Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How I expect the season to play out, game by game.

Started by Deep Shoat, June 29, 2017, 04:50:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 05, 2017, 08:21:13 am
I expect AA to have a great year and that put's you in position to have a great year ...  by adjustments, I was talking mostly about the offense in the 2nd half.. but absolutely it's a team game and it takes both sides... and both shared responsibility for last year and will again for this year..

I failed to mention earlier .. another key to improvement is stopping the big play on defense.. we've been suspect since CBB arrived.. you'd hope CPR is the missing link.

AA doesn't have to put the offense on his shoulders nor does he have to be a world beater at QB. All he needs to do is run the offensive machine smoothly and execute plays very well. If he does that. he'll have a great year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jgphillips3

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 05, 2017, 08:21:13 am
I failed to mention earlier .. another key to improvement is stopping the big play on defense.. we've been suspect since CBB arrived.. you'd hope CPR is the missing link.

Our defense needs resuscitation after last year.  I too hope CPR does the trick.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: mizzouman on June 30, 2017, 02:00:21 pm
Just out of curiosity, but why don't you give a 'rip' about the Mizzou game?  I mean after all, Mizzou has had more success in the last 10 years and is 3-1 in the last 4 games against Arkansas.  So, over looking Mizzou will get Arkansas slapped upside the head, yet again.

Mizzou has definitely owned us thus far. So has A&M. We've definitely not fared well vs the expansion teams.  We Hog fans tend to have an inflated sense of ourselves, results on the field be darned 😀.

TNRazorbacker

July 09, 2017, 10:43:39 am #103 Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:54:15 am by TNRazorbacker
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on June 30, 2017, 07:26:41 pm
And they've beaten our ass twice out of the three times we've met since they've been in the conference. I care about them because as of late they've had our number. To write them off is silly.

This has the feeling of us and LSU. LSU fans "don't give a shite about Arkansas" but by God we care about them and give them a run for their money most years. Mizzou is us, and we are LSU in this situation.

I think this is a stretch. LSU has a much stronger championship history than we do and a significant advantage in series wins. It's understandable to see why LSU would have that attitude with us. We typically compete well against them but it rarely matters for anything beyond the game itself. LSU competes for championships in strong years. We compete with LSU in strong years.

Arkansas has none of the same head to head advantages over Mizzou. Mizzou has owned us since joining the SEC and has more wins in the series. They've also near equalled our division championship total in a fraction of the time in league. All that being said, program wise this is a much more equitable matchup than LSU vs AR is.

Love my Hogs and don't mean to seem negative. Just don't understand the superiority attitude that often comes out in these conversations.

HiggiePiggy

Arkansas has a winning record against 5 of the 13 teams in the sec.  and before Saban showed up it was actually pretty close with Alabama. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2017, 08:38:49 am
Last year was ridiculous in terms of big plays allowed on defense but there were correctable reasons for that. I'm not certain why Robb Smith didn't see it, or if he did, why he didn't react to those things and make the corrections. It wasn't all about not having the personnel to scheme better and as a result, play better.

There were a lot of complaints about not making sound tackles last year and there was some of that, but at this level when you are facing great athletes every play, being out of position (misaligned) by just a step or two or three or more, can put you in a position where you can't react and have a better opportunity to make a sound tackle. If we can eliminate the times that we miss tackles by being out of position, I think we will see a much improved defense.

Additionally, because we don't have the same level of talent as many of our opponents (though I think talent levels are improving), we can't play a game plan on defense where we just lay back and let the other team punch us in the mouth every play and then try to react to that. A more aggressive style of play will help us force the opposing offenses to alter their game plans and reads. That can't do anything but help us.

An agressive style will lead to more big plays. We just have to hope we can make a play in a critical situation or get the ball back to the offense a couple extra times.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 09, 2017, 01:58:37 pm
An agressive style will lead to more big plays. We just have to hope we can make a play in a critical situation or get the ball back to the offense a couple extra times.

I can see where some might think that to be the case but to illustrate this I'll use a long held teaching term for fielding in baseball that is also true for football. "You either play the ball, or the ball will play you".

This rings especially true on defense. If you lay back and play conservatively you are likely to give up more big plays than if you acquire an attacking mentality. If you lay back and allow a RB to come to you, he is going to wind up with more yards than if you attack, attempt to make a play, get a piece of him and slow him down, and allow others to follow and make the play. There will be some big plays that spring loose, but not like there would be if you just lay back and play it soft. I'll take my chances with an attacking defense.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 02:15:18 pm
I can see where some might think that to be the case but to illustrate this I'll use a long held teaching term for fielding in baseball that is also true for football. "You either play the ball, or the ball will play you".

This rings especially true on defense. If you lay back and play conservatively you are likely to give up more big plays than if you acquire an attacking mentality. If you lay back and allow a RB to come to you, he is going to wind up with more yards than if you attack, attempt to make a play, get a piece of him and slow him down, and allow others to follow and make the play. There will be some big plays that spring loose, but not like there would be if you just lay back and play it soft. I'll take my chances with an attacking defense.

Well, every scheme/call has a weakness. It's just a matter of the offense executing to expose that weakness. If you start blitzing backers you are opening up part of the field. The best way is to be able to get pressure without sending extra guys. That comes down to having talent and depth. Do we have it? We'll see. What you think is going to be the defense philosophy we go with is high risk, high reward. That means there will be explosive plays.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 09, 2017, 03:18:53 pm
Well, every scheme/call has a weakness. It's just a matter of the offense executing to expose that weakness. If you start blitzing backers you are opening up part of the field. The best way is to be able to get pressure without sending extra guys. That comes down to having talent and depth. Do we have it? We'll see. What you think is going to be the defense philosophy we go with is high risk, high reward. That means there will be explosive plays.

The thing is, with the implementation of the 3-4, the offense has a more difficult time of reading from where the defense is bringing pressure, as opposed to last year which was very predictable. I'm not sure that you are going to find the 3-4 to be the high-risk, high-reward type of defense that you expect. If executed properly (and that is the big "if" here) every assignment is covered and being more aggressive in nature, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will give up more big plays. As I pointed out before, and I can tell you don't seem to believe, being more aggressive can and usually doesn't allow for more big plays rather than laying back on your heels and allowing the offense to come to you. This 3-4 should dictate to the offense more of what they can run, rather than the offense dictating to the defense as to how they will react.

We will see how it all works out in the first 4 games of the season.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Florida A&M                   W
TCU                               L
TX A&M (Dallas)             L
New Mex St                   W
@S. Carolina                  L
@Alabama                      L
Auburn                           L
@Ole Miss                      W
Coastal Carolina              W
@LSU                            L
Miss State                     W
Missouri                         W

6-6 and a very bad bowl game we win to make it to 7-6 and save his job.
Actually I think Bret will pull one win out of those loses and make it 7-5 to save his job.  But we lose the bowl game,

Final, 7-6

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 09, 2017, 03:58:13 pm
Florida A&M                   W
TCU                               L
TX A&M (Dallas)             L
New Mex St                   W
@S. Carolina                  L
@Alabama                      L
Auburn                           L
@Ole Miss                      W
Coastal Carolina              W
@LSU                            L
Miss State                     W
Missouri                         W

6-6 and a very bad bowl game we win to make it to 7-6 and save his job.
Actually I think Bret will pull one win out of those loses and make it 7-5 to save his job.  But we lose the bowl game,

Final, 7-6

His job is safe for next year.

HiggiePiggy

Only way his job is not safe is if he went 0-8 again next year in the SEC. he isn't going to do that.  He can win 6 to 8 for the next 3 years and still be safe.

ricepig

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 09, 2017, 05:11:46 pm
Only way his job is not safe is if he went 0-8 again next year in the SEC. he isn't going to do that.  He can win 6 to 8 for the next 3 years and still be safe.

Hmm...I think it will have to be better than that, I suspect it will.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 09, 2017, 05:11:46 pm

I think that you are delusional.
Go Hogs Go!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 06:02:26 pm
I think that you are delusional.

Really. So you are telling me is if he wins only 6 to 8 games a year for the next 3 years he will be fired?  What makes you think he would be fired?

Cinco de Hogo

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 09, 2017, 06:14:19 pm
Really. So you are telling me is if he wins only 6 to 8 games a year for the next 3 years he will be fired?  What makes you think he would be fired?

Well I guess what I should have said, to be more detailed, is that he will be here through 2018 no matter what, but it is my opinion that 7-8 wins each year on average isn't going to get it done for the long term for Bielema. If that is all that he can accomplish through 2018 I think Long's hand will be forced to go another direction. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Some things I would like to see (read about) in practice before I make a season prediction:

1) Improvement in OL.
2) DEFENSE DOESN'T ABSOLUTELY SUCK!!!!!
3) Health of the team

We know Austin and the backs will be good especially if given protection and some holes to run through.
Improvement in the OL could be worth a couple wins next season. Not being able to convert at the goal line just killed us last year in games.  We've GOT to find a group up front that can get it done every game. We don't even have to be great up front. Just be able to make that final push at the goal line to finish up drives unlike last year vs aTm and Mizzou.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 06:25:51 pm
Well I guess what I should have said, to be more detailed, is that he will be here through 2018 no matter what, but it is my opinion that 7-8 wins each year on average isn't going to get it done for the long term for Bielema. If that is all that he can accomplish through 2018 I think Long's hand will be forced to go another direction. JMO

The last thing I want to do is start all over again. Barring a losing year, I think he stays and I wouldn't disagree with keeping him.

I'm just tired of firing and hiring coaches every 5-6 years. He's a very likable guy and a dynamic personality that can possibly recruit to Arkansas.  If we can just get that big year of 9-10 wins, I think he will be just fine.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 09, 2017, 06:28:29 pm
The last thing I want to do is start all over again. Barring a losing year, I think he stays and I wouldn't disagree with keeping him.

I'm just tired of firing and hiring coaches every 5-6 years. He's a very likable guy and a dynamic personality that can possibly recruit to Arkansas.  If we can just get that big year of 9-10 wins, I think he will be just fine.

I agree that would be the best scenario.  Believing is hard right now.  It's happened at other programs in years 5, 6 etc I guess.  Being in the SECW is what makes it hard to accomplish.

MuskogeeHogFan

As much as I like the guy and all of the other things that he has done for the program, I think he needs to win 9 this year to stay in place. Of course, he is here through 2018 no matter what so what if he wins 8 this year and then wins 9-10 or more in 2018? What then?
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 06:45:30 pm
As much as I like the guy and all of the other things that he has done for the program, I think he needs to win 9 this year to stay in place. Of course, he is here through 2018 no matter what so what if he wins 8 this year and then wins 9-10 or more in 2018? What then?

16 regular season wins over the next two years, that's what he needs. Any combination will do to get an extension.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on July 09, 2017, 07:05:59 pm
16 regular season wins over the next two years, that's what he needs. Any combination will do to get an extension.

I'm not sure that I agree with that. That's 8 wins each year. I don't think that is enough. But then, I am not inside Jeff Long's head.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 07:19:45 pm
I'm not sure that I agree with that. That's 8 wins each year. I don't think that is enough. But then, I am not inside Jeff Long's head.

Well, there's the possibility of 9 wins with a bowl game victory, but that's the line in the sand.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on July 09, 2017, 07:22:56 pm
Well, there's the possibility of 9 wins with a bowl game victory, but that's the line in the sand.

I'm talking about 9 regular season wins. Bowl wins are a plus. that's my "line in the sand".
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 07:28:49 pm
I'm talking about 9 regular season wins. Bowl wins are a plus. that's my "line in the sand".

Well, are you going to quit watching, play golf, or go fishing as some others? I didn't make that number up, it's not my number, although I concur with it.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 07:19:45 pm
Doesnt matter if you agree.  Rice isn't offering his opinion.  16 wins over the next two. 

I will add that an SEC CG appearance probably means he could fall below 16 and still be extended.
All Gas, No Brakes!

HiggiePiggy

Well next year we will be unknown at qb again.  So I hope this year is 9 wins or better.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 09, 2017, 07:45:37 pm
Doesnt matter if you agree.  Rice isn't offering his opinion.  16 wins over the next two. 

I will add that an SEC CG appearance probably means he could fall below 16 and still be extended.

Rice also knows that number is static.

ricepig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 09, 2017, 07:45:37 pm

Oh no doubt, but I would think we'd have those wins if we made it that far.

GuvHog

I understand you are tired of it but that's the norm in college football these days. If a head coach isn't winning, he isn't going to last any longer than that. A winning program makes the school money so while running a clean program with integrity is a good thing, coaches are also hired to win.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: mizzouman on June 30, 2017, 02:00:21 pm
Just out of curiosity, but why don't you give a 'rip' about the Mizzou game?  I mean after all, Mizzou has had more success in the last 10 years and is 3-1 in the last 4 games against Arkansas.  So, over looking Mizzou will get Arkansas slapped upside the head, yet again.

They just do it to get you riled up... I want some Tiger this year...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

redleg

CBB cannot make a living in Fayetteville with 6-6 and 7-5 (or worse) teams every single year, and expect to keep his job. Razorback fans will, for the most part, accept a 6-6 or 7-5 team every few years as long as there are a few 9-3 and 10-2 squads mixed in. 8-4 is a kind of "tweener" record, because it could become a 9 win team with a bowl victory. Of course, a bowl loss and an 8-5 squad would cause some grumblings. Most Hog fans are reasonable.
If CBB can get to 9 or even 10 victories this year, it would go a long way in cooling off his seat. Especially since, I feel, that 2018 is lining up to be a special season for Arkansas, even with a new QB under center. Barring underclassmen leaving early, and not counting transfers or dismissals, there should be 8 starters returning on both offense and defense, plus all of the special teams players. The schedule sets up very well  too.
As for 2017, I think 9-3 with a NYD bowl is achievable.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Cinco de Hogo

If things have to go perfect for Arkansas to win 10 games it ain't happening, we is shot full of Murphy.

What that means is we have to recruit good enough and coach good enough to overcome not being perfect.

So the question is can the current coaching staff get it done.  They got two more years.

Unless we go winless this year.

I may not like it but its reality.

Now all you people who don't like people keeping it real your probably love that statement.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 10, 2017, 02:59:00 pm
If things have to go perfect for Arkansas to win 10 games it ain't happening, we is shot full of Murphy.

What that means is we have to recruit good enough and coach good enough to overcome not being perfect.

So the question is can the current coaching staff get it done.  They got two more years.

Unless we go winless this year.

I may not like it but its reality.

Now all you people who don't like people keeping it real your probably love that statement.

Let's face it, to win 10, 11, 12 games in the SEC West we not only need to play at a consistently higher level than we have the past 4 seasons, but we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot repeatedly AND, we need other teams to stumble a bit at times and make some mistakes that go in our favor when we play them. That's a whole lot of "stuff" coming together at one time, but I've seen it happen before and it can happen again. Whether it will or not, is the question. All we can do is take care of our part.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on July 10, 2017, 10:53:47 am
They just do it to get you riled up... I want some Tiger this year...
That's what I'm talking about. Go get you some.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!