Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We need to lock down Matt Campbell right now

Started by #1Fan, October 28, 2017, 05:58:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

#1Fan

The chances of him being at Iowa St. next year are slim, so now's the time to get a jump on everyone else.

EastTNHog

Sucks that Tennessee and FL are both going to be looking as well.

Pork Ranger

He'll be in the SEC coaching sweepstakes for sure

Inhogswetrust

The chance of someone paying his large buyout is slimmer.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 28, 2017, 06:00:30 pm
The chance of someone paying his large buyout is slimmer.

We could do it if we wanted.  If we wanted bad enough.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

dhizzle

Will he sustain it it or pull a HDN like at Ole Miss?

East Clintwood

We won't be locking anybody down except Bert.  Prepare for his return.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Arthur pigby sellers.

After this win he can pick his job.  That probably doesn't bode well for us getting him, but you never know till you try.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: dhizzle on October 28, 2017, 06:02:07 pm
Will he sustain it it or pull a HDN like at Ole Miss?

We are talking about probably the worst program in all of college football and he is making them look like a ligit contender.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 28, 2017, 06:03:42 pm
We are talking about probably the worst program in all of college football and he is making them look like a ligit contender.

You seen Kansas play lately?

rhames

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 28, 2017, 06:03:42 pm

Maybe he can do it twice!!!

I kid.

I want him.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 28, 2017, 06:02:44 pm
We won't be locking anybody down except Bert.  Prepare for his return.

Who is Bert?
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on October 28, 2017, 06:16:30 pm
You seen Kansas play lately?

Iowa State in its history has never had a 10 win season. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/iowa-state/

Iowa State has about 20 wins less and 30 losses more in its history over Kansas.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/kansas/

Don't get me wrong. Both teams suck and have sucked for awhile, but in its history of both Iowa State has been worse. 

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 28, 2017, 06:20:18 pm
Who is Bert?

Bert is the man that will be coaching the Hogs for the foreseeable future.  But you already knew that.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Bacons Rebellion

I was at the game where we beat Iowa State by defending their 2 point conversion with 12 defenders. It sort of made a statement that the 70s were not going to be the 60s. :)

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 28, 2017, 06:26:51 pm
Iowa State in its history has never had a 10 win season. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/iowa-state/

Iowa State has about 20 wins less and 30 losses more in its history over Kansas.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/kansas/

Don't get me wrong. Both teams suck and have sucked for awhile, but in its history of both Iowa State has been worse.

Key word was "lately".  But agree, ISU is much like Kansas State before Bill Snyder.

Arkansas Fan

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

go hogues

At this point, he's secured a position at a school way above our rung of the ladder.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: go hogues on October 28, 2017, 07:20:28 pm
At this point, he's secured a position at a school way above our rung of the ladder.

It seems he's this year's Tom Herman.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 28, 2017, 07:22:41 pm
It seems he's this year's Tom Herman.

Yep. Except he is better than him in my opinion. 

LZH

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Kinda amazing what he's doing w/ Paul Rhoad's 2-10 players.

He coached circles around Bielema in Little Rock.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

RazorbacksFTW

Well he did beat TCU who blew us the fk out and Iowa State should have way less talent then we do.
He has a huge buyout though so don't count on it.

LZH

Quote from: RazorbacksFTW on October 28, 2017, 07:44:00 pm

I have money. I have big money, literally hundreds of dollars. Just let me know and give me a phone number and I can make it happen. Other than that, I can't work with this crew on the hill as it is.

imtad16

Matt Campbell has a 9 million buy out. Is he 9 million dollars good? We would also be paying BB 5 million dollars on top of Campbell's salary.

Wildhog

Quote from: imtad16 on October 28, 2017, 07:56:25 pm
Matt Campbell has a 9 million buy out. Is he 9 million dollars good? We would also be paying BB 5 million dollars on top of Campbell's salary.

If he can do with Arkansas what he's done with Toledo and ISU, then he's absolutely 9 million dollars good.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

imtad16

We are not paying 14 million dollars between Iowa State and Bret Bielema and an SEC HC contract plus a coaching staff.

LZH

Quote from: Wildhog on October 28, 2017, 07:57:51 pm
If he can do with Arkansas what he's done with Toledo and ISU, then he's absolutely 9 million dollars good.

I quit smoking, so if I can live to be 175 or so I can pay off his buyout. See how easy that is?

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on October 28, 2017, 07:59:03 pm
I quit smoking, so if I can live to be 175 or so I can pay off his buyout. See how easy that is?

Cool, when you get it saved up, let us know and we'll apply it to his buyout.

hogsanity

I'm just amazed hog fans want a guy who won a game scoring only 14 pts.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 28, 2017, 08:04:25 pm
I'm just amazed hog fans want a guy who won a game scoring only 14 pts.

Figured you'd love it.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

hog.goblin

Campbell's next job will be a large step up, not to the U of A while we are in the SEC

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on October 28, 2017, 08:04:54 pm
Figured you'd love it.  :)

It was an ugly game. Isu played good d but tcu gave away too many chances in the red zone.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on October 28, 2017, 08:00:29 pm
Cool, when you get it saved up, let us know and we'll apply it to his buyout.

Well, it just occurred to me by that time his buyout will be $2 billion. I'm screwed either way.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 28, 2017, 08:08:31 pm
It was an ugly game. Isu played good d but tcu gave away too many chances in the red zone.

Yep.  Still bowl eligible after 8 games with two top five wins and ranked for the first time since 2005.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: imtad16 on October 28, 2017, 07:58:51 pm
We are not paying 14 million dollars between Iowa State and Bret Bielema and an SEC HC contract plus a coaching staff.

To win you gotta spend the money, and Campbell would be worth it if you ask me. I think he would do very well here.

ArkansasI

Matt Campbell is not thinking about the Arkansas job.

imtad16

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 28, 2017, 08:35:58 pm
To win you gotta spend the money, and Campbell would be worth it if you ask me. I think he would do very well here.

He does look like a good coach, but its just a lot of risk to assume on Matt Campbell. I agree he has done a great job. That is just the kind of risk you take on someone with an even longer track record. If the move is made I would rather just have to pay the 5ish million and then go after Chad Morris, Mike Norvell, Scott Frost(I bet Nebraska has dibs there), etc. I think if we go ahead and make a change we should go with someone different than BB. Matt Campbell and BB seem a little similar for some reason. That's just me though.

I feel like Chad Morris could recruit the hell out of Texas.

Wildhog

Quote from: imtad16 on October 28, 2017, 08:48:02 pm
He does look like a good coach, but its just a lot of risk to assume on Matt Campbell. I agree he has done a great job. That is just the kind of risk you take on someone with an even longer track record. If the move is made I would rather just have to pay the 5ish million and then go after Chad Morris, Mike Norvell, Scott Frost(I bet Nebraska has dibs there), etc. I think if we go ahead and make a change we should go with someone different than BB. Matt Campbell and BB seem a little similar for some reason. That's just me though.

Morris doesn't belong in the same discussion as Matt Campbell.  And if you're just going on track record, none of the others do, either.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: imtad16 on October 28, 2017, 08:48:02 pm

How does Matt Campbell and B.B. seem similar? 

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on October 28, 2017, 08:09:49 pm
Yep.  Still bowl eligible after 8 games with two top five wins and ranked for the first time since 2005.

Oh he is doing a god job, no doubt. With his upbringing in Massilon, OH, I just do not think hog fans would like his offensive philosophy. He is born and raised in the heart of 3 yards and a cloud of dust country.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 28, 2017, 09:47:36 pm
Oh he is doing a god job, no doubt. With his upbringing in Massilon, OH, I just do not think hog fans would like his offensive philosophy. He is born and raised in the heart of 3 yards and a cloud of dust country.

I'm pretty sure people would be fine with it if he is winning.

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 28, 2017, 09:49:18 pm
I'm pretty sure people would be fine with it if he is winning.

yea, you'd think so....................... but now we are back to defining what "winning" would be. Guarantee if they were going 8-4 and most of the wins were 14-7 or 21-17 type many would not be very happy for very long.

I'd take him over every other name being thrown around.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: RazorbacksFTW on October 28, 2017, 07:44:00 pm
Well he did beat TCU who blew us the fk out and Iowa State should have way less talent then we do.

Were you high, stupid AF or just an a-hole?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 28, 2017, 10:05:32 pm
yea, you'd think so....................... but now we are back to defining what "winning" would be. Guarantee if they were going 8-4 and most of the wins were 14-7 or 21-17 type many would not be very happy for very long.

I'd take him over every other name being thrown around.
I have said many times on here if a coach can come in here and average 8 or 9 wins a game. Meaning that he has some 10 and 11 wins along with every now and then a 6 or 7 win season most people here would be ok with that.  There are always going to be those like yourself that bash a coach that isn't winning the conference.

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 28, 2017, 10:17:08 pm
I have said many times on here if a coach can come in here and average 8 or 9 wins a game. Meaning that he has some 10 and 11 wins along with every now and then a 6 or 7 win season most people here would be ok with that.  There are always going to be those like yourself that bash a coach that isn't winning the conference.

Umm, I have been around a long time, and I have seen/heard Hog fans bash Hatfield for being boring when he had THREE 10 win seasons. And we had EXACTLY the production you described, for a decade, and Hog fans could not wait to get rid of that guy either.

I am fine with 8 or 9 wins because that is exactly what we have always been, on average.

HiggiePiggy

But yet you continue to bash petrino because he couldn't win the conference or the west division.  So make up your mind.  He was averaging more than 8 wins a year, but now you act like he was nothing here. 

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 28, 2017, 10:29:20 pm
But yet you continue to bash petrino because he couldn't win the conference or the west division.  So make up your mind.  He was averaging more than 8 wins a year, but now you act like he was nothing here. 

No no. What I have said was that he did not do anything here other coaches before him had not done. HDN, Hatfield, Holtz, JFB all had 10 wins seasons. JFB, HOLTZ, Hatfield all won conf titles and all coached the team to major bowl appearances. HDN and Ford both put teams in the SECCG. That is what I have always said to those who act like BP was the only one to have done those things here.