Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Skip Holtz

Started by GolfHog, November 06, 2017, 09:54:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfHog

might be the perfect fit for our current mess.

All the drama began when Frank was retained after firing his Dad. Drama has reigned on the hill ever since. Time to put the ghosts to rest and build a professional organization whose only goal is winning football games.

The real question is where to find an AD.

Seebs

Hiring Skip Holtz would be like handing a choking man a Chupa Pop. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

pigture perfect

Just No. unless our first 12choices say no thanks.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

East Clintwood

Talk about an uninspiring hire.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

The Boar War

What if his name was Skip Holds?  Would you want him then?

Marshfieldhog

Sooie71923

it does not matter who the next coach is, not everyone will be happy.

some people would complain if Saban was hired.

The Boar War

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 06, 2017, 10:10:35 am

Maybe.  But I imagine it would be a lot less than if Skip Holtz was hired.

Sooie71923

half will be ok with skip, the other half wont.  Arkansans perspective of the program and what we're able to obtain is OUT OF TOUCH. period.

NuttinItUp

There is a new forum that Lanny created for coaching hire posts:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?board=122.0

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 06, 2017, 10:13:13 am
half will be ok with skip, the other half wont.  Arkansans perspective of the program and what we're able to obtain is OUT OF TOUCH. period.

I think you're 100k to 200K off...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

dfwalumdad

Quote from: GolfHog on November 06, 2017, 09:54:47 am

All the drama began when Frank was retained after firing his Dad. Drama has reigned on the hill ever since.

frank? as in frank broyles?

there were absolutely zero repercussions towards broyles for firing holtz. he'd tried to buy a beer distributorship and manage to p*ss off every larger donor  to the program. paul ells went on air and publicly called for his dismissal the night before broyles pulled the trigger.

the guy he replaced holtz with hatfield left arkansas with an 83% winning percentage and back to back swc championships.

skip holtz? no thanks. 

greenie

Quote from: The Boar War on November 06, 2017, 10:05:09 am

lol...nice

Jim Harris

Quote from: The Boar War on November 06, 2017, 10:05:09 am

Would rather Long hire Ben Folds.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

The Boar War

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 06, 2017, 10:13:13 am

That goes both ways.  Competing in the SEC is not an unattainable position for this program.  For every fan who thinks Chip Kelley is waiting for Jeff's call there's another who believes we couldn't land an FCS coach.

The Boar War

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 06, 2017, 10:27:52 am
Would rather Long hire Ben Folds.

Well "off the coast and headed nowhere" and "drowning slowly" do seem appropriate when thinking about the state of Arkansas football.

Jim Harris

Quote from: The Boar War on November 06, 2017, 10:31:04 am
Well "off the coast and headed nowhere" and "drowning slowly" do seem appropriate when thinking about the state of Arkansas football.

well played
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Dropkick

I'm at a crossroads as a Foundation member and season ticket holder. This hire or the lack of one will determine what I decide to do regarding Razorback football moving forward. Holtz will not inspire hope with me.

Calling All Hogs

That some fans think Skip Holtz would be a good choice is a testament to just how far Jeff Long has managed to lower expectations for the program.

Kevin

why, because he is lou's son
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FutureMan

My god, man - you can't be serious.  No.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

The Hawg Marshal

Skip is an average coach, maybe very slightly above average. We really need to do better if we can.

AirWarren

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 06, 2017, 10:03:52 am
Talk about an uninspiring hire.

But but but. He has Arkansas ties!!!!!!!!

okrazorback

I am not for Skip Holtz. I don't see where any of your choices are that good, but I could be wrong. You said you needed someone with SEC experience so what is wrong with Gus or Tommy Tubberville.

ipigsooie

The girl you go home with at closing time.

1highhog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 06, 2017, 10:15:13 am
Skip Holtz has failed every where he's been!  Why would UA hire him?  Do a little research before making posts like this!

Wrong. You need to do research yourself before making such and asinine statement.  I wouldn't want Skip Holtz as Coach at the UofA, but he was a success at East Carolina, almost beating the Hogs at a miserable Liberty Bowl game under then coach Petrino, and he also brought the Huskies from nothing into a good squad before leaving for another job.

1highhog

Quote from: okrazorback on November 06, 2017, 11:00:09 am
I am not for Skip Holtz. I don't see where any of your choices are that good, but I could be wrong. You said you needed someone with SEC experience so what is wrong with Gus or Tommy Tubberville.

Tommy Tuberville is to old.

Cotton

All the drama began when Frank was retained after firing his Dad. Drama has reigned on the hill ever since. Time to put the ghosts to rest and build a professional organization whose only goal is winning football games.

Read more. Post less.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Hoggish1

Quote from: Seebs on November 06, 2017, 09:56:47 am
Hiring Skip Holtz would be like handing a choking man a Chupa Pop. 

I believe you've understated that analogy...

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: pigture perfect on November 06, 2017, 09:58:40 am

That's how Tennessee ended up with another coach from LA Tech, Derek Dooley.

sickboy

DoubleReedHawgCaller

That is exactly what we need to do is Skip  Holtz.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Youngsta71701

Quote from: pigture perfect on November 06, 2017, 09:58:40 am
And this is possible indeed.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

The Hogfather

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 06, 2017, 10:38:55 am
That some fans think Skip Holtz would be a good choice is a testament to just how far Jeff Long has managed to lower expectations for the program.

I think these might be trial balloons being sent out.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Granny fan

This name worries me.  I don't want him.  Not nearly as good as Lou was.

M L (bassplayer)

Boy, I knew you were going to get killed with that one....... ;)

98hogs

NO

hog.goblin

I think Skip is an above average coach.  Did great at UConn and E Carolina.  He failed at USF and is doing okay at La Tech.

My fear is that he will be a below average recruiter, and doesn't implement a system to overcome inferior talent.

31to6

Cambridge Hog

He is head and shoulders above what we have now. There are others I would rather have but he wouldn't be the worst choice we could make.

1highhog

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on November 06, 2017, 06:35:10 pm
He is head and shoulders above what we have now. There are others I would rather have but he wouldn't be the worst choice we could make.

True, he is head and shoulders above Bielema, but Bielema is a -0 on a scale from 1-10, Skip would only be a 3 on the scale.   We need to shoot for a coach thats a 10, but we'll most likely end up with a coach that's a 6 if Jeff Long hires him.  I doubt he'll luck up and get a 7 or above, just my opinion.

jgcat4

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 06, 2017, 10:10:35 am

I think we should try this theory. Let's hire Saban and see how many people get mad.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

DeltaBoy

NO

Skip Holtz
Career Record: 13 Years, 89-75, .543 Win% (at major schools)
Bowl Record: 8 Games, 5-3, .625 Win% (at major schools)
As Player: 1986-1986 (Full Stats)
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.