Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach B's committment

Started by Rzback, June 21, 2016, 02:40:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the chances Coach B would jump ship if another school waves more $$$ in his face to coach them?

0% he's here for the long haul
1 - 24% no plans to go anywhere and a few more bucks won't get his attention
25 - 50% not wanting to leave but would expect pay to rise with performance and demand
51 - 74% $$$ get his attention but would stay if the money is right
75 - 99% available if the right $$$ are offered
100% Show me the money and I will be there

Rzback

Just wondering how committed Coach B is to coaching at Arkansas long term.  :razorback:
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

bigdaddyhawg

So, how is a poll on Hogville going to tell you what those chances are?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hobhog

I think the NFL is a bigger lure than another program. I hope he continues winning so this indeed becomes a possibility and Long steps up to the plate. But we cant match NFL $$$.

Wildhog

Quote from: hobhog on June 21, 2016, 02:47:29 pm
I think the NFL is a bigger lure than another program. I hope he continues winning so this indeed becomes a possibility and Long steps up to the plate. But we cant match NFL $$$.

I agree.  I could see him taking an NFL job.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

NaturalStateReb

I just don't think coaches leave P5 gigs for money anymore.  With as much money as there is now, practically everywhere that's a major P5 program is a destination job. 

If Bielema leaves, it'll be because he got let go or he found another situation that he personally liked better.  It's not going to be for money; Arkansas would be able to approximately match about anyone.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

King Kong

NFL maybe.

But there are only a handful of schools that can outbid us and they would have to desperately want CBB to pay him what 6-7million a year

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Rzback on June 21, 2016, 02:40:03 pm
Just wondering how committed Coach B is to coaching at Arkansas long term.  :razorback:

Why wonder? Coaches are just like anyone else at any other job. They come and go as they please or unless they are fired. Most people have had several jobs. I have always liked the job I was working at right up until the time I quit.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

It won't be about money IF he were to leave.  It will be because either he tires of being at the program with the toughest recruiting situation in SECW death gauntlet and has an opportunity at a good program where he is on a more equal footing within his conference or it will be 5-7 seasons down the road and we'll part with him.  10 seasons is a long time for a coach to stay at most any program especially within the SEC.  Arkansas is a good job but a very tough job. 

I think he is very committed and we hopefully won't have to start to consider this for several more seasons. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

k.c.hawg

He left Wisky for defined reasons. None of which are or ever will be a problem at Arkansas. The only reason I could see an SEC coach leaving other than Vandy or Kentucky, would be tiring of butting heads in a division that is sick with power.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Cinco de Hogo

Don't even want to think that deeply about it.  He's our coach until he ain't.  To many reasons and senarios to consider.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Rzback on June 21, 2016, 02:40:03 pm

So you thought asking a bunch of morons like us was a good idea?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

go hogues

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 21, 2016, 03:58:31 pm
It will be because either he tires of being at the program with the toughest recruiting situation in SECW
This.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

TUSKtimes

I would guess the shelf life for an NFL coach is much less than even an SEC coach. If Bielema likes the teaching and mentoring that is unique to college, he's got it made.

rljjr

I think he's in for the long haul. He's building a program from the inside out. He gets to create his baby in his image. It's his -- all of it. He will be judged by this far more than Wisc. He's already doing a better coaching job than Wisc. He's still growing as a coach and leader and really beginning to feel his oats. I hope he stays as long as he wants unless he totally changes his personality. He's everything a HC should be.

nchogg

Quote from: rljjr on June 21, 2016, 05:28:39 pm
I think he's in for the long haul. He's building a program from the inside out. He gets to create his baby in his image. It's his -- all of it. He will be judged by this far more than Wisc. He's already doing a better coaching job than Wisc. He's still growing as a coach and leader and really beginning to feel his oats. I hope he stays as long as he wants unless he totally changes his personality. He's everything a HC should be.
Like your answer. I totally agree with you. Go Hogs!

hoglady

Our recruiting situation is tough for any coach, no doubt.
BUT our admin (Jeff Long) appears to be totally committed to Beliema, and willing to give him what he wants and needs to be successful. Long and Beliema appear from the outside to have a really good working relationship. Beliema's been in a prior situation where that wasn't the case - I don't see him leaving as long as he has Jeff Long's support.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on June 21, 2016, 06:11:12 pm
Our recruiting situation is tough for any coach, no doubt.
BUT our admin (Jeff Long) appears to be totally committed to Beliema, and willing to give him what he wants and needs to be successful. Long and Beliema appear from the outside to have a really good working relationship. Beliema's been in a prior situation where that wasn't the case - I don't see him leaving as long as he has Jeff Long's support.

"i" before "e", lol.

PonderinHog

The best thing for all parties involved is for him to keep putting more  yearly wins on his resume'.  If he chooses to leave, and he probably will at some point, the next man up will have ample proof that winning is quite possible at Arkansas, since it is expected.  Hopefully, he wins big and retires from coaching at Arkansas in another 15 years or so.

:razorback:

Tyro3

Another lame thread, I know it's only June, but come on.

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on June 21, 2016, 06:14:53 pm
"i" before "e", lol.

I give up - I have a mental block with his name.
Man - I thought I had it right this time. Need to just stick with Coach B.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ALLVOL

I don't think there's anything to worry about in the near future.

Hawgey-Davidson

Loved this hire from the beginning. This man gets it. Our next Coach Broyles in waiting. Just my view. He will do something special here. I feel awesome where he is taking this program. #Uncommon comes to mind.

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on June 21, 2016, 06:48:45 pm
I give up - I have a mental block with his name.
Man - I thought I had it right this time. Need to just stick with Coach B.

My suggestions on my tablet have it spelled correctly, all I have to type is "B", haha.

clutch

I think he's here for a while. I really don't think he has much interest in coaching in the NFL, at least not right now. That could change in the future. I think he enjoys the college game. He seems to be a man that enjoys a challenge, so if he goes on to have a lot of success here he might then shift his focus towards an NFL move. I have a feeling he's had multiple chances to go to the NFL so far and has turned them down.

I really hope he's here for a while. I believe he will get it done. I like his approach. He's building for sustained success and not just a quick run. I think that's the template that needs to be followed at Arkansas to be competitive year after year. I like his attitude. He says all the right things, he's likeable, and he holds the players accountable.

Svrdhd

I think he's here a while. If we get to 10 wins every 3 years or so, he's actually very safe.
Regarding the NFL, disciplinarian-style coaches seem to have a tough transition from college to the pros, CBB is a very smart guy and likely already knows this.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

clutch

Quote from: Svrdhd on June 21, 2016, 09:23:08 pm
I think he's here a while. If we get to 10 wins every 3 years or so, he's actually very safe.
Regarding the NFL, disciplinarian-style coaches seem to have a tough transition from college to the pros, CBB is a very smart guy and likely already knows this.

I definitely think that is one of the things that has kept him from attempting the pro game so far. He likes to have control of his players and that will just never happen in the NFL. It's hard to have much authority over guys who make more than you. If you are butting heads with a superstar you are likely to get the ax instead of him.

theFlyingHog

I think he'll stay unless:

He doesn't win here and thinks he can win elsewhere.

He(or Jen) doesn't really like NWA.

jgphillips3

I really think the next stop is the NFL.  I don't think he'll jump to another college job or I'll say 5% chance or less.

Sivad

Hope he's here a long time. He seems like a perfect fit and I've enjoyed him from the first day he stepped up to the mike at his introductory press conference.

LZH

I could see him leaving Arkansas for Iowa if they came up with totally ridiculous amount of money...(look at what they've paid KF over the years for HDN-type results)...but if we really wanted to keep him, they wouldn't win a bidding war with JL and the RF if it came to that. Unless an NFL team comes calling (which isn't likely IMO), he's here for the long haul unless he hits a bad streak and gets bounced (which isn't likely, either).

Jeff Long has obviously given him a long leash and so far he's earned the right to stay for several years even with a sub-par season here or there. (A couple of years ago there's no way I would have believed that would have come out of my mouth lol).

GuvHog

Quote from: LZH on June 22, 2016, 06:31:52 am
I could see him leaving Arkansas for Iowa if they came up with totally ridiculous amount of money...(look at what they've paid KF over the years for HDN-type results)...but if we really wanted to keep him, they wouldn't win a bidding war with JL and the RF if it came to that. Unless an NFL team comes calling (which isn't likely IMO), he's here for the long haul unless he hits a bad streak and gets bounced (which isn't likely, either).

Jeff Long has obviously given him a long leash and so far he's earned the right to stay for several years even with a sub-par season here or there. (A couple of years ago there's no way I would have believed that would have come out of my mouth lol).

Agreed. I believe Iowa is the only University he would leave for and not necessarily because of the money but because Iowa is his Alma mater. He might take a shot at the NFL but I doubt it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

RazorWhacker

Quote from: Tyro3 on June 21, 2016, 06:22:27 pm
Another lame thread, I know it's only June, but come on.

You forgot the links to the super awesome threads you started this month.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on June 22, 2016, 08:07:18 am
Agreed. I believe Iowa is the only University he would leave for and not necessarily because of the money but because Iowa is his Alma mater. He might take a shot at the NFL but I doubt it.

It took courage and vision for Bret Bielema to leave Wisconsin for Arkansas, just as it took courage and vision for Frank Broyles to leave Missouri for Arkansas in 1958.  Georgia Tech was Broyles' alma mater and came calling in the 60's.  Broyles didn't budge.

Bret Bielema seems to have a purpose at Arkansas.  If he leaves it will probably be because, as Atlanta says, he will finally give up on any chance of winning a title in Fayetteville.  But Bielema doesn't strike me as a guy who throws in the towel easily.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

buldozer

CBB would probably leave for the right offer that Arkansas couldn't match, no doubt about that in my mind, but the more likely scenario to play out is he becomes frustrated if he is not able to accomplish what he wants here.... and and then a  bama or someone comes and makes an offer.... where he knows he can do it, then he bolts in a heartbeat IMO. I hope he does it here before that happens and then he may stay and make a legacy program at Arkansas

Mike_e

Y'all seem to be forgetting two things:

1)  Fayetteville Arkansas is the third best place to live in the United States

2)  Jeff Long is a good boss to work for.

Both are way up the list of things needed for a happy life.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Rzback

interesting that 75% of you more or less say he stays long term if the money is right.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Biggus Piggus

The poll lacks the only reasonable answer, which is "How the Frank would we know, [CENSORED]?"
[CENSORED]!

Torqued pork

Who knows? I'm only sure trying to recruit the number of exceptional out-of-state players we have to have must get frustrating.

Too bad  17 year-olds don't give a crap.how highly rated NWA is when it comes to lists of best places to live.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: buldozer on June 22, 2016, 09:08:59 am
CBB would probably leave for the right offer that Arkansas couldn't match, no doubt about that in my mind, but the more likely scenario to play out is he becomes frustrated if he is not able to accomplish what he wants here.... and and then a  bama or someone comes and makes an offer.... where he knows he can do it, then he bolts in a heartbeat IMO. I hope he does it here before that happens and then he may stay and make a legacy program at Arkansas

We can match any offer if we want to.  Just get the Waltons, tysons, and blasingames on board and no school in the country will be able to outbid us for CBb. 

MJ2

Would someone offer more than the $4M/year he makes now?   Just don't see it happening.   Needs to prove himself in the SEC to add to his value.

justasportsfan

His commitment is only going to be as good as his record.  He is a smart cookie but this season better show marked improvement.  That thread about the highest paid state employees put a target on his back, and there will be those that expect results.

ricepig

Quote from: justasportsfan on June 25, 2016, 10:47:51 am
His commitment is only going to be as good as his record.  He is a smart cookie but this season better show marked improvement.  That thread about the highest paid state employees put a target on his back, and there will be those that expect results.
The football head coach has been the highest state employee forever, it changes nothing, lol. As far as results, everyone has different expectations.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

Inhogswetrust

Good grief.................what planet do you people come from...................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wildhog

So, what are your expectations for CBB, win-wise, over the next few seasons?  Every coach has to meet a certain standard of winning at some point.  Not flaming- genuinely curious what your expectations are.  The other poster wasn't entirely wrong.  He's making 4M a year, and with that comes scrutiny.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 25, 2016, 02:23:23 pm
So, what are your expectations for CBB, win-wise, over the next few seasons?  Every coach has to meet a certain standard of winning at some point.  Not flaming- genuinely curious what your expectations are.  The other poster wasn't entirely wrong.  He's making 4M a year, and with that comes scrutiny.

8-4, with the occasional above to offset the once every 5 or 6 year win total of 6. As far as salary, that's the norm in the conference, so I don't think too much scrutiny if the norm is maintained.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 25, 2016, 02:40:38 pm
8-4, with the occasional above to offset the once every 5 or 6 year win total of 6. As far as salary, that's the norm in the conference, so I don't think too much scrutiny if the norm is maintained.

I have the same expectations as you.  8-4 average. 6-6 in a down year.  10+ wins in a good year.

I just meant that anyone making that much money deserves healthy scrutiny.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on June 25, 2016, 02:23:23 pm
A clean, competitive program that is consistently top-25 caliber and steps up when the stars align.

This is Arkansas.  We don't have the talent base to be Alabama.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on June 25, 2016, 02:59:51 pm
A clean, competitive program that is consistently top-25 caliber and steps up when the stars align.

This is Arkansas.  We don't have the talent base to be Alabama.

The expectations that I laid out are far from Alabama's. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 25, 2016, 03:02:13 pm
The expectations that I laid out are far from Alabama's.

Pre or post Saban??