Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How will rushing carries be split up in 2016?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 19, 2016, 08:37:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

As we continue to move toward the opening of fall camp, I was wondering how all of you thought that carries might be split up in the coming season.

Now we all know that both Rawleigh and Kody are coming back from injury and so that does leave some question marks while we wait to see how fully they have recovered. We also know that Damon Mitchell has been moved to RB and Juan Day also returns and we add two young men with a ton of potential in T.J. Hammonds and Devwah Whaley.

As food for thought, here is how the carries among RB's have been split out over the past 3 seasons and how productive each RB ended up being in games. The purpose of this is to perhaps illustrate how many carries Bielema is going to be willing to give the RB's and of course another factor is that we don't know for certain how the development of the O-Line may effect how Enos calls the offense.

In any case, here are the numbers and I'll be interested to see how all of you feel about how the carries might be split up among the talent that we have available.

2015                       J-Will      Collins      Walker      R-Will      D. Mitchell      Day      Evans     K. Marshall    K. Small     N. Holmes     Total
Games                       0            13            9              7               12            1            6               0                0                0
Carries                      0            271          90            56                4             4           6               0                0                0            431
Net Yds                      0          1577         394          254               29           17          48              0                0                0           2319
Carries/Gm                 0          20.8         10.0          8.0               .3           4.0         1.0              0                0                0           44.2
Yds/Gm                      0         121.3         43.8         36.3             2.4         17.0         8.0             0                0                0           228.8
Yds/Carry                   0           5.8           4.4           4.5             7.3           4.3         8.0             0                0                0             5.2
TD's/Gm                     0           1.5           0.7          0.14            0.0           0.0         0.0              0               0                0             2.3
% of Carries               0           47.2         22.6         18.1            0.8           9.0         2.3              0               0                0
% of Yards                 0           53.0         19.1         15.9            1.1           7.4         3.5              0               0                0

Games                     13            13            13             0               4             0            9                6               0                0
Carries                    211          204           31             0               6             0            7                25              0                0            484
Net Yds                  1190         1100          149            0              58            0           36               119             0                0           2652
Carries/Gm             16.2          15.7          2.4            0              1.5            0          0.8               4.2             0                0            40.8
Yds/Gm                  91.5          84.6         11.5            0             14.5           0          4.0              19.8            0                0            225.9
Yds/Carry                5.6            5.4           4.8            0              9.7            0          5.1               4.8            0                0              5.5
TD's/Gm                  .92            .92           .08            0               0             0            0                .17            0                0              2.1
% of Carries            39.8          38.5          5.8            0              3.7            0          1.9              10.2            0                0
% of Yds                 40.5          37.5          5.1            0              6.4            0          1.8               8.8            0                 0

Games                    12              12            8              0               0             0            0                 8              12               4
Carries                   150            190           6              0               0             0            0                 17             40               6             409
Net Yds                   900           1026         32             0               0             0            0                146            151              17           2272
Carries/Gm             12.5           15.8         0.8             0               0             0            0                2.1             3.3             1.5           36.0
Yds/Gm                  75.0           85.5         4.0             0               0             0            0               18.3            12.6            4.3           199.6
Yds/Carry                6.0             5.4          5.3            0               0             0            0                 8.6             3.8             2.8            5.5
TD's/Gm                  .33             .33           0              0               0             0            0                 0               .25              0              .92
% of Carries            34.7           44.0         2.1            0               0             0            0                 5.9             9.3             4.2           
% of Yds                 37.6           42.8         2.0            0               0             0            0                 9.1             6.3             2.1
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

It is clear Bielema would really love to have three main backs. The third was never quite there in 2013-15.

If they can get the right three, they will go roughly 40%-40%-20%. And my guess would be RWIII-Whaley-Walker.

Can Walker rise up and be a lead back? Can he handle the pounding? He might start out the season with 20-ish carries, but I'm not going to say it is likely he finishes that way.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 19, 2016, 03:23:06 pm
It is clear Bielema would really love to have three main backs. The third was never quite there in 2013-15.

If they can get the right three, they will go roughly 40%-40%-20%. And my guess would be RWIII-Whaley-Walker.

Can Walker rise up and be a lead back? Can he handle the pounding? He might start out the season with 20-ish carries, but I'm not going to say it is likely he finishes that way.

I know Bielema has touted Walker as an every down back, but Kody has yet to prove that in 5 years. I think he'll be the short yardage pounder and 4th quarter back. Maybe he'll surprise me and prove me wrong.

PonderinHog

+-10% on any the following:

Williams       25%
Whaley         25%
Walker         25%
Hammonds   25%

:razorback:

nchogg

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 19, 2016, 03:28:11 pm
+-10% on any the following:

Williams       25%
Whaley         25%
Walker         25%
Hammonds   25%

:razorback:
I kinda like it. But if you're the hot back you will get the carries and we never got to see the 1-2 punch with RWIII and AC after the dirty play by Auburn last year. But Walker as a Senior needs to be a pounding back all purpose back like he did in crunch time like he did with Ole Miss. But I do think it will RWIII and Whaley. But we will see. It's will have to do with dependability and ball security. For now I think RWIII and Whaley.

PonderinHog

Quote from: nchogg on June 19, 2016, 04:07:45 pm
I kinda like it. But if you're the hot back you will get the carries and we never got to see the 1-2 punch with RWIII and AC after the dirty play by Auburn last year. But Walker as a Senior needs to be a pounding back all purpose back like he did in crunch time like he did with Ole Miss. But I do think it will RWIII and Whaley. But we will see. It's will have to do with dependability and ball security. For now I think RWIII and Whaley.
That was my roundabout way of saying I have no idea, but with wiggle room.

nchogg

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 19, 2016, 04:10:12 pm
That was my roundabout way of saying I have no idea, but with wiggle room.
I first sentence said "I kinda like it"

hawgwild child

I wouldn't forget about Duwop. I think being a 5th year SR he would be physically bigger and have a better understanding of the offense than Hammonds. Barring injurys I would like to see him get the shirt.  I also think we will see way more runs from the WR's this year than in past year. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 19, 2016, 03:23:06 pm

There's a lot of "ifs" in what I am about to say, but "if" Rawleigh comes back 100% he may be the 44% RB, and "if" Whaley grasps the offensive scheme and calls/audibles at the line quickly and demonstrates the ability and willingness to block, he could garner 36% of the carries, and "if" Kody comes back at 100% he could be the guy who gets 20% (or about what he got last year-22%). But like I said, that's a lot of "ifs".

Bottom line, from game to game, whomever appears to have the hot hand or whomever isn't being keyed on as much as the other RB, is who will get the more significant amount of carries and that can easily vary from game to game just as it did in 2013 between J-Will and Collins. Still, provided that everyone comes back healthy, I think Rawleigh will be the lead RB, followed by Whaley and then Kody, with others getting a few situational carries here and there.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Just an opinion.  Whaley is the biggest break away threat. Hit them hard with RWIII and Walker for the first three quarters with the freshman getting a play here and there, then try to hit the home run against a fatigued defense with Whaley and Hammonds in the 4th. 

I'm guessing RWIII 40%
Walker 30%
Whaley 20%
Others 10%

Nothing is for sure, just a guess.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawgwild child on June 19, 2016, 05:01:30 pm
I wouldn't forget about Duwop. I think being a 5th year SR he would be physically bigger and have a better understanding of the offense than Hammonds. Barring injurys I would like to see him get the shirt.  I also think we will see way more runs from the WR's this year than in past year. 

Duwop will actually only be a RS/JR this season.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 19, 2016, 07:17:51 pm
Just an opinion.  Whaley is the biggest break away threat. Hit them hard with RWIII and Walker for the first three quarters with the freshman getting a play here and there, then try to hit the home run against a fatigued defense with Whaley and Hammonds in the 4th. 

I'm guessing RWIII 40%
Walker 30%
Whaley 20%
Others 10%

Nothing is for sure, just a guess.

I really think that if at all possible, they will R/S Hammonds. It may not be possible or they just may not want to, we will see.

I also think that for the first time since he has been here, DuWop may have found a position where he can make some big plays by going in motion out of the backfield (2 RB sets) or lining up in the slot. He averaged 9.7 and 7.3 yards per touch the last two seasons with very limited carries and most if not all of those were as a WR in motion taking a pitch or a hand off. I think he has big play speed in the open field, it is just putting him in a position to get there and I would imagine he is one of those players that Bielema expects big things from this year.
Go Hogs Go!

3kgthog

If Walker is getting 20+ carries at any point in the season, we've either suffered major injuries or have thrown in the towel.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 19, 2016, 07:49:24 pm
If Walker is getting 20+ carries at any point in the season, we've either suffered major injuries or have thrown in the towel.

Well, given that only one RB the last 3 years under Bielema has averaged 20 carries a game (Collins LY with J-Will injured), we are safe from your prediction.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 19, 2016, 07:49:07 pm
I really think that if at all possible, they will R/S Hammonds. It may not be possible or they just may not want to, we will see.

I also think that for the first time since he has been here, DuWop may have found a position where he can make some big plays by going in motion out of the backfield (2 RB sets) or lining up in the slot. He averaged 9.7 and 7.3 yards per touch the last two seasons with very limited carries and most if not all of those were as a WR in motion taking a pitch or a hand off. I think he has big play speed in the open field, it is just putting him in a position to get there and I would imagine he is one of those players that Bielema expects big things from this year.
I agree. Putting a redshirt on Hammonds would be ideal. With Duwop seeing time in the backfield, possibly even Cornelious in spots, that home run big play back could be someone we already know.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

longpig

Austin Allen is going to SHATTER his brother's rushing numbers. ;D
Don't be scared, be smart.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawgwild child on June 19, 2016, 05:01:30 pm

Did you see the Spring game? Arm tackles were taking him down. He has the size, but runs like Ronnie Wingo.

I think RW3 and DW will be our JWill and AC. Kody will be the short down back. What's the percentage of carries. Just like two years ago - who ever has the hot hand that day gets the ball.

5 games in and DW becomes #1 back.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 19, 2016, 09:06:45 pm
Did you see the Spring game? Arm tackles were taking him down. He has the size, but runs like Ronnie Wingo.

I think RW3 and DW will be our JWill and AC. Kody will be the short down back. What's the percentage of carries. Just like two years ago - who ever has the hot hand that day gets the ball.

5 games in and DW becomes #1 back.

As I recall, the staff was talking about DuWop having to adapt to a lower pad level, if he can do that, he should be fine and in any case, Wingo was at his best when you got him the ball in space. I see DuWop being the same kind of player who can find his effectiveness based upon their ability to put him in the best position to have that opportunity to be "in space" with the ball. The NFL saw that potential in Wingo, he at least had an opportunity in the NFL. He is now playing in the Canadian League, I think. You don't get those opportunities without being at the very least, good.

I think that DuWop possesses the same potential and this coming season will tell the story.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: longpig on June 19, 2016, 08:27:35 pm
Austin Allen is going to SHATTER his brother's rushing numbers. ;D

I don't mind seeing him gain "opportunity yards" whenever everything else breaks down but I hope that doesn't happen too often, for obvious reasons.
Go Hogs Go!

BigSexyHog

Good to see the Wingo love still exist.....
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 19, 2016, 09:18:30 pm
As I recall, the staff was talking about DuWop having to adapt to a lower pad level, if he can do that, he should be fine and in any case, Wingo was at his best when you got him the ball in space. I see DuWop being the same kind of player who can find his effectiveness based upon their ability to put him in the best position to have that opportunity to be "in space" with the ball. The NFL saw that potential in Wingo, he at least had an opportunity in the NFL. He is now playing in the Canadian League, I think. You don't get those opportunities without being at the very least, good.

I think that DuWop possesses the same potential and this coming season will tell the story.

I can see the pad level as being part of the issue. He is big enough to hit a few people. I know that will never be his game, but sometimes you have to pop a DB to get into space.

I'm rooting for him - if for no other reason than he as been the epitome of a team player.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 20, 2016, 05:47:39 pm
I don't mind seeing him gain "opportunity yards" whenever everything else breaks down but I hope that doesn't happen too often, for obvious reasons.

I have heard AA say that BA would tuck and run more than him. It sure looked like Enos taught BA the right times to run. He probably is doing the same for AA.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: BigSexyHog on June 20, 2016, 06:04:04 pm

I liked him a lot, but he also frustrated me. For whatever reason he never seemed to use that size and speed to his advantage. I'm hoping DW will fulfill his size / speed potential.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on June 19, 2016, 03:27:03 pm
I know Bielema has touted Walker as an every down back, but Kody has yet to prove that in 5 years. I think he'll be the short yardage pounder and 4th quarter back. Maybe he'll surprise me and prove me wrong.

When has he had an opportunity to prove it? I have no doubt that Walker can be an every down back. It's just that he hasn't been the only every down back on our team and when it comes to Walker vs JWill or Collins, I'm going to give the majority to the latter two. It isn't that he hasn't shown the ability to be an every down back, it's that he hasn't shown to be the best every down back on our roster.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BigSexyHog on June 20, 2016, 06:04:04 pm

It isn't "Wingo love" as you put it, it is just a statement of fact. His niche wasn't running into the middle of the LOS, it was when they got the ball to him in space.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

June 20, 2016, 07:26:08 pm #25 Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:53:47 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 20, 2016, 06:09:18 pm
I have heard AA say that BA would tuck and run more than him. It sure looked like Enos taught BA the right times to run. He probably is doing the same for AA.

There is a lot of "unknown" about AA at this time. My hope is that, given that he has had a year under Enos to learn, to watch his brother and develop skills, he will be the next great Enos QB and given that he has had a year under Enos, it is also my hope that he will perform from day one. We need him to perform at a high level from day one.

The down side of that is that since he is a first year starter, the staff will probably feel that he needs as many live game snaps as he can get early on, and that means fewer snaps for his back ups prior to the SEC season kicking off. Geez louise, Groundhog Day? ;)

It is also my hope that he doesn't have to prove that he is as tough as his brother, getting hammered and then getting back up and having to carry the team because we don't have anyone else ready to go.
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

I don't really thing Duwop has a chance. The freshmen are really good.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 20, 2016, 08:04:58 pm
I don't really thing Duwop has a chance. The freshmen are really good.

The Freshmen are REALLY good, but they will be rare Freshmen indeed if they don't require the time to acclimate to the SEC level of play. We will see and hope for the best.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 20, 2016, 08:51:55 pm
The Freshmen are REALLY good, but they will be rare Freshmen indeed if they don't require the time to acclimate to the SEC level of play. We will see and hope for the best.

It's rare for freshmen to get the chance in the SEC.  When the need is there freshmen running backs have often performed well.  Alex Collins is one example.  How good is Whaley?  We're probably about to find out. 

It's anybody's guess right now with so many unknowns, but Williams and Whaley look like the most likely lead backs.  The others are probably role players.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

carolinahogger

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 19, 2016, 06:23:53 pm
There's a lot of "ifs" in what I am about to say, but "if" Rawleigh comes back 100% he may be the 44% RB, and "if" Whaley grasps the offensive scheme and calls/audibles at the line quickly and demonstrates the ability and willingness to block, he could garner 36% of the carries, and "if" Kody comes back at 100% he could be the guy who gets 20%...

More like 43% / 41% / 25%.  Approximately.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 20, 2016, 09:11:15 pm
It's rare for freshmen to get the chance in the SEC.  When the need is there freshmen running backs have often performed well.  Alex Collins is one example.  How good is Whaley?  We're probably about to find out. 

It's anybody's guess right now with so many unknowns, but Williams and Whaley look like the most likely lead backs.  The others are probably role players.

I would agree with that. At least, I believe that is the hope. If Whaley can learn the offense well enough to be able to adjust to calls on the field and he is a willing blocker, I expect we will see quite a lot of him. We just have to hope that our walking wounded recover fully and remain healthy throughout the season as well.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 21, 2016, 07:00:01 am
Thanks for posting that.

No problem. 

For those with the SEC Network or WatchESPN capabilities- The Arkansas Summer Tour will be on at 10 am and 6 pm (central) today. 
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PonderinHog

Quote from: carolinahogger on June 20, 2016, 09:18:05 pm
More like 43% / 41% / 25%.  Approximately.
As long as they're giving 110%, we'll be fine.

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 21, 2016, 06:24:55 am
I would agree with that. At least, I believe that is the hope. If Whaley can learn the offense well enough to be able to adjust to calls on the field and he is a willing blocker, I expect we will see quite a lot of him. We just have to hope that our walking wounded recover fully and remain healthy throughout the season as well.

Running back may be the easiest position to learn from a playbook standpoint.  And Whaley is a stump like Collins. All he really needs to do is set a pick.  Recognizing where the rush is coming from will be his biggest challenge.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 21, 2016, 08:18:42 am
Running back may be the easiest position to learn from a playbook standpoint.  And Whaley is a stump like Collins. All he really needs to do is set a pick.  Recognizing where the rush is coming from will be his biggest challenge.

I agree and sometimes, that takes time and knowing the calls at the LOS and really having a strong understanding of the offense. I saw some video of him earlier today and he looks really good. My hope is that he is as fit, if not more so, in those 6 inches between his ears, as he seems to be physically. Everyone is expecting big things from this young man and I can certainly understand why, he is a great athlete. It would be awesome if he can adapt quickly, but even if he can't, he may very well be the next in a long line of great RB's at Arkansas.

On another note, watching ESPN's special on Arkansas going into the summer, Rawleigh and Kody both stated that their personal and group goals are to rush for 1,000 yards each. "Has to be", they said, for the rest of the team to be successful. They feel the weight of the responsibility to the team and as a part of the legacy of Arkansas RB's.
Go Hogs Go!