Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happened to our State ?

Started by DeltaBoy, December 19, 2017, 02:50:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Baylor

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Mike Irwin

Quote from: swineology on December 19, 2017, 04:15:35 pm
Jeff Long was fired, now you have 2 Texans running the show.

You got your wish deal with it
Yeah. Bohanon went to Baylor because of Hunter Yurachek and Chad Morris.  ???

jvanhorn

Quote from: Karma on December 19, 2017, 02:54:54 pm
I guess too many yankees have poisoned the minds of your delta kids.

Or maybe we just started taking south Arkansas for granted.  WMS is just another nail in the coffin.  Kids down there are very familiar with LSU, Mississisippi State, Missississippi, Memphis,.  Schools who have paid just as much attention to them as Arkansas, even though that is probably not a hell of a lot, but they are closer.

factchecker

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 19, 2017, 04:28:35 pm
Or maybe we just started taking south Arkansas for granted.  WMS is just another nail in the coffin.  Kids down there are very familiar with LSU, Mississisippi State, Missississippi, Memphis,.  Schools who have paid just as much attention to them as Arkansas, even though that is probably not a hell of a lot, but they are closer.

That theory would hold up if we were losing kids to LSU, Mississippi State, Mississippi, and/or Memphis ---- we aren't

The major kids we've lost have gone to Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State and Baylor today.

None of those schools play in War Memorial Stadium.

None of those schools are closer.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jvanhorn

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 19, 2017, 02:57:31 pm
Nah. I remember losing a boatload of recruits to OU and OSU in the 80s. Arkansas has always gotten the lion's share of home grown talent, but we've never had coach who kept all of them home.

Outside of Keith Jackson I would be interested in the boatloads of recruits that went to OU.  And Jackson only went because I think he had a problem with the Arkansas coach and he also could see he would not fit into the offense they were going to run.

swineology

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 19, 2017, 04:22:17 pm
Yeah. Bohanon went to Baylor because of Hunter Yurachek and Chad Morris.  ???

Gerry went to Baylor because Bret didn't recruit him.

Simple as that, Morris swooped in and couldn't get it done. The upheaval on the hill has soured some in state family's.

Dud, Danny and Dick knew it before hand.

jvanhorn

Quote from: factchecker on December 19, 2017, 04:31:00 pm
That theory would hold up if we were losing kids to LSU, Mississippi State, Mississippi, and/or Memphis ---- we aren't

The major kids we've lost have gone to Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State and Baylor today.

None of those schools play in War Memorial Stadium.

None of those schools are closer.

I think we can all agree that Alabama is an exception.  I would certainly be interested in know how many kids from south Arkansas went to Ohio State?
I have no idea why Baylor is in play, but I assume it something more that you can see on the surface.

factchecker

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 19, 2017, 04:34:11 pm
I think we can all agree that Alabama is an exception.  I would certainly be interested in know how many kids from south Arkansas went to Ohio State?
I have no idea why Baylor is in play, but I assume it something more that you can see on the surface.

Not south Arkansas but KJ Hill went to Ohio State.

How many kids from south Arkansas (who were offered) have gone to LSU, Mississisippi State, Missississippi, or Memphis?

How many south Arkansas kids that we have offered choose another school over the Razorbacks?

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

elksnort

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 19, 2017, 03:52:59 pm
I think the list shows how much he wants to try to be a qb.  Would think the list would have been much better if not. 
this makes about as much sense as anything.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: swineology on December 19, 2017, 04:15:35 pm
Jeff Long was fired, now you have 2 Texans running the show.

You got your wish deal with it
First it was Yankees, not it's Texans.

WilsonHog

Two things have changed.

(1) Exposure. When I was growing up, college football was a Saturday-only affair and consisted of maybe two games per week. Now college football is televised up to five days a week and as many as 20 games are shown. The world has opened up; it's the difference between a player believing that the world stops at the edge of Arkansas and realizing that he can go to Miami, Alabama, Michigan, Cal, etc.

(2) See our record since we joined the SEC. It ain't good.

The other thing to note is this: some kids do grow up locked into one school, but for the majority of them it is all about relationships. I've worked with high school students for 20 years, and I can tell you that statement even applies to academics; a kid will not learn from a teacher who hasn't taken the time to first build a relationship with them. So, which coach do they have the best relationship with? Players sign because of the coach, not because of the name of the school.   

Damn hard to build a relationship in two weeks when the guys recruiting against you have had a couple of years.

elksnort

The best post is the one expressing gratitude that kids from other states can and will come here.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 19, 2017, 02:57:19 pm
Yes but it grieves my soul to see instate kids pass by an offer from the Hogs.

But you took an offer from an out of state employer?

HawgWild

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 19, 2017, 04:31:42 pm
Outside of Keith Jackson I would be interested in the boatloads of recruits that went to OU.  And Jackson only went because I think he had a problem with the Arkansas coach and he also could see he would not fit into the offense they were going to run.

Eric Mitchell

Hawgphat

I suspect that in-state talent sometimes opt to go elsewhere for personal reasons of their own.  Those who are highly-sought-after have a number of lucrative offers from which to choose; and - as has already been noted - many of them strongly wish to play right away, hoping to play for two or three years and then turn pro.  They don't want to "waste" a year red-shirting.

Regardless of where a young athlete hails from, no recruiter - even an in-state one - (however compelling and how efficient he might be at painting a mural of supreme bliss and pitching the virtues of the Pinnacle Of Athletic Nirvana) can force-feed into a young man a desire to go where that young man does not wish to go.

You win some and you lose some.

Coondog Hog

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

elksnort

Quote from: Hawgphat on December 19, 2017, 04:56:08 pm
I suspect that in-state talent sometimes opt to go elsewhere for personal reasons of their own.  Those who are highly-sought-after have a number of lucrative offers from which to choose; and - as has already been noted - many of them strongly wish to play right away, hoping to play for two or three years and then turn pro.  They don't want to "waste" a year red-shirting.

Regardless of where a young athlete hails from, no recruiter - even an in-state one - (however compelling and how efficient he might be at painting a mural of supreme bliss and pitching the virtues of the Pinnacle Of Athletic Nirvana) can force-feed into a young man a desire to go where that young man does not wish to go.

You win some and you lose some.
pretty much thread.

Piggfoot

Well not a boatload but Eric Mitchell and Danny Bradley.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

kennypig

My opinion is that some of these kids today because of all the recruiting info out there, they start to see themselves as rock stars and program savers, and in three years they think they will be first round draft picks in the NFL. They don't have as much loyalty to a coach or school as they used to. Look at the players bailing on Ole Miss. Their being on TV and showing their talents to the NFL is more important.  Used to, I could see a kid going to a certain school because of the academics, his family was from there or went there, his girlfriend is there, or he goes where he has a better chance to play in a year or two and not sit the bench.  Again, JMO.

GuvHog

Quote from: factchecker on December 19, 2017, 04:36:51 pm
Not south Arkansas but KJ Hill went to Ohio State.

How many kids from south Arkansas (who were offered) have gone to LSU, Mississisippi State, Missississippi, or Memphis?

How many south Arkansas kids that we have offered choose another school over the Razorbacks?

There were 2 receivers from Warren and a Running back from Clarendon that chose Tennessee over Arkansas during the Fulmer era. Also a Fullback from West Memphis chose Ole Miss over Arkansas while Cutcliffe was Rebel HC.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Melancholy_Pigg

We have to be competitive again, plain and simple.  This past 6-years has seen us slide into the oblivion of the college football world.  We might as well not matter. 

Put yourselves in these young kids' shoes.  Would you have chosen Arkansas?

I don't think the people left the program.  I think the program left them in a lot of ways.  Especially in our recent history. 

pigmania

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on December 19, 2017, 02:58:46 pm
I guess you are proof that sometimes some people see other pasture as more fertile
The only thing Baylor is fertile with is hookers and Ho's. Guess if I was 18 again I'd sign with em too.

Earl

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 19, 2017, 02:55:52 pm
It's not too hard to figure out really...He didn't want to play in Bielema's system, so he looked elsewhere...developed a relationship with the Baylor coaches and 12 days of limited personal contact with a new coaching staff isn't enough to win someone over that's had their mind made up for a while. Chalk this one up to bad timing.

Not true. He wanted the staff to not except Conner Noland's commitment. He does not want to compete. That is why he is going to Baylor.

kennypig

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 19, 2017, 05:00:02 pm
Well not a boatload but Eric Mitchell and Danny Bradley.
Keith Jackson was a TE that turned down Arkansas to go to a school that didn't throw the ball. Eric Mitchel was my biggest disappointment of all. Unbelievable talent at QB. Would have re-written the record book for QB's at Arkansas. Instead, because Jamile Holloway was recruited by the QB coach at OU, Mitchel became a back up QB and RB during his career. If you find old film of him at OU, it's hard to believe he wasn't the starter. Both him and Bradley are from Pine Bluff. At the same time, our starting QB had one SWC offer out of high school, Arkansas. It's been a few years but this is what I remember.

SooieGeneris

Those who don't remember history...

Keith Jackson, Sr., Eric Mitchel, Phillip Dokes, there was a lineman named Webb who went to Michigan State, there are others from the 70s and 80s who were offered by the Hogs and went elsewhere.

Mark Hutson from Ft. Smith and Danny Bradley from PB also went to OU. Switzer and Pat Jones raided AR often in those days for OU and OSU..

Every HC since Broyles has talked as much as Trump about "building a wall" and none has been able to do it.

Nutt lost DeAngelo Williams, a couple of kids from Warren to TN, Mallett to Michigan, the Coleman kid from Jonesboro to TN and others.

Yes, I know that Mallett went to HS in TX, but his parents and family were from AR and his uncle David Burnette played for the Hogs.

I can't recall Ford losing too many from the state, but I'm probably omitting several.

This is not a new thing and I've been following recruiting since the days of Joe Ferguson, long before it was popular.

I always had a curiosity about where the players were coming from, never one to just root for whatever warm bodies showed up in the fall in a Hog uni.

I still recall the recruitment of Jerry Eckwood from Brinkley in the 70s. I lived not too far from there as a young man and had heard Eckwood's name from a route salesman who stopped at the grocery store next door to our home.

The guy was singing Eck's praises when he was a soph in HS when I was helping out at the store as a Junior.

If Eckwood had not hurt his back before his freshman year in college, he would have held all the rushing records at UA, IMO.

What bothers me more than losing a kid to an out of state school who has an offer from UA are the ones like Willie Roaf and the Dixon kid from Strong who didn't have an offer from us and excelled elsewhere.

I saw Roaf play basketball at PB and never figured out how we let him get away. He wasn't that good at roundball, but I expected him to be a good lineman at the college level with some added weight and strength.

I can't say I expected him to be an AA, 1st round pick and pro football HOFer, but kids like that getting away without so much as an offer from us is way worse than offering and the kid choosing to go elsewhere..

An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

factchecker

Quote from: GuvHog on December 19, 2017, 05:13:19 pm
There were 2 receivers from Warren and a Running back from Clarendon that chose Tennessee over Arkansas during the Fulmer era. Also a Fullback from West Memphis chose Ole Miss over Arkansas while Cutcliffe was Rebel HC.

How long ago was that - 20 years?

So this isn't a recent phenomenon.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

CaptainHog

He was a Big Fish in a very small pond...did not want to share the water with any other possible big fish.   He wanted to be told he was "The Guy" period...too immature to realize competition actually makes you better...

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on December 19, 2017, 05:14:07 pm
We have to be competitive again, plain and simple.  This past 6-years has seen us slide into the oblivion of the college football world.  We might as well not matter. 

Put yourselves in these young kids' shoes.  Would you have chosen Arkansas?

I don't think the people left the program.  I think the program left them in a lot of ways.  Especially in our recent history.

Where do you think 1-11 Baylor is?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Razoryak

AAU Basketball, USSSA Baseball, and blatant recruiting at the high school level has taught kids and parents to de-value hometown/home state loyalty.
Woo Pig

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 19, 2017, 05:29:02 pm
Where do you think 1-11 Baylor is?

yet they have a top 25 recruiting class..lol

kennypig

Quote from: factchecker on December 19, 2017, 05:25:57 pm
How long ago was that - 20 years?

So this isn't a recent phenomenon.

I'm pretty sure Eckwood signed with Arkansas in 1975, Mitchel signed with OU in 1985.
Eric Mitchel highlights you tube. He's #1. 

https://youtu.be/_GJfFLzu--k

#1 STUNNA

4/6 5* have signed with arkansas since 2000 from Arkansas
30/42 4* have signed since 2000 from Arkansas

factchecker

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 19, 2017, 05:33:57 pm

Great info.

We'd love to get 100% but that isn't too bad of a batting average when it comes to instate recruits.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

IronHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 19, 2017, 02:50:19 pm
I remember when I was growing up in the Delta, we always said I would walk to the Hill if the Hogs offered.  But since the 1990's we see more and more talent leaving the state for places like BAYLOR who finished 1-11 this year.  Something got to be done to change the hearts and minds of our HS players to think Ark first then if the Hogs don't call go somewhere else.

I lay all the Blame on the Earle kid on Hog Farmer .

You live in Texas
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

factchecker

Quote from: kennypig on December 19, 2017, 05:33:26 pm
I'm pretty sure Eckwood signed with Arkansas in 1975, Mitchel signed with OU in 1985.
Eric Mitchel highlights you tube. He's #1. 

https://youtu.be/_GJfFLzu--k

Yep.

So why are people acting like this is some kind of recent trend?

How did Jeff Long or the great stadium debate impact players leaving the state back in the 70's and 80s'?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Granny fan

Part of the problem is these high school kids want to start as a true freshman.  I know for a fact that one we lost was told he could start as a "true" freshman.  Now there is a big difference in could start versus would start, but 18 year olds hear what they want to hear.

jkstock04

I remember when I was growing up in the Delta, we always said I would walk to the Hill if the Hogs offered.  But since the 1990's we see more and more talent leaving the state for places like BAYLOR who finished 1-11 this year.  Something got to be done to change the hearts and minds of our HS players to think Ark first then if the Hogs don't call go somewhere else.

It's a real bad look I agree. When Arkansas is losing its top in state recruit to BAYLOR you know things have gone wrong perception wise. I agree...finger points towards the past 5-6 integrity/uncommon years.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

FATHAWG08

Danny Bradley
I love off season Football!!

hogginbama

Quote from: wildturkey8 on December 19, 2017, 03:02:44 pm
The last six years have hurt bad.

Gotta take it further back than 6 yrs. How many state #1 players have left to play elsewhere over the past 15-20 yrs? In Alabama, kids start playing pop warner ball dreaming of being a member of the Tide. That is developed in their minds day in and day out by family, friends and coaches. When the time comes, the offers are in, if there is one from Bama.....you can bet the house they pick the Tide. Arkansas folks just don't condition their kids that way. 
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 19, 2017, 05:59:18 pm
It's a real bad look I agree. When Arkansas is losing its top in state recruit to BAYLOR you know things have gone wrong perception wise. I agree...finger points towards the past 5-6 integrity/uncommon years.

Lets ignore the fact that the only people recruiting the kid at the position he wanted to play, QB, were IU, Mem, Baylor and maybe AR. SO the states top recruit was drawing interest from a doormat BIG10 team, a AAC team, and a BIg12 team that just went 1-11.

GB, the ATHLETE, may have been getting other offers, but GB the QB was getting next to nothing. That should tell you something.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PLHawg

I lived in Marion from '89 - '95, and as a Fort Smith native and lifelong Hog fan, found it unusual the disconnect between that part of the state and the U of A.  Like you didn't see anyone wearing Hog apparel, really wasn't talked about, etc.  It sure couldn't be blamed on the powerhouse that was Memphis football at that time, or for that matter ASU.  Like, if you live in that part of the state, the U of A might as well be an out of state school.  Obviously doesn't look like it's changed much.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 20, 2017, 10:08:32 am
Lets ignore the fact that the only people recruiting the kid at the position he wanted to play, QB, were IU, Mem, Baylor and maybe AR. SO the states top recruit was drawing interest from a doormat BIG10 team, a AAC team, and a BIg12 team that just went 1-11.

GB, the ATHLETE, may have been getting other offers, but GB the QB was getting next to nothing. That should tell you something.

Auburn wasn't all over him is all you need to know.  GM apparently learned his lesson.

Major project as a D1 QB.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Muleriderhog

When Arkansas has been trash for the majority of their lives excluding the 2 Petrino years it isn't hard to understand. I've lived here my entire life and if I was in their shoes as a top recruit there are several schools I'd go to over Arkansas. It's solely based on the fact we have been completely irrelevant for their entire lives.

HawgTrough

the only thing of relevance these kids have seen are a Sugar Bowl loss and a blown double digit SEC championship lead.
WPS

hogsanity

Quote from: PLHawg on December 20, 2017, 10:15:40 am
I lived in Marion from '89 - '95, and as a Fort Smith native and lifelong Hog fan, found it unusual the disconnect between that part of the state and the U of A.  Like you didn't see anyone wearing Hog apparel, really wasn't talked about, etc.  It sure couldn't be blamed on the powerhouse that was Memphis football at that time, or for that matter ASU.  Like, if you live in that part of the state, the U of A might as well be an out of state school.  Obviously doesn't look like it's changed much.

At the risk of being labeled, was their much connection to any college in that part of the state?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 19, 2017, 05:33:57 pm
I agree.  Those are good numbers when those kids are likely receiving offers from many other top programs.  Also, I realize we need to get as much of the top instate talent to the Hill as possible, but I'm most excited about the boost in recruiting from Texas we should see under CCM.  Depending on what recruiting site you look at, Texas has approximately 40 4* or better recruits THIS YEAR.  In 17 years, we have had less than 50. 

Our recruiting is about to improve.  Will we sign top 10 classes every year?  No.  But I think top 20-25 is doable if CCM's connections in Texas hold true.

hogsanity

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on December 20, 2017, 10:33:25 am

Our recruiting is about to improve.  Will we sign top 10 classes every year?  No.  But I think top 20-25 is doable if CCM's connections in Texas hold true.

So recruiting is going to be pretty much what it has been for at least the last 15 years, because 20-25 is right about where it usually is.

Pinto

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 19, 2017, 02:52:58 pm
I'm 26 (born in 91) so It's easier for me to understand where today's recruits are thinking. We didn't grow up in the SWC era, we didn't see Arkansas in legendary games. The Arkansas presence in South Arkansas has been almost non existent over the past decade. People my age and younger (for the most part) didn't grow up watching the hogs. My 1st Arkansas game was 2011 in war memorial during the smiley year. It has definitely improved in recent years, but as you can see from recruiting trends, we have a long way to go. I do believe morris is moving things in the right direction, but it will take time

This. And it goes a bit deeper than this as well...