Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bama defenders on Cole Kelley last year

Started by JIHawg, March 08, 2018, 11:05:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

From the Montgomery Advertiser:  Bama defenders didn't have a lot of fun trying to take down Cole Kelley last year.  Kelley started for Austin Allen.  Bama backer Shaun Dion Hamilton said it took a team effort to come up with five sacks on Kelley.  "He's the biggest qb I've ever seen," Hamilton said.  He was definitely tough.  One guy could have a hand on him, but he could still throw the ball away.

We just needed as many people as possible to get him down to the ground. 

I don't recall Bama ever bragging on one of our qbs before.  That's about as much respect as one can get.  If he could become an accurate passer who could find the open receiver, we might have something special.

HogJowler

The moral to this story is to improve the OL and keep hands off all our QBs.

Can't sign talent if you don't get it on campus

Can't take down our QB's if you don't get your hands on them

Science

redleg

I think the O-Line will be improved this year. They are slimming down, which is easier to do than bulk up muscle-wise, and will hopefully be better suited for the new offensive scheme. The lines problem over the last two seasons was, they were built for a smash-mouth pro-style offense, but that offense ended up being closer to a spread. That version of these linemen were not built for that, hence they got beat...a lot!

I would look for an O-Line that averages around 300 lbs. Brian Wallace, Johnny Gibson, and Jalen Merrick (all three are over 330 lbs) are going to have the toughest time losing weight.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

MultipleScoreGasms

They still beat us 41-9, so it couldn't have been that difficult.   :o

jgphillips3

The O-line will look a lot better this year.  Last year we had bodies and skill sets built for the spread trying to play power as if they were still the 340 pound bruisers from 2014.  Really talented defenses will be a problem while we install this offense over the next two years but the personnel and the scheme will fit much, much better.

sickboy

Well, it makes sense that the only thing that would impress an Alabama defender is playing against a literal giant.

kodiakisland

Quote from: JIHawg on March 08, 2018, 11:05:23 am
From the Montgomery Advertiser:  Bama defenders didn't have a lot of fun trying to take down Cole Kelley last year.  Kelley started for Austin Allen.  Bama backer Shaun Dion Hamilton said it took a team effort to come up with five sacks on Kelley.  "He's the biggest qb I've ever seen," Hamilton said.  He was definitely tough.  One guy could have a hand on him, but he could still throw the ball away.

We just needed as many people as possible to get him down to the ground. 

I don't recall Bama ever bragging on one of our qbs before.  That's about as much respect as one can get.  If he could become an accurate passer who could find the open receiver, we might have something special.

They were trying to find something nice about a team they annihilated.  Sabans pretty good about that too.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 08, 2018, 03:07:51 pm
The O-line will look a lot better this year.  Last year we had bodies and skill sets built for the spread trying to play power as if they were still the 340 pound bruisers from 2014.  Really talented defenses will be a problem while we install this offense over the next two years but the personnel and the scheme will fit much, much better.
Well, even before the season started we lost our top RB and Lost AA for the Bama game. Also, throw in some lost defenders and we were short handed most of the season.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.