Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Screens

Started by BigBen, April 05, 2017, 06:05:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBen

So I've been watching some the clips from practice and I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of shots of the offense running through screen plays. Now this could just be that the only time cameras are allowed happens to be during the period when they practice screens or that Enos is making an effor to incorporate screen plays more. I hope we run more because it seemed we had many big plays off of screens last year. If you can successfully run multiple screens in a game it really can slow down the rush and cause the coordinator to be hesitant to send more LB blitzes. What's your thoughts on this?

NuttinItUp

As long as they are bubble screens.

Smalltownhog95

Maybe an easy way to build our newer revivers confidence? A few throws right to them and some RAC yards could go a long way to build on this early in practice.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

FANONTHEHILL

Devwah took a screen 50 yards Saturday with Ragnow leading him 40 yards down field.  A beautiful thing.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

zebradynasty

With the size we have at WR and TE, WR screens should be deadly!

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on April 05, 2017, 08:08:38 pm
With the size we have at WR and TE, WR screens should be deadly!

We were successful last year with them.

factchecker

We ran a ton of them last season.

Devwah had a great play off a screen against Florida.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Al Boarland

I think the O will remain productive for the most part. As always, the true test will be against the teams with superior athletes.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on April 05, 2017, 08:23:11 pm
We were successful last year with them.

True but this year should be better.

Arthur pigby sellers.

If TJ Hammonds plays WR  for you.  You must run screens!

twistitup

Screens are almost another form of the run game by quickly getting our speed guys onto the edge (or into space) w room to run/cut
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Tejano Jawg

Screens (and any passing to the backs) were under-utilized last year. I couldn't understand not trying it on occasion, when our running game was getting stopped at the line.

Rawleigh has had great success at running after the catch. He did this back in high school too. He'd have games where he'd rush for 200 and catch for nearly 100.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ricepig

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 07, 2017, 08:25:11 am
Screens (and any passing to the backs) were under-utilized last year. I couldn't understand not trying it on occasion, when our running game was getting stopped at the line.

Rawleigh has had great success at running after the catch. He did this back in high school too. He'd have games where he'd rush for 200 and catch for nearly 100.

Hmm, I seem to remember several screens to RW and DW for nice gains. I guess we all see it differently. They caught 21 passes for 360 yards last year.

zebradynasty

I was really talking about WR screens. With several WR's 6'-"3 and taller 220lbs or so. Those screens would be deadly. If we mix them all up power runs between the tackles, screens to the RB, using the TE, screens to the WR's and then some deep shots...it gives us a much better chance of moving the ball against Bama.

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on April 07, 2017, 02:53:15 pm
I was really talking about WR screens. With several WR's 6'-"3 and taller 220lbs or so. Those screens would be deadly. If we mix them all up power runs between the tackles, screens to the RB, using the TE, screens to the WR's and then some deep shots...it gives us a much better chance of moving the ball against Bama.

The problem last year was some guys getting their blocks on the WR screens, pretty spotty at best. We don't seem to run a lot of the inside tunnel screens, for some reason.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on April 07, 2017, 03:02:41 pm
The problem last year was some guys getting their blocks on the WR screens, pretty spotty at best. We don't seem to run a lot of the inside tunnel screens, for some reason.

Right I think we are missing some opportunities to move the ball. One thing that could help with that is we can't seem to sign the little jitterbug type WR's. Or maybe I should say we don't sign many WR's that are elusive but that just might be BB's preference.

bennyl08

Quote from: zebradynasty on April 07, 2017, 03:07:58 pm
Right I think we are missing some opportunities to move the ball. One thing that could help with that is we can't seem to sign the little jitterbug type WR's. Or maybe I should say we don't sign many WR's that are elusive but that just might be BB's preference.

We didn't early on but have in recent years. Stewart is definitely that type of receiver. Then in this class, Warren and Barnes are that type two, though their positions are not set in stone yet, I think they are both starting at WR.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: ricepig on April 07, 2017, 09:13:28 am
Hmm, I seem to remember several screens to RW and DW for nice gains. I guess we all see it differently. They caught 21 passes for 360 yards last year.

I don't have a sense if 21 passes is a lot. Or not. I just remember the times when we couldn't get anything going in the running game (despite Rawleigh's All-SEC year), and that we needed to try something else—screens, passes underneath, etc. So to me, maybe it was the absence of these type passes when we needed them most.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

bennyl08

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 07, 2017, 06:13:38 pm
I don't have a sense if 21 passes is a lot. Or not. I just remember the times when we couldn't get anything going in the running game (despite Rawleigh's All-SEC year), and that we needed to try something else—screens, passes underneath, etc. So to me, maybe it was the absence of these type passes when we needed them most.

60+ receptions is a substantial work load for a full time receiver to put 20 receptions into context. That's about 1.5 catches every game (for the rb's).

If you look at the game log for RW3, it's interesting. Looking at the yards, there's a pretty obvious bump in receiving yards during games that we struggled to run. Bama, LSU, and then also Mizz. However, when you look at receptions, it is more uniform. There wasn't an uptick in receptions that Rawleigh made during games where we didn't run well, but there was an uptick in the productivity of those receptions.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Arazorbackguy1

I like smoke draw screens
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hobhog

hawgXi

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 07, 2017, 08:25:11 am

yes iirc, I think he impressed me as a receiver out of the backfield in his HS championship game