Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happened to Lunny and his recruiting of Arkansas kids.

Started by Piggfoot, December 19, 2017, 04:54:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 19, 2017, 04:54:59 pm
Tim Horton held things together for Petrino.

lol you don't have a very good long term memory do you?

Piggfoot

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 19, 2017, 04:55:40 pm
lol you don't have a very good long term memory do you?
I have a very good memory what are you talking about? Horton maintained contact with Adams and The Warren Three. Maybe others.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

junkyardhog

I think he citing an AL.com article saying Horton held it together. Adams and the Warren boys came because of The chance to play in Petrino's offense. They were not coming to Arkansas pre Petrino.
Mike Williams
'UA 03

Have had the handle junkyardhog since 2002(WP)

Bubba's Bruisers

Yawn, GB wasn't coming here unless he was the only QB.  It's incredibly simple math to understand.  Even for the OP. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Dwight_K_Shrute

Small petty stupid people.  Quit trying to compare what a coach or any staff can do in 2 weeks versus 2 months.  If you think it's a fair comparison you are either ignorant as hell or just a bitter whiny little B.  Grow the hell up.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

colbs

Lunney wasn't able to visit any recruits until CCM was hired.  Also, Horton didn't have to go against the early signing period. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 19, 2017, 05:14:06 pm
Small petty stupid people.  Quit trying to compare what a coach or any staff can do in 2 weeks versus 2 months.  If you think it's a fair comparison you are either ignorant as hell or just a bitter whiny little B.  Grow the hell up.
Hogville has always suffered from amnesia. Some are acting like losing a couple of instate recruits never happened in the past.

pigmania

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 19, 2017, 05:13:31 pm
Yawn, GB wasn't coming here unless he was the only QB.  It's incredibly simple math to understand.  Even for the OP. 
The boy is scared of competition. Guess that's why he only competed on a 2A level in high school. Of all the schools that offered, he chooses the one that had the least amount of competition. Once he's at Baylor, you'll never hear of his name again, outside of Earle, AR.

Tusks

There was some FB/LB that played at Alma who went to Baylor and was cited as one of the last nails in the coffin of one Lou Holtz.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ronsooie

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result."

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: junkyardhog on December 19, 2017, 05:08:37 pm
I think he citing an AL.com article saying Horton held it together. Adams and the Warren boys came because of The chance to play in Petrino's offense. They were not coming to Arkansas pre Petrino.

Bingo.. Wright would have been a red raider if not for Petrino.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: tusked on December 19, 2017, 05:20:14 pm
There was some FB/LB that played at Alma who went to Baylor and was cited as one of the last nails in the coffin of one Lou Holtz.
Ask Mike Irwin to share some insight into that story. I heard him share on radio previously, as that guy is married into Mr. Irwin's Family from what I recall.

BroyledNutts

There's some conjecture out there that Lunney was not allowed out on the post-season recruiting trail until the new HC [eventually Morris] was hired ... my guess would be by administration ...

Coach B

2A QBs are a dime a dozen. We already have one on campus who needs to transfer. Nolan will compete from day one.

regi

Bert,  11- 29, signing day 6 weeks earlier than ever before.  Lunney,  kept tabs on Ferrell and and Bishop,  when his previous HC didn't care much for either.  So there is all that

Wooderson

Lunney held things together for Bret's first class. Sounds like Flanagan was the only one that may have been saved.   Is the rumor true he wasn't allowed to go out.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

31to6

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 19, 2017, 05:47:21 pm
There's some conjecture out there that Lunney was not allowed out on the post-season recruiting trail until the new HC [eventually Morris] was hired ... my guess would be by administration ...
*that* was a mistake.

CBL is loyal to Arkansas and would have sold the program and kept the kids engaged. The risk of him flipping a recruit after being fired and hired elsewhere is much lower than the downside of basically going dark on our commits while we played footsie with Gus.

ricepig

Quote from: Wooderson on December 19, 2017, 05:52:46 pm
Lunney held things together for Bret's first class. Sounds like Flanagan was the only one that may have been saved.   Is the rumor true he wasn't allowed to go out.

It isn't a rumor, why don't you ask one of the several recruiting guys in Arkansas about what the staff did between Nov 24th, and Dec. 5th??

Vantage 8 dude

Great! Just what we need.....another epic fail post. Duh, might want to check out and compare the time lines in terms of when recruits were allowed to sign versus when the ENTIRE coaching staffs were finally on board. I think you'll quickly and easily see that when Petrino (and even CBB) came in there was far more time to try to contact and establish relationships with various kids.

So before you try to stir up another controversy over how CCM and/or Lunney have apparently "blown it" you might actually want to check out the facts next time. And yes, I am reading your OP as a criticism, vailed or otherwise, of the job done thus far.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: 31to6 on December 19, 2017, 05:55:03 pm
*that* was a mistake.

CBL is loyal to Arkansas and would have sold the program and kept the kids engaged. The risk of him flipping a recruit after being fired and hired elsewhere is much lower than the downside of basically going dark on our commits while we played footsie with Gus.

Lots of mistakes were made during the process to find another head coach and AD ... this is just one of them that has, or eventually will, come to light.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: tusked on December 19, 2017, 05:20:14 pm

He gained 301 yards in 1983, which was Lou's last year.  I wouldn't have wasted a nail on that.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 19, 2017, 05:58:32 pm
Great! Just what we need.....another epic fail post. Duh, might want to check out and compare the time lines in terms of when recruits were allowed to sign versus when the ENTIRE coaching staffs were finally on board. I think you'll quickly and easily see that when Petrino (and even CBB) came in there was far more time to try to contact and establish relationships with various kids.

So before you try to stir up another controversy over how CCM and/or Lunney have apparently "blown it" you might actually want to check out the facts next time. And yes, I am reading your OP as a criticism, vailed or otherwise, of the job done thus far.

I'm worried you're going to stroke out on us ... take a break, get a drink, go check the mail or something for a few. You're wound tighter than an 8 day clock right now.

farmhawg

+1
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 19, 2017, 06:01:39 pm

I'm worried you're going to stroke out on us ... take a break, get a drink, go check the mail or something for a few. You're wound tighter than an 8 day clock right now.
Not in the least. Did I post something that wasn't true, slim ??? BTW your concern for my health is truly touching. However, save it for someone who might actually give a damn. 

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 19, 2017, 06:09:29 pm
Not in the least. Did I post something that wasn't true, slim ??? BTW your concern for my health is truly touching. However, save it for someone who might actually give a damn. 

It's nothing about the content of your posts - You just seem exceptionally vitriolic lately ... not your usual self ... and I've been here a long time and have seen many posts from you ... it seems to have started about the time of the head coaching search ... but hey, whatever. You're not interested in someone's outside concern for you, so be it. Rage on.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 19, 2017, 06:58:14 pm
It's nothing about the content of your posts - You just seem exceptionally vitriolic lately ... not your usual self ... and I've been here a long time and have seen many posts from you ... it seems to have started about the time of the head coaching search ... but hey, whatever. You're not interested in someone's outside concern for you, so be it. Rage on.

Not his usual self?  Really?  This is exactly the Vantage we've come to know and love.  The board needs color.  Personality.  He offers that.  I say be yourself.  Vitriol and all.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 19, 2017, 07:03:52 pm
Not his usual self?  Really?  This is exactly the Vantage we've come to know and love.  The board needs color.  Personality.  He offers that.  I say be yourself.  Vitriol and all.

Having passion in discussions is one thing ... staying pegged at 10 on the rage meter speaks to something beyond Hogville manifesting itself here at others expense. Just benign concern from me, that's all.

Sick 'em Vantage, kill ... kill.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 19, 2017, 06:58:43 pm
We still have people who care about little Timmy?

Evidently there are what with all the Horton for HC, Horton for AD posts on here from Nov. 24th right up until Yurachek/CM were hired..

Some all but wanted to change the name of the school to Horton U as that is no more outlandish than the idea he is qualified for either AD or HC.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Pig_Lebowski

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

tbhogfan

He had a couple of months for recruits to get to know the new staff.  How many DAYS has Morris been coach now?
Go Hogs!

hawginbigd1

Is that your go to excuse when we fail to sign an even decent class, I am hearing CCM warming up the excuse bus also in a few interviews, don't give excuses, give results.

azhog10

We kissed on Frazier and Brooks when Petrino was here. That's two #1s in their class. Horton wasn't a world beater.

Richard Davenport

Tim didn't have an early signing period to deal with.

jgphillips3

theFlyingHog

Pigfoot's just a troll. Look at his post history, nothing positive ever gets typed on his keyboard

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

S.A.D.C

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 19, 2017, 05:47:21 pm

Not conjecture- fact.

ricepig

Athog

This^!!

Pork Twain

Having a selective memory is like having a superpower, but only for yourself.  Everyone else just knows you are an asshat.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jackflash

I think Lunney does a  great job with getting Arkansas kids to come. And who to say they won't get better prospect to sign from out of state

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 20, 2017, 08:57:05 am
Having a selective memory is like having a superpower, but only for yourself.  Everyone else just knows you are an asshat.
Wrong!

buldozer

I for one, do not blame Lunny for missing out on these in-state kids. CBBs legacy here at Arkansas will be that he single handedly burned down a good portion of the good will the UA had built up over the years with the in-state HS Coaches and players. Lunny can't be held accountable for the decisions the head coach made to not recruit in-state kids, and the terrible way he did approach those he did recruit. The late offers, poor evaluation of in-state talent and poor relationships CBB created can not be laid at anyone else's feet IMO.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Getting the Top 2 defensive prospects in the state (Ferrell, Bishop) to stay home along with DE Isaiah Nichols will prove to be a big deal over the next few seasons.

ricepig

Quote from: buldozer on December 20, 2017, 09:07:15 am
I for one, do not blame Lunny for missing out on these in-state kids. CBBs legacy here at Arkansas will be that he single handedly burned down a good portion of the good will the UA had built up over the years with the in-state HS Coaches and players. Lunny can't be held accountable for the decisions the head coach made to not recruit in-state kids, and the terrible way he did approach those he did recruit. The late offers, poor evaluation of in-state talent and poor relationships CBB created can not be laid at anyone else's feet IMO.

I know a few coaches, I haven't had one tell me anything negative about the previous staff as far as recruiting their players, have you?

hogsanity

Some of you have got to get over your worship of instate kids.

Ask your self this, which would hurt the program more, never signing another in state kid, or never signing another out of state kid.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE