Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happened to our State ?

Started by DeltaBoy, December 19, 2017, 02:50:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: hogsanity on December 21, 2017, 10:40:35 am
that south arkansas is still fighting the civil war has done more to harm that area than anything ever done by anyone else.
This a million times.

a0ashle

The internet has torn down many metaphorical walls. Where you were born and raised hardly defines who you are anymore. To younger generations, Arkansas is a place, not an identity.

AirWarren

Quote from: hogsanity on December 21, 2017, 11:22:24 am
No, just like someone who has moved past 1868.

To the far more impressive 2017.......

Kudos.

AirWarren

Quote from: hogsanity on December 21, 2017, 10:40:35 am
that south arkansas is still fighting the civil war has done more to harm that area than anything ever done by anyone else.

Thomas Robb of Boone County(Harrison is 74 miles east of "the motherland") says hello.

IronHog

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2017, 11:53:44 am
The internet has torn down many metaphorical walls. Where you were born and raised hardly defines who you are anymore. To younger generations, Arkansas is a place, not an identity.

Major problem in the world is no one has roots anymore
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

a0ashle

Quote from: IronHog on December 21, 2017, 04:10:56 pm

Major problem in the world is no one has roots anymore

Meh, we build up borders so we can have an "us" and a "them". "Roots" are just another way to separate.

Richard Davenport

Phillip Dokes, Leslie O'Neal, Keith Jackson, Eric Mitchel, Chet Winters are just a few from the 70's and 80's. Kids will leave the state.

IronHog

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2017, 04:21:37 pm
Meh, we build up borders so we can have an "us" and a "them". "Roots" are just another way to separate.

Globalist BS

a0ashle

IronHog

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2017, 05:50:53 pm
Another wall

All college football teams should be the fighting rainbows and hold hands

a0ashle

Quote from: IronHog on December 21, 2017, 05:52:50 pm

All college football teams should be the fighting rainbows and hold hands

No, just don't expect them to be loyal to arbitrary borders that you deem worthy.

IronHog

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2017, 05:55:33 pm
No, just don't expect them to be loyal to arbitrary borders that you deem worthy.

Then there is zero point

Tejano Jawg

Delta, you ask a good question. And there are some good answers (or attempts) here in this thread.

I'm old enough to believe in the "state pride" thing...I'm also ignorant to believe it still exists. Maybe players like Darren McFadden just don't come along often—elite talent with unshakeable dedication to the University of Arkansas.

Sure, plenty still have the Razorback red in their blood. But for others, we are just another school who get put on the runner-up list after signing day. The QB that signed with Baylor also did not sign with Alabama, Georgia, Louisville, or us. (Those schools are probably scratching their heads more than we are.)

The difference between us/Arkansas and other states/Texas/Louisiana/etc is the number of great players year to year. So when one leaves Arkansas, it's a bigger deal.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

IronHog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 21, 2017, 06:15:55 pm
Delta, you ask a good question. And there are some good answers (or attempts) here in this thread.

I'm old enough to believe in the "state pride" thing...I'm also ignorant to believe it still exists. Maybe players like Darren McFadden just don't come along often—elite talent with unshakeable dedication to the University of Arkansas.

Sure, plenty still have the Razorback red in their blood. But for others, we are just another school who get put on the runner-up list after signing day. The QB that signed with Baylor also did not sign with Alabama, Georgia, Louisville, or us. (Those schools are probably scratching their heads more than we are.)

The difference between us/Arkansas and other states/Texas/Louisiana/etc is the number of great players year to year. So when one leaves Arkansas, it's a bigger deal.

Mostly the universities and NWAs fault IMO

a0ashle

Quote from: IronHog on December 21, 2017, 06:13:15 pm

Then there is zero point

I don't follow. Arkansas recruits don't necessarily feel loyalty to state borders, but  neither do Texas and Louisiana recruits.

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

IronHog

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2017, 06:24:16 pm
I don't follow. Arkansas recruits don't necessarily feel loyalty to state borders, but  neither do Texas and Louisiana recruits.

Then why have LSU vs Arkansas

Lets dissolve all borders and group hug

IronHog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 21, 2017, 06:27:55 pm
How so?

We've covered that to death

Two counties cannot support a SEC program no matter how much corporate money it has

factchecker

Quote from: IronHog on December 21, 2017, 06:42:16 pm

Then why have LSU vs Arkansas

Lets dissolve all borders and group hug

LSU = Louisiana State University

Arkansas = The University of Arkansas

It's not about state pride.  It's about two college football teams representing their respective universities in a game.

You can't control where you were born or where your parents decided to raise you.  You do choose what university you attend and what athletic program you support.

Develop some real pride and move past this state pride nonsense.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

IronHog

Quote from: factchecker on December 21, 2017, 06:48:17 pm
LSU = Louisiana State University

Arkansas = The University of Arkansas

It's not about state pride.  It's about two college football teams representing their respective universities in a game.

You can't control where you were born or where your parents decided to raise you.  You do choose what university you attend and what athletic program you support.

Develop some real pride and move past this state pride nonsense.

Those toothless Cajuns have a rude awaking coming then 🙄

Memhogs

Win more games get more quality recruits simple as that.
Thats why they make chocolate and Vanilla, some folks like chocolate, and everyone else has bad taste.

jvanhorn

Quote from: IronHog on December 21, 2017, 10:56:56 am

But you think like an Yankee.

Sounds nice but actually doesn't mean anything.  Just a generality and basically profiling a group of people based on where they were born.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2017, 06:24:16 pm

There is state pride in all states but never the type of pride that would mean people should never leave that state.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on December 21, 2017, 06:43:40 pm
We've covered that to death

Two counties cannot support a SEC program no matter how much corporate money it has

So since I don't live in those two counties I'm not allowed to support them and attend games. Who knew. I've been sending money from Memphis and driving from it all theses years to attend games and didn't know I wasn't suppose too.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawganatic

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on December 19, 2017, 02:56:15 pm
I think it's clear he wanted to go somewhere that would hand him the starting role. That wasn't going to happen here

And here we go... High school kid makes a decision that grown adults don't like.  Grown adults proceed to demonize and vilify said high school kid.

I wish a lot of our fan base could actually act like adults and not throw tantrums every time something doesn't go our way.

a0ashle

Quote from: hawganatic on December 22, 2017, 08:59:03 am
And here we go... High school kid makes a decision that grown adults don't like.  Grown adults proceed to demonize and vilify said high school kid.

I wish a lot of our fan base could actually act like adults and not throw tantrums every time something doesn't go our way.

Either we love them, or we have to find reasons to hate them. There is no middle ground, or so it seems.

Inhogswetrust

a0ashle

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 22, 2017, 09:16:17 am
Because he hates them.

It's like he doesn't really have true state pride, since NWA is part of the state, but rather he picks/chooses/carves out what he is proud of by his own definition not someone else's , kinda like student athletes do.

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 22, 2017, 08:55:48 am
So since I don't live in those two counties I'm not allowed to support them and attend games. Who knew. I've been sending money from Memphis and driving from it all theses years to attend games and didn't know I wasn't suppose too.

There's been a big push the last few years to make it all about the University

Very few Arkansans have an attachment to the actual school.....just the football team.  That is slowly but steadily declining as well.

hogsanity

Quote from: a0ashle on December 22, 2017, 09:19:28 am
It's like he doesn't really have true state pride, since NWA is part of the state, but rather he picks/chooses/carves out what he is proud of by his own definition not someone else's , kinda like student athletes do.

I think Ironhog is a troll. No one can truly be as backwards about things as he is and still have electricity, let alone a internet connection.  All the NWA is da debil crap is just his schtik.

IF he is for real, he should be thankful for NWA because without it Arkansas would be dead last in everything good and 1st in everything bad in the US.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 22, 2017, 09:39:22 am
I think Ironhog is a troll. No one can truly be as backwards about things as he is and still have electricity, let alone a internet connection.  All the NWA is da debil crap is just his schtik.

IF he is for real, he should be thankful for NWA because without it Arkansas would be dead last in everything good and 1st in everything bad in the US.

Well when you get a billion dollars in subsidies it's easy to look good

Swestwill66

I can understand a 4 star qb wanting to go out of state where the odds of playing sooner are better. I can't understand a 4 star going to Bama or auburn never to be heard of again. If they stay at Arkansas there is a good chance of major playing time,becoming legends like D-Mac,Matt Jones,Mallet and many others.
      Picking up guys from other states like DeJon Harris who after committing to us gets Sabah's hard sell and says no thanks, we need guys like that! And instate guys like Agim who are all hog!

Go Hogs!!

TexHog188

When I was a kid in the 60's/70's, the Razorbacks were all you would get on local news, the papers, the barbershop, etc... maybe the occasional OU mention.  Today, with the explosion of media availability via internet, cable, satellite, message boards and the like, kids are exposed to many more options outside the razorbacks, thus expecting Arkansas kids to have only interest in the Hogs, and to follow them exclusively is unrealistic.  The success level of the Hogs over the past two decades also contributes to that. ESPN and others hype successful programs 24x7, but "disrespect" the hogs and other modestly successful programs through apathy towards them.  Winning is the only solution to this dynamic.  Arkansas MUST win consistently, top 10, top 5 sustained success to turn this around.  Arkansas must give kids a reason to choose the Hogs beyond just being THE local program.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody