Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which SEC Team Could Pull a Cleveland Like Run?

Started by hogcard1964, June 21, 2016, 12:15:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

I dig it.  Enjoy...

The city of Cleveland had a world champion for the first time since 1964.

For more than 50 years, Clevelanders suffered through repeated mediocrity, with a few close calls sprinkled in here and there. Though the SEC is certainly no stranger to winning championships, there are a few teams in the conference dealing with Cleveland-like difficulties, leaving many fan bases wondering when the misery will end.

A few of these tormented teams have a chance to pull a Cleveland this season, and a few others could be building toward it.

ARKANSAS

Last national title: 1964

Arkansas isn't there, but Bret Bielema could be building in that direction. He played in three straight Rose Bowls, and though he hasn't signed elite classes in Fayetteville, he's done well implementing his system and gaining total buy-in from players. Bielema is known for his physical running approach, but he has also shown an ability to evolve with Dan Enos' much more pass-friendly offense last season.

But the Hogs have been too inconsistent in Bielema's three seasons. He will head into his fourth season with an 18-20 record, including 7-17 in SEC play. Arkansas is still a ways off, but Bielema has Arkansas back in the SEC discussion, and it's creeping back into the national scene.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/117909/which-sec-team-could-pull-a-cleveland-like-run-soon

Sed76

Well, it helps to have a once in a lifetime athlete like Cleveland has. We had one back in 2006 but Hootie screwed the pooch on that one.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Sed76 on June 21, 2016, 12:27:00 pm
Well, it helps to have a once in a lifetime athlete like Cleveland has. We had one back in 2006 but Hootie screwed the pooch on that one.

Casey Dick?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"