Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Allen

Started by arkhomer, June 17, 2016, 10:00:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

King Kong

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 18, 2016, 10:59:11 am
You need to re-read his post. He said CBP would rather lose than have less than 100 yards passing. Not CBB

This is what I was saying. I clearly didn't phrase it well enough for him to follow what I was saying

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Deep Shoat on June 17, 2016, 10:09:53 am
I'm optimistic you don't know anything about football beyond what you hear on TV.

The spring "game" isn't a game.  It's a controlled situation practice.  He wasn't going through progressions.  He was looking for specific options on every play. 

Maybe someday I won't need to explain this point...

Geez man, everything they do in practice and scrimmage means something.  You just admitted it doesn't mean anything to you so I don't think I would be looking to you for football knowledge(even if you were former NFL).  Even in those situations a knowledgable person would be able to gleam a lot of infromation.  The OP was fishing for someone with that knowledge(obviously not you or me).  He also made a statement that you could have pointedly disagreed with like others did but then what do you know.

GuvHog

Quote from: King Kong on June 18, 2016, 11:05:45 am
This is what I was saying. I clearly didn't phrase it well enough for him to follow what I was saying

Oh, Okay. Obviously I didn't read it right either. My bad. I removed that first sentence from my post.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

nchogg

Quote from: GuvHog on June 18, 2016, 08:09:11 am
I've never said that AA is a gunslinger and I don't believe he is but if CBB and Enos believe they have to rely heavily on passing the ball to win a game, there's no doubt in my mind that they will do it. A good OC always takes what the opponent's defense gives him and Enos is a very good OC.
I never said anything about you saying AA is a gunslinger and I agree with your comment.

OPoraquê

A Jacksonville sports writer is predicting Austin's brother Brandon will indeed make the Jaguar roster this season.  Don't think it merits a new thread but certainly worth mentioning here:

QuoteOFFENSE

QUARTERBACKS

2013: Three.

2014: Two.

2015: Two.

This year: Three.

1. Blake Bortles: Tied for second in the NFL last year with 35 touchdown passes and first with 18 interceptions. Twenty-nine starts into his career, if he can clean up his play in the red zone and inside his 20, another big step is secured.

2. Chad Henne: Now on his third two-year contract with the Jaguars, a reliable back-up with 53 career starts.

3. Brandon Allen: Impressed Jaguars enough during Senior Bowl Week to get drafted in the sixth round; impressed them enough in off-season that they won't want to float him on waivers.

Cut: Max Wittek. The Jaguars have usually kept a quarterback on the practice squad under Caldwell-Bradley, but Wittek may be out of luck because Allen would serve as the scout-team passer.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2016-06-18/projecting-jaguars-53-man-roster

TDHawgs

He will do one thing at Arkansas that Brandon Allen never did.. and that's beat Alabama.. mark it down!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

early 2016 season Austin Allen = late 2014 season Brandon allen
He's good and has potential to get much better but will need time on the field to develop into what he can really be.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

bennyl08

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on June 23, 2016, 09:18:26 am
early 2016 season Austin Allen = late 2014 season Brandon allen
He's good and has potential to get much better but will need time on the field to develop into what he can really be.

I don't think Austin will play anything like Brandon. Brandon played more like a young Drew Brees or a Kellen Moore. Going for the accurate and high percentage passes. Austin seems to be more like a Cutler and a Farve. He has a stronger arm and trusts his arm a lot more, willing to take the riskier throws.

I think we see our deep passing game be a consistent part of the offense for the first time since Mallett, but we also see interceptions like we did with Mallett as well. What will be interesting will be to see how much they and keep Austin in check vs let him air it out. He will make mistakes as a first year starter, but I see Austin as more wanting to thread that needle to convert the third down rather than throw it into the stands and take the punt. How much the coach's let Austin do that probably depends on their faith in the defense.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hoggish1

Quote from: arkhomer on June 17, 2016, 10:00:55 am
I've heard all of the concerns for the OL RB LBs etc... but

Let's just stop right there and tell us who you heard this from...?

PorkSoda

Quote from: TDHawgs on June 21, 2016, 11:12:12 pm
He will do one thing at Arkansas that Brandon Allen never did.. and that's beat Alabama.. mark it down!
its going to take more than one player to beat bama.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Austin is at the Manning Camp

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eqMalyK-PYs"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LZH

Go back and read what I said about BA in the past (I'm too lazy...but yes, I was right). AA will be fine. Stop trippin.....geez.

Ugly Uncle

Autin Allen came on the scene as a highly rated QB.  I talked with High School kids that were 4 and 5 star receivers and they told me that of all the camps they had gone to, AA was the best that they had played with.

He does have a stronger arm than his brother, but it will be interesting to see if he can be the closer his brother was in his Sr. year.  Brandon was not a closer early on.  Austin has the best group of receivers to throw to since Mallett and Wilson were behind center.  He will have a lot of advantages.  The only question for me will be our young running backs giving him something on the ground so our play action can work.

I'm still worried about our defense.  If our defense can keep us in games, we have enough weapons  to win those games.
Retired Radio Host

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: bennyl08 on June 23, 2016, 06:10:35 pm
I don't think Austin will play anything like Brandon. Brandon played more like a young Drew Brees or a Kellen Moore. Going for the accurate and high percentage passes. Austin seems to be more like a Cutler and a Farve. He has a stronger arm and trusts his arm a lot more, willing to take the riskier throws.

I used to think this about Brandon, but re-watching last year's games, I noticed how many times CDE's play would have a wide-open underneath guy who may have made the first down after the catch and a somewhat covered guy on the same side who was past the first-down marker. I also noticed how many times Allen chose the guy further downfield. In those replays, BA reminded me of Mallet.

Not that this has much to do with AA, but BA passed up a lot of sure things for iffier plays with more payoff.  And, more often than not, he converted them.

EFBAB

MuskogeeHogFan

June 26, 2016, 09:36:45 am #64 Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:28:33 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on June 25, 2016, 11:09:32 pm
Autin Allen came on the scene as a highly rated QB.  I talked with High School kids that were 4 and 5 star receivers and they told me that of all the camps they had gone to, AA was the best that they had played with.

He does have a stronger arm than his brother, but it will be interesting to see if he can be the closer his brother was in his Sr. year.  Brandon was not a closer early on.  Austin has the best group of receivers to throw to since Mallett and Wilson were behind center.  He will have a lot of advantages.  The only question for me will be our young running backs giving him something on the ground so our play action can work.

I'm still worried about our defense.  If our defense can keep us in games, we have enough weapons  to win those games.

Good to see you posting, Ched. I hope all is well for you and the Fam.

With regard to AA, I think he may take more chances when passing than BA did last year if only because he has less overall game experience. Pup's (and he is a "Pup" by virtue of game experience only) have to learn on the job. I expect to see more INT's thrown this year, especially earlier in the season. The question may be (as it relates to that) how well he reads defenses and checks out of bad plays and into better plays and is he willing in passing situations, to throw the ball away instead of trying to force the ball? Sometimes the best QB that you can have isn't only the one who makes big plays when they are needed, but especially for a less experienced QB, can he keep you out of bad situations and key turnovers that can damage the team effort?

Another factor is going to be the O-Line where we have a lot of question marks right now. Those questions may be answered fully by the time we hit SEC play and I hope that is the case, but we will see. It will be interesting to see what the starting O-Line ends up being when we open the season. Raulerson will certainly help, but there are other questions to be answered and if they fail to run block as well as they should, it may impact the passing game and the time that AA has to make decisions.

It would be nice if we knew for certain how physically ready and healthy our returning RB's are going to be. Kody is a heck of a short yardage/blocking kind of RB and if given the opportunity by the defense, can break some longer runs. We know Rawleigh can and will pick up good yards if he is truly 100% recovered. He is a very talented RB whose best we haven't seen yet, with only 7 games under his belt. Whaley will be at the very least, a sold contributor as a true freshman and may be more than that, though I wish that we had the depth to ease him into his role and let the game come to him, as opposed to being counted on to play a significant role early on. The same goes for T.J. Hammonds.

All of this is going to either contribute to giving AA a better chance to be successful as the next Hogs QB or make the task more difficult and challenging. WR's won't be a problem, they'll get open and find seams between coverage often enough. It is the other things (IMO) that will dictate our success early and throughout the season.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

A huge factor that will benefit Austin Allen and the team that Brandon didn't benefit from will be the greater stability with coaches.  Bielema's fourth year, Enos second year Michael Smith's fourth year.  I think that will pay big dividends across the board. 

I agree with what Muskogee said about the prospect of more interceptions early on with Austin.  I also believe Ched is right with what to expect via what he heard from kids who camped with Austin.

It should be a lot of fun watching things work out and I hold by my premise that the defense will dictate just how good we are this year.  We need them to carry us for the first half of the season if push comes to shove.

hawg IQ

I've heard all of the concerns for the OL RB LBs etc... but what's the overall consensus on how AA is going to fare this upcoming season? I wasn't overly impressed in the spring game. Looked like the pressure bothered him, locked on to receivers, and held the ball too long. Just looking for some much needed optimism.
The thing I will be looking at on Austin is the (his)mental part of the games.  Brandon, up until the last part of his senior year would break down mentally (not as in retard) , but when he was in a pressure game. examples would be throwing high or behind receivers, sometime into the stands. other examples would be allowing team (offensively) to run into a bad play, far too unproductive.
  Maybe Enos helped that on Brandon more than we know. I do think Austin has skills and the tools to be a really good qb. I also think there are and will be situations to try some of the others qbs, such as Rafe or Towns.

But if Austin immediately picks up where big brother left off, hogs stand to win a lot of games, we'll see .
go hogs go !

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hawg IQ on June 29, 2016, 09:19:30 am
The thing I will be looking at on Austin is the (his)mental part of the games.  Brandon, up until the last part of his senior year would break down mentally (not as in retard) , but when he was in a pressure game. examples would be throwing high or behind receivers, sometime into the stands. other examples would be allowing team (offensively) to run into a bad play, far too unproductive.
  Maybe Enos helped that on Brandon more than we know. I do think Austin has skills and the tools to be a really good qb. I also think there are and will be situations to try some of the others qbs, such as Rafe or Towns.

But if Austin immediately picks up where big brother left off, hogs stand to win a lot of games, we'll see .

Don't believe you have the right read on Brandon's performance in those games. It is not a mental breakdown to be late or off target throwing. Had a lot to do with how well the play was working, how much he had to freelance. And which play they ran was often dictated. They ran power stuff on purpose and didn't always execute it well up front. Brandon wasn't at liberty to take them out of those plays all the time.

The big key is how well Arkansas matches up vs. opponents, especially at receiver. If the team struggles to get anyone open on a pressure down, you will see exactly the things you attribute to "mental breakdowns." When there ain't darn there, what will Austin do? Maybe he will create more than Brandon did. Maybe he will commit more turnovers.

I hope that the skill position players will be good enough to elevate the offense.
[CENSORED]!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 29, 2016, 09:30:48 am
Don't believe you have the right read on Brandon's performance in those games. It is not a mental breakdown to be late or off target throwing. Had a lot to do with how well the play was working, how much he had to freelance. And which play they ran was often dictated. They ran power stuff on purpose and didn't always execute it well up front. Brandon wasn't at liberty to take them out of those plays all the time.

The big key is how well Arkansas matches up vs. opponents, especially at receiver. If the team struggles to get anyone open on a pressure down, you will see exactly the things you attribute to "mental breakdowns." When there ain't darn there, what will Austin do? Maybe he will create more than Brandon did. Maybe he will commit more turnovers.

I hope that the skill position players will be good enough to elevate the offense.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time arguing with either one of you.  Our problems in 2014 and early 2015 was a mixed bag of things.  I do feel the receivers got too much blame by the pro-Allen folks and BA got too much blame period.  Hatcher, HH and DM should have had a better year in 2014, some of it might have been BA but I prefer to lay in on coaching which is the easy way out since we changed OC's after the season. 

KlubhouseKonnected

I've heard all of the concerns for the OL RB LBs etc... but what's the overall consensus on how AA is going to fare this upcoming season? I wasn't overly impressed in the spring game. Looked like the pressure bothered him, locked on to receivers, and held the ball too long. Just looking for some much needed optimism.

There are unknown unknowns and known unknowns. Unknowns unknowns. Unknown unknowns are things you don't know that you don't know and known unknowns are things that you know you don't know.

Austin Allen is a known unknown.

The above message is brought to you by my own self-indulgence.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

navyhog24

Austin and Sprinkle will need to form the chemistry that Brandon and Hunter had. Hunter was good at finding the whole in the defense to help get that first down. Brandon knew all he had to do was find Hunter. Sprinkle will need to be like Hunter now and find that hole in the zone of the defense to get that first down, and they will need to find that chemistry together.

bennyl08

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on June 26, 2016, 08:49:11 am
I used to think this about Brandon, but re-watching last year's games, I noticed how many times CDE's play would have a wide-open underneath guy who may have made the first down after the catch and a somewhat covered guy on the same side who was past the first-down marker. I also noticed how many times Allen chose the guy further downfield. In those replays, BA reminded me of Mallet.

Not that this has much to do with AA, but BA passed up a lot of sure things for iffier plays with more payoff.  And, more often than not, he converted them.

EFBAB

Brees and Moore didn't just dump it off to the underneath guy every chance they got either. On something like a third down or a fourth, you'd see BA show off his arm strength and rifle it in between two defenders and into Drew Morgan's hands. First or second down though, and from what I remember, he'd usually go for the more open guy. Now, if he had an open guy 20 yards down field and an open guy 5 yards, yeah, he'll take the open guy further down field.

What I'm talking about is the qb who will throw it 30 yards downfield, trying to thread the needle b/w two defenders on first down.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

murthage

I've said this before.  2014 was, for the most part, the result of an extremely debilitating shoulder injury which required pain killers to practice only one day during the game prep, and at game time on Saturdays.  This was reported by CBB after the season.  Also, for what ever reason, CBB and CDE were not comfortable with AA enough, at that time, to bring him in when it appeared to us fans that he could have made the difference between losing and winning.  The Missouri game comes to mind.

Bottom line with me is..... I am confident with AA at this time, because CBB and CDE have made a decision on him starting, early in the process, with very positive comments on their confidence of his leading the Hogs to the promise land.   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

factchecker

Quote from: murthage on June 29, 2016, 05:12:47 pm
Also, for what ever reason, CBB and CDE were not comfortable with AA enough, at that time, to bring him in when it appeared to us fans that he could have made the difference between losing and winning.  The Missouri game comes to mind.

????

The Missouri game in question happened in 2014.  CDE (Coach Dan Enos) wasn't here in 2014.  Your thinking about Chaney.

Also 2013 was the shoulder injury season.  Brandon was much improved in 2014.  In 2013 he threw for 1552 yards   13 TDs 10 INTs compared to 2014 where he threw for 2285 yards 20 TDs and 5 INTs.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jjdlc

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 29, 2016, 12:47:14 pm
I wouldn't spend a lot of time arguing with either one of you.  Our problems in 2014 and early 2015 was a mixed bag of things.  I do feel the receivers got too much blame by the pro-Allen folks and BA got too much blame period.  Hatcher, HH and DM should have had a better year in 2014, some of it might have been BA but I prefer to lay in on coaching which is the easy way out since we changed OC's after the season. 

I believe a lot of BAs issues stemmed from him over thinking things.  He started his career with the ULM Debacle under coach smiles, and then you had the 2013 season, where the team was taking on an entirely new identity, and the schedule was particularly unkind, and a lot of things ended up going badly.  Through, 2014 and 2015, when things would get tough, BA would end up trying too hard.  Look at him after the Tennessee and Auburn games this year.  We won two tough games, and it was like BA was a different person, the monkey was off his back, and he was suddenly an NFL worthy quaterback.

That is a huge advantage that AA will have, he will be starting his career fresh, under a stable, established coaching staff.

GuvHog

Quote from: navyhog24 on June 29, 2016, 03:20:25 pm
Austin and Sprinkle will need to form the chemistry that Brandon and Hunter had. Hunter was good at finding the whole in the defense to help get that first down. Brandon knew all he had to do was find Hunter. Sprinkle will need to be like Hunter now and find that hole in the zone of the defense to get that first down, and they will need to find that chemistry together.

AA will have a luxury this season that BA didn't have last season. Last year the WRs were pretty good but this year if there is one area on offense where the Hogs are loaded, it's at WR. AA won't have to depend on Sprinkle as much because he'll have go to receivers running all over the field. I honestly believe this may be the best and deepest the Hogs have been at WR since the last 2 Petrino years. Sprinkle will be a great one but AA's  receiver options won't be limited.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: jjdlc on June 30, 2016, 07:50:23 am
I believe a lot of BAs issues stemmed from him over thinking things.  He started his career with the ULM Debacle under coach smiles, and then you had the 2013 season, where the team was taking on an entirely new identity, and the schedule was particularly unkind, and a lot of things ended up going badly.  Through, 2014 and 2015, when things would get tough, BA would end up trying too hard.  Look at him after the Tennessee and Auburn games this year.  We won two tough games, and it was like BA was a different person, the monkey was off his back, and he was suddenly an NFL worthy quaterback.

That is a huge advantage that AA will have, he will be starting his career fresh, under a stable, established coaching staff.

Your entirely right so let's just blame it on the coach that left, LOL!

Maximus Tusk

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 29, 2016, 02:56:10 pm
There are unknown unknowns and known unknowns. Unknowns unknowns. Unknown unknowns are things you don't know that you don't know and known unknowns are things that you know you don't know.

Well played my friend...

GuvHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 30, 2016, 09:05:08 am
Your entirely right so let's just blame it on the coach that left, LOL!

I have no good feelings about coach John L. Smith. He nearly destroyed BA by starting him as a true Freshman against a loaded Bama defense, it took him quite a while to recover from that.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 29, 2016, 02:56:10 pm

Have a Snickers Bar!

gmarv

Quote from: factchecker on June 29, 2016, 05:42:01 pm
????

The Missouri game in question happened in 2014.  CDE (Coach Dan Enos) wasn't here in 2014.  Your thinking about Chaney.

Also 2013 was the shoulder injury season.  Brandon was much improved in 2014.  In 2013 he threw for 1552 yards   13 TDs 10 INTs compared to 2014 where he threw for 2285 yards 20 TDs and 5 INTs.
if AA can be the same as BA was in 2014 I think we will have a good year.anything close to BA in 2015 and it could be a great year.i think our d will be closer to 2014 than 15.

hawg IQ

of course you may be right on with your thoughts about BA , offense as a whole, play calling and so on. I believe I'm right in saying the guy in the last half of his senior year was outstanding and a top quarterback, I didn't see that before.
    what changed ? maturity, enos , others kicking in on their performance, maybe all the above. I still say ability can be there, skills can be there and all, but the qb is the man and he's driving the car. He has to get it done on the field.

Question is, was it mental or some things we've both discussed, truthfully I don't know. I look for BA to do well in the pros and wish him the best.  Sorta as the line goes... "it was the worse of times , it was the best of times" or something like, that sorta expresses his career here.
go hogs go !

MO.Hog

I had a friend who's son attended the Manning camp last week.  He said behind Deshaun Watson (who was in a league his own).  That Austin looked as good as any, especially with the deep ball.  Also said that Alabama's quarterback will pose absolutely no threat downfield unless he improves drastically.  When he threw the deep pass twice in a row both were some of the worst ducks ever.  Said the crowd started quacking and the announcer even yelled "shoot it".   :razorback: :razorback:

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: MO.Hog on June 30, 2016, 11:44:22 am
I had a friend who's son attended the Manning camp last week.  He said behind Deshaun Watson (who was in a league his own).  That Austin looked as good as any, especially with the deep ball.  Also said that Alabama's quarterback will pose absolutely no threat downfield unless he improves drastically.  When he threw the deep pass twice in a row both were some of the worst ducks ever.  Said the crowd started quacking and the announcer even yelled "shoot it".   :razorback: :razorback:

I accept this on principle.