Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Atlanta Braves 2013

Started by bsking, February 04, 2013, 03:27:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirForceHog

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 19, 2013, 09:34:34 pm
Well, it looks like we will be on the market for a LHP setup guy with both Venters and O'Flaherty needing TJ.  Plus, Walden is on the DL.  Who would have thought our top 3 setup guys would be down at the same time?

I'm pretty worried about this. The good thing is Beachy will be back soon and that means on of the starters will be pulled and put in the relief rotation.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

HROHog

I did read that they promoted Cory Rasmus ( younger brother of Cody ) from Triple A. He has great stats ( .93 ERA and 7 for 7 in save chances ) but no experience in the majors.

AirForceHog

Yeah I read that today. I hope he is a surprise for the Braves.

gutshot

What worries me most about the bullpen is the increased workload of Gearrin and Avilan.  They are performing well now, but Fredi tends to lean heavily on one or two guys like Bobby did.  If they are going to stick with a 6 man staff, that's fine.  With Carpenter getting used like the white crayon, it was practically a 6 man unit anyway.  But Varvaro needs to be a more of a back end guy rather than the only multi-inning option. 

Walden and Martinez really need to come back healthy.  Might even consider easing Beachy back in a early 2012 Medlen-like role until a spot in the rotation opens up. I would have a hard time demoting Teheran at this point, when he is finally building some confidence and finding his groove.  These things always tend to work themselves out through injuries, trades, or whatever, so I'm anxious to see how it turns out. 

Baseball Hog

I think we have to go get a lefty before the deadline, man I can't believe I'm saying that.

HROHog

QuoteI think we have to go get a lefty before the deadline

Couldn't agree more. Assuming Beachy is called up as a starter, no way Minor loses his SP role, and to the best of my knowledge Maholm has never pitched out of the pen. That leaves us with Avilan as the lone lefty setup man.

HROHog

I didn't catch his name, but the Braves have brought up a lefty from double A.

ucahogfan

Quote from: HROHog on May 30, 2013, 03:55:03 pm
I didn't catch his name, but the Braves have brought up a lefty from double A.
It was Alex Wood.  Our 2nd round pick in 2012 out of the University of Georgia.  Could be our solution in the pen as he can run it up into the mid 90s with a solid change.

bulldog04

Juan Francisco designated for assignment

HROHog

QuoteIt was Alex Wood.  Our 2nd round pick in 2012 out of the University of Georgia.  Could be our solution in the pen as he can run it up into the mid 90s with a solid change.

Thanks. I noticed he had a successful debut tonight.

ucahogfan

7 game lead right now and 3 our of big time hitters are still below the Mendoza line.  Just imagine what will happen when they turn it around.

gutshot

This is the Julio Teheran we've been waiting for, folks. Masterful.

AirForceHog

ucahogfan

So who does Beachy replace when he returns?  I say Malholm, but Huddy has been our worst starter.

We are still 7.5 games up on Washington and are one of the top 3-4 teams in the MLB even with BJ and Uggla batting below the Mendoza line and our top 2 bullpen guys out.  If Uggla and Upton turn it on, we might win the division by 20 games or more.

gutshot

Washington will make a run, I have no doubt. 

I honestly don't know what to do with the Beachy situation.  I don't want to see Frank trade ANY of them. Neither Hudson nor Maholm seem like bullpen-types, and they really aren't pitching badly.  Even though Hudson had a rough stretch he's turning it around: 1.57 ERA, 0.80 WHIP, and a .182/.221/.242/.464 opponents line in 4 June starts. 

Again, I don't know how they should go about this...Somebody is going to be upset about it, though.  Medlen has already expressed his opinion. 

Baseball Hog

The only easy fix is trading Maholm.

pigture perfect

What would you expect to get for Maholm? If he doesn't have much left on his contract it might be more beneficial to just release him. If not, The Crds are looking to get some middle relief at the deadline.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

gutshot

Releasing him has zero benefit, whereas a trade could bring something...a reliever, a prospect, a warm body. Anything. But what if Beachy has another setback? You're left with Alex Wood who might not be ready to be a full time ML starter just yet. I just hate letting go of a quality starter unless it means getting a shut down reliever back. Still gun-shy on the whole starting pitcher depth I guess. Jo Jo Reyes and Chuck James will do that to you.

ucahogfan

About 3 months into the season and we have a larger lead in our division than the Red Sox have on the last place Rays.  With the Blue Jays on an absolute tear, the AL East is finally living up to its billing as an absolutely nasty division.

ucahogfan

Anyone else think San Fran having 4 All Stars is terrible while we only had 3, one of which was the Final Vote winner and got injured and was replaced by another Brave to give us 3.  If anything, it shows that Freddie should be a lock to win the NL Manager of the Year because we have a 6 game lead in the division and our offense hasn't even played to half of its potential yet as well as dealing with a lot of injuries.

gutshot

Most heartbreaking win you can imagine, if that makes any sense. What a disheartening sight watching that tough-ass ol' warrior leaving the field on a dang cart.

McKdaddy

Quote from: gutshot on July 24, 2013, 10:02:19 pm
Most heartbreaking win you can imagine, if that makes any sense. What a disheartening sight watching that tough-ass ol' warrior leaving the field on a dang cart.

I hated that for him. I've been a fan of his from his rookie year in OAK, and enjoyed watching him pitch all these years.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ucahogfan

So with Huddy done for the year, what is the plan now?  Do we make a run for Peavey or let our young guys fill the role?  If anything, Freddi should be a lock for NL Manager of the Year (well, Clint Hurdle as well) for all of the injuries he has dealt with this year and the huge lead we currently have in the East and could go more if our offense truly clicks.

gutshot

Man I don't know.  I would kind of like to have some sort of proven veteran horse to run out there in the playoffs against the Adam Wainwrights, Clayton Kershaws, and AJ Burnetts of the world. Peavy may or may not be the answer...I don't know.  He's had trouble staying on the field.  I don't think Bud Norris is that guy, personally. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: gutshot on July 26, 2013, 07:36:15 am
Man I don't know.  I would kind of like to have some sort of proven veteran horse to run out there in the playoffs against the Adam Wainwrights, Clayton Kershaws, and AJ Burnetts of the world. Peavy may or may not be the answer...I don't know.  He's had trouble staying on the field.  I don't think Bud Norris is that guy, personally.
So would I.  Peavy has shown he can be great proven he is healthy and we might not have to give up a lot if we take on most to all of his remaining salary.  He would be that Game 1 guy who could challenge the top pitchers.  Completely agree Norris isn't the guy.  He doesn't have the experience to be a Game 1 starter and the Astros will expect a much larger haul for him prospect wise because of his situation with team control and affordable salary.

AirForceHog

Beachy will take his spot in the rotation starting against the Rockies.

Baseball Hog

Gotta love beating down the redbirds.

#infieldfly

HROHog

Finally some good news. Braves just acquired Scott Downs, adding a quality left hander to the bullpen. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: HROHog on July 29, 2013, 11:43:29 am
Finally some good news. Braves just acquired Scott Downs, adding a quality left hander to the bullpen.
Very solid add.  Gave up Cory Rasmus to get him.  Downs and Avilan give us a solid 1-2 punch of setup LHPs.  We might not have to make another move.

ucahogfan

Solid 5 game winning streak right now to build our division lead to double digits.  Also, congrats to Alex Wood for his first major league win and hope there is many more for him in a Braves uni.

gutshot

They're playing like a true World Series contender right now. They swept the Cardinals but they obliterated the Rockies. Big fun at the Ted this week.

AirForceHog

ucahogfan

Quote from: gutshot on August 01, 2013, 09:53:02 pm
They're playing like a true World Series contender right now. They swept the Cardinals but they obliterated the Rockies. Big fun at the Ted this week.
If you listen to the experts, we are doomed and the Nats are going to come back although if we just play .500 ball for the rest of the year, the Nats have to go like 39-15 to win the division.

Our lineup is just scary good when it is clicking.  I remember the only spot we were worried about before the season began was Chris Johnson at the hot corner yet he is leading the NL in BA and is normally down at 5, 6, or 7 in our lineup.  BJ Upton might be benched in favor of Gattis when he gets back healthy.

Our staff has been very good as well.  Minor has acted like an ace lately.  Teheran is getting better.  Medlen is about to kick it into gear.  Beachy will get re adjusted.  Malholm/Wood make for a solid 5 starter.  Plus, our pen is beyond filthy.  Who else could lose 2 premier LHP relievers to TJ and have the type of pen we do?  Adding Downs to the pen will help us out a whole lot.  And Kimbrel in the 9th just isn't fair right now.

AirForceHog

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 02, 2013, 09:40:37 am
If you listen to the experts, we are doomed and the Nats are going to come back although if we just play .500 ball for the rest of the year, the Nats have to go like 39-15 to win the division.

Our lineup is just scary good when it is clicking.  I remember the only spot we were worried about before the season began was Chris Johnson at the hot corner yet he is leading the NL in BA and is normally down at 5, 6, or 7 in our lineup.  BJ Upton might be benched in favor of Gattis when he gets back healthy.

Our staff has been very good as well.  Minor has acted like an ace lately.  Teheran is getting better.  Medlen is about to kick it into gear.  Beachy will get re adjusted.  Malholm/Wood make for a solid 5 starter.  Plus, our pen is beyond filthy.  Who else could lose 2 premier LHP relievers to TJ and have the type of pen we do?  Adding Downs to the pen will help us out a whole lot.  And Kimbrel in the 9th just isn't fair right now.

You are right on point with your analysis. This team will be great down the stretch. Just hope it carries over to the playoffs.

ucahogfan

Quote from: AirForceHog on August 02, 2013, 08:31:57 pm
You are right on point with your analysis. This team will be great down the stretch. Just hope it carries over to the playoffs.
So do I.  One thing about our offense is that we are going to strike out and strike out a whole lot.  It is the way Wren and Gonzalez built this team, but it is working.  We also do a great job of getting on base and are behind only the Cards in the NL in that category as well as scoring runs.

We also have the pitching to go a long way, but losing Huddy hurts a lot as we don't have that veteran who has been to multiple postseasons to take the hill.

ucahogfan

Well, these past 10 days have been fun.  If Uggla and BJ turn it on, there is no weak spot on this team.  Really like keeping J-Hey and Justin in the top 2 spots in the lineup.

With Malholm coming back soon, what should the plan be?  A 6 man rotation or keep Malholm/someone else as the long reliever?

AirForceHog

Thats a tough one. I think a 6 man rotation may be best. If they don't I would maybe move Beachy to a long reliever role for now. The pitching staff is doing fantastic.

AirForceHog

I wonder if Kimbrel is getting bored. haha

ucahogfan

Quote from: AirForceHog on August 04, 2013, 10:57:05 pm
I wonder if Kimbrel is getting bored. haha
Probably.  He has just been unreal.  In his last 30 IP (since May 7 which was his last blown save), he has only allowed 1 ER which was July 4 against Miami in a non-save situation.  It seems like he gets better as the year moves along so far in his career.

ucahogfan

Well, 11 is very nice.  Looks like Justin and J-Hey have found their permanent new homes at the top of the lineup.  That is scary because both have legit power, but sacrifice very little if any speed to the other options on the team.

With the division lead now at 13.5 games, winning at least one of the next 2 against the Nats would be the knock out blow.  Heck, the Nats are closer to the Marlins in the standings than they are to us.

OnTheHillHogFan

Batting your best hitter in the 2 hole has become the newest thing the stat gurus are pushing for.

BTW Keith Law made the comment on twitter the other day about loving the fact that J-Hey is the leadoff guy.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

ucahogfan

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on August 05, 2013, 10:23:38 pm
BTW Keith Law made the comment on twitter the other day about loving the fact that J-Hey is the leadoff guy.
Who wouldn't love J-Hey at leadoff?  He is a 6-5, 240 monster that is a true 5 tool player.  He looks more like an All-Pro TE than a leadoff hitter.  He can really run and forces the pitcher to work hard to get him out because he will send mistake pitches 400+ feet unlike other leadoff hitters.

The Sunday Night Baseball crew also loves what Freddie has done moving J-Hey and Justin to the 1 and 2 because of the power threat they bring and they are also 20+ SB type guys.  If they both keep getting on base at the over .400 clip they have since the change has been made, Freddie Freeman might win the MVP with all the runs he will drive in with his approach to get the runner in this year instead of trying to drive himself in in those situations.

AirForceHog

13.5 game lead and on an 11 game win streak. This is why we chop. I love it. Especially after Bryce Harpers comments about the Braves leading the division.

ucahogfan

Who would have thought our pen would be by far the best in the MLB after losing Venters and O'Flaherty?  This team is awesome and Freddie G is doing an amazing job of managing this year.

ucahogfan

Well 12 in a row to expand the division lead to 14.5 games sure is nice.

AirForceHog

I read that the two teams twitter feed took jabs at each other. The Braves twitter calling out Bryce Harper saying "clown move bro"

AirForceHog

And that is lucky number 13!

gutshot

You have to believe this series buried the Nats, right?

It's good to see the Braves owning the competition away for Turner Field for a change. This is fun!

AirForceHog

I do believe that this series was huge for the Braves. No just stay the course and win each series and coast right in.

AirForceHog