Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First time trout fishing.

Started by OldCoot, February 02, 2014, 04:10:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 29, 2014, 05:57:38 pm
Damn this is making me homesick. My favorite way to cook trout is to smoke them.  Gut 'em and leave the head and skin on.  Then stuff the cavity with dressing and wrap with bacon.  I like popcorn shrimp and butter with seasoning from the cabinet for the dressing, maybe a little onion and celery. Smoke until done. 

I'm sick of Tennessee.  There's trout here, but they ain't the same.

I'll have to give your method a try. Wrap it up and move back to The Natural State!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

pigture perfect

Green 4lb Mono-line is just as effective as 2lb clear line. I Am going to go fishing in the next week because of reading this thread. I've got to have a day off.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ATU HOG

Cranking this one back up.  I'm trying to do a lot of trout fishing this summer.  Used to go as a kid and have been a few times this year, on the white near the the Beaver Dam and at Roaring River.  Had some success but not as much as I'd like because they are usually generating the white whenever I decide to go. 

Where are some other spots y'all like to go around the Northwest Arkansas area?

oldman1015

Quote from: ATU HOG on June 13, 2016, 08:09:03 pm
Cranking this one back up.  I'm trying to do a lot of trout fishing this summer.  Used to go as a kid and have been a few times this year, on the white near the the Beaver Dam and at Roaring River.  Had some success but not as much as I'd like because they are usually generating the white whenever I decide to go. 

Where are some other spots y'all like to go around the Northwest Arkansas area?
roaring river is a great place. 4lb camo line from the park store and an orange worm.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

ATU HOG

Quote from: oldman1015 on June 14, 2016, 11:31:09 am
roaring river is a great place. 4lb camo line from the park store and an orange worm.
I've had decent success out there.  I've used Orange Powerbait though.  Feel like those fish have seen everything in the book

jrulz83

My advice is get and learn how to use a fly rod. It's a beautiful thing when you figure it out. I've caught about everything that swims in Arkansas on a fly rod, so don't limit the fly fishing to trout. Bass and bream in small creeks and ponds with a 4wt outfit is as much fun as can be had standing up.

Before anybody says it, it's not expensive to get into. It's like anything else, you can spend as much or as little as you like and have a serviceable rig. My current favorite is a St. Croix outfit that cost about $180, that's for everything you need but flies. I have a <$50 outfit that I enjoy just about as well. I have some more expensive stuff, and it's nice, but I can no longer justify a $600 fly rod for my needs. It hurts too much when it inevitably gets dinged up on a rock or something.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

mountainhog

If you need a guide on the white or norfork river, call Cranors guide service.  He is an independent.  He also just fished Bill Dance on a trip to norfork.  It was on the outdoor channel a few months back.  If you need his number , PM me. 

ATU HOG

Went this morning.  Caught a white bass on an orange rooster tail, no trout today.  Wasn't the best luck for me, lost a lot of tackle.  Gonna go again this week and fish closer to the dam.

OldCoot

When I was at Henderson in the early 90's my frat brothers would head out down to around Murferresboro I think.  Where are trout around there?  Little Red? Strawberry?  I can't remember.

jrulz83

Quote from: OldCoot on June 20, 2016, 04:08:21 pm
When I was at Henderson in the early 90's my frat brothers would head out down to around Murferresboro I think.  Where are trout around there?  Little Red? Strawberry?  I can't remember.

Little Missouri River
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.