Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN The Magazine, doesn't think much of us

Started by ricepig, June 19, 2016, 03:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

nchogg

They never have and I could give a horses a** and no disrespect horses.

longpig

Looks like they drew 3 thru 7 out of a hat, which is probably as good a method as any for this season.
Don't be scared, be smart.

IronMountainHog

Ironically, most of us don't think much of ESPN the Magazine.

Smalltownhog95

Lol. A season ago everyone thought Les Miles was on the hot seat. Now they're predicted number 1 and don't have a proven passing game.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

longpig

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on June 19, 2016, 05:03:24 pm
Lol. A season ago everyone thought Les Miles was on the hot seat. Now they're predicted number 1 and don't have a proven passing game.

No kiddn, the nobrainer with these preseason rankings is proven qb play.  Ole Miss has a solid qb, us and everyone else besides LSU is unproven.  LSU's proven it sucks, @QB and even worse @ OC.

flynhog

Lets not worry about this now.  what a moron i am.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

ricepig

Quote from: flynhog on June 19, 2016, 05:30:36 pm
this is the first poll that has us winning 8 games.

That's last year's record.

lefty08

I think it's laughable that this team finishes last
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

bigdaddyhawg

I haven't looked at what MSU has returning, but considering they lost the heart of that team and the guy who their entire offense revolved around, I'm more than surprised they are picking them in the middle.

Do they know something we don't?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PORKULATOR

Yeah MSU recruited some Hyper violent players,  barely fit for society that apparently will control both sides of the ball while only playing D and riding out suspensions.
lol 😁
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Torqued pork

Hate on Ole Miss all you want, but five consecutive losses against MSU would be terrible.

MuskogeeHogFan

June 20, 2016, 07:25:16 am #14 Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:37:45 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 20, 2016, 06:56:18 am
I haven't looked at what MSU has returning, but considering they lost the heart of that team and the guy who their entire offense revolved around, I'm more than surprised they are picking them in the middle.

-Ole Miss will probably have a good offense but they have some big questions to answer on defense.
-A&M has some serious questions on offense, but return most of their defense.
-Miss St is positioned to be pretty good on both sides of the ball, if they can find a good trigger man.
-Auburn loses half of their rushing and receiving yards but returns a lot of their O-Line. Their D-Line should be strong, but they have huge holes to fill at LB and about half of their production at DB.
-Arkansas-We know our strengths and weaknesses and what we have to overcome.

Unless "Lester" screws the pooch, it will be LSU and Alabama for 1st and 2nd and the more even race among everyone else will be for 3rd. I'm not putting a lot of stock into a poll that is issued in June.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

Good news is that these predictions rarely are accurate.

RazorBassin

Quote from: mizzouman on June 20, 2016, 07:33:05 am
Good news is that these predictions rarely are accurate.

Yeah, I remember one of these from a few years ago.  I believe it was Sports Illustrated had Texas picked to win it all.  Cover of the issue, big hype, lights, cameras, barely finished with a winning record, lol.  If there is one thing I have learned about football polls throughout the years, it is that the media preseason polls are almost always completely wrong.  I wish I could see everyone one of the preseason top 50 polls for the last 20 years side by side with the final polls.  Would be great to see how badly they miss on most of them.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ricepig on June 19, 2016, 03:49:46 pm
https://twitter.com/seccountry/status/744632272792387584

The top 3 are solid predictions. The remaining order is anyone's guess as all have question marks entering the season. I would see the Hogs in 4th, but I am a homer.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

jkstock04

Miss state being there in middle is the one I see as a little weird...but maybe they have more coming back than I know of. Hogs being last or next to last isn't surprising.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ChitownHawg

June 20, 2016, 08:16:54 am #19 Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:42:31 am by ChitownHawg
Quote from: jkstock04 on June 20, 2016, 08:09:03 am
Miss state being there in middle is the one I see as a little weird...but maybe they have more coming back than I know of. Hogs being last or next to last isn't surprising.

I agree it is weird. When you lose such a dominant player like Dak, the following year, unless you're Bama, is usually tough. I think this will be a tough year for MSU.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 20, 2016, 08:16:54 am
I agree it is weird. When you lose such a dominant player like Dak, the following year, unless your Bama, is usually tough. I think this will be a tough year for MSU.

That really is the only key piece of the puzzle that they have to replace. I know, a big piece given his contributions last year, but they have a good supporting cast returning who might be able to take up some of the slack.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 20, 2016, 07:25:16 am
-Ole Miss will probably have a good offense but they have some big questions to answer on defense.
-A&M has some serious questions on offense, but return most of their defense.
-Miss St is positioned to be pretty good on both sides of the ball, if they can find a good trigger man.
-Auburn loses half of their rushing and receiving yards but returns a lot of their O-Line. Their D-Line should be strong, but they have huge holes to fill at LB and about half of their production at DB.
-Arkansas-We know our strengths and weaknesses and what we have to overcome.

Unless "Lester" screws the pooch, it will be LSU and Alabama for 1st and 2nd and the more even race among everyone else will be for 3rd. I'm not putting a lot of stock into a poll that is issued in June.

Arkansas gets the top 3 in ESPN's predictions at home plus Florida. Do you honestly see the Hogs going winless at home in SEC play??? That's basically what they are predicting and I just don't see that happening.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

a0ashle

I don't care about ESPN's rankings one way or another... but taking a step back and looking at the west this year... I wouldn't want to have to rank them. Ranking 1-7 gives a false impression of distance between the ranks, when really theirs a hair's breadth gap between 2-7.

Just keep an eye out at all the preseason rankings, if they vary wildly from 2-7, that's evidence of how close everyone is.

longpig

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 20, 2016, 06:56:18 am

They know Dan Mullins can make do with what he's got and win games.

jjdlc

It's the same song and dance every year.  ESPN gets all weak in the knees about LSU's potential, while failing to remember Lester is still in charge, and they still don't have a QB.

longpig

June 20, 2016, 09:01:59 am #25 Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:22:36 am by longpig
Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 20, 2016, 07:39:54 am
The top 3 are solid predictions. The remaining order is anyone's guess as all have question marks entering the season. I would see the Hogs in 4th, but I am a homer.  ;D

You think Ole Miss and LSU are solid top 3 this season?  They should've put Bama 1st, bracketed the rest and put them all at 2nd.

rljjr

I'm perfectly happy being undervalued. More over I'm always shocked by how LSU is overrated at the beginning of every season. I guess maybe these guys think if they keep doing it they'll get it right once.

I think what might be a better question for debate are a couple of opening weekend tilts.  What is Ole Miss' margin of defeat by FSU? I think they're going to get curb stomped, but it's the opening weekend so anything can happen. Calling for a 17 point loss.

Can LSU beat Wisconsin? Lester got lucky the last time they opened the season with them. Wisconsin by 3.

There. Now I've made a couple of picks. I'm now supremely qualified to work for SDS or Bleacher Report or SEC Country.

The Kig

Every team has uncertainty right now.  Even Bama...although they have less with their talent pool. 

We lost the best TE in the country, one of the leagues best RBs (really 2 w/ JWill), a 5th year senior QB that surprised many with his grit and efficiency and return almost intact a Defense that was absolutely horrid at times.  Yeah, no idea why they would pick us to finish at or near the bottom... /s

However, we know something they don't.  There is reason for optimism, but we will have to prove it on the field.
Poker Porker

jgphillips3

On paper, that's sensible.  We lost virtually our entire offense except the receivers.  I still believe we should finish in the 3-5 range though.

PonderinHog

Quote from: longpig on June 20, 2016, 09:01:59 am
You think Ole Miss and LSU are solid top 3 this season?  They should've put Bama 1st, bracketed the rest and put them all at 2nd.
Yeah, if you ain't the lead dog, the view's the same.

atekido

Maybe when the Hogs stop losing to Toledo and TT there will be more respect.  Maybe when we are dominating teams instead of getting by in Overtime...  Honestly stop being a panzy because some people are smart enough to realize facts and not ignore parts of a season.

The_Boot_stops_here

Hogs33

Quote from: ricepig on June 19, 2016, 03:49:46 pm
https://twitter.com/seccountry/status/744632272792387584

It stinks but I kinda agree with ESPN... Right now the the strongest part of our team is our WR core (which has an unproven QB throwing to them) and our defense (which was horrid in the passing game last year). Got to earn respect!
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

Seebs

Next time I read ESPN the Magazine will be the first time I read ESPN the Magazine.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

GuvHog

Quote from: rljjr on June 20, 2016, 09:19:32 am
I'm perfectly happy being undervalued. More over I'm always shocked by how LSU is overrated at the beginning of every season. I guess maybe these guys think if they keep doing it they'll get it right once.

I think what might be a better question for debate are a couple of opening weekend tilts.  What is Ole Miss' margin of defeat by FSU? I think they're going to get curb stomped, but it's the opening weekend so anything can happen. Calling for a 17 point loss.

Can LSU beat Wisconsin? Lester got lucky the last time they opened the season with them. Wisconsin by 3.

There. Now I've made a couple of picks. I'm now supremely qualified to work for SDS or Bleacher Report or SEC Country.

I hope you are wrong about that LSU-Wisconsin game. I'm certainly not an LSU fan by any stretch of the imagination, but the Badger faithful have been badmouthing CBB and the Razorback football program ever since he left there so it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if LSU curb stomps the living crap out of them.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jkstock04

Quote from: jjdlc on June 20, 2016, 09:00:45 am
It's the same song and dance every year.  ESPN gets all weak in the knees about LSU's potential, while failing to remember Lester is still in charge, and they still don't have a QB.
It's dependent on the context. If the school is threatening to fire him all the sudden company lines across the country are that he's one of the best coaches in the country.

When they get picked with high expectations it's the opposite with the mantra of "well they have Les Miles as coach so they will underachieve."

Personally I look forward to seeing LSU fall flat on their face come the meat of conference time. I have no doubt they will beat Wisconsin out the gate and set expectations even higher.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Hogs33 on June 20, 2016, 11:09:30 am
It stinks but I kinda agree with ESPN... Right now the the strongest part of our team is our WR core (which has an unproven QB throwing to them) and our defense (which was horrid in the passing game last year). Got to earn respect!
These rankings mean nothing, obviously.  Did LSU become that much better than us in this short of time span?

Hogs33

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on June 20, 2016, 11:45:53 am
These rankings mean nothing, obviously.  Did LSU become that much better than us in this short of time span?

My answer would be NO, I would not have LSU number 1 preseason either, but they do have talent and if they can find a QB to get them going they will be very good. I also think Arkansas has a great chance to beat everyone in the West.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

EastexHawg

Quote from: RazorBassin on June 20, 2016, 07:38:53 am
Yeah, I remember one of these from a few years ago.  I believe it was Sports Illustrated had Texas picked to win it all.  Cover of the issue, big hype, lights, cameras, barely finished with a winning record, lol.  If there is one thing I have learned about football polls throughout the years, it is that the media preseason polls are almost always completely wrong.  I wish I could see everyone one of the preseason top 50 polls for the last 20 years side by side with the final polls.  Would be great to see how badly they miss on most of them.

Unfortunately I also remember 1972 when Street & Smith's had Joe Ferguson on the cover and picked Arkansas to win the national championship.  We went into the Texas Tech game 5-5, benched Ferguson, and won with Scott Bull at QB to barely salvage a winning record.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hogs33 on June 20, 2016, 03:25:38 pm
My answer would be NO, I would not have LSU number 1 preseason either, but they do have talent and if they can find a QB to get them going they will be very good. I also think Arkansas has a great chance to beat everyone in the West.

I don't think it's a matter of Les Miles not being able to find a quarterback.  On the contrary, I think he ends up playing exactly the type of QB he wants to play.  Now, your guess is as good as mine why he likes having a guy under center who can't execute a good Texas high school passing offense.

If Jordan Jefferson had been given 30 years of eligibility by the NCAA he would be Miles' QB for life.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 20, 2016, 08:43:15 am
Arkansas gets the top 3 in ESPN's predictions at home plus Florida. Do you honestly see the Hogs going winless at home in SEC play??? That's basically what they are predicting and I just don't see that happening.

I wasn't making a prediction of finish, except for LSU and Alabama.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: longpig on June 20, 2016, 09:01:59 am

I agree with you Bama should be #1, but I do think at this point LSU and Ole Miss are good at 2 and 3.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 20, 2016, 09:35:50 am
Yeah, if you ain't the lead dog, the view's the same.

;D yep we have been looking at butts for a few years.  ;)

goodguytex

It's hardly a surprise some or most in the media don't have high expectations for us this year with what we are replacing on offense. I've been of the belief 2017 and 2018 will be the years with our best shot at winning the SEC. This year, we will hopefully win 8 games, and if we do, I'll be very happy.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: longpig on June 20, 2016, 08:56:18 am
They know Dan Mullins can make do with what he's got and win games.

Really??  Because before Dak came along the were below the middle of the SEC pack year in and year out during Dan's tenure.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HamSammich

Ummm... Why in the heck would anyone pick Arkansas to do better than last? Results talk , bs walks...

When/if/maybe we have our breakout year things will be picked differently. But until then guys, count up our total conference wins in the last four years on two hands.

HamSammich

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on June 20, 2016, 11:45:53 am

Yes, yes they did . It's called attrition and depth. They for the first time in a decade didn't lose much to graduation and the NFL . We did.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HamSammich on June 20, 2016, 10:02:05 pm
Yes, yes they did . It's called attrition and depth. They for the first time in a decade didn't lose much to graduation and the NFL . We did.

Goodness, I hope LSU never solves the QB riddle.  It's been fun playing them the last couple years.  I want that to continue.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: HamSammich on June 20, 2016, 10:02:05 pm

Your opinion.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: atekido on June 20, 2016, 11:05:02 am
Maybe when the Hogs stop losing to Toledo and TT there will be more respect.  Maybe when we are dominating teams instead of getting by in Overtime...  Honestly stop being a panzy because some people are smart enough to realize facts and not ignore parts of a season.

Ole Miss lost to Memphis, which was no worse than our loss to Toledo. Plus, you bitch about us beating Ole Miss in overtime. You do realize a win is a win, right? Honestly, stop being such a moron.