Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TWO A DAYS

Started by BigDrDon, June 24, 2016, 10:19:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on June 25, 2016, 09:48:14 pm
We were pitiful for the first 3 games last year on the O-line.  Outsmarted, outplayed, out toughed, outed, by lessor manpower.  I blame the head coach.  He assisted in putting the O-line on a level they did not deserve, overlooked the fact they were not as good as he believed, and allowed us to lose 2 or 3 we should have won.  I don't believe BB likes the two a day heat much either.

If he has learned his lesson, which I doubt he has, we will not be caught up in losing to lessors at home.  It is so difficult to win anything in the SEC west and then we lose to decent but not really good OOC teams.  Its a shame.

1. The HC is always responsible for all things. When they lose, it's his fault. When they win, the credit goes to the team.
2. Anyone who has been through two or three-a-days knows that no one likes them, players or coaches. Show me anyone who says they loved those practices and I'll show you a Sadist. ;)
3. HC's who fail to learn from their mistakes don't wind up with career records of 8 bowls in 11 years.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 25, 2016, 09:43:12 pm
Excellent points Muskogee.  The online was perhaps overly confident going into last year. They also were using a newer scheme that Enos favored.  A zone step then up into your man power blocking scheme.  Not just the straight down hill we saw in 2014. At times they weren't able to get to the second level and sometimes outsized defenses would slant.  They didn't perform well against back side slants the first three games.  It's my understanding that Pittman enter to revert back. The scheme was changed by game 4.  Back to the down hill power.  The technique they are learning from Anderson has different assignments and they are spending countless hours as an OLine group working on footwork and film study.  If you can, go find some Buffalo Bills video from last year.  That's our new scheme.

As far as two-a-days this fall, the players don't know whether or not they will have them this fall.  I asked my son at dinner tonight. He's not sure.  FYI, he came home for dinner and brought Paul Ramirez with him.  Paul is a great young man.  I'm so impressed with all of these Hog olinemen.  A great group of kids.

One of the many things I'm enjoying as we watch what Bielema is creating here is the high level of character these kids have on a whole.  If a person wants to be proud of the type of program they are a fan of, then they can certainly take pride in those young men who are choosing to play their ball at the UofA.

MuskogeeHogFan

Excellent points Muskogee.  The online was perhaps overly confident going into last year. They also were using a newer scheme that Enos favored.  A zone step then up into your man power blocking scheme.  Not just the straight down hill we saw in 2014. At times they weren't able to get to the second level and sometimes outsized defenses would slant.  They didn't perform well against back side slants the first three games.  It's my understanding that Pittman enter to revert back. The scheme was changed by game 4.  Back to the down hill power.  The technique they are learning from Anderson has different assignments and they are spending countless hours as an OLine group working on footwork and film study.  If you can, go find some Buffalo Bills video from last year.  That's our new scheme.

As far as two-a-days this fall, the players don't know whether or not they will have them this fall.  I asked my son at dinner tonight. He's not sure.  FYI, he came home for dinner and brought Paul Ramirez with him.  Paul is a great young man.  I'm so impressed with all of these Hog olinemen.  A great group of kids.

I hope you put more pounds on Ramirez at dinner. ;) We need him to be physically and mentally ready to step up and make a significant contribution this year. I'm always about building for the future and developing players, but we need some kids to step up this season.

Glad to hear that he is a fine young man.
Go Hogs Go!

BigDrDon

The two a day practices that lived through seemed more for mental preparedness. Mistakes made on missed assignments, slacking or just in general being a non hacker would get you some extra time after that burning afternoon practice running some bleachers. It got most of our attentions.
You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BigDrDon on June 26, 2016, 10:55:15 am
The two a day practices that lived through seemed more for mental preparedness. Mistakes made on missed assignments, slacking or just in general being a non hacker would get you some extra time after that burning afternoon practice running some bleachers. It got most of our attentions.

You have missed a lot of the discussion that addresses this very thing since your original OP.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

The technique they are learning from Anderson has different assignments and they are spending countless hours as an OLine group working on footwork and film study.  If you can, go find some Buffalo Bills video from last year.  That's our new scheme.

I found this, and it appears that the Bills from last year with Greg Roman as their OC, favored more of a "downhill" blocking philosophy, which is good for us, but still needs to be adapted to that which the front seven brings to bear.

It isn't a huge struggle to adapt from "assignment blocking" by man, to blocking by "area" based on that which the front seven presents to the O-Line, but this has to be a seamless transition that has been practiced repeatedly ahead of time to avoid confusion and frustration. You recognize what you are being presented with and you adjust play by play, because if the DC is smart, he is changing it up play by play and by given down and distance given current field position. This is the reason that O-Linemen need to be intelligent and quick thinkers. You may know the play and where it is going, but you have adapt in split seconds to what the defense presents and then execute at a high level.

By the same token, the QB and RB's have to recognize and adjust play by play when these games are ran at them. Having an excellent and experienced Center who recognizes defensive tendencies by alignment is an enormous help, especially when making blocking calls at the LOS. But this is also why a smart OC and O-Line Coach must be working in unison to prepare the various position groups to recognize and react accordingly to what they have to face.

http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/03/26/buffalo-bills-what-to-expect-on-offense-in-2015/
Go Hogs Go!

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: ricepig on June 25, 2016, 07:29:51 am
So, how many of you had three a days?

Nope, but I know some of our opponents did...and they beat us.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on June 26, 2016, 04:02:29 pm
Nope, but I know some of our opponents did...and they beat us.

But you DO understand that within the context of this conversation that times have changed right? It's already been mentioned in this thread that the old school "2 uh Days" was a training technique used to get football players in shape after spending time at home and away from their respective programs while on summer break. These Kids leave home right after graduation, enroll in summer school and start an 8 week rigorous weight training regime with Coach Herb... And he is not coddling these Players. They are busting ass in and out of the gym including marching players up steeps hills in weighted vests during the heat of the day. "Our guys are soft and not acclimated to the hot weather..." That was not a Team wide problem.

And it has also been said that we had several players injured, Our OLine Coach was clearly not happy with CBB and wasn't into the hat CDE was bringing to the table combined with Guys who were reading their press clippings a little too close and these things and more bit Our Team on the ass... So, can we retire this BS "2 uh days" narrative yet or are we still going to have rednecks with reading comprehension difficulties calling for more salt tablets? There were certainly problems, we as fans aren't privy to everything but CBB has shown his ability to be flexible and do what is necessary to put this Program in a winning position.

PS: No offense meant to Pigsknuckles btw, but that was a different time... And My post wasn't aimed at you. My post above is aimed at the unrelenting "realists" whose smug confidence defies the actual facts which have been stated ad nauseum in this thread.

factchecker

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on June 26, 2016, 05:08:00 pm
These Kids leave home right after graduation, enroll in summer school and start an 8 week rigorous weight training regime with Coach Herb... And he is not coddling these Players. They are busting ass in and out of the gym including marching players up steeps hills in weighted vests during the heat of the day

Yep.  Football doesn't end for student-athletes anymore.  It's a year round endeavor with very little breaks. 

https://twitter.com/VidHogs/status/738816882271084545

https://twitter.com/VidHogs/status/741210476093136896

https://twitter.com/VidHogs/status/743853671469899776

But they also get to do cool stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/VidHogs/status/743236417417936896

Side note---Josh Williams is recovering nicely from his bad injury vs. Tenn last season:

https://twitter.com/josh954williams/status/746527116368322560
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HogMantheIntruder

I hope we'll go back to two-a-days this summer. The advantage, IMO, is mental. If you only have one grueling practice in a day, then afterwards you can put it out of your head because you're "done" until tomorrow. If you have to go back and do it again, then you can't just do that. Dreading that next practice builds toughness. It's also a strong motivator to do the right things when it comes to recovery (diet, sleep, ice baths, etc), if for no other reason than to make the next practice, which is always just a few hours away, more bearable. Extra attention to these "details" makes a huge difference in how an athlete responds to training. Just my .02
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on June 26, 2016, 05:08:00 pm
But you DO understand that within the context of this conversation that times have changed right? It's already been mentioned in this thread that the old school "2 uh Days" was a training technique used to get football players in shape after spending time at home and away from their respective programs while on summer break. These Kids leave home right after graduation, enroll in summer school and start an 8 week rigorous weight training regime with Coach Herb... And he is not coddling these Players. They are busting ass in and out of the gym including marching players up steeps hills in weighted vests during the heat of the day. "Our guys are soft and not acclimated to the hot weather..." That was not a Team wide problem.

And it has also been said that we had several players injured, Our OLine Coach was clearly not happy with CBB and wasn't into the hat CDE was bringing to the table combined with Guys who were reading their press clippings a little too close and these things and more bit Our Team on the ass... So, can we retire this BS "2 uh days" narrative yet or are we still going to have rednecks with reading comprehension difficulties calling for more salt tablets? There were certainly problems, we as fans aren't privy to everything but CBB has shown his ability to be flexible and do what is necessary to put this Program in a winning position.

PS: No offense meant to Pigsknuckles btw, but that was a different time... And My post wasn't aimed at you. My post above is aimed at the unrelenting "realists" whose smug confidence defies the actual facts which have been stated ad nauseum in this thread.

Speaking of sounding "smug".

Two-a-days aren't just about practice time or conditioning, but that too, has been explained.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

June 26, 2016, 08:35:33 pm #62 Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:52:04 pm by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2016, 12:58:57 pm
I found this, and it appears that the Bills from last year with Greg Roman as their OC, favored more of a "downhill" blocking philosophy, which is good for us, but still needs to be adapted to that which the front seven brings to bear.

It isn't a huge struggle to adapt from "assignment blocking" by man, to blocking by "area" based on that which the front seven presents to the O-Line, but this has to be a seamless transition that has been practiced repeatedly ahead of time to avoid confusion and frustration. You recognize what you are being presented with and you adjust play by play, because if the DC is smart, he is changing it up play by play and by given down and distance given current field position. This is the reason that O-Linemen need to be intelligent and quick thinkers. You may know the play and where it is going, but you have adapt in split seconds to what the defense presents and then execute at a high level.

By the same token, the QB and RB's have to recognize and adjust play by play when these games are ran at them. Having an excellent and experienced Center who recognizes defensive tendencies by alignment is an enormous help, especially when making blocking calls at the LOS. But this is also why a smart OC and O-Line Coach must be working in unison to prepare the various position groups to recognize and react accordingly to what they have to face.

http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/03/26/buffalo-bills-what-to-expect-on-offense-in-2015/
The line calls are made by the center and are much more complex than in the previous system.  That is why I think Raulerson is more likely to help out initially somewhere other than center.  It's a a lot to pick up during the last half of the summer.  Ragnow and Rogers have been working non it since Anderson was hired.

The helps and moving on to the second level are totally different as well.  Hand placement, footwork. It's a lot changed.  I think folks will be pleasantly surprised.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

PorkRinds

Quote from: 12247 on June 25, 2016, 09:48:14 pm
We were pitiful for the first 3 games last year on the O-line.  Outsmarted, outplayed, out toughed, outed, by lessor manpower.  I blame the head coach.  He assisted in putting the O-line on a level they did not deserve, overlooked the fact they were not as good as he believed, and allowed us to lose 2 or 3 we should have won.  I don't believe BB likes the two a day heat much either.

If he has learned his lesson, which I doubt he has, we will not be caught up in losing to lessors at home.  It is so difficult to win anything in the SEC west and then we lose to decent but not really good OOC teams.  Its a shame.

You, sir, win the official PorkRinds Dumbest Internet Post of the Day award. Congrats, and here's your sign....

BigDrDon

What's so bad about out of shape Offensive linemen. Out of shape running backs. Out of shape receivers. Out of shape defensive linemen.  Not to mention the secondary. My answer is everything! Conditioning is the #1 priority. I don't care how able you are , if you can't breath you can't finish the fight.
You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

clutch

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 26, 2016, 09:15:40 pm
Make that 3 lol's

Go ahead and make that 4. I couldn't think of an appropriate response to it originally, but "lol" seems the most fitting.

PorkRinds

Quote from: BigDrDon on June 26, 2016, 09:02:07 pm
What's so bad about out of shape Offensive linemen. Out of shape running backs. Out of shape receivers. Out of shape defensive linemen.  Not to mention the secondary. My answer is everything! Conditioning is the #1 priority. I don't care how able you are , if you can't breath you can't finish the fight.

our issues starting off had little to do with conditioning.

clutch

I think a lot of you are putting too much stock into "the way you used to do it."

I went through 2-a-days as well as a player. I now coach. We no longer use 2-a-days, but instead longer original practices. I like it much better, as a player and a coach. For one, time constraints aren't as bad. When it's split up you have to go through the whole process of getting ready to practice again. Warm-ups, etc. That takes away from the time you can actually spend practicing. Second, by practicing longer, I feel our players get a better feel of what it's like to play tired. At the end of a long practice, when you've been out in the heat for a few hours, you are ready to get inside, but you still have to push through until it's over. That last half hour or so of practice, to me, is great at preparing players for what it's like to play during the 4th quarter. At that time we are usually running live plays. The guys are dog tired, but still have to find it in them to execute somehow. Throw in a little incentive, like the longer it takes to get it right the more conditioning that comes afterwards, and you get guys busting their tail to execute effectively when they have literally nothing left in the tank. It takes a certain toughness to be able to do that and that's exactly what we are looking to identify at that time. Who can we count on when the tanks are running low?

There's more than one way to prepare a team. Athletes today stay in such great shape year around already. I don't think 2-a-days are required to accomplish anything. The conditioning is usually there for the most part already, or should be, and the toughness can be instilled in them multiple ways. You can accomplish it in one long practice just as well as you can 2 shorter practices if you know how.

As has already been mentioned. They aren't "losing" any practice time. They are only allowed a certain allotment of time. They are just utilizing it differently. To me, the 2-a-days argument from last season is about that same as the heavy squats causing the broken feet argument. Just people grasping at straws to find an answer for an unexpected outcome. In reality it was more than likely the combination of injuries and new/old coaches and systems mixing together that brought on the slow start. That seems much more reasonable.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2016, 08:31:29 pm
Speaking of sounding "smug".

Two-a-days aren't just about practice time or conditioning, but that too, has been explained.

If this your reply to my post then you missed it's intent. I would think you of all people would understand the frustration of constantly having to correct those that misinterpret the obvious and do so in great confidence.

RebelW

Our problem starting off was our secondary's eyes were in the wrong place and we were getting beat by reads. And wasn't getting a pass rush.

Peter Porker

Quote from: BigDrDon on June 26, 2016, 10:55:15 am

Running should never be a punishment.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Peter Porker on June 27, 2016, 06:17:26 am
Running should never be a punishment.

Seriously?  ???

I'd rather run than do 100 yard crab crawls.
Go Hogs Go!

Peter Porker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 27, 2016, 07:49:18 am
Seriously?  ???

I'd rather run than do 100 yard crab crawls.

Yea, why would you make a workout a former of punishment? You associate running with punishment. I want my kids to want to run. I don't want them to look at it as punishment. Punishment should be taking away playing time or something like that.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hawgsalot

Quote from: clutch on June 26, 2016, 10:20:31 pm
I think a lot of you are putting too much stock into "the way you used to do it."

I went through 2-a-days as well as a player. I now coach. We no longer use 2-a-days, but instead longer original practices. I like it much better, as a player and a coach. For one, time constraints aren't as bad. When it's split up you have to go through the whole process of getting ready to practice again. Warm-ups, etc. That takes away from the time you can actually spend practicing. Second, by practicing longer, I feel our players get a better feel of what it's like to play tired. At the end of a long practice, when you've been out in the heat for a few hours, you are ready to get inside, but you still have to push through until it's over. That last half hour or so of practice, to me, is great at preparing players for what it's like to play during the 4th quarter. At that time we are usually running live plays. The guys are dog tired, but still have to find it in them to execute somehow. Throw in a little incentive, like the longer it takes to get it right the more conditioning that comes afterwards, and you get guys busting their tail to execute effectively when they have literally nothing left in the tank. It takes a certain toughness to be able to do that and that's exactly what we are looking to identify at that time. Who can we count on when the tanks are running low?

There's more than one way to prepare a team. Athletes today stay in such great shape year around already. I don't think 2-a-days are required to accomplish anything. The conditioning is usually there for the most part already, or should be, and the toughness can be instilled in them multiple ways. You can accomplish it in one long practice just as well as you can 2 shorter practices if you know how.

As has already been mentioned. They aren't "losing" any practice time. They are only allowed a certain allotment of time. They are just utilizing it differently. To me, the 2-a-days argument from last season is about that same as the heavy squats causing the broken feet argument. Just people grasping at straws to find an answer for an unexpected outcome. In reality it was more than likely the combination of injuries and new/old coaches and systems mixing together that brought on the slow start. That seems much more reasonable.

Finely someone who gets it and did a great job explaining it.

HogHolio

Quote from: clutch on June 26, 2016, 10:20:31 pm

Very well written on the logic behind one longer practice.  I would say that I think there are still benefits to some level of 2 a days.  Conditioning in my opinion is irrelevant as that will be accomplished and as you mentioned with one long practice you can simulate playing tired. 

I think the benefit of 2 a days is more from the understanding and retaining aspect.  I know that at some level when a player or even employee is tired they are unable to learn as well as they can when fresh.  Also the ability to evaluate the retention of what was taught with one single practice is not as good as with a break in the middle. 

Basically each has their pros and cons, and I will leave it up to the coaches to determine what works best as they deal with it daily.   

The NewEra

When I was in grade school, running was a form of punishment.

When I was in sports in Jr. and Sr. High, running was a form of punishment.

When I was in the service, running was a form of punishment.

When I was married, running became a form of relief.

When business stressed me out, running became a form of relief. 

Some times what we hate becomes something we embrace and are very good at.  At one time I could run forever. 

Today I have to take a break when I get to the neighbors mailbox.

clutch

Quote from: HogHolio on June 27, 2016, 09:21:57 am
Very well written on the logic behind one longer practice.  I would say that I think there are still benefits to some level of 2 a days.  Conditioning in my opinion is irrelevant as that will be accomplished and as you mentioned with one long practice you can simulate playing tired. 

I think the benefit of 2 a days is more from the understanding and retaining aspect.  I know that at some level when a player or even employee is tired they are unable to learn as well as they can when fresh.  Also the ability to evaluate the retention of what was taught with one single practice is not as good as with a break in the middle. 

Basically each has their pros and cons, and I will leave it up to the coaches to determine what works best as they deal with it daily.   

I agree with your point about retention. If not handled correctly, it is something that might be better grasped in 2 practices instead of one. That's where the good coaches separate themselves from the rest though. You spend the early practice time, when minds are fresh, coaching. That's when the players should be learning. The later the practice gets the more it becomes about execution and mental toughness.

It really all boils down to one thing. Which way can a coach best achieve what he wants to get accomplished? That varies from coach to coach. Neither way is wrong in my opinion. I mainly just made my post because I've seen so many people blaming the lack of 2-a-days and thinking that has to be it because that is what they did when they were playing jr and sr high football. That's just not the case though.

clutch

Quote from: Peter Porker on June 27, 2016, 08:02:40 am
Yea, why would you make a workout a former of punishment? You associate running with punishment. I want my kids to want to run. I don't want them to look at it as punishment. Punishment should be taking away playing time or something like that.

I agree with this too. I don't like using running as a form of punishment. I do however like to use running as a reward. For example, if my guys have a good practice, bust their tails, and execute like I want them to, I will take some of their post-practice conditioning out for the day. I might pick something that they enjoy doing more or just take away a few sprints or gassers. To me, they work harder to achieve that reward. I don't see the same results when I threaten to add conditioning as a punishment.

I don't want them to think of running as punishment or bad. I want them to think of it as necessary to achieve what they are wanting to achieve. When it comes to punishment, nothing works better for me than the threat of playing time being taken away. Somebody getting whipped in practice play after play? Pull em out, replace them with the backup, and let them think for a few minutes about how that guy's out there right now trying to take their spot. Most of the guys are, or should be, extremely competitive. Your actual players want to play. Rarely do you run into a guy that is good enough to play for you that doesn't care about playing time.

theFlyingHog

These aren't Jr High kids we're talking about. These are D1 football machines. If you think that not having 2-a-days at this level is the reason we came out flat early last season then you are either:

A: dumb

B: just hate CBB and want something to complain about

HamSammich

Quote from: a0ashle on June 25, 2016, 10:36:58 am
I am not following, his biggest failure was him saying we were in awesome shape and didn't need 2-a-days? (You said extra practice, pretty sure we are limited in practice time, so am assuming you meant 2-a-days) At the same time you don't know if 2-a-days is the answer to the your perception of our players being out of shape?

The team obviously played its self into shape the last two years. Ever notice how we gained a ton of yards but couldn't score? It's because after a 80 yard drive out guys were gassed and a simple stunt looked like a Rubik's cube marathon.

You simply lost all credibility with me in this thread.

If a moderator allows me permission to mention Te 7 or 8 large tubs of out of shape gue we had by name in games 1-4 I'll be happy to. I mean this isn't even my opinion. I have every game from the last ten years on tape and it simply screams at any moron that knows what a football is when you watch it.

Are two a days necessary??? I don't know and frankly don't care.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Peter Porker on June 27, 2016, 08:02:40 am

In the Army, it's called "corrective training."  Only commanders have the power to punish, and that's done with paperwork.  Corrective training serves more than one purpose.  To correct the inappropriate behavior and to gain physical stamina and strength thus becoming better at two things.

Just a thought.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

clutch

Quote from: HamSammich on June 27, 2016, 09:12:26 pm
The team obviously played its self into shape the last two years. Ever notice how we gained a ton of yards but couldn't score? It's because after a 80 yard drive out guys were gassed and a simple stunt looked like a Rubik's cube marathon.

You simply lost all credibility with me in this thread.

If a moderator allows me permission to mention Te 7 or 8 large tubs of out of shape gue we had by name in games 1-4 I'll be happy to. I mean this isn't even my opinion. I have every game from the last ten years on tape and it simply screams at any moron that knows what a football is when you watch it.

Are two a days necessary??? I don't know and frankly don't care.

Not scoring after a long drive doesn't necessarily mean fatigue. In fact, if it happens repeatedly throughout a game and seems to be a trend I'd assume it was something different.

It's no secret that it gets harder to move the ball the closer you get to the endzone. The field shortens up, so you don't have as much room to make plays. We simply weren't a very good offensive team inside the redzone last season early on. We got a lot better at scoring inside the redzone as the season went on, but it took a few weeks to really figure it out. We never really got to where we were that good of a team in goalline situations that I can remember. We did have a few good plays in goalline situations though.

I think the change from struggling in the redzone early and executing in the redzone later in the season had more to do with our team figuring out it's offense. Everyone simply got better at their assignments. I think it was more that than them playing themselves into shape and all of a sudden having energy to go another 20 yards.

It could be a little of both though I guess. It really doesn't matter how good of shape you are in. Early season games are HOT. You are going to get tired. I think a lot of times teams get mistaken for out of shape early when it has more to do with the weather than it does conditioning. It's not a coincidence that teams seem fresher on cooler days.

justmaybe

I think The coaches looked at the schedule and saw each of the first four games as getting just a little progressively tougher and thought they could just get a little better each week and win. Then Toledo spoiled everything. The team took them lightly in part because their first game was canceled. They were better than predicted. We had some really ill timed penalties or would have won easily. That mentally got them messed up then we got a mad Texas tech. I think the coaches had a good plan but execution was poor with the reworked oline. Still don't do stupid stuff against Toledo and it would have been different the next couple of weeks

LRHawg

Excellent points Muskogee.  The oline was perhaps overly confident going into last year. They also were using a newer scheme that Enos favored.  A zone step then up into your man power blocking scheme.  Not just the straight down hill we saw in 2014. At times they weren't able to get to the second level and sometimes outsized defenses would backside slant.  They didn't perform well against back side slants the first three games.  It's my understanding that Pittman pushed for and then and then they chose to revert back. The scheme was changed by game 4.  Back to the down hill power.  The technique they are learning from Anderson has different assignments and they are spending countless hours as an OLine group working on footwork and film study.  If you can, go find some Buffalo Bills video from last year.  That's our new scheme.

Thanks for sharing!

hoghevn

I thought due to injuries and on being so thin in multiple areas; they didn't do 2 a days for reasons of not having anymore injuries. 
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."