Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC looks to put 3 in Elite 8

Started by Hogs49ers, March 24, 2017, 10:44:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs49ers

This is crazy, but extremely good for the SEC going forward.  If we put 3 in the Elite 8 this year, we are looking to start putting 6-8 teams in the NCAA tourney with how young the entire SEC is right now. 
SCREW Vandy!

40MINSOFHELL

Arkansas is out, I quit watching but that's good for the SEC.

WorfHog

F the SEC. Conference does nothing but boost UK and Florida and the EXPENSE of every other team.

XavierZane

Might have been four if the officials hadn't played their game. 

Hogs49ers

Quote from: XavierZane on March 24, 2017, 10:49:59 pm

Completely agree, I honestly think we would have beaten Butler in Memphis by 8-10 pts, that would of been damn near a home game and that place would of been rockin'...I get sad just thinking about what could have been...
SCREW Vandy!

HardCore

Quote from: XavierZane on March 24, 2017, 10:49:59 pm

Thank you NCAA for your NC Man Love.  We would have been the fourth.  I get so sick of that Duke/NC love affair they get from the NCAA.  Screw them!
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Hawg Red

SEC will be very hot going into next season. 3 Elite 8 teams (should have been 4), top 2 recruit going to Missouri, big recruiting class for Bama, Robert Williams back for A&M, Mississippi St returning a lot of talent. Maybe one of the 3 left wins it all. Conference really showed up in March.

I'm still not over last weekend. It still hurts. We would have rolled Butler tonight. Kentucky and Arkansas playing for the Final 4 in as close to a home game as we can get this time of year? Man....why? Why did they have to take that from us?

KentuckyFan

Florida has just pissed down their legs.

Danny J

Can't believe they didn't foul...

Hogz87

Wisky started playing the foul game down 10 with about two minutes to left and it paid off.  I mean, sure, they needed a miraculously improbable shot to do it, but they came back and forced OT. 

azhog10

Quote from: Danny J on March 24, 2017, 11:29:39 pm
Can't believe they didn't foul...
Told my wife the same thing. I said no way I wouldn't foul here. Then I read Mike Whites lips and he said "no threes". I said nope he's not gonna foul. Then they hit the three.

Jackrabbit Hog

Choke job by Florida.  Very similar to our last 2 minutes adainst UNC.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TebowHater

Mike White with the most atrocious coaching job of the year there at the end. Blew 8 point lead in last minute. Took out Kevaughn Allen for "defensive purposes" and lost all ability on offense. His defense isn't that much of a liability to take your best player and FT shooter out. Then they didn't foul up 3. What an idiot

Pancetta

Wisconsin has gotten away with several fouls late or they never would have tied it up.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

ronmahony

Florida screwed up letting Wisconsin back in it. Seems like the Badgers get in this kind of game every year.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Danny J

Wisky gonna win...when White went conservative he took away their rhythm and now Wisky has all the momentum...

RaisinHog

I dosed off what the hell happened

Danny J

Quote from: Danny J on March 24, 2017, 11:39:52 pm
Wisky gonna win...when White went conservative he took away their rhythm and now Wisky has all the momentum...
Yep...UF cold thanks to White going into "protect the lead" mode. What a terrible display of late game coaching

Pancetta

Good lord Wisconsin bigs just shove people to the ground on the offensive and defensive end and don't get called. I don't know if this has been going on all game but it's definitely been going on for the last five of regulation and overtime.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

LR_Matt

Quote from: WorfHog on March 24, 2017, 10:46:09 pm
F the SEC. Conference does nothing but boost UK and Florida and the EXPENSE of every other team.
Maybe the other teams should get better.... there's a thought.

Danny J

Danny J

Danny J

ronmahony

"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Danny J

Glad I stayed up for that...bedtime I have 8 acres to mow in the morning

Hogs49ers

SCREW Vandy!

Hogz87

Well, good for Florida.  Wisconsin made a fluky, semi-miraculous, running, off-balance three to force OT and Florida made a fluky, semi-miraculous, running, off-balance three to win the game.

XavierZane

SEC better start getting the respect it deserves in basketball. 

Hogz87

3/8ths of the Elite Eight is comprised of teams from the "crappy" SEC. 

Hogz87

And a fourth SEC team gave a 1-seed the scare of their season in the second round.

RazorPiggie

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 24, 2017, 11:24:50 pm
SEC will be very hot going into next season. 3 Elite 8 teams (should have been 4), top 2 recruit going to Missouri, big recruiting class for Bama, Robert Williams back for A&M, Mississippi St returning a lot of talent. Maybe one of the 3 left wins it all. Conference really showed up in March.

I'm still not over last weekend. It still hurts. We would have rolled Butler tonight. Kentucky and Arkansas playing for the Final 4 in as close to a home game as we can get this time of year? Man....why? Why did they have to take that from us?

I'm still thinking.  Did we actually lose that game?

TebowHater

SEC first conference to be guaranteed a team in the Final Four.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 24, 2017, 11:59:36 pm
I'm still thinking.  Did we actually lose that game?

We beat UNC, lost to the refs.

Hogz87

The SEC probably was pretty mediocre to awful after our top 4-5 teams.  Vandy is a mystery.  They looked phenomenal at times this year.  They went 3-0 against Florida, blew us out at BWA, and were an epic chokejob away from going 2-1 against us.  So yeah, they're still a pretty dang good team.  Regardless, this NCAA tournament has more than proven that the SEC's four best teams this year (Kentucky, Florida, Arkansas, South Carolina) were MUCH better than anyone wanted to give them credit for; especially South Carolina and Arkansas and I feel like Florida might've been a little under seeded as a 4-seed.

On another note, I still can't figure out how Wisconsin got an 8-seed.  That has to be one of the worst under-seedings of the last decade.  Wisconsin finished second in the Big 10, ahead of Maryland, Minnesota, and Michigan who finished 3rd-5th.  Wisconsin went 1-0 against Maryland, 2-0 against Minnesota, and 1-2 against Michigan.  Yet, Minnesota got a 5-seed, Maryland got a 6-seed, and Michigan got a 7-seed while Wisconsin got an 8-seed.  Wisconsin also made the Big 10 championship game before losing to a red hot Michigan team.     

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 25, 2017, 12:02:47 am

True that's why it's confusing to think back - we only made the round of 32, technically.  This team really made a sweet 16- final 4.

azhog10

Quote from: Hogz87 on March 25, 2017, 12:12:30 am
The SEC probably was pretty mediocre to awful after our top 4-5 teams.  Vandy is a mystery.  They looked phenomenal at times this year.  They went 3-0 against Florida, blew us out at BWA, and were an epic chokejob away from going 2-1 against us.  So yeah, they're still a pretty dang good team.  Regardless, this NCAA tournament has more than proven that the SEC's four best teams this year (Kentucky, Florida, Arkansas, South Carolina) were MUCH better than anyone wanted to give them credit for; especially South Carolina and Arkansas and I feel like Florida might've been a little under seeded as a 4-seed.

On another note, I still can't figure out how Wisconsin got an 8-seed.  That has to be one of the worst under-seedings of the last decade.  Wisconsin finished second in the Big 10, ahead of Maryland, Minnesota, and Michigan who finished 3rd-5th.  Wisconsin went 1-0 against Maryland, 2-0 against Minnesota, and 1-2 against Michigan.  Yet, Minnesota got a 5-seed, Maryland got a 6-seed, and Michigan got a 7-seed while Wisconsin got an 8-seed.  Wisconsin also made the Big 10 championship game before losing to a red hot Michigan team.   
I can think of another under-seeded team.

RME

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 25, 2017, 12:14:06 am
True that's why it's confusing to think back - we only made the round of 32, technically.  This team really made a sweet 16- final 4.

Hell why stop there? I'm proclaiming us as the champs. Getting a tattoo and everything.

And you some folks on here are legitimately offended and confused when guys like Clay Travis satirically write about us as a whole.

The Kig

Quote from: LR_Matt on March 24, 2017, 11:44:22 pm

Shhhhhhhhhh....

That doesn't fit the mantra that everyone hates the Hogs and it's always the refs fault we lose....instead of the fact that we score ZERO points in the final 3 1l2 minutes, even with free throws. Put on your headgear.....incoming bombs.
Poker Porker

niels_boar

Quote from: Hogz87 on March 25, 2017, 12:12:30 am

I guess I missed where the top four or five teams in the SEC just pummeled the rest of the conference all season.  UK lost to UT. Florida lost three times to Vandy, who had losses to Bama, UGA, Missouri, and Ole Miss.  Arkansas won at USC, beat Vandy 2 of 3,  but lost to MSU and Missouri.  USC lost to Bama twice and Ole Miss.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Hogs49ers

Elite 8 by conference:

SEC:  3
Big 12:  1
Big East:  1
ACC:  1
PAC 10:  1
WCC:  1
SCREW Vandy!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 25, 2017, 12:17:25 am
Hell why stop there? I'm proclaiming us as the champs. Getting a tattoo and everything.

And you some folks on here are legitimately offended and confused when guys like Clay Travis satirically write about us as a whole.

Hell, why stop there.  We were hot at the end of the year.  If we got past unc... who knows

niels_boar

Quote from: The Kig on March 25, 2017, 12:19:31 am
Shhhhhhhhhh....

That doesn't fit the mantra that everyone hates the Hogs and it's always the refs fault we lose....instead of the fact that we score ZERO points in the final 3 1l2 minutes, even with free throws. Put on your headgear.....incoming bombs.

It's a little easier to score points in the final 3 minutes if your opponent doesn't have four fouls to give and can't fouls on jump shots with impunity.  But, yeah, the refs could have calls 40 fouls on us and zero on UNC for the entire game.  If we hit a three every time down the court, we would have won anyway.  So, the refs really don't ever influence who wins. If only the rest of us could be as objective as you....
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

lumphog

Quote from: LR_Matt on March 24, 2017, 11:44:22 pm
It's hard to win when you play 5 on 5 + 3 zebras  BIAS!!!!!!

Hawg Red

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 25, 2017, 12:17:25 am

So it's crazy to think that the Hogs would have beaten Butler tonight and gone to the Elite 8 if they had made it past UNC (hard to deny how much of an influence officiating had on their ability maintain and hold their lead)? And the games are in Memphis? Really? That's the stuff Clay Travis makes fun of us for? Don't think so.

lynbug

March 25, 2017, 09:09:10 am #45 Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:19:50 am by lynbug
1. The SEC has 3 of 8 (should have been 4) in the Elite Eight.
2. So much for "the SEC continues to be down....they're trying to strengthen their ooc schedule....blah, blah, blah" ...that we've been hearing all year.
3. From the beginning they said the South Regional was arguably the best.....and it has proven to  be.  ONLY regional that still had seeds 1-4 in the Sweet Sixteen.

So, I think it's safe to say...."We get NO respect"....except for Big Blue.

RaisinHog

We have a pretty solid chance of 2 sec teams in the final 4 I just hope SCe beats Florida :)

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 25, 2017, 12:02:47 am

We couldn't score in the last 3 mins of the game. We lost the game ourselves by playing not to lose.

Corkscrew Johnson

If you don't think this is important, you should.  If our league rep was better, we would have gotten a 6 or 7 seed this year.  Which makes a huge difference strategically  in your road to the final four.

Up until the last week of the season, they were debating whether we would even get 5 teams in the tourney.  My how the conversation has changed with 3 of the final 8 teams being SEC, and potentially would have been 4 if not for some creative officiating.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lynbug on March 25, 2017, 09:09:10 am
1. The SEC has 3 of 8 (should have been 4) in the Elite Eight.
2. So much for "the SEC continues to be down....they're trying to strengthen their ooc schedule....blah, blah, blah" ...that we've been hearing all year.
3. From the beginning they said the South Regional was arguably the best.....and it has proven to  be.  ONLY regional that still had seeds 1-4 in the Sweet Sixteen.

So, I think it's safe to say...."We get NO respect"....except for Big Blue.

The SEC is going to have to perform better in the early ooc. 

This NCAAT performance by the 3 remaining teams is good for the conference especially SC.  UK and UF already get respect. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.