Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nick Saban coaching staff

Started by 12247, December 09, 2016, 07:31:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I thought I saw this on Hogville a couple of days ago.  Perhaps I found this and read it somewhere else.  If already posted, please cancel this.

If you want to know where the money is going in college sports, then google: The ever Expanding College Football Coaching Staff and how Nick Saban started it all.   This is a must read article.  I never realized just how big the additional assistants is.

98hogs

Hoggish1

I think all the power 5 teams should hire as many coaches as possible. Actually there should be one for every player; perhaps even two or three...

Sooie71923

Asst coaches hate Saban so much they would do anything to work for him.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 12247 on December 09, 2016, 07:31:35 pm
I thought I saw this on Hogville a couple of days ago.  Perhaps I found this and read it somewhere else.  If already posted, please cancel this.

If you want to know where the money is going in college sports, then google: The ever Expanding College Football Coaching Staff and how Nick Saban started it all.   This is a must read article.  I never realized just how big the additional assistants is.

MOST of his staff are not coaching. NCAA rules only allow a certain number of coaches actually coaching.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Pork-n-Boots

Actually Saban seems to retain assistants at a much longer rate at Alabama than he did at LSU. Kirby Smart stayed with him at Bama for 9 years & his running backs coach (Burns) has been with him his entire tenure at Bama. He may be a tough head coach to work for, but those coaches wouldn't have stayed as long as they have if he were the tyrant that many portray him to be.

Coaching staffs do need some turnover at times to bring in some new blood & guard against complacency. Judging by the results, I'd say Saban has handled his staff better than any head coach in CFB.

Sed76

You tend to put up with a lot when you are getting paid and winning rings. Leave, big deal like Kirby Smart. He was credited as this super great defensive coach and what happens when he leaves...they put a even better defense on the field. You would have to really suck to not be able to do anything with all the talent Alabama stockpiles.

greenie

Quote from: Sed76 on December 10, 2016, 11:17:45 am
You tend to put up with a lot when you are getting paid and winning rings. Leave, big deal like Kirby Smart. He was credited as this super great defensive coach and what happens when he leaves...they put a even better defense on the field. You would have to really suck to not be able to do anything with all the talent Alabama stockpiles.

I agree.  I think it's difficult to measure the coaching ability of anyone on that staff, outside of Saban.  The guy knows how to recruit, organize, and lead.  Urban Meyer is another example of great program management.  I'm much more impressed with the pure X&O's coaching of someone like Chris Petersen who does a lot with not much talent.