Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Realistic goal for this recruiting class

Started by Hogwild, December 20, 2017, 11:44:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

According to 24/7  the current class is ranked 73rd in the nation and last in the SEC.
In defense our HC has only been on board for 10 days and we are still waiting on the DC. Between now an Feb's signing date, I'm really curious to see how far we can move up in the rankings

What would be a realistic goal to achieve with this class?  Top 40 in the nation? top 30? 
Finishing ahead of probation riddled Ole Miss in a must, is a top 10 SEC finish a possibility?
Curious on what y'all are thinking.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Season/2018-Football/Commits

hogsanity

Got to be top 25 usually to get into the top 10 in the SEC.

I did not expect alot from this class. CM just needs to fill what needs he can. It again looks like the Hogs will be signing a bunch of guys that would be contributors at most of the SEC-w schools. Good players, but no playmakers.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

pghawg1

Looks like the ones that did sign were either 3 or 4 stars, if the rest of the kids we sign in feb are 3 or 4 star the class may be ranked a lot higher.

WOOPIGDOOIE

The ranks are based a lot on how many recruits are signed. We have fewer scholarships available then most schools this year. So I don't see much of a change in ranking from now till February.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Huds_HawgTide

I'm of the notion to only sign players you want don't be desperate to fill out all the spots...next yr is shaping up to be a good class with in state and a few select athletes we have in roads with...save em for next yr
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogwild on December 20, 2017, 11:44:33 am
According to 24/7  the current class is ranked 73rd in the nation and last in the SEC.
In defense our HC has only been on board for 10 days and we are still waiting on the DC. Between now an Feb's signing date, I'm really curious to see how far we can move up in the rankings

What would be a realistic goal to achieve with this class?  Top 40 in the nation? top 30? 
Finishing ahead of probation riddled Ole Miss in a must, is a top 10 SEC finish a possibility?

Our low ranking mostly has to do with the quantity of commits.  We only have 10 committed.  That alone will significantly depress the ranking. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Huds_HawgTide

Always hated coach B not saving spots and giving em to a judo project cpl months later
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Billy Bats

I promise you CCM overperforms in this first recruiting class.  Top 25. 

Spektre

I would rather him sign less and have extra room for legitimate recruits than him hurry up and fill spots with guys that have better than average chances of never seeing the field.

Get the best you can to fill your immediate needs, and stockpile anything that doesn't scream potential.

Just don't judge this class off of the production of the early signing period, and don't judge CCM based on this class if it isn't up to snuff. If he does salvage a top 30-35 class out of this, it should honestly give us a lot more hope for the next few years given the limited time he has to work with to accomplish that.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on December 20, 2017, 12:00:12 pm
Always hated coach B not saving spots and giving em to a judo project cpl months later

Can still only sign 25, so it is not like there is a need to only sign 10 some year to try to save up for the next.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 20, 2017, 12:00:38 pm
I promise you CCM overperforms in this first recruiting class.  Top 25. 

2018 or 2019 class?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 20, 2017, 12:04:07 pm
2018.  Bold prediction. 

Yeah, he's going to have to sign 20 with a number of those being 4* to make top 25.  Bold is an understatement.

Hogwild

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on December 20, 2017, 11:57:28 am
The ranks are based a lot on how many recruits are signed. We have fewer scholarships available then most schools this year. So I don't see much of a change in ranking from now till February.

How many more do you think we will sign? 6-10? 

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on December 20, 2017, 05:16:24 pm
How many more do you think we will sign? 6-10? 

He said he wanted to sign 8 more in February, I assume that includes 3 that are currently committed to us, too. Looks like a class of 15-17 total.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 20, 2017, 12:05:53 pm
Yeah, he's going to have to sign 20 with a number of those being 4* to make top 25.  Bold is an understatement.
Impossible, based on the numbers, isn't it?  Unless he cleans house?

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 20, 2017, 05:22:52 pm
Impossible, based on the numbers, isn't it?  Unless he cleans house?

Yep we're at 82 on scholarship as of today when you include these 7.

RaisinHog

Smashmouth2004

This is the worst situation for a new coach 3 weeks into the job with having an early signing period. To make it worse we don't have many slots remaining and Bielema alienating in state recruits as well as the entire state of Texas. Morris can change this but we'll have to wait until next year.

31to6

Numbers are going to keep he class outside the top 40. Just the way it is.

CCM said in his presser he will try to sign 6-8 more and that he doesn't want to fill up because he doesn't yet know what attrition will be like.

Because of how class ranking works, with 14-16 signees we would have to pull in a the coup of all coups (like miraculously pulling in 6 4*'s all at the most highly valued positions) to crack the top 25.

An examples of what it takes to have a highly ranked small class:

Clemson 2017 (https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2017-Football/Commits)
#16 per 247
14 signees, 2 5*s & 8 4*s

On the other hand a class with some good players at a school that normally recruits at a high level:

Michigan 2015 (https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Season/2015-Football/Commits)
#37 per 247
14 signees, 6 4*s and 8 3*s

Ordinarily a small class like this every few years is actually not that big of a deal because it means that your redshirt program is working and you are retaining players. A "good problem to have" if you will and it often lets you be choosy and really focus on getting the best players for the available spots.

It is unfortunate for us because we all know the roster needs to transform a bit, but the days of a new coach signing 35 players and then running off 1/3 of the roster to rapidly transform are long gone...

Just be happy that we are getting some much needed players and that we have some talent on the roster for the staff to work with.

root_hawg

comeon

kennypig

My opinion is unless these kids are gung-ho Arkansas all the way no matter who the coach is, they are a little confused as to what to do. We have a new coach that not all are familiar with, he's going to change the offense a lot, and no one knows who the defensive coaches will be. And he's only been here a couple of weeks. The only players that know him are those he was recruiting for SMU. I think that with his high school connections, his time with Tulsa, Clemson & SMU, and his enthusiasm, if he can show something on the field next season, we are looking at a great recruiting class for 2019.

BR

Will be all right.. The players signed so far are all ballers.. We might not be highly rated this class, but Coach knows the options. Plus we will have our "D" staff on hand soon.. After Jan 1st, their will be a lot of Graduate Transfers out there. We might have to take a few of those this year.. Then watch out 2019.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

farmhawg

I think he will take players that fit his needs. More like petrino in regards to evaluating the talent will be my guess.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Roy Bacon

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 20, 2017, 12:00:11 pm
Our low ranking mostly has to do with the quantity of commits.  We only have 10 committed.  That alone will significantly depress the ranking.

Exactly , and we only have a limited number of scholarships to offer . It's less than 20 so the ranking has little chance of breaking the top 30
Just say no to the forward facing Hog !

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: farmhawg on December 20, 2017, 06:35:37 pm
I think he will take players that fit his needs. More like petrino in regards to evaluating the talent will be my guess.
Agree.  We got 2 D-Linemen, a CB, and LB yesterday on defense.  Need a safety and then either another CB or LB (or both if numbers work)

Offensively, we got a QB, WR, and O-Linemen.  We need a couple more O-Linemen then mix in the best WR/RBs we can get.