Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3-2 zone

Started by b-ball coach, March 24, 2014, 10:46:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

b-ball coach

We haven't scored since Cal got out of man. 3-2 zone attack is worst I've seen. It's like we don't have any offensive clue of how to attack the 3-2. Wow what a disappointment, set play out of to?

Hogfan1660

We have never scored on a zone defense!!! This is Ridiculous!

code red

Quote from: b-ball coach on March 24, 2014, 10:46:11 pm
We haven't scored since Cal got out of man. 3-2 zone attack is worst I've seen. It's like we don't have any offensive clue of how to attack the 3-2. Wow what a disappointment, set play out of to?
I agree but really?  Zone has killed us all year.  Ole Miss was an anomaly.  We are poorly coached period.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Sooie71923

It wouldn't matter if the defense sat on their hands and let Arkansas get open shots... If you can't make your shots, it doesnt matter what the d does

The Boar War

Quote from: code red on March 24, 2014, 11:36:38 pm
I agree but really?  Zone has killed us all year.  Ole Miss was an anomaly.  We are poorly coached period.

It doesn't take a genius to break down a zone.  Unfortunately we don't have a point guard and we aren't hitting our outside shots. 

b-ball coach

To all the armchair coaches on this forum- the 3-2 can be very tough to attack. Especially without a great high post and some dribble drive. All zones hurt us but we dribble to death, which exacerbates struggles vs the 3 front.  Our 2 guard attack is the right front vs the 3-2- we are just bad in our understanding of the attack areas.

Dr. Starcs

^^^^^

And that blame lies with...???

Kevin

2 front zone offense. With a runner going corner to corner with a post on ball side block, other side post flash middle.   
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawgfan4life

We are getting wide open shots!  Inside and out!  Zone has nothing to do with it unless the strategy was give every possible shooter wide open shots playing the odds we would shoot 15%.

flynhog

No reason to come out of the zone if we can't hit 3's.  Or lay ups for that matter.  Next year will be better.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

hogman99

You attack the 3-2 zone at the high post and run your offense from there.  That defense was setup perfect for us to put Portis at high post and Kingsley at low post.  Those 2 could have scored at will and then the rest of the team would have relaxed and would have started to knock down open 3's. 

I lost count after 15 the number of times the high post was wide open, but we never threw the ball there.  CMA should have made them throw it to high post before a shot was taken.  The assistant coaches can keep track of when it was open and a pass was not thrown in there. Then after a dead ball that player would be taken out and explained why he was and then put back it. Rinse and repeat until they get it, that is called coaching.

The best thing about this is it can be taught very easily to Division 1 players.  I get tired of hearing "wait til Mike gets better players".

razorhogLR

Quote from: hogman99 on March 25, 2014, 11:38:10 am
You attack the 3-2 zone at the high post and run your offense from there.  That defense was setup perfect for us to put Portis at high post and Kingsley at low post.  Those 2 could have scored at will and then the rest of the team would have relaxed and would have started to knock down open 3's. 

I lost count after 15 the number of times the high post was wide open, but we never threw the ball there.  CMA should have made them throw it to high post before a shot was taken.  The assistant coaches can keep track of when it was open and a pass was not thrown in there. Then after a dead ball that player would be taken out and explained why he was and then put back it. Rinse and repeat until they get it, that is called coaching.

There were several times I saw Kingsley get into the high post calling for the ball and not getting it.  One time, I think in the first half, he was visibly disgusted that he did not get the ball.  I'm sure I was too.

hogman99

Quote from: razorhogLR on March 25, 2014, 11:40:47 am
There were several times I saw Kingsley get into the high post calling for the ball and not getting it.  One time, I think in the first half, he was visibly disgusted that he did not get the ball.  I'm sure I was too.

I saw that too, it was quite frustrating.   

Rbill

Quote from: b-ball coach on March 24, 2014, 11:49:14 pm
To all the armchair coaches on this forum- the 3-2 can be very tough to attack. Especially without a great high post and some dribble drive. All zones hurt us but we dribble to death, which exacerbates struggles vs the 3 front.  Our 2 guard attack is the right front vs the 3-2- we are just bad in our understanding of the attack areas.

I'm confused. You start out by addressing armchair coaches like they are wrong for talking about our ineptitude against the zone, and then proceed to say what most of us are saying in that the problem is a very specific lack of player personnel coupled with the possibility of lack of proper coaching adjustments.