Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Embery to Hogs ... story linked w/quotes, analysis ... plus highlights

Started by Kevin McPherson, September 16, 2017, 10:51:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

Was in Fayeteville all day covering the AAO basketball combine, and I just got back to LR within the hour, so I was away from the board all day. A few things now, with more to come later.

* My very first source ended up being spot on, telling me early in the week that Embery would commit to Arkansas. This was before any crystal balls or whispers. He'll remain unnamed until later, but he knows Keyshawn and he called me again on Friday and reiterated that it was a done deal at the time he originally told me earlier in the week. My second source saying Arkansas will also remain unnamed, he's a national recruiting guy who doesn't know Key, but he knows a lot of coaches and insiders.

* My Oklahoma source was thinking TA&M because of what Keyshawn told him after that visit couple with him shutting everything down right after the visit. We shared info all week, and once this source was able to move from TA&M to Arkansas, that was all I needed to go on the radio and on here to step up my confidence level that Embery would call the Hogs.

* I'm told Keyshawn's Dad and coach, Jermaine Simpson, always wanted him to go to Arkansas, and that he has a good relationship with Hog coaches.

* Over and over again, from my various sources and from Keyshawn himself, this decision was first and foremost about Keyshawn's comfort with, trust in, and love for the coaching staff. TJ Cleveland and Mike Anderson did a GREAT job of recruiting Keyshawn.

* I've said before that Embery is a textbook combo guard = more of a SG, but with ability to help at PG and make plays for others. He's a crafty and fearless slasher/finisher who does not mind contact once he gets into the paint, he's got a strong 3-point-game off the bounce (dribble-then-step-back, crossover, going left or right), and he's got counter moves at all 3 levels ... but he also does a good job of mixing in drop-offs and kickouts for others, enough to keep defenders guessing while he picks and chooses ... improved defender ... competitor.

* He's a great fit in Mike Anderson's system. Arkansas needed to get bigger at the guard and wing positions -- and we see they have with the '17 class and who they are still targeting in '18 -- but the Hogs still need those scarppy, skilled, quick, dog-mentality 6-3-and-under guards, too. I think he's tough at both ends of the floor, and that just lines up with the kind of player that CMA covets.

* Embery -- who scored 50 points in a game last season at Midwest City HS -- averaged 14.2 points (13th), 3.4 assists (4th), and 1.4 steals on the Under Armour Association circuit this spring/summer. But he blew up at the Under Armour All American camp in July, which really got his recruitment to take off. His senior season at IMG Academy should do a lot more to help him develop for the next level than finishing at Midwest City HS would have.

* Embery held offers from Arkansas, Texas A&M, West Virginia, Arizona State, Purdue, Butler, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Virginia Tech, Creighton, and Nebraska.

* Arkansas now has 3 national Top 100 / 4* players ... Ethan Henderson (ESPN, 247Sports, Future150, and HoopSeen), Keyshawn Embery (Scout and Rivals), and Isaiah Joe (247Sports).

* Arkansas has reeled in it's 3rd national Top 100 / 4* guard from out-of-state in the last 4 classes = Jimmy Whitt in 2015, Jaylen Barford in 2016 (juco Top 10 is equivalent of HS Top 100), and now Embery in 2018.

* Arkansas has moved up to national No. 6 in 247Sports team recruiting rankings for c/o 2018, and No. 12 in composite national rankings (an aggregate of the 4 major national recruiting services).

EDIT on 10/29/17 to add commit story and highlight reels before stickying to top of Basketball Recruiting forum ...

Embery to Hogs was about relationships ... story linked ...

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/kevin-mcpherson-keyshawn-embry-makes-it-3/

Love all of these Keyshawn Embery highlight reels ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQLGBM4DBeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gxIAKe9nCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC4WSmoGI0g

HogCzar1

Great stuff, Kevin. What is your take on Leblanc now? Is he a lock for LSU, or does this help our chances with him?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 16, 2017, 10:55:00 pm
Great stuff, Kevin. What is your take on Leblanc now? Is he a lock for LSU, or does this help our chances with him?

I think Texas A&M is the leader right now, but LSU is the hometown team and they are getting a visit (next weekend). It's hard to imagine him playing anywhere outside of Baton Rouge if Will Wade really wants him. Wade is on a roll right now, so who knows if Leblanc is willing to wait around to see what Darius Days will do. Josh told me he'll likely announce his choice in early October. Josh told me Hogs are not out of the picture, but as of today I think it will come down to Ags and LSU.

rzrbackramsfan

Any idea why Oklahoma or Oklahoma state didn't offer?  Can you imagine if Arkansas didn't even offer the number 1, four star prospect out of Arkansas?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 16, 2017, 11:01:50 pm
Any idea why Oklahoma or Oklahoma state didn't offer?  Can you imagine if Arkansas didn't even offer the number 1, four star prospect out of Arkansas?

Weird situation. I'm told OU never pursued him hard. Oklahoma State offered him under the previous staff last season, but the new staff fell behind and did not put in enough time to make up ground. West Virginia wanted him, though, and Kansas had serious interest.

Pinto

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 16, 2017, 11:01:50 pm

Right. Some of our fans are still very upset about Payton Willis going to Vandy and he wasn't as good as Keyshawn.

Kevin McPherson

For those interested, I'm linking my Thursday segment on The Hog Call when I predicted Keyshawn Embery to the Hogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1flqfV7ppBg

And here's my tweet that contains a link to the Recruiting Intelligence Report -- which also aired on Thursday -- hosted by Dr. Fitz Hill and Marcus Elliott. Bill Ingram and I are on the weekly show (this week, I talked Embery to Hogs and Phillips & Chaney visit), and we had the Triplets on with us (Sidney Moncrief and Marvin Delph were in studio, and Ron Brewer, Sr., called in from NWA). I really like the format of the show, we have a lot of fun.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/908958394756816896

Hoggle

September 17, 2017, 12:01:35 am #7 Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:20:20 am by Hoggle
I might be getting tricked by watching only highlights but Keyshawn looks like he is going to be a scoring machine for us. I don't recall a razorback who could create shots like this guy, a different kind of player than we are use to. His game reminds me of James "Hollywood" Robinson - the stroke, and the way he can create. Not sure he has quite that level of athleticism but few do and his athleticism looks really good nonetheless.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hoggle on September 17, 2017, 12:01:35 am
I might be getting tricked by watching only highlights but Keyshawn looks like he is going to be a scoring machine for us. I don't recall a razorback who could create shots like this guy, a different kind of player than we are not use to having. His game reminds me of James "Hollywood" Robinson - the stroke, and the way he can create. Not sure he has quite that level of athleticism but few do and his athleticism looks really good nonetheless.

Nice take.

hogwood

2016 was a solid class. 2017 better. 2018 may even be better without Perry. Recruiting is getting better each year and I think as long as this keeps up we can expect 25+ wins, SEC contention, and NCAAT births every season from CMA. Exciting to see the trend continue because after a while the trend just becomes reality. Go Hogs!

RazorAg

He'll give us a lot of what we'll lose in Barford.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorAg on September 17, 2017, 08:44:59 am

I do see a lot of Harford in his game. But with more of a leaner body type.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: RazorAg on September 17, 2017, 08:44:59 am

thought the same thing.. maybe a better long range shooter.. but he handles contact well, same as JB...

Pinto

He can handle the rock better than JB and is more of a finesse finisher than a bull like Barford is. Definitely the same type of dawg though. If JB has worked on his handles over the offseason then he will be unstoppable

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Pinto on September 17, 2017, 01:44:29 pm
He can handle the rock better than JB and is more of a finesse finisher than a bull like Barford is. Definitely the same type of dawg though. If JB has worked on his handles over the offseason then he will be unstoppable

Pretty well sums up what I think, too. Embery's perimeter game is more like Macon, whose 3-game includes catch-&-shoot, a nice one-dribble set-up, and some dribble-drive. But I do think his slashing bravado, while not as physical as the bigger Barford, is part of what reflects that "dog" in his game.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hoggle on September 17, 2017, 12:01:35 am
I might be getting tricked by watching only highlights but Keyshawn looks like he is going to be a scoring machine for us. I don't recall a razorback who could create shots like this guy, a different kind of player than we are use to. His game reminds me of James "Hollywood" Robinson - the stroke, and the way he can create. Not sure he has quite that level of athleticism but few do and his athleticism looks really good nonetheless.

you might.  jimmy whit looked like he was going to be a scoring machine for us too... he may have been, but not immediately. 

NWAHog479

Sounds like he will be a perfect fit, going to be interesting to see how he plays with Jalen Harris.

HognitiveDissonance

Nice pickup.
Good offer list, and that's usually the best indication of a player's worth.

The_Iceman

Quote from: NWAHog479 on September 18, 2017, 10:47:32 am
Sounds like he will be a perfect fit, going to be interesting to see how he plays with Jalen Harris.

We will have a good amount of versatility with those two. Mike system minimises those kinds of conflicts. Barford and Macon are both combo guards and had no problem playing at the same time.

Hoggle

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 17, 2017, 10:40:16 pm
you might.  jimmy whit looked like he was going to be a scoring machine for us too... he may have been, but not immediately.

Whitt's shot mechanics were atrocious. He had no chance of being a consistent scorer for us until he fixed that.... and generally speaking, Mike/Nolan aren't shot mechanic fixers - jacory Williams was a good recent example of this too.

In all honestly, I don't remember what my expectations were for Whitt, although I think I was pretty optimistic... until I saw him shoot the ball as a Razorback for the first time.

Keyshawn's stroke varies a bit in his highlights (from okay to excellent, IMO). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's closer to the latter...

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hoggle on September 18, 2017, 08:35:03 pm
Whitt's shot mechanics were atrocious. He had no chance of being a consistent scorer for us until he fixed that.... and generally speaking, Mike/Nolan aren't shot mechanic fixers - jacory Williams was a good recent example of this too.

In all honestly, I don't remember what my expectations were for Whitt, although I think I was pretty optimistic... until I saw him shoot the ball as a Razorback for the first time.

Keyshawn's stroke varies a bit in his highlights (from okay to excellent, IMO). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's closer to the latter...

I'm down.  Whitt was just as much of a s scoring machine in high school though.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hoggle on September 18, 2017, 08:35:03 pm

Portis and Qualls developed their mechanics while here. Portis made a drastic change than landed him in the NBA.

Hoggle

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 18, 2017, 08:56:13 pm
Portis and Qualls developed their mechanics while here. Portis made a drastic change than landed him in the NBA.

I disagree on both counts. Portis flung it from behind his ear the whole time he was a Razorback (horrible mechanics - WAY to much motion). As soon as he got the the NBA I immediately noticed his mechanics changed, and looked much better. This confirmed that we just don't work on mechanics.... but that it's totally possible to do at this stage (and give the player a much better shot at longterm success)

I thought that Qualls' shot was mechanical from the day he got here, but they were technically good mechanics. He just needed to keep working at it to smooth those mechanics out, which I agree he did.

Just my takes.

Kevin McPherson

Sapperhog

Offers from Butler and WV are all I needed to see.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hoggle on September 18, 2017, 10:55:27 pm
I disagree on both counts. Portis flung it from behind his ear the whole time he was a Razorback (horrible mechanics - WAY to much motion). As soon as he got the the NBA I immediately noticed his mechanics changed, and looked much better. This confirmed that we just don't work on mechanics.... but that it's totally possible to do at this stage (and give the player a much better shot at longterm success)

I thought that Qualls' shot was mechanical from the day he got here, but they were technically good mechanics. He just needed to keep working at it to smooth those mechanics out, which I agree he did.

Just my takes.

Portis shot it from under his chin before he got here. His shot was really loose his first year, but it was tighter his sophomore year.

Qualls shot was low as well when he came in and he raised it up some too.

Hoggle

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2017, 01:17:20 pm
Portis shot it from under his chin before he got here. His shot was really loose his first year, but it was tighter his sophomore year.

Correct, Portis has changed his shot multiple times and he had major improvements between his Freshman and Sophomore season.

razorback1829

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2017, 01:17:20 pm

You're correct. Both of their shots transformed over their Razorback careers. They both shot more in front of their face as young guys who are weaker do. Got stronger, and was able to improve their machanics.

Pinto

I never thought of Whitt as a scoring machine. Always thought he was a lockdown defender with great upside. I hate that things didn't work out with him...

mhuff

Quote from: Pinto on September 19, 2017, 05:07:25 pm
I never thought of Whitt as a scoring machine. Always thought he was a lockdown defender with great upside. I hate that things didn't work out with him...

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Pinto on September 19, 2017, 05:07:25 pm

Well he was a scoring machine in high school the same way Embery is a scoring machine in high school.  Both average 25-30 ppg and can create their own shot really well.  I'm not trying to compare, but someone said something to the effect of, we've never gotten somebody that can create their shot like him.  Whitt was really good at creating his own shot in high school. 

Pinto

In high school, Whitt was able to use his length to rise up over defender and hit that high arching mid range jumper that he somewhat mastered. When he came to campus, they made him change his shot and I guess that messed with his confidence or something. Keyshawn is better at beating the defender off the dribble than Whitt, which what we really need...

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Pinto on September 19, 2017, 07:28:15 pm
In high school, Whitt was able to use his length to rise up over defender and hit that high arching mid range jumper that he somewhat mastered. When he came to campus, they made him change his shot and I guess that messed with his confidence or something. Keyshawn is better at beating the defender off the dribble than Whitt, which what we really need...

I agree with all of that. 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Pinto on September 19, 2017, 07:28:15 pm

Ah, Jimmy Whitt the "best guard on campus" as a senior in high school lol.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on September 21, 2017, 09:34:29 am
Ah, Jimmy Whitt the "best guard on campus" as a senior in high school lol.

Going to be very interesting to see how Whitt's game developed after sitting out a year and getting more physically acclimated to D1 ball. I still think he is going to be a very good player. Just wasn't ready right out of high school. Still could have NBA potential. We will see if that is the case this year.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Dominicanhog

STILL SWEET Subject LET'S KEEP THIS THREAD GOING FOR A WHILE  >>>WPS

mhuff

We're going to have to wait a year to be able to compare Whitt and Embery. I don't particularly remember Whitt shooting a good percentage. Still, I remember liking his shot even though some on here criticized it. He shot it square to the basket and with a high release. You can't shoot the ball off your nose unless you're in the sixth grade,. The

King Kong

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 21, 2017, 09:38:00 am
Going to be very interesting to see how Whitt's game developed after sitting out a year and getting more physically acclimated to D1 ball. I still think he is going to be a very good player. Just wasn't ready right out of high school. Still could have NBA potential. We will see if that is the case this year.

I disagree with NBA potential. A tweeter combo guard and not an elite athlete.

But I do believe he can be a good double digit score at SMU

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: King Kong on September 22, 2017, 06:40:14 am

Did he end up going to SMU?  I thought he went to Cal? 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: King Kong on September 22, 2017, 06:40:14 am

If he improves his ball handling and passing skills enough, I could see him being a point guard in the league.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 29, 2017, 02:43:00 pm
Love all these Keyshawn Embery reels ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQLGBM4DBeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gxIAKe9nCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC4WSmoGI0g

He was one I wanted the first video we saw.. he left the radar and came back around .. his game has a lot of, dare say, MM...... a lot of talent, slasher, shooter off the set or making his own shot, good creator ... IMO, he will be special...