Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Players Staying/Leaving Thread

Started by The_Iceman, March 21, 2017, 08:58:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

With the talk of Barford and Macon possibly leaving, I thought it would be good to start a thread for everyone to keep track of the players in the SEC that declare for the draft, transfer, or just decide to go overseas.

Also, talk about players deciding to stay or transfer in from another school.

The_Iceman

navyhog24

The_Iceman

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 21, 2017, 09:10:30 am
That would be big for aTm. They're just a PG away from being a good team.

Yep. Gilder (SG), Hogg (SF), Williams (PF), and Davis (C). Give them a PG and they are very good.

Looks like they have one coming in, along with a pretty solid class, #14 overall.

http://tamu.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

BRHogfan

Only reason he should stay is if he thinks he can develop and be the #1 overall next year right? 

Kevin McPherson

If Williams is projected Top 10 / lottery in 2017, he should go.

colbs

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 21, 2017, 10:23:11 am
Arkansas has guys thinking about leaving to play overseas while A&M has top 10 picks considering staying in school.

Hawg Red

Sounding like we have confirmation on Williams:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/844217905994760193

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/844217897555771393

I like it. I like to see kid's bet on themselves, come back and get better. What I don't like is that we will have to face Williams and, presumably, Tyler Davis again twice next year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: colbs on March 21, 2017, 11:02:53 am
Arkansas has guys thinking about leaving to play overseas while A&M has top 10 picks considering staying in school.

https://twitter.com/YoD4__/status/844218846877761541

Let's hope he is thinking about a Final 4 run next year!

Kevin

he needs to get rid of anyone talking to him about leaving.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

navyhog24

Seriously, it would be our luck that he leaves even to go overseas.

BRHogfan

Different strokes for different folks.  Some guys have family that can sustain without them providing.  Williams can also take insurance out based on an injury, that a guy like Macon may not be able to do.

311Hog

Macon really needs to come back for his SR year.  He will not be drafted into the NBA this is almost a certainty. But he could have an amazing SR year playing along side Barford as the focal point of the team next year.

NWAHog479

Macon needs to stay off of Twitter and realize Fayetteville for one year will be better than living/playing in Croatia...

BRHogfan

People really need to stop deciding what Macon should or shouldn't do.   That's a recipe for getting your feelings hurt.

phadedhawg

ugh...

I mean there's always gonna be one that hears the call and feels they must answer.  I wish all these young men well.  Macon could be a Razorback legend if he returns or he can go be an international journeyman and make a living doing what he loves.   

Hollywood870

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 21, 2017, 11:10:19 am

How many times have we seen this. Come back, cement yourself as a 1st rounder (Maybe). Get your degree. Take Arkansas back to a deep tourney run. Come back and get better.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 21, 2017, 09:19:15 am
Yep. Gilder (SG), Hogg (SF), Williams (PF), and Davis (C). Give them a PG and they are very good.

Looks like they have one coming in, along with a pretty solid class, #14 overall.

http://tamu.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

Yeah, we need Williams to leave.

The Hogfather

Exactly.  I just don't get it.  It's like a deja vu all over again every single year.  You'd think these guys would see the mistakes being made by the guys who came before them and learn.  Macon and/or Barford leaving would be a huge mistake on their part, but I fully expect one, if not both, to leave, simply because that's how Arkansas basketball has gone for 2 decades now.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 21, 2017, 11:10:19 am

If it is about leaving, he should STOP thinking, and get more sleep.  He truly could come back and turn himself into a draft pick.  I just don't get why this happens to Arkansas players.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 21, 2017, 11:05:29 am

I like it. I like to see kid's bet on themselves, come back and get better. What I don't like is that we will have to face Williams and, presumably, Tyler Davis again twice next year.

DANG!

Hollywood870

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 21, 2017, 11:49:32 am
People really need to stop deciding what Macon should or shouldn't do.   That's a recipe for getting your feelings hurt.
You're right. It's his life and decision. Has the submitting your name for review process even started yet?

The Hogfather

He is the one who will be making his decision.  He is in the spotlight, so people are going to talk about what he should/shouldn't do.  It comes with playing at this level.  Also, just because someone makes a decision for their life doesn't mean it is the best decision.  I see people all the time saying that no matter what a guy chooses, it has to be the right decision because he and his family know what's best for them.  Sometimes they don't and they f up.  Sometimes they get images of grandeur in their minds, make a wrong decision, and it costs them their future.

Rawker

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 21, 2017, 12:00:13 pm
ugh...

I mean there's always gonna be one that hears the call and feels they must answer.  I wish all these young men well.  Macon could be a Razorback legend if he returns or he can go be an international journeyman and make a living doing what he loves.

As far as how it relates to the program....people always want to blame Anderson, or coaches in general, for not getting the program into the top tier, but in order to do that there HAS to be a bridge to the next season to build on.  Even NC had two seniors (huge guys that could have gone NBA last year at the latest, and wil go this season) leading them in their lucky win.  But the kids simply will now allow it to happen because there is too much noise in their heads from sources that are thinking wrongly.  There should only be one voice:  if you're not a top pick, finish school.  Statistically you're so much better off, and you can STILL do that other thing you want to do in another year. 

rzrbkman

I haven't seen anyone "decide" Macon's basketball future but I have seen them discuss it on a message board.

311Hog

Not going to hurt my feelings i just think it would be a huge mistake on his part.  Unless he has mouths to feed, and/or can't cut it in the classroom he should return and get his degree and at least give himself a chance at being drafted.

phadedhawg

I guess there's a chance that some players may give up in the classroom once they've qualified for a semester and paint themselves into a corner.  There could be other sides to the story when a player who most think should come back chooses not to.

I know nothing about Macon's situation.  I hope he has kept all options open for himself.

The Hogfather

Quote from: 311Hog on March 21, 2017, 12:23:38 pm
Not going to hurt my feelings i just think it would be a huge mistake on his part.  Unless he has mouths to feed, and/or can't cut it in the classroom he should return and get his degree and at least give himself a chance at being drafted.

The minutes and shots will be there next year for him to really explode and be drafted (possibly a decent draft pick).  He has the size/quickness/ability to finish/shooting touch.  It would be a big mistake, regardless of his circumstances.  He should get his degree, increase his chances of getting drafted, continue to lead the program back to prominence (to become an Arkansas hero), and enjoy his senior year of college. 

311Hog

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 21, 2017, 12:28:10 pm
I guess there's a chance that some players may give up in the classroom once they've qualified for a semester and paint themselves into a corner.  There could be other sides to the story when a player who most think should come back chooses not to.

I know nothing about Macon's situation.  I hope he has kept all options open for himself.

Yeah i know nothing about his situation either.  I to hope for his sake and less for Arkansas's that he has done well in the classroom (in line to graduate). Because it is all there for him in his senior year. 

HardingHog

I realize this thread is about players leaving early, but I thought I'd also add players graduating from the SEC to also help illustrate how much each team is losing even without players leaving for the draft

Arkansas: Watkins, Hannahs, Kingsley

Florida: Kasey Hill, Justin Leon, Canyon Barry, Schuyler Remmer

Vanderbilt: Luke Kornet, Nolan Cressler

Tennessee: Lew Evans and Robert Hubbs

Missouri: Russell Woods

Alabama: Corban Collins, Jimmie Taylor, Shannon Hale, Bola Olaniyan

Auburn: TJ Dunans, Laron Smith, Devin Waddell

Mississippi State: IJ Ready

LSU: Brian Bridgewater, Brandon Eddlestone

Ole Miss: Rasheed Brooks, Jake Coddington, Sebastian Saiz

Georgia: Brandon Young, Houston Kessler, Kenny Geno, JJ Frazier

Texas A&M: JC Hampton, Tavario Miller

South Carolina: Justin McKie, Duane Notice, Sindarius Thornwell

Kentucky: Dominique Hawkins, Mychal Mulder, Derek Willis

HogBreath

Quote from: HardingHog on March 21, 2017, 01:53:39 pm
I realize this thread is about players leaving early, but I thought I'd also add players graduating from the SEC to also help illustrate how much each team is losing even without players leaving for the draft

So the last image we'll have of the great Sebastian Saiz as an SEC player will be of Moses Kingsley slapping his weak stuff out of there?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

BRHogfan

Kentucky likely NBA Draft - Monk, Fox, Adebayo

South Carolina likely NBA Draft - PJ Dozier

Quindary Weatherspoon has already said he's coming back for his Junior Year.

Antonio Blakeny at LSU has an NBA decision to make. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: HardingHog on March 21, 2017, 01:53:39 pm

Arkansas: Watkins, Hannahs, Kingsley

Florida: Kasey Hill, Justin Leon, Canyon Barry, Schuyler Remmer

Vanderbilt: Luke Kornet, Nolan Cressler

Tennessee: Lew Evans and Robert Hubbs

Missouri: Russell Woods

Alabama: Corban Collins, Jimmie Taylor, Shannon Hale, Bola Olaniyan

Auburn: TJ Dunans, Laron Smith, Devin Waddell

Mississippi State: IJ Ready

LSU: Brian Bridgewater, Brandon Eddlestone

Looks like the SEC will be strong next year.

Teams that will drop off significantly are Ole Miss, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Teams that may see a drop off: Tennessee, Vandy, Florida.

Teams that will be improved: Auburn, Alabama, Texas a&m, and Mizzou  (if they land all the recruits they are hoping for).

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 21, 2017, 02:37:38 pm
Looks like the SEC will be strong next year.

Teams that will drop off significantly are Ole Miss, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Teams that may see a drop off: Tennessee, Vandy, Florida.

Teams that will be improved: Auburn, Alabama, Texas a&m, and Mizzou  (if they land all the recruits they are hoping for).

My early, early expectation:

NCAA locks: Kentucky, Florida

Strong NCAA contenders: Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn

Will be in NCAA mix: Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi State

The rest: Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU, South Carolina

I went conservation with the Hogs because I know so much about the roster. We could be strong NCAA contenders but we are replacing senior leadership with length, talent and athleticism. It's not clear which way the scale tips, if at all, right now. I think the SEC gets 6-7 bids next year. This year's strong performance in the NCAAs coupled with the bulk of the coaching talent having been in place for a few years should lend the league some credibility with the selection committee.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 21, 2017, 02:08:44 pm
Kentucky likely NBA Draft - Monk, Fox, Adebayo

South Carolina likely NBA Draft - PJ Dozier

Quindary Weatherspoon has already said he's coming back for his Junior Year.

Antonio Blakeny at LSU has an NBA decision to make.

D Rob from Florida is beginning to get attention.

onebadrubi

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 21, 2017, 11:35:10 am
Different strokes for different folks.  Some guys have family that can sustain without them providing.  Williams can also take insurance out based on an injury, that a guy like Macon may not be able to do.

Why couldn't Macon?  It's paid for by the school.  If that was a factor. I guarantee you Mike would get it from Jeff Long.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 311Hog on March 21, 2017, 11:37:22 am
Macon really needs to come back for his SR year.  He will not be drafted into the NBA this is almost a certainty. But he could have an amazing SR year playing along side Barford as the focal point of the team next year.
He's not even in the top 100 on the big board.

http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

JenksHawg

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 21, 2017, 11:42:37 am
Macon needs to stay off of Twitter and realize Fayetteville for one year will be better than living/playing in Croatia...

I'll take $300k/year as a 21 year old living in Croatia over going to school and playing basketball for free in Fayetteville any day of the week.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 21, 2017, 03:46:58 pm
My early, early expectation:

NCAA locks: Kentucky, Florida

Strong NCAA contenders: Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn

Will be in NCAA mix: Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi State

The rest: Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU, South Carolina

I went conservation with the Hogs because I know so much about the roster. We could be strong NCAA contenders but we are replacing senior leadership with length, talent and athleticism. It's not clear which way the scale tips, if at all, right now. I think the SEC gets 6-7 bids next year. This year's strong performance in the NCAAs coupled with the bulk of the coaching talent having been in place for a few years should lend the league some credibility with the selection committee.
I'll say this after watching Mills vs. Parkview. The Hall kid is really really good. His shot has improved and he has a calmness about his game that we just don't have. He's a really smart player and I think he's the most underrated or less talked about recruit we have. Gafford has tons of potential and Garland is really quick and athletic. But Hall has the all around game we need to play right away. Everyone wants a big, and it definitely would help. But I think we need a PG more.

azhog10

Quote from: JenksHawg on March 21, 2017, 05:08:44 pm
I'll take $300k/year as a 21 year old living in Croatia over going to school and playing basketball for free in Fayetteville any day of the week.
Love Macon, but he's not making 300k a year in Croatia. Most good players overseas are lucky to crack six figures. Sure there are some over there making good money, but most come from the NBA that are on the back end of their careers. Very few college players are going over seas and making that kind of coin their first year.

Hollywood870

If Macon wants to leave that's cool. But imo opinion it would be daf.  He came on and played solid. Lots of NBA guards. Dime a dozen. Go ahead. But I hope he comes back.

The Hogfather

These posts crack me up.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 21, 2017, 11:05:29 am

Huge mistake by Robert Williams. If he returns A&M will be loaded.

songofthesword

the thing that roy williams does better than anyone else in the country is recruit good talent that will stay 4 years.

people think oh UNC they have all these mc donalds all americans. i mean, tehy have some, but their recruiting classes really aren't a hell of a lot more different t han ours. darn t hey have a 2 star logging major minutes.

but he zeros in on players lke justin jackson who while
a 5 star doesn't have one and done type game. joel barry's height an his push shot will prevent him from ever getting a legit nba shot. and they dont' leave because they have babies tehy have to support etc.

the key is getting good players, to stay.

this next 2 months is the biggest in mikes career. he HAS to convince macon and barford to stay. portis was gone and i dont' blame him and it was the right decision because he was an nba talent. macon and barford aren't there yet and should not go.

songofthesword

he'll be in the running for first overall pick next year. Michael Porter Jr whode is probably going to go to mizzou ironically, Deandre ayton at arizona and Luka donnic will all be in the running with it probably going to Porter jr he is a taller smoother joe johnson

Svrdhd

Hate to say it but sometimes the best reality check is for the coaches to gather the player AND HIS FAMILY and take a real hard look at the many former Razorbacks (basketball and football) who left early and are not exactly setting the world on fire.
  Improved draft stock and more progress towards a degree are smart decisions unless you are an elite player.

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

The Hogfather

Problem is, when these guys, especially Arkansas guys, try to prove everybody wrong by making the leap.  And, nearly EVERY SINGLE TIME, they crash and burn. 

LZH

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 21, 2017, 06:05:20 pm
These posts crack me up.

I don't know man, those South American women can make a man do strange things......

Hawg Red

No undrafted rookie is going to be making 300k to play pro basketball unless they sign and stick with an NBA team. Period. That's the kind of money older players make over there. You guys have to remember that the highest paid players outside of the NBA only make 3-5 million a year. That's the top 1% of players outside the NBA. Most seasoned but not star players are making 200-600k a year, which is good, but a rookie is not going to get that. You'd need to put in 3-4 years overseas or have come from the NBA to be making truly good money for a truly good organization overseas.

hobhog

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 21, 2017, 10:23:11 am

Maybe values an education?