before Price.

ucahogfan

Quote from: yraciv on July 31, 2014, 05:06:07 pm
Yeah and Caranti was 2 years at least from getting to the majors and blocked by Gattis & Bettencourt. I said I wanted a utility guy and left handed relief help and that is exactly what we got.  Love this trade!  But is going to make things tough on me for Cubs games the rest of the year, used to it though living in Chicago.
Yeah, we give up a guy who was blocked by one of the top catching prospects in baseball for two team needs.  Have to give it to Wren on this trade.

ucahogfan

Quote from: mhuff on July 31, 2014, 09:58:22 pm
According to StL writers, it was about timing. Lackey was traded a couple of hours before Price.
Timing shouldn't matter though.  Price won't be a free agent until after 2015.  The Tigers got a legit MLB ace for 1.5 years or more in exchange for Austin Jackson, Drew Smyly, and a solid prospect.  Dave Dombrowski must feel like he just robbed the Rays.

clutch

The Tigers/A's series is going to be a good one this fall if it happens. Talk about 2 extremely strong rotations. Just think about the 1-4 for Detroit, Price, Scherzer, Verlander, Sanchez. That's pretty sick. The A's are just about as tough though.

gutshot

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 31, 2014, 10:06:27 pm
Yeah, we give up a guy who was blocked by one of the top catching prospects in baseball for two team needs.  Have to give it to Wren on this trade.

Caratini's best position is "Batter."  He's a loggerhead at 3rd base and average behind the plate.  The Braves position player pool is thin in the minors, and VC was one of the better pure hitters in the system, but this will not hurt them in the long run.  A man without a position...let's just hope Russell can get his reverse splits ironed out. 

gutshot

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 31, 2014, 03:58:05 pm
The Astros and Marlins have completed a trade with young, hard throwing RHP Jarred Cosart as the cornerstone of the deal.

Houston Receives
Colin Moran - #6 overall pick in 2013, #72 overall prospect according to MLB.com
Jake Marisnick
Frances Martes
2015 Competitive Balance Pick Round A

Miami Receives
Jarred Cosart
Keke Hernandez
Austin Wates

Loved this deal for the Astros.  Moran was dang near their #1 overall pick a couple of years ago and Marisnick has enough talent to be a strong player.  That's a pretty nice score for Houston.