Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Allen

Started by arkhomer, June 17, 2016, 10:00:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

arkhomer

I've heard all of the concerns for the OL RB LBs etc... but what's the overall consensus on how AA is going to fare this upcoming season? I wasn't overly impressed in the spring game. Looked like the pressure bothered him, locked on to receivers, and held the ball too long. Just looking for some much needed optimism.

PonderinHog

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised.  He has some very good targets.  If he can buy some time with his feet, he'll be okay.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: arkhomer on June 17, 2016, 10:00:55 am
I've heard all of the concerns for the OL RB LBs etc... but what's the overall consensus on how AA is going to fare this upcoming season? I wasn't overly impressed in the spring game. Looked like the pressure bothered him, locked on to receivers, and held the ball too long. Just looking for some much needed optimism.
I'm optimistic you don't know anything about football beyond what you hear on TV.

The spring "game" isn't a game.  It's a controlled situation practice.  He wasn't going through progressions.  He was looking for specific options on every play. 

Maybe someday I won't need to explain this point...
All Gas, No Brakes!

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Deep Shoat on June 17, 2016, 10:09:53 am
I'm optimistic you don't know anything about football beyond what you hear on TV.

The spring "game" isn't a game.  It's a controlled situation practice.  He wasn't going through progressions.  He was looking for specific options on every play. 

The only way you won't need to keep explaining this is if you just get tired of doing it and stop, because you are going to hear these same comments after every spring game. 

010HogFan

I didn't see that at all out of the spring game. I was actually pretty impressed. He had some serious zip on his passes to the sidelines (except for one bad pass that he shortarmed). We'll be ok.

Dirttrackhog

no worries... 2 words.  Dan Enos.

Hawgndaaz

On the radio yesterday, Hunter Henry all but said he had a better arm than his brother, and could make some amazing throws.

King Kong

June 17, 2016, 10:34:57 am #7 Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:49:27 am by King Kong
I disagree with almost everything the OP says he observed from the spring game about Austin Allen.

I expect Austin to put up number similar to BA's JR year. I think Austin is more accurate and has better touch on his deeper passing.

BA has more zip on his ball and escapes pressure better IMO.

VirginiaHog

Be will be great if the oline gives him time.

Dr. Starcs

Seemed to me that pocket presence was the biggest thing that improved for BA over his career. Obviously, experience helps with that as well.

But I think if AA can develop that quickly, we will be fine.

a0ashle

Its so hard to get a true evaluation before the season starts. Coaches get into two different modes... right now they are in the "Let's make it hard for him so he gets better" play calling mode and when the season starts they will be in "Lets play to his strengths and set him up for success" play calling mode.

jgphillips3

Everything I have ever heard suggests his arm strength is at least the equal of BA if not indeed stronger.  I think he throws a better deep ball.  BA was more accurate and made better decisions usually but AA may surpass him in time.  I think the one knock on AA previously was he didn't take practice seriously and maybe wasn't as mentally "in the game" as BA but knowing you are the man may change all that.  Besides, he is a junior so 3 years in the program and 2nd year in the Enos system should have him ready.

DiamondHogFan

We will know his skill set after we play La Tech.  We will know if he has some of the intangibles it takes to win bigger games after we go to TCU.  If we come out of those 2 games at 2-0, we will be happy with what AA is doing.  If we lose either of the first 2 games...there will be people calling for Rafe, Ty, or Ricky to be the starter. 

It will take some time for him to fully grasp game speed, but he has been in the system so I expect him to do well.  Only time will tell though.  The spring game is useless, don't bother analyzing talent during the spring game.

JIHawg

Austin, barring injury, will put up some awesome numbers this year.

GuvHog

Quote from: JIHawg on June 17, 2016, 11:09:47 am

He may just very well do that. Austin isn't as green as some are making him out to be. He's had some playing time as BA's backup the last 2 years so he knows the system and is used to the speed of SEC play. We are not talking about a green first year freshman here, the guy is an experienced Junior.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

wholehog92

You can't really predict anything until he performs as the #1 QB with the spot light on him.

He has everything he needs to be successful.

He has talent, he has maturity, he has a returning OC, he has good and plentiful targets, and he will have a solid run game.  The only exception to having what it takes may be the OL.  They are reconfigured and my be still coming together early.  I hope not and don't think it will be, but that may be the case.  It should at least be good enough to call plays around until they do get it figured out.

I am excited to see what he can come up with.  I disagree with your observations on the Spring game FWIW.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

010HogFan

One thing I noticed about Austin in the spring game is that he stepped up into the pocket..quarterbacks that do that consistently are hard to beat.

31to6

I think it will HAVE a lot to do with how well the OL gels in pass protection.

If we can get good protection out of the front 5 and our young backs can help the TE's out in blocking then AA should benefit from a fairly clean pocket most of the time and have an opportunity to learn on the job.

Nothing is worse for a young QB than getting railed a few times in a big game.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PonderinHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 17, 2016, 12:10:49 pm
I not scare
Not until that green jersey comes off, anyway.

arkhomer

Good info. Thanks guys. I hope to someday know as much about football as some of you - sarcasm off deepshoat

HappyFan

One thing I think a lot of people overlook is that BA had one year in Dan Enos system and tutelage AA will have 2.

Woo Pig!

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 17, 2016, 12:43:40 pm
Not until that green jersey comes off, anyway.

Nah.  The kid's a player, and there are more behind him.

Mike_e

It's a team game but having said that where he lands around the 3000 yard mark through the season will tell the tale.

Much under 3000 yards and he will have struggled.  Much over that and the running game will have struggled.

The Oline can be schemed for in passing but not in the run game.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

3Scoreand10

Well but me on record-----
AA will pass for more yards, TDS, Ints, and more wins that BA did in 2015.

King Kong

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on June 17, 2016, 05:16:25 pm
Well but me on record-----
AA will pass for more yards, TDS, Ints, and more wins that BA did in 2015.

You may want to take a second look at BA's stats last year.

3,440 yards 30 TD's. If AA tops those numbers he will have a better first season than Ryan Mallett and Tyler Wilson. In a run based offense

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: JIHawg on June 17, 2016, 11:09:47 am

That's an injury when one goes barring, right?

Our offensive line probably means he takes a lot of hits. That worries me.  I LIKE Rafe Peavey but I don't want him starting at quarterback against Texas A&M this year.

hawgbawb

Sounds like his brother at the start of his Jr. Year
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

HogPharmer

Quote from: King Kong on June 17, 2016, 05:34:20 pm

3,440 yards 30 TD's. If AA tops those numbers he will have a better first season than Ryan Mallett and Tyler Wilson. In a run based offense

NBD
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Justagp

Biggus Piggus

You can't tell what "locked onto receivers" looks like from your vantage point. And in a spring game, you don't even know whether the QB has been asked to throw to a specific receiver.

Austin Allen most likely will deliver something between Brandon Allen's junior and senior performances. He's never been traumatized by premature action like Brandon was. But he also needs more live-fire experience. Austin is not coming in cold, having seen snaps in the past two seasons. He gets to start after having two offseasons and a full season being coached by his present mentor.

We will probably get a bit more gunslinger out of Austin, meaning more shots at big plays and possibly a few more turnovers because of that. But who knows what the coaching will pull out of him.

Arkansas has a far better receiving corps than Brandon had to work with in his first few seasons. How much of a difference will that make? Probably a lot.

The offensive line was makeshift in the spring. They won't go into the season without having a much more workable line.
[CENSORED]!

3Scoreand10

Enos, WRs, rookie RBs ( only one 1000 yard RB), opportunity.
I will stick by what I said.

King Kong

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on June 17, 2016, 05:48:07 pm
Enos, WRs, rookie RBs ( only one 1000 yard RB), opportunity.
I will stick by what I said.

I hope AA is better than TW and RM were there first years as starters.

But I don't see it.

GuvHog

When CBB first got here I agree that the Hogs offense was run based. I don't believe that's the case any more. I believe the offense has become more balanced since then with the passing and running being about even.

3Scoreand10

Quote from: King Kong on June 17, 2016, 06:04:13 pm
I hope AA is better than TW and RM were there first years as starters.

But I don't see it.

It is not about AA being better than TW or RM, It is about better coaches/coaching (Enos), WRs, and opportunity.
I believe he will be "the man" in the SEC because of the above reasons.

FANONTHEHILL

Two weeks before the Spring game there was a 120+ play scrimmage in the stadium.  1's vs 1's for a good portion. Much more of a game sitnuation than the Spring game. Austin looked very good. Austin will be fine.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

King Kong

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2016, 06:08:11 pm
When CBB first got here I agree that the Hogs offense was run based. I don't believe that's the case any more. I believe the offense has become more balanced since then with the passing and running being about even.

It is very balanced. But we are still committed to the Run. If we have to win a game by only throwing for only 100 yards that is what CBB and Enos will do.

CBP would rather lose than do that and we are talking about AA putting up #'s better than Mallett and Wilson in his first season as a starter. I don't think that possible.

I expect AA to be in the 20-25 TD range and around 2,500-3,000 yards. So it's not like I think he is garbage.

jcbville

lumphog

AND.......Threw Darts!!! AA is gonna do what he has ALWAYS done. It's gonna be a GREAT year

JIHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2016, 11:32:48 am
He may just very well do that. Austin isn't as green as some are making him out to be. He's had some playing time as BA's backup the last 2 years so he knows the system and is used to the speed of SEC play. We are not talking about a green first year freshman here, the guy is an experienced Junior.

Plus he's got some targets to get the ball to.

PonderinHog

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on June 17, 2016, 06:22:36 pm
It is not about AA being better than TW or RM, It is about better coaches/coaching (Enos), WRs, and opportunity.
I believe he will be "the man" in the SEC because of the above reasons.
I don't think he has to be "the man" in the SEC for us to be successful, but if he is, I'll be okay with that too!  Could be a very special season.

razorbackkid

He has fire insurance on his vehicle.....no worries.  ;)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

nchogg

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2016, 06:08:11 pm
If you recall about mid season CBB told CDE to open up his offense and call the plays needed to move the ball which meant more passing and misdirection which he did. As far as AA, I'm not worried about him. Look at the SEC teams that have inexperienced QB's that start the season. I do not see AA as a gunslinger, I see a play maker. Time will tell. BA last year lost his best receivers early in the season and Drew Morgan (whom played hurt all season) and others stepped up so BA would have targets. AA starts the season with everyone in place with the difference that we knows the receivers that will step up in crunch time. Coach Anderson will have his line ready. That is something I really like about our Coaches, they work as a unit both offense and defense to improve both sides of the ball. I look forward to the season. It's getting closer by the day. Go Hogs!

GuvHog

June 18, 2016, 08:04:50 am #44 Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:41:26 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: King Kong on June 17, 2016, 07:27:05 pm
It is very balanced. But we are still committed to the Run. If we have to win a game by only throwing for only 100 yards that is what CBB and Enos will do.

CBP would rather lose than do that and we are talking about AA putting up #'s better than Mallett and Wilson in his first season as a starter. I don't think that possible.

I expect AA to be in the 20-25 TD range and around 2,500-3,000 yards. So it's not like I think he is garbage.

CBB was indeed a run oriented coach (as Big 10 coaches generally are) when he arrived, but he learned that the SEC is different and that the traditional ground and pound run first game plan won't work very well here. Now the offense is far more balanced than it was and CBB will let Enos call whatever is necessary to win. Sure the Hogs will attempt to run the ball, that's a no brainer, but if the opponent's defense stacks the front to try and stop the run while going 1 on 1 with our receivers you can bet your bottom dollar that CBB will let Enos turn AA loose and use the passing game.

GuvHog

Quote from: nchogg on June 18, 2016, 07:44:49 am
If you recall about mid season CBB told CDE to open up his offense and call the plays needed to move the ball which meant more passing and misdirection which he did. As far as AA, I'm not worried about him. Look at the SEC teams that have inexperienced QB's that start the season. I do not see AA as a gunslinger, I see a play maker. Time will tell. BA last year lost his best receivers early in the season and Drew Morgan (whom played hurt all season) and others stepped up so BA would have targets. AA starts the season with everyone in place with the difference that we knows the receivers that will step up in crunch time. Coach Anderson will have his line ready. That is something I really like about our Coaches, they work as a unit both offense and defense to improve both sides of the ball. I look forward to the season. It's getting closer by the day. Go Hogs!

I've never said that AA is a gunslinger and I don't believe he is but if CBB and Enos believe they have to rely heavily on passing the ball to win a game, there's no doubt in my mind that they will do it. A good OC always takes what the opponent's defense gives him and Enos is a very good OC.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: GuvHog on June 18, 2016, 08:04:50 am
I disagree with you about CBB, he would NEVER rather lose. He was indeed a run oriented coach (as Big 10 coaches generally are) when he arrived, but he learned that the SEC is different and that the traditional ground and pound run first game plan won't work very well here. Now the offense is far more balanced than it was and CBB will let Enos call whatever is necessary to win. Sure the Hogs will attempt to run the ball, that's a no brainer, but if the opponent's defense stacks the front to try and stop the run while going 1 on 1 with our receivers you can bet your bottom dollar that CBB will let Enos turn AA loose and use the passing game.
You swung and missed again, guv. I won't explain the point he was making, but you missed it. Give his post another read. You can do it!
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

PonderinHog

Quote from: golf2day on June 18, 2016, 08:50:01 am
You swung and missed again, guv. I won't explain the point he was making, but you missed it. Give his post another read. You can do it!
Petrino, potato...

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 17, 2016, 11:12:29 pm
I don't think he has to be "the man" in the SEC for us to be successful, but if he is, I'll be okay with that too!  Could be a very special season.

This.  In Bielema's offense, just as in Saban's, the QB's job is to distribute the ball to the playmakers, minimize mistakes, and hit the occassional longball.  AA is a redshirt junior with the physical and mental skills to do allthose things.  Arkansas has all the pieces at the skill positions to stretch the field and exploit the creases.  With Raulerson, we have the experience, if not the depth, to have the best O-line Bielema has fielded yet.

Neither AA nor the offense concern me at this point. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GuvHog on June 18, 2016, 08:04:50 am
I disagree with you about CBB, he would NEVER rather lose. He was indeed a run oriented coach (as Big 10 coaches generally are) when he arrived, but he learned that the SEC is different and that the traditional ground and pound run first game plan won't work very well here. Now the offense is far more balanced than it was and CBB will let Enos call whatever is necessary to win. Sure the Hogs will attempt to run the ball, that's a no brainer, but if the opponent's defense stacks the front to try and stop the run while going 1 on 1 with our receivers you can bet your bottom dollar that CBB will let Enos turn AA loose and use the passing game.

You need to re-read his post. He said CBP would rather lose than have less than 100 yards passing. Not CBB