Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JuCo's???

Started by BR, December 26, 2017, 08:24:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

Beside Emmitt Gooden are their any more we are chasing?

I know Juco signing period is from December 20, 2017 until January 15, 2018
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

nwahogfan1

I see nothing here.  With a new coach comes lower expectations for next year so Morris is recruiting for further down the road and not a quick fix. CBB knew he had to fix things now and so he went after JUCOs hoping this would be enough to keep him one more year.  Long bought that plan. Fans and board did not so they are both gone.

JUCO kids are many times a gamble also and unless a 5 star recruit takes a year to adjust.  I like Morris plan much better if he can sign some Texas studs. We will see.

jackflash

we were recruiting a defensive lineman name Jefferson

SooieGeneris

Quote from: jackflash on December 26, 2017, 11:47:13 am
we were recruiting a defensive lineman name Jefferson

According to 24/7 sports, we still are. It lists us as "warm" with Florida as the "favorite".
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

ricepig

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 26, 2017, 12:11:41 pm
According to 24/7 sports, we still are. It lists us as "warm" with Florida as the "favorite".

I don't think the current staff has contacted him, or I haven't heard we have.

BR

Quote from: ricepig on December 26, 2017, 12:34:11 pm
I don't think the current staff has contacted him, or I haven't heard we have.
Thanks Brother for the Update...

BR

Not that I agree with getting a ton of JuCo's (ie:Kansas State) maybe the right ones in a spot of need will work...  Last year we did well with the WR's we brought in..

ricepig

Quote from: BR on December 26, 2017, 01:08:16 pm
Not that I agree with getting a ton of JuCo's (ie:Kansas State) maybe the right ones in a spot of need will work...  Last year we did well with the WR's we brought in..

Yeah, even Bama will bring in 1 or 2, but they are always the cream of the crop.

justmaybe

Are they still recruiting Gooden?

Oklahawg

Quote from: justmaybe on December 26, 2017, 01:56:09 pm
Are they still recruiting Gooden?

Gooden obviously wants us recruiting him. Not sure we've made contact.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tim Harris

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 26, 2017, 09:24:01 am
I see nothing here.  With a new coach comes lower expectations for next year so Morris is recruiting for further down the road and not a quick fix. CBB knew he had to fix things now and so he went after JUCOs hoping this would be enough to keep him one more year.  Long bought that plan. Fans and board did not so they are both gone.

JUCO kids are many times a gamble also and unless a 5 star recruit takes a year to adjust.  I like Morris plan much better if he can sign some Texas studs. We will see.

I know the "lower expectations" thing gets said a lot on message boards but I just don't buy it.  Every coach wants to win immediately.  Think about if Bielema had won 6 to 7 games in year 1.  He may still be here today. 

I also think you could argue the other direction if you wanted.  With as drastic of a change as we are going to see there are probably additional gaps that would not have been there if Bielema stayed. 

I don't think many programs will do like KState and make a living in the JC ranks but there is always a position you need a quick fix at.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 27, 2017, 08:45:58 am
I know the "lower expectations" thing gets said a lot on message boards but I just don't buy it.  Every coach wants to win immediately.  Think about if Bielema had won 6 to 7 games in year 1.  He may still be here today. 

I also think you could argue the other direction if you wanted.  With as drastic of a change as we are going to see there are probably additional gaps that would not have been there if Bielema stayed. 

I don't think many programs will do like KState and make a living in the JC ranks but there is always a position you need a quick fix at.
Tim, another big factor is the number of available slots in this class.  With 18ish slots, you need HS players to keep the classes somewhat balanced out.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 27, 2017, 10:14:55 am
Tim, another big factor is the number of available slots in this class.  With 18ish slots, you need HS players to keep the classes somewhat balanced out.

I think this is a big factor as well. Without any attrition I'm counting 18 Seniors, 22 Juniors, 21 Sophomores and 15 Redshirt Freshmen. That's pretty balanced and adding a bunch of JC guys could make that Junior class oversized. If we sign any JCs this year I wouldn't expect more than 1 or 2.