Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happened to our State ?

Started by DeltaBoy, December 19, 2017, 02:50:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

I remember when I was growing up in the Delta, we always said I would walk to the Hill if the Hogs offered.  But since the 1990's we see more and more talent leaving the state for places like BAYLOR who finished 1-11 this year.  Something got to be done to change the hearts and minds of our HS players to think Ark first then if the Hogs don't call go somewhere else.

I lay all the Blame on the Earle kid on Hog Farmer .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I'm 26 (born in 91) so It's easier for me to understand where today's recruits are thinking. We didn't grow up in the SWC era, we didn't see Arkansas in legendary games. The Arkansas presence in South Arkansas has been almost non existent over the past decade. People my age and younger (for the most part) didn't grow up watching the hogs. My 1st Arkansas game was 2011 in war memorial during the smiley year. It has definitely improved in recent years, but as you can see from recruiting trends, we have a long way to go. I do believe morris is moving things in the right direction, but it will take time
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 19, 2017, 02:50:19 pm
I remember when I was growing up in the Delta, we always said I would walk to the Hill if the Hogs offered.  But since the 1990's we see more and more talent leaving the state for places like BAYLOR who finished 1-11 this year.  Something got to be done to change the hearts and minds of our HS players to think Ark first then if the Hogs don't call go somewhere else.

I guess too many yankees have poisoned the minds of your delta kids.

HillBillyHogfan

Delta Boy, don't you live in Texas?
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

010HogFan

It's not too hard to figure out really...He didn't want to play in Bielema's system, so he looked elsewhere...developed a relationship with the Baylor coaches and 12 days of limited personal contact with a new coaching staff isn't enough to win someone over that's had their mind made up for a while. Chalk this one up to bad timing.

WOOPIGDOOIE

I think it's clear he wanted to go somewhere that would hand him the starting role. That wasn't going to happen here

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on December 19, 2017, 02:55:48 pm
Delta Boy, don't you live in Texas?

Yes but it grieves my soul to see instate kids pass by an offer from the Hogs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hugo Bezdek

Nah. I remember losing a boatload of recruits to OU and OSU in the 80s. Arkansas has always gotten the lion's share of home grown talent, but we've never had coach who kept all of them home.

ChopSooie

GB and Baylor aside. Is it an issue that can be corrected?

HillBillyHogfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 19, 2017, 02:57:19 pm

I guess you are proof that sometimes some people see other pasture as more fertile
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

wildturkey8

The system was not insync with the high school programs of this state and the surrounding states.  It also appears that relationships have frayed over the years between the U of A and the high school programs around this state.  Morris has to repair this.  He's made a start with Ferrel and Bishop.  This recruiting season is far from over.  Let's get some Texas recruits to close this out.

Atlhogfan1

It happened in the 80s too.  Back then it was OU, Miami, Nebraska.  90s is when Tennessee became popular.  Then Auburn and Bama. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 19, 2017, 02:57:19 pm
Well then your soul has been grieving for years now. A player or two leaving the state is nothing new. Besides that thank goodness players CAN leave their state to play or the Hogs might not even be in a P5 conference.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RD

Bubba's Bruisers

We've largely been irrelevant during the 17 year lifespan of these recruits.  Wallowed in mediocrity.  Not exactly a portrait of promise.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

wildturkey8

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 19, 2017, 03:00:38 pm
Besides that thank goodness players CAN leave their state to play or the Hogs might not even be in a P5 conference.

EXACTLY
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Quote from: wildturkey8 on December 19, 2017, 03:02:44 pm
The last six years have hurt bad.

True but we got to get kids into thinking Hogs first.

hogsanity

This is not the 70's when there was one game a week on ABC on Sat afternoon, and the Hogs were either only on radio or maybe on tape delay on chan 7 in LR and 5 in FS. When people had to gather around the radio or read the paper for Hog news, and where we did not hear much about other teams unless it was the Hogs opponent for that week. Not an era when all of the Hogs conf opponents were from one state which made it easy just to hate a entire state.

No, this is an era where players are exposed to dozens of teams from the time they start caring to watch football. Where dozens of games are on tv every week, just about every day of the week has a college game.

I do find it ironic that someone who left the state, I guess to pursue their profession or greener pastures is grieved by kids choosing to do that in football.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

wildturkey8

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 19, 2017, 03:05:22 pm

True but we got to get kids into thinking Hogs first.
It will go a long way if we quit sucking on the field.

Boardon Hamsay

I blame Eddie in Clarksville for those that want to leave the state to go to college.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

cosmodrum

In this case, dude didn't want a scholarship QB in his class to compete against. Bye Bye.
Go away, batin'

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on December 19, 2017, 02:58:46 pm
I guess you are proof that sometimes some people see other pasture as more fertile

Not really but one time everyone I knew wanted to be a Hog.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 03:08:03 pm
This is not the 70's when there was one game a week on ABC on Sat afternoon, and the Hogs were either only on radio or maybe on tape delay on chan 7 in LR and 5 in FS. When people had to gather around the radio or read the paper for Hog news, and where we did not hear much about other teams unless it was the Hogs opponent for that week. Not an era when all of the Hogs conf opponents were from one state which made it easy just to hate a entire state.

No, this is an era where players are exposed to dozens of teams from the time they start caring to watch football. Where dozens of games are on tv every week, just about every day of the week has a college game.

I do find it ironic that someone who left the state, I guess to pursue their profession or greener pastures is grieved by kids choosing to do that in football.

My moving got nothing to do with my level of love for my state and the Hogs.

wildturkey8

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 19, 2017, 03:11:45 pm
In this case, dude didn't want a scholarship QB in his class to compete against. Bye Bye.
If this is true then we dodged a bullet.

farmhawg

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 19, 2017, 03:11:45 pm
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

DeltaBoy

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Hogarusa

You need to get over the "back in your days." Kids like to leave home. Every game is televised. Its easier for family to travel than ever before. Arkansas would be struggling for wins on a forever yearly basis if it wasnt for kids from out of state.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

LZH

Not a Razorback......later tater. Btw, don't come back to Arkansas looking for a job in ten years. Stay in Texas.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 19, 2017, 03:16:12 pm

My moving got nothing to do with my level of love for my state and the Hogs.

Do you go to all the home games?

Quote from: LZH on December 19, 2017, 03:20:24 pm
Not a Razorback......later tater. Btw, don't come back to Arkansas looking for a job in ten years. Stay in Texas.
Keith Jackson agrees.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

"The grass is greener" was good enough for your great, great, great, great grandaddy.! My guess is he would beat the overhauls right off of you if he heard what you just typed...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hogs33

Hog fans get so worked up where a 18 yr old kid chooses to go to college. It is getting comical. We sure do have that "small state" mentallity. I wish the best for the kids in all that they do ( except when they play the Hogs) and move on.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

The_Iceman

You can only play one QB at a time. We already have Noland committed.

HoggusMaximus

baby steps if ccm turns out to be the guy and he brings the hogs back then all will fall back  into place give it time

hoggusamoungus

I blame you for your Cloudy home boy Cedric Houston going to Tennessee.

elksnort

Seriously, if Indiana, Memphis, Baylor and current Arkansas team are your best serious offers, then you might not be that much of a loss.

Flrazrback

Hope Gerry does well at Baylor, we have Nolan committed and have talent behind him already on the team. QB is not going to be an area of weakness. WE GOOD

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: elksnort on December 19, 2017, 03:51:19 pm
Seriously, if Indiana, Memphis, Baylor and current Arkansas team are your best serious offers, then you might not be that much of a loss.

I think the list shows how much he wants to try to be a qb.  Would think the list would have been much better if not. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

LZH

Quote from: Karma on December 19, 2017, 03:23:26 pm
Keith Jackson agrees.

KJ bought his way back into good graces.

I've met him several times, and he's a nice man. But ask Eric Mitchell how 'coming home' worked out for him.

VirginiaHog

He wanted to be the only qb in the class. We have Noland already. He is instate also. Hard to get 2 great qbs from instate in one class. Noland will be amazing.

Piggfoot

Except for a kid from NWA whose parents went to Auburn and he followed them.
Most of the  kids that leave the state are Afro-Americans. Few of these kids have parents who attended the UofA so there is no help there.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 19, 2017, 02:59:56 pm
It happened in the 80s too.  Back then it was OU, Miami, Nebraska.  90s is when Tennessee became popular.  Then Auburn and Bama. 
Yep. And in the 70s Switzer was known to cherry pick one every once in a while.

Rudy Baylor

The Hogfather

The "studs" get paid and think they need to "provide for their family".  They all fizzle out and end up as washed up has beens in the end.  Very few leave the state and kill it.  Sounds like Bohanon was afraid of competition, so I'm thinking he'll end up being a dud (unless he possibly switches positions).

swineology

Jeff Long was fired, now you have 2 Texans running the show.

You got your wish deal with it

onebadrubi

there has been a civil war since you were growing up on the delta.  Things have changed and we now have a ship being captained by two Texas guys. 

People screamed for Texas recruiting.  We've got it now.  Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

userpick

I was wondering what was wrong with our state the entire time I watched the live video of his signing. Looked like a Ja Rule music video in there.