Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How I expect the season to play out, game by game.

Started by Deep Shoat, June 29, 2017, 04:50:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RME

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on June 30, 2017, 11:54:21 pm
Keep cherry picking those stats.

Keep running away from facts.

Arkansas since 2013: 25 wins
Mississippi State since 2013: 32 wins

Head-to-head since 2013: Missisippi State 3, Arkansas 1

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on June 30, 2017, 08:23:40 pm
Sorry, but I'm not buying that we should fear Missouri, even if they do have more wins since 2007. If anything, it shows how bad our football program has been if Missouri has had more success.

I think that is where you are missing the point. No one is saying that we are afraid of Missouri...not sure how you came to that conclusion. All I am saying and what I think others are trying to say is that Missouri has a good program and they have proven that they can play at a high level and in the last few years they have won more than we have. Those are just facts. It doesn't mean anyone is scared of them or afraid of them, we just aren't overlooking facts and we should give them their due and then hopefully, the Hogs will beat their butts in November. I believe that they will this season.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

July 01, 2017, 07:43:33 am #53 Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:58:16 am by MuskogeeHogFan
By the way, for those that think that TCU may beat the Hogs this season, there was this report from ESPN after the TCU spring game. Now I know it was just a spring game and that may have nothing to do with how he performs in the fall, but I still found this description of Hill's performance interesting.

TCU redshirt senior QB Kenny Hill completed 3-of-9 passes for 15 yards and two interceptions in the team's spring game.

Oh dear, this was a poor showing for Hill, but more than that, it was simply a dirge-like performance for the TCU offense on the whole. They failed to score on 15-of-16 possessions.

Horned Frogs HC Gary Patterson addressed both of Hill's interceptions, saying, "One was a good play (by the defense). The other one, he just threw it to us. We've got to be better than that."

Hill led the Big 12 in interceptions with 13 this past season and decision-making remains an issue in his game, but he will be the likely starter come the open of the 2017 season unless the wheels completely fall off in August.
May 7 - 2:36 PM
Source: ESPN.com
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

Deep Shoat almost hits a home run with this only missing the LSU win 28-24...

Hoggish1

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on June 30, 2017, 08:36:13 am
I don't think we shut out Ole Miss and I think we'll lose to Alabama by more than three points. LSU will beat us by more than four. I also don't feel good about the Auburn game and any kind of revenge. Just my opinion.

Dead beat...

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 01, 2017, 12:11:36 am
Keep running away from facts.

Arkansas since 2013: 25 wins
Mississippi State since 2013: 32 wins

Head-to-head since 2013: Missisippi State 3, Arkansas 1

Since 2000: Arkansas 121 wins
                  Miss State 105 wins

See, I can do it too.

GuvHog

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 01, 2017, 08:34:45 am
                  Miss State 105 wins

See, I can do it too.

Yes, you certainly can but his stats include only the records of current coaches at both schools which is far more relevant.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 01, 2017, 10:25:50 am
Yes, you certainly can but his stats include only the records of current coaches at both schools which is far more relevant.

And there is the problem. There's too many variables to consider when comparing records, such as SOS, coaching changes, player experience, etc.

Did Miss State have a first year HC in 2013 like Arkansas did? Did Miss State have a complete philosophical and schematic rebuild like Arkansas did? See, far too many things to consider.

I think Arkansas will beat Miss State in 2017.

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 01, 2017, 07:28:35 am
I think that is where you are missing the point. No one is saying that we are afraid of Missouri...not sure how you came to that conclusion. All I am saying and what I think others are trying to say is that Missouri has a good program and they have proven that they can play at a high level and in the last few years they have won more than we have. Those are just facts. It doesn't mean anyone is scared of them or afraid of them, we just aren't overlooking facts and we should give them their due and then hopefully, the Hogs will beat their butts in November. I believe that they will this season.

Yep, I don't fear them, I am just ready to restore order and start beating them more than they beat us.

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 01, 2017, 07:43:33 am
By the way, for those that think that TCU may beat the Hogs this season, there was this report from ESPN after the TCU spring game. Now I know it was just a spring game and that may have nothing to do with how he performs in the fall, but I still found this description of Hill's performance interesting.

TCU redshirt senior QB Kenny Hill completed 3-of-9 passes for 15 yards and two interceptions in the team's spring game.

Oh dear, this was a poor showing for Hill, but more than that, it was simply a dirge-like performance for the TCU offense on the whole. They failed to score on 15-of-16 possessions.

Horned Frogs HC Gary Patterson addressed both of Hill's interceptions, saying, "One was a good play (by the defense). The other one, he just threw it to us. We've got to be better than that."

Hill led the Big 12 in interceptions with 13 this past season and decision-making remains an issue in his game, but he will be the likely starter come the open of the 2017 season unless the wheels completely fall off in August.

That pick 6 he threw to brooks ellis was a beauty :)

gchamblee

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 01, 2017, 12:15:37 pm
And there is the problem. There's too many variables to consider when comparing records, such as SOS, coaching changes, player experience, etc.

Did Miss State have a first year HC in 2013 like Arkansas did? Did Miss State have a complete philosophical and schematic rebuild like Arkansas did? See, far too many things to consider.

I think Arkansas will beat Miss State in 2017.

People bring up state and it makes me laugh. im sure you guys watched the cowboys play last year and saw that dak was actually a badass. the 2015 game that we lost because we had a fg get blocked was a great game, one that i watch on replay from time to time just because it was such an amazing game. losing that game did not then, and does not now bother me. both teams played great. it is what i hope to see in a football game every time i watch one. mullen got to accumulate a nice win/loss record while he had dak. will the new guy be as good? i doubt it. in last years game he looked good at times, but we still set a school record on offense against that defense.

Al Boarland

Quote from: gchamblee on July 01, 2017, 12:37:31 pm
People bring up state and it makes me laugh. im sure you guys watched the cowboys play last year and saw that dak was actually a badass. the 2015 game that we lost because we had a fg get blocked was a great game, one that i watch on replay from time to time just because it was such an amazing game. losing that game did not then, and does not now bother me. both teams played great. it is what i hope to see in a football game every time i watch one. mullen got to accumulate a nice win/loss record while he had dak. will the new guy be as good? i doubt it. in last years game he looked good at times, but we still set a school record on offense against that defense.

They have a new DC and hogville logic says that fixes everything.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gchamblee on July 01, 2017, 12:37:31 pm

Fitzgerald is a big boy at 6-5 (3 inches taller than Dak Prescott), 230 but he can run. He averaged 15 rushing att/gm last year averaging right at 106 yards and almost 1.25 TD's p/gm. Being a dual threat, like most DT QB's, he isn't as strong of a passer completing 54% of his passes LY for 186 yards and 1.6 TD's but just .77 INT's P/Gm. Still, he is a pretty nifty QB that has the potential to take over a game if allowed to do so.

Miss State's defense gave up more yards per game last year than ours did, 459.1 p/gm. The hiring of Todd Grantham should bode well for the future. His last 3 defenses at Louisville all ranked in the top 20 in total defense. How much of an impact he will have in his first year as the DC is still unknown but for the longer term, they should improve in Starksville. Ironically enough, his predecessor at Miss St. was hired as the DC at Louisville, taking Grantham's place over there.

I think that we will beat Miss State again this coming season but State won't go quietly into the night. Should be a competitive game.
Go Hogs Go!

RME

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 01, 2017, 08:34:45 am
                  Miss State 105 wins

See, I can do it too.

Yeah, 17 years and multiple head coaches at both schools is a much more representative than the last 4 seasons with the same coach at each school. You got me.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 01, 2017, 05:08:55 pm
Yeah, 17 years and multiple head coaches at both schools is a much more representative than the last 4 seasons with the same coach at each school. You got me.

The last four seasons isn't even a good representative. As I've said before, 2013 was Bielema's first year of a massive rebuild, while it was Mullen's fifth year. Big, big difference. Yeah, I did get you.

Keep trying.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: gchamblee on July 01, 2017, 12:31:33 pm
Yep, I don't fear them, I am just ready to restore order and start beating them more than they beat us.

That's what I'm saying, restore order and beat the Missouri's and Miss State's like we should. It's all on Bielema.

gchamblee

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 01, 2017, 05:08:55 pm

as stated before, lets see how this plays out now that dak is gone. im sure the numbers will not reflect what you want them to reflect. now sit down shiela, you're annoying.

gchamblee

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 01, 2017, 07:30:07 pm
That's what I'm saying, restore order and beat the Missouri's and Miss State's like we should. It's all on Bielema.

no, you and i do not agree so quit pretending that we do. you refuse to acknowledge what  a badass dak was and want to use it as ammunition on your anti cbb tirade. you and i are not even in the same book, let alone on the same page.

mizzouman

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on June 30, 2017, 06:53:04 pm
As FANS we don't give a shite about Mizzery, you're just another game. Of course, the coaches and players should take the game serious, as they should treat every game. Has Mizzery had more success than Arkansas since 2007? I'd like to argue that.
Give me your best argument

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: gchamblee on July 01, 2017, 09:24:38 pm
no, you and i do not agree so quit pretending that we do. you refuse to acknowledge what  a badass dak was and want to use it as ammunition on your anti cbb tirade. you and i are not even in the same book, let alone on the same page.

I'm a Bielema supporter, bro. However, giving up late leads that end up losing the game has to fall at Bielema's feet. Dak was good, where did I say he wasn't?

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: mizzouman on July 01, 2017, 10:11:11 pm

It's already been discussed. Now, go to your own team's board.

hogfan14

Quote from: mizzouman on July 01, 2017, 10:11:11 pm

I do get a little annoyed when people turn their nose up at Missouri on here. I mean we may be the better program historically and the rivalry may feel forced but Missouri does have five 10+ win seasons and five division titles in the last 10 years, even if the divisions weren't great. Pinkel had a damn good run there. You may be inconsistent year to year but so are we.

gchamblee

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 01, 2017, 11:23:50 pm
I'm a Bielema supporter, bro. However, giving up late leads that end up losing the game has to fall at Bielema's feet. Dak was good, where did I say he wasn't?

I confused you with someone else. I do apologize for the attitude response.

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 01, 2017, 03:18:21 pm
Fitzgerald is a big boy at 6-5 (3 inches taller than Dak Prescott), 230 but he can run. He averaged 15 rushing att/gm last year averaging right at 106 yards and almost 1.25 TD's p/gm. Being a dual threat, like most DT QB's, he isn't as strong of a passer completing 54% of his passes LY for 186 yards and 1.6 TD's but just .77 INT's P/Gm. Still, he is a pretty nifty QB that has the potential to take over a game if allowed to do so.

Miss State's defense gave up more yards per game last year than ours did, 459.1 p/gm. The hiring of Todd Grantham should bode well for the future. His last 3 defenses at Louisville all ranked in the top 20 in total defense. How much of an impact he will have in his first year as the DC is still unknown but for the longer term, they should improve in Starksville. Ironically enough, his predecessor at Miss St. was hired as the DC at Louisville, taking Grantham's place over there.

I think that we will beat Miss State again this coming season but State won't go quietly into the night. Should be a competitive game.

Dak wasn't a consistent passer until his last two seasons. Really his last season.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2017, 05:44:59 am
Dak wasn't a consistent passer until his last two seasons. Really his last season.

If by posting that you are trying to project that Fitzgerald will become a better passing QB the older and more experienced that he becomes, yeah that is a reasonable assumption. He should. I'm not sure that he will make that great of a jump this season but at 6-5 and 230, I'm sure the NFL is paying attention and if he has any notion of playing QB at the next level, he will have to focus more on showcasing his ability to excel in throwing the ball, more than running the ball.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 01, 2017, 07:43:33 am

When you look closely at both teams, TCU/Arkansas may come down to which QB has the best day.  Here's a link to CFN's 2017 TCU Preview:

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/tcu-horned-frogs-preview-2017

Here's an excerpt:

What You Need To Know About The TCU Offense

It was good, just inconsistent. It needs to be explosive again, it needs to be able to keep up the pace and crank out more long drives, and it needs to be able to score. Last year's TCU attack managed to score 24 points or fewer in six of the last eight games, only beating Kansas in the stretch.

The pieces are there and the experience is in place, but now it's up to the offensive coordinator tandem of Sonny Cumbie and Curtis Luper to fire up the machine to 2014 levels again.

It's up to QB Kenny Hill to help make everything work. Great at times last season, he ran for ten scores and did a nice job of pushing the ball down the field, but there were too many interceptions and too many missed third down opportunities. Combine that with a rough time in the red zone, and TCU wasn't able to manufacture points without a struggle.

Trouble scoring down the stretch?  Red zone problems?  Too many interceptions?  Looking at the entire preview, TCU and Arkansas are almost mirror images.  Other offensive similarities include experienced O-lines anchored by an all-star center.  On defense, both teams lost key players up front and return experienced secondaries. 

The biggest differences in the two teams appear to be TCU's experienced LB and receiving corps and a senior running who rushed for over 1,000 in 2016.  Add that to a QB with 10 rushing TDs in 2016 and Arkansas's troubles last year with running QBs, and it's understandable that TCU is an early 6 point favorite in Fayetteville.  But that could turn out to be a superficial look at the matchup.

The wild cards in the TCU game may be Paul Rhoads, Arkansas's switch to the 3-4, and the Hogs' young talent in the front 7.  Rhoads took over as DC at Pittsburgh in 2001 and immediately led the Panthers to its best defensive performance in 20 years.  They were ranked in the top 30 nationally in 5 categories and had 38 sacks.  Sporting News named Rhoads the best DC in the Big East in 2006.  He coached four games against TCU at Iowa State.  In 2012, TCU's first year in the Big 12, ISU upset then 15th ranked TCU 37-23.  Rhoads was 1-3 against TCU, but two of those losses were to Trevone Boykin led teams.  Rhoads will have much better talent at Arkansas than he had at ISU, and he's seen TCU's offense now 5 years in a row.  In contrast, TCU will have very little to watch when it comes to the way Arkansas will attack in its 3-4.  Patterson has the experience against Rhoads, but how valuable will that be when he is at Arkansas?  TCU also has little to watch when it comes to the way the Razorbacks' young, but very talented, front 7 will play.  How fast will Sosa Agim come off the edge in Arkansas's new attacking scheme?  Will Bijhon Jackson finally be the beast he was forecast to be in high school?  Jackson is the protypical 3-4 nose playing for a big payday in the NFL draft.  Everyone knows Dre Greenlaw is a player, but what about De'jon Harris and Jamario Bell, two highly ranked and highly recruited players in high school?  Saban went hard after Harris late.  The reason is that Saban realized Harris is a football player.    Randy Ramsey is long, fast, has a couple of years of maturity, and is built for the 3-4 OLB position.  How much will these young players benefit from the adrenaline generated by 75,000 Razorbacks fans?

Will Kenny Hill be rattled by the Razorbacks crowd?  He had some pretty good games last year on the road.  Will the home crowd restore Austin Allen's calm under pressure after he threw five interceptions in two disappointing road games to end 2016?  I think the answer is "yes", and "yes".  Arkansas beats TCU in a great game or going away on the strength of a rejuvenated defense and Austin Allen's arm. 

A victory over TCU triggers wins against A&M in Dallas and South Carolina in Columbia.  CFN sees this in "Realistic Best Case Scenario":

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/arkansas-razorbacks-football-schedule-analysis

Works for me!

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 02, 2017, 12:11:10 pm
When you look closely at both teams, TCU/Arkansas may come down to which QB has the best day.  Here's a link to CFN's 2017 TCU Preview:

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/tcu-horned-frogs-preview-2017

Here's an excerpt:

What You Need To Know About The TCU Offense

It was good, just inconsistent. It needs to be explosive again, it needs to be able to keep up the pace and crank out more long drives, and it needs to be able to score. Last year's TCU attack managed to score 24 points or fewer in six of the last eight games, only beating Kansas in the stretch.

The pieces are there and the experience is in place, but now it's up to the offensive coordinator tandem of Sonny Cumbie and Curtis Luper to fire up the machine to 2014 levels again.

It's up to QB Kenny Hill to help make everything work. Great at times last season, he ran for ten scores and did a nice job of pushing the ball down the field, but there were too many interceptions and too many missed third down opportunities. Combine that with a rough time in the red zone, and TCU wasn't able to manufacture points without a struggle.

Trouble scoring down the stretch?  Red zone problems?  Too many interceptions?  Looking at the entire preview, TCU and Arkansas are almost mirror images.  Other offensive similarities include experienced O-lines anchored by an all-star center.  On defense, both teams lost key players up front and return experienced secondaries. 

The biggest differences in the two teams appear to be TCU's experienced LB and receiving corps and a senior running who rushed for over 1,000 in 2016.  Add that to a QB with 10 rushing TDs in 2016 and Arkansas's troubles last year with running QBs, and it's understandable that TCU is an early 6 point favorite in Fayetteville.  But that could turn out to be a superficial look at the matchup.

The wild cards in the TCU game may be Paul Rhoads, Arkansas's switch to the 3-4, and the Hogs' young talent in the front 7.  Rhoads took over as DC at Pittsburgh in 2001 and immediately led the Panthers to its best defensive performance in 20 years.  They were ranked in the top 30 nationally in 5 categories and had 38 sacks.  Sporting News named Rhoads the best DC in the Big East in 2006.  He coached four games against TCU at Iowa State.  In 2012, TCU's first year in the Big 12, ISU upset then 15th ranked TCU 37-23.  Rhoads was 1-3 against TCU, but two of those losses were to Trevone Boykin led teams.  Rhoads will have much better talent at Arkansas than he had at ISU, and he's seen TCU's offense now 5 years in a row.  In contrast, TCU will have very little to watch when it comes to the way Arkansas will attack in its 3-4.  Patterson has the experience against Rhoads, but how valuable will that be when he is at Arkansas?  TCU also has little to watch when it comes to the way the Razorbacks' young, but very talented, front 7 will play.  How fast will Sosa Agim come off the edge in Arkansas's new attacking scheme?  Will Bijhon Jackson finally be the beast he was forecast to be in high school?  Jackson is the protypical 3-4 nose playing for a big payday in the NFL draft.  Everyone knows Dre Greenlaw is a player, but what about De'jon Harris and Jamario Bell, two highly ranked and highly recruited players in high school?  Saban went hard after Harris late.  The reason is that Saban realized Harris is a football player.    Randy Ramsey is long, fast, has a couple of years of maturity, and is built for the 3-4 OLB position.  How much will these young players benefit from the adrenaline generated by 75,000 Razorbacks fans?

Will Kenny Hill be rattled by the Razorbacks crowd?  He had some pretty good games last year on the road.  Will the home crowd restore Austin Allen's calm under pressure after he threw five interceptions in two disappointing road games to end 2016?  I think the answer is "yes", and "yes".  Arkansas beats TCU in a great game or going away on the strength of a rejuvenated defense and Austin Allen's arm. 

A victory over TCU triggers wins against A&M in Dallas and South Carolina in Columbia.  CFN sees this in "Realistic Best Case Scenario":

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/arkansas-razorbacks-football-schedule-analysis

Works for me!

TCU returns most of their offense and defense except for their D-Line where they lose 3 starters and across the board in Tackles, TFL, Sacks, PBU's and INT's, they lose about 50% of their production from last year and 78% of their career starts.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2017, 12:49:33 pm
TCU returns most of their offense and defense except for their D-Line where they lose 3 starters and across the board in Tackles, TFL, Sacks, PBU's and INT's, they lose about 50% of their production from last year and 78% of their career starts.

Yeah, they return 8 starters from a defense that struggled some last year after their all everything DC retired the year before. They haven't been the same on defense since he retired.

RME

Quote from: gchamblee on July 01, 2017, 09:24:38 pm

Per your response that you meant this for someone else, I'm assuming it was me. I'm not anti-Bielema. Go back through my post history and you'll see that. Or ignore factual posts that I've made. Dak is a great football player. Fitzgerald could be similar. I think Mullen is a great coach. Hard to argue otherwise.

My point was that over the last 4 years, Mississippi State has been better than we have. If you disagree, then you disagree with facts and hard numbers, including win totals. Go ahead, "Sheila," continue to shun legitimate data.

At the time of the Bielema hire I was stoked. A guy who had done what he'd done at Wisconsin? Yes please. Has his luster worn off a little bit, yeah it has. No doubt about it. But me wanting Bielema to fail means I want the football team to fail. That's not how I work, but continue to come after me, boyo.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 02, 2017, 02:15:36 pm
Per your response that you meant this for someone else, I'm assuming it was me. I'm not anti-Bielema. Go back through my post history and you'll see that. Or ignore factual posts that I've made. Dak is a great football player. Fitzgerald could be similar. I think Mullen is a great coach. Hard to argue otherwise.

My point was that over the last 4 years, Mississippi State has been better than we have. If you disagree, then you disagree with facts and hard numbers, including win totals. Go ahead, "Sheila," continue to shun legitimate data.

At the time of the Bielema hire I was stoked. A guy who had done what he'd done at Wisconsin? Yes please. Has his luster worn off a little bit, yeah it has. No doubt about it. But me wanting Bielema to fail means I want the football team to fail. That's not how I work, but continue to come after me, boyo.

Bielema is a heckuva coach and a good man, in my opinion and my interaction with him. But I do think that he underestimated what it would take to be successful more quickly in the SEC compared to the Big Ten.
Go Hogs Go!

RME

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2017, 03:40:01 pm
Bielema is a heckuva coach and a good man, in my opinion and my interaction with him. But I do think that he underestimated what it would take to be successful more quickly in the SEC compared to the Big Ten.

I don't disagree, and as I said I'm a fan of the guy. Anyone who wants our football coach to fail is essentially wishing ill on the team as a whole. That's absurd.

People raised hell about the Being Bret Bielema series, I loved it. Showed what a normal guy he is in his day to day activities. My junior year at U of A was the year he was hired, and it kinda came out of nowhere for me. I was thrilled to have a guy with his resume coming here. As I said, and I agree with you, the luster has kinda worn off from the Auburn game and the last 2 games of the year last year. But I'll never wish ill or go against an Arkansas football coach. Because that means going against the team and the players.

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2017, 03:40:01 pm

I don't know if he underestimated what it would take in the SEC and don't believe it takes any less work in the Big 10 to win than it does in the SEC. It's all relative.

If anything, I think Bret Bielema overestimated the talent he would find on the roster when he arrived at Arkansas and underestimated the damage done to the psychology of the team by the Smiley year.  Losing and expecting to lose became a habit overnight. He also may have underestimated the challenges he would face in recruiting to Fayetteville.

The best evidence of Bielema's expectations, and Jeff Long's, may be the duration of his initial contract and the big buyout. He apparently knew he was in for a long rebuild. Now if his team can just get over the hump. They looked like they were there last year and then Auburn happened. Get on a roll this year and don't look back.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PonderinHog

Fortunately, he gets it now.  Or so I've heard.   ;D

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 02, 2017, 04:19:04 pm
Fortunately, he gets it now.  Or so I've heard.   ;D

That would make a great thread.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 02, 2017, 04:04:21 pm
I don't disagree, and as I said I'm a fan of the guy. Anyone who wants our football coach to fail is essentially wishing ill on the team as a whole. That's absurd.

People raised hell about the Being Bret Bielema series, I loved it. Showed what a normal guy he is in his day to day activities. My junior year at U of A was the year he was hired, and it kinda came out of nowhere for me. I was thrilled to have a guy with his resume coming here. As I said, and I agree with you, the luster has kinda worn off from the Auburn game and the last 2 games of the year last year. But I'll never wish ill or go against an Arkansas football coach. Because that means going against the team and the players.

You know, he is a very normal guy, no different than many of us. A common man who is a good football coach, but as a human being, he is prone to faults. Him being a HC of a major school in the country doesn't make him less of a normal human being, though that tag of "HC" always seems to demand more of him than we would of a normal human being. He wasn't forced into this position, he longed for it, worked for it, earned it. I'm happy for him.

That said, he does have a responsibility to the program to produce at a certain level that is considered to be acceptable. I like Bielema and I would be very sad to see him go, but no matter how much I like him as a man and as a coach, he still has to meet certain standards and for him this coming year, that has to be 9 wins or 8 wins with 4 very narrow misses where we were competitive up to the very end of the game.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 02, 2017, 02:15:36 pm

Yeah, I would NEVER want the team to fail so the coach would get fired. I would never pull for the hogs to lose, no way.

TNRazorbacker

Thats about as rosy as an outlook can get. Its possible if everything bounces our way.

DeltaBoy

I m still pissed about that Zoo loss!.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Gonzo

Quote from: Deep Shoat on June 29, 2017, 04:50:41 pm
Thursday, August 31   Florida A&M in Little Rock

The opening game of the season on a Thursday night.  Against a MEAC team.  The only negative is War Memorial Stadium.  Hogs roll.  45-3

Saturday, September 9   TCU

The hand wringers are already convinced this is a horrifying loss.  The Golden Nugget line opened at TCU +1.  But the Horned Frogs D is a shell of it's former self without Dick Bumpas.  In Fayetteville, this is over by the start of the 4th.  The announcers don't realize it until the two-minute warning.  Surfing8 and 12345 don't catch on until 2021, continuing to post about how "that damn Bi rt didn't work hard enough to beat TCU and blew a 17 point lead to only win 27-10.  Another embarrassing loss."  27-10 Hogs

Saturday, September 23   Texas A&M vs. Arkansas at Jerryworld

The whole world expects the Hogs to find a way to blow this one.  I mean, good grief, we've managed the last three years, right?  But this is the year for revenge.   Because you can bet the team doesn't think they will lose.  Devwah has a coming out party, rushing for 188 against the depleted Aggie front four.  35-21 Hogs

Saturday, September 30   New Mexico State

The last game before a long and brutal road trip, the Hogs use this game to get a little rest before heading to Cockland.  Even so, the Hobos take a beatdown.  35-10 Arkansas

Saturday, October 7   @ South Carolina

Little Willie Muschamp has the national pundits and the "Chicken Little" Hog fans thinking he's got a good team.  Everybody forgets that Little Willie hates offense, even his own.  It's in Columbus, so SC keeps it close for a half.  But Austin and the O reach the next level in the 2nd.  45-21 Arkansas

Saturday, October 14   @ Alabama

AlBoarland conceded this game on Wednesday February 5th, 2014.   He knows games are won and lost on Signing Day, after all.  But for real, Bama is still Bama, and they are chapped in hard to reach places by the last 10 seconds of last season.  Their mission to reclaim the National Championship is still on track, but the Hogs make 'em sweat it.  Alabama 17, Hogs 14

Saturday, October 21   Auburn

The only home game in October, fresh off a slobber knocker in Tuscaloosa.  Is there a better time for Gus and the War Eagle/Plainsmen/Tigers to come to town?  After last season's debacle, Arkansas has already been written off, even though they are 5-1 at this point.  But them boys from Fayetteville are looking for payback, and Bret Bielema doesn't ride the Gus Bus.  The Hogs derail Gus' National Championship hopes.  38-28 Arkansas

Saturday, October 28   @ Ole Miss

Bucky Beaver and the Grove's mini-dress wearing sorority hookers are all wearing sad faces because even the NCAA isn't dumb enough to miss the Rebel Black Bear's cheating.  The team is done, knowing they won't see the postseason for at least 3 years.  Arkansas demolishes an emotionally fragile Ole Miss team.  42-0 Arkansas

Saturday, November 4   Coastal Carolina

It's not a bye, but is should be.  No commentary necessary.   Hogs roll early, rest late.  54-13 Hogs

Saturday, November 11    @LSU

Corn Dogs, tipped over Port-a-Johns, and unintelligible coon ass gibberish.   What is, "I hate Baton Rouge, Alex!"  Going to LSU is always tough.  And unless Mike the Tiger is crying as hard as Colonel Reb was during Coach O's first stint in the SEC, this will be a night game.  You really can throw out the records when Arkansas and LSU tangle, even in Death Valley at night.  I think we lose this one, but I don't really know why.  Call it nausea from the smell.  28-24 LSU

Saturday, November 18   Mississippi State

Back in Fayetteville to close out the regular season against the QB that scares LZH the most.  Dan Mullen has recently started chewing grass and dressing like a pirate, explaining why he can't get a job outside of Starkville.  MSU doesn't have any talent on D.  Hogs win on a last second FG after MSU drives the length of the field to take a 21-20 lead.  23-21 Hogs

Friday, November 24   Mizzou

Nobody gives a rip about the "Battle Line Rivalry", except Mizzou.  But the Hogs are still pissed about blowing a big lead against the worst team in the SEC a year ago.  This one gets ugly early, and embarrassing late.  The third Tigers go back to Methville sporting bruises.  48-10 Razorbacks

We get a tough bowl match up on New year's Eve.  Who knows what happens there, but CBB get's to double digit wins and they Negafans are quiet until National Signing Day, when they start calling for Bielema's head for only signing 16 players in the '18 class.

That would be phenomenal, would love to see it happen.

Go Hogs!

MuskogeeHogFan

July 04, 2017, 07:28:18 pm #90 Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:44:24 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
How many games do you think that we win based solely off of these numbers P/Gm?

Total O     Pass O      Run O     RZ %     Scoring O     Pts/Yd
   468         268          200       .831            36            .077

Total D     Pass D       Run D     RZ %     Scoring D     Pts/Yd
   389         235          154       .810            24            .062
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2017, 04:25:42 pm

That said, he does have a responsibility to the program to produce at a certain level that is considered to be acceptable. I like Bielema and I would be very sad to see him go, but no matter how much I like him as a man and as a coach, he still has to meet certain standards and for him this coming year, that has to be 9 wins or 8 wins with 4 very narrow misses where we were competitive up to the very end of the game.

seems fair to me, though less than nine would be a bummer... as was 7 last year... which should have been 9... and that's what I'd like to see us get over, that 4th quarter collapse mentality...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 04, 2017, 07:58:22 pm
seems fair to me, though less than nine would be a bummer... as was 7 last year... which should have been 9... and that's what I'd like to see us get over, that 4th quarter collapse mentality...

So look above at those 12 game averages and tell me, if we can achieve those numbers, how many wins that would produce in your opinion. No T/O Stats, no Sacks, TFL, INT's or anything else, just those numbers.
Go Hogs Go!

Gonzo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 04, 2017, 07:28:18 pm
How many games do you think that we win based solely off of these numbers P/Gm?

Total O     Pass O      Run O     RZ %     Scoring O     Pts/Yd
   468         268          200       .831            36            .077

Total D     Pass D       Run D     RZ %     Scoring D     Pts/Yd
   389         235          154       .810            24            .062

Well, you changed your numbers a little before I started but it's still pretty close. Curious where you came up with those btw, guessing they're from some team's previous season, maybe a Hog season.

You have a total of 144 pt difference for the year. I don't think it's unreasonable to take half that difference from 3 games, FAMU, NMSU, and CC. I would hope the total diff there would be 70ish, not quite a 25 pt win on average. That leaves 70-75 for the other 9, or about 8 pts a game.

I think most folks would be least likely to anticipate wins at either Bama or LSU, and dropping both by a total of 20 I think is pretty realistic, though some would be more optimistic I'm sure. Now we're back to 90-95 for the remaining 7 games, or about 13 pts a game.

With a 13 pts/game advantage in those 7, I think 6-1 is in the ballpark, 5-2 at the least I think. So I'll go with 9-3 off those numbers.  Fun question actually, especially when I started thinking about it this way.

Go Hogs!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 04, 2017, 08:04:25 pm
So look above at those 12 game averages and tell me, if we can achieve those numbers, how many wins that would produce in your opinion. No T/O Stats, no Sacks, TFL, INT's or anything else, just those numbers.

You should win 8+, given at least 3 ooc games, leaving 4 or 5 conference wins.. is this us from 2 years ago?  Depending on how the games played out, you could win them all... plenty of offense, if they can score on everybody and not just during the wins... 

Again, finishing games is a concern... we've run up yards and points in the 1st half only to fold in the 2nd...

MuskogeeHogFan

July 05, 2017, 07:38:08 am #95 Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:49:26 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 05, 2017, 06:10:49 am
You should win 8+, given at least 3 ooc games, leaving 4 or 5 conference wins.. is this us from 2 years ago?  Depending on how the games played out, you could win them all... plenty of offense, if they can score on everybody and not just during the wins... 

Again, finishing games is a concern... we've run up yards and points in the 1st half only to fold in the 2nd...

Just to give you some basis, in 2014 our defense gave up .059 Pts/Yd. Last year it was .073. Generating a number like .062 Pts/Yd wouldn't be as good as the 2014 defense but it would be a respectable number that would provide a good enough defense that it would take an enormous amount of pressure off the offense thinking that they had to force the issue every time that they had the ball because they couldn't count on the defense to hold up their end.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2017, 07:38:08 am
Just to give you some basis, in 2014 our defense gave up .059 Pts/Yd. Last year it was .073. Generating a number like .062 Pts/Yd wouldn't be as good as the 2014 defense but it would be a respectable number that would provide a good enough defense that it would take an enormous amount of pressure off the offense thinking that they had to force the issue every time that they had the ball because they couldn't count on the defense to hold up their end.

Agree about defense helping offense, but imo, often the defense would collapse in the 2nd half after the offense went 3 and out several times in a row.... I expect defense to be much improved under CPR, and I expect the offensive line to be better.. those 2 things alone should set us up for a decent year... but it's the intangibles, coaching, half-time adjustments, execution during crunch time, that will dictate the success of the season...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 05, 2017, 08:02:59 am
Agree about defense helping offense, but imo, often the defense would collapse in the 2nd half after the offense went 3 and out several times in a row.... I expect defense to be much improved under CPR, and I expect the offensive line to be better.. those 2 things alone should set us up for a decent year... but it's the intangibles, coaching, half-time adjustments, execution during crunch time, that will dictate the success of the season...

I'll be shocked if we don't see ongoing adjustments throughout the game on defense. Of course we have to see it before we can believe it, but Rhoads has been around for a long time coaching defense and though I think we will certainly see half time adjustments made in each game, I don't think he will wait for half time in order to make adjustments.

I also believe the OL will be improved but I also think that AA will be more relaxed and confident in running the offense as he heads into his second year as a starter. And if the offense does have 2-3 three-n-outs in a row, that is when you have to be able to count on your defense to show up and uphold their end of the bargain. I would bet that there will be times that the defense isn't working as well as we would like and the offense has to hold up their end. It's a team game.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2017, 08:10:55 am
I'll be shocked if we don't see ongoing adjustments throughout the game on defense. Of course we have to see it before we can believe it, but Rhoads has been around for a long time coaching defense and though I think we will certainly see half time adjustments made in each game, I don't think he will wait for half time in order to make adjustments.

I also believe the OL will be improved but I also think that AA will be more relaxed and confident in running the offense as he heads into his second year as a starter. And if the offense does have 2-3 three-n-outs in a row, that is when you have to be able to count on your defense to show up and uphold their end of the bargain. I would bet that there will be times that the defense isn't working as well as we would like and the offense has to hold up their end. It's a team game.

I expect AA to have a great year and that put's you in position to have a great year ...  by adjustments, I was talking mostly about the offense in the 2nd half.. but absolutely it's a team game and it takes both sides... and both shared responsibility for last year and will again for this year..

I failed to mention earlier .. another key to improvement is stopping the big play on defense.. we've been suspect since CBB arrived.. you'd hope CPR is the missing link.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 05, 2017, 08:21:13 am
I expect AA to have a great year and that put's you in position to have a great year ...  by adjustments, I was talking mostly about the offense in the 2nd half.. but absolutely it's a team game and it takes both sides... and both shared responsibility for last year and will again for this year..

I failed to mention earlier .. another key to improvement is stopping the big play on defense.. we've been suspect since CBB arrived.. you'd hope CPR is the missing link.

Last year was ridiculous in terms of big plays allowed on defense but there were correctable reasons for that. I'm not certain why Robb Smith didn't see it, or if he did, why he didn't react to those things and make the corrections. It wasn't all about not having the personnel to scheme better and as a result, play better.

There were a lot of complaints about not making sound tackles last year and there was some of that, but at this level when you are facing great athletes every play, being out of position (misaligned) by just a step or two or three or more, can put you in a position where you can't react and have a better opportunity to make a sound tackle. If we can eliminate the times that we miss tackles by being out of position, I think we will see a much improved defense.

Additionally, because we don't have the same level of talent as many of our opponents (though I think talent levels are improving), we can't play a game plan on defense where we just lay back and let the other team punch us in the mouth every play and then try to react to that. A more aggressive style of play will help us force the opposing offenses to alter their game plans and reads. That can't do anything but help us.
Go Hogs Go!