Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So, CK really didn't look any better than...

Started by hawgon, October 22, 2017, 12:18:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

AA last night did he?  In fact in certain ways (accuracy and ball security) he looked a good bit worse.

Until we get an offensive line, no QB is going to look good.  Well, if Matt Jones was back there and could gouge teams for a fifty yard gain when they got pressure and the pocket broke down, things might be different.  But Matt Jones ain't walking through that door.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: hawgon on October 22, 2017, 12:18:11 pm
AA last night did he?  In fact in certain ways (accuracy and all security) he looked a good bit worse.
... But Matt Jones ain't walking through that door.

https://247sports.com/Player/Matthew-Jones-75614

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

presidenthog

AA last night did he?  In fact in certain ways (accuracy and all security) he looked a good bit worse.

Until we get an offensive line, no QB is going to look good.  Well, if Matt Jones was back there and could gouge teams for a fifty yard gain when they got pressure and the pocket broke down, things might be different.  But Matt Jones ain't walking through that door.

I thought the RPO's and the free 5 yards we were getting with the qb draws added an element that Austin couldn't provide.

The rest was Austin esque. I can tell he is a freshman, and he missed some wide open guys for 1st downs. Our receivers drop too many balls. In the end kelley is going to be a star for us.

hawgon

Quote from: presidenthog on October 22, 2017, 12:26:03 pm
I thought the RPO's and the free 5 yards we were getting with the qb draws added an element that Austin couldn't provide.

The rest was Austin esque. I can tell he is a freshman, and he missed some wide open guys for 1st downs. Our receivers drop too many balls. In the end kelley is going to be a star for us.

Not with this staff he won't be.

The NewEra

The main difference between Allen and Kelley last night is Allen wouldn't have survived the beating.  No quarterback is going to be effective behind this O-Line.

presidenthog

Quote from: hawgon on October 22, 2017, 12:27:44 pm
Not with this staff he won't be.

Well no sh**. This staff is being fired so it's all good

presidenthog

Quote from: The NewEra on October 22, 2017, 12:28:03 pm
The main difference between Allen and Kelley last night is Allen wouldn't have survived the beating.  No quarterback is going to be effective behind this O-Line.

Also kelley can run our screens about 70x more effectively

hawgon

Quote from: The NewEra on October 22, 2017, 12:28:03 pm

I don't think Kelley will survive it much more either.  In some ways, he might be more vulnerable than Allen.  I think those long legs make a knee injury more likely or maybe 600 pounds of lineman and Kelley falling on a shoulder.

thebignasty

Ball security was more than a bit worse.  I agree though. No qb has a chance behind that line.

Hogvillage Idiot

The backup is always better than the starter according to the fans.  Wasn't too long ago that fans were asking why Brandon wasn't being benched in favor of Austin.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

thebignasty

Quote from: presidenthog on October 22, 2017, 12:30:46 pm
Also kelley can run our screens about 70x more effectively

Like the bounce pass on the bubble screen?

HawgPound

We are comparing a redshirt freshman to a redshirt senior. I'm pretty sure with experience Kelley is going to look much better. If you are saying things are equal now I think there is a higher ceiling for Kelley than Allen. That being said, I expect Allen to start when he is healthy.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

It all starts up front. If the line is bad the offense is bad. What happened to Zach Rogers? He looked good last week and allowed eagnow to move to a position that needed more help. At this point, I find it really hard to understand/defend the moves bielema makes
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawgon

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 22, 2017, 12:38:37 pm
It all starts up front. If the line is bad the offense is bad. What happened to Zach Rogers? He looked good last week and allowed eagnow to move to a position that needed more help. At this point, I find it really hard to understand/defend the moves bielema makes

That one is easy.  Bert won't get to claim that he had the best center in the country if Ragnow doesn't win the award and he can win the award for best center in the country if Ragnow is playing guard.

rude1

Quote from: presidenthog on October 22, 2017, 12:26:03 pm

With the rate he is getting sacked along with the hits he is taking after letting the ball go, compounded by now asking him to get involved in the run game, he is going to join AA on the injury list if something doesn't change.

Redhogs

That's because this is a badly coached, poorly prepared TEAM..not that hard to figure out.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

thebignasty

Quote from: rude1 on October 22, 2017, 12:43:40 pm
With the rate he is getting sacked along with the hits he is taking after letting the ball go, compounded by now asking him to get involved in the run game, he is going to join AA on the injury list if something doesn't change.

Not totally sold even if he stays healthy, though it's true we are likely to get him hurt.

Looks like a big kid playing backyard ball back there.  Huge arm but a lot to work on.

lakecityhog

How many of the "back-up is always better" crowd EVER admit that they were WRONG???

Most of them made it sound like AA was the key to most of our problems, now it is the O'Line. And, by the way, the O'Line is merely a symptom of our problem. Our problem is really simply, we have terrible coaches!!!!!

IronHog

Quote from: thebignasty on October 22, 2017, 12:47:40 pm
Not totally sold even if he stays healthy, though it's true we are likely to get him hurt.

Looks like a big kid playing backyard ball back there.  Huge arm but a lot to work on.

He's very raw but wow what physical talent.

QB is all about footwork......he gets NFL quality fundamentals he can be an elite QB.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on October 22, 2017, 12:52:18 pm

He's very raw but wow what physical talent.

QB is all about footwork......he gets NFL quality fundamentals he can be an elite QB.

All true. Just wonder how many if his habits he can get out of.  Some of this stuff you would hope d1 level caliber players would have after a year and a half on campus.  Our staff sucks but I do still think Enos can coach qbs up.

BannerMountainMan

So good thing Kelley is a freshman and the future of the program and the more work he gets now benefits us more for the future.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

RME

AA last night did he?  In fact in certain ways (accuracy and ball security) he looked a good bit worse.

You mean to tell me a redshirt freshman in his second game didn't look any better than a fifth-year senior who led the SEC in passing last year?

No. Way.

IronHog

Quote from: thebignasty on October 22, 2017, 12:54:07 pm
All true. Just wonder how many if his habits he can get out of.  Some of this stuff you would hope d1 level caliber players would have after a year and a half on campus.  Our staff sucks but I do still think Enos can coach qbs up.

That is what separates the Leafs from the Mannings.....

Kid has a huge ceiling but so did Mallet.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Pigsknuckles

Has to get the ball out quicker, and needs to know that his target isn't the receiver's shoes. Like Mallett, he has a cannon for an arm, but the touch of a steam shovel. He fumbled the first time I ever saw him carry the ball, and he still struggles with ball control. Hard to tell what his ceiling is while he plays behind a shadow of an offensive line.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hogvillage Idiot on October 22, 2017, 12:32:03 pm
The backup is always better than the starter according to the fans.  Wasn't too long ago that fans were asking why Brandon wasn't being benched in favor of Austin.

Exactly.  At the risk of being called a hater, anyone finding something to be encouraged about is looking really, really hard.  Our only offensive touchdowns the last two weeks have been late in the fourth quarter against backups after the opposing coach called off the dogs.  Other than that I haven't seen anything even somewhat encouraging, much less impressive.

Cole looks like a big kid who is used to being able to swat away high school defensive linemen and linebackers who are six inches and 50 pounds smaller than he is.  The ones who weren't were fat guys who couldn't move.

(notOM)Rebel123

Well, considering AA can't play, who do you suggest they start at QB?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

MuskogeeHogFan

1. Not enough time for receivers to get open.
2. Receivers running poor patterns.
3. Receivers dropping balls.
4. Bad pass pro at times.

It's hard to throw the ball effectively when those things are happening but last night would have been worse (as difficult as that is to imagine) had AA been in there. The big bodied Kelley took a lot of punishment but got some passes off that Allen wouldn't have.

Additionally, Kelley had the most rushing attempts on the team last night and would have been the guy with the second most rushing yards gained last night, if they didn't subtract 40 yards in Sacks from his rushing yards.

Kelley lacks experience but he has a lot of upside potential. He just needs more help around him.
Go Hogs Go!

Spektre

I am not going to say much of anything negative about either QB with this Oline "protecting." What the hell can you expect a QB to do with this????

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: presidenthog on October 22, 2017, 12:30:04 pm
Well no sh**. This staff is being fired so it's all good

This entire staff ain't getting FIRED this year. Some may find other jobs, the big man may decide to run off but ain't nobody firing anybody this year.

PRJ

GunnerHawg70

Hahahahaha!!! Bingo!!! I remember when RM had a not so good game ppl were yelling for TW...Same thing TW had bad games, they were yelling for Mitchell and BA...soooo funny 😂

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Spektre on October 22, 2017, 01:11:34 pm
I am not going to say much of anything negative about either QB with this Oline "protecting." What the hell can you expect a QB to do with this????

The OL aren't the only ones, RB's, FB's and TE's are missing their blocks as well. It is a collective failure when the QB gets sacked and to top it off, Kelley hasn't played long enough yet to be able to "feel" the pressure closing in without seeing it.
Go Hogs Go!

Seebs

The redshirt freshman is leading, not bitching - all I can ask for.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

TheEnemy

It's not about being better than AA....its about getting him experience.

It's not about AA vs. CK.....its about what is best for the program and right now it's getting CK experience.

Also AA deserves time be time to heal up from all the beatings he has taken.

Danimal

Quote from: hawgon on October 22, 2017, 12:31:39 pm
I don't think Kelley will survive it much more either.  In some ways, he might be more vulnerable than Allen.  I think those long legs make a knee injury more likely or maybe 600 pounds of lineman and Kelley falling on a shoulder.
Correct. By the end of the LSU game Bielema's O-line will have ruined 2 QB's in just under 1 1/2 seasons (Allens downfall started mid-season last year).

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 22, 2017, 01:14:25 pm
The OL aren't the only ones, RB's, FB's and TE's are missing their blocks as well. It is a collective failure when the QB gets sacked and to top it off, Kelley hasn't played long enough yet to be able to "feel" the pressure closing in without seeing it.

True.  Neither qb identifies pressure well.  AA has too much Tyler Wilson in him and doesn't have any bailout options at WR or TE this season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

thebignasty

Quote from: Spektre on October 22, 2017, 01:11:34 pm

Yep. QB is hard enough without having to play around that atrocity.

presidenthog

hogcard1964

He's not as good as Allen. 

Hawg414

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 22, 2017, 01:06:29 pm
Cole looks like a big kid who is used to being able to swat away high school defensive linemen and linebackers who are six inches and 50 pounds smaller than he is.  The ones who weren't were fat guys who couldn't move.

pretty good description.  same reason Darnell Robinson came to us in 1993 as the all time leading scorer in California high school history.

Cole is definitely our QB next year.  and if you want to make an argument that this season is trash, therefore go ahead and get him some experience before next year, i wont argue that.  id probably do it myself if i was coach.  but to suggest CK is better than AA currently is quite a stretch.  he is going to have to get better - much better - at developing a bit of touch on his fastballs, as well as accuracy.  most of his passes are bullets to the feet.  i get that when the pocket breaks down, he can usually drag a crowd for 2 or 3 yards back to the line of scrimmage.  but thats not really what you build an offense around.  i think he shows potential, but every team has a guy who shows potential.  to surpass the level AA was at, he is going to have to improve significantly.  lets not forget, after AAs first 5 or 6 games, most of us were calling him possibly the best QB in the SEC.  HE didnt get worse... his surroundings did.

la20688

I didn't read the entire thread, but anyone who thinks AA is our problem is freaking crazy.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 22, 2017, 01:21:55 pm
True.  Neither qb identifies pressure well.  AA has too much Tyler Wilson in him and doesn't have any bailout options at WR or TE this season. 

I've never understood that. IF the QB identifies potential pressure as in a LB or Corner blitz, he "should" have an option to change the call and have a RB or TE break the charge of Blitzer, then slip off into the spot that the Blitzer came from, so the QB can dump it off to them. I haven't seen any of this from our offense. Screens yes, but hot routes by WR's, RB's or TE's? No. There's nothing more frustrating than to blitz the QB and then see them dump it off in the same area that you just left for a 5 to 10 yard or more, completion.
Go Hogs Go!

31to6

Quote from: Danimal on October 22, 2017, 01:20:41 pm
Correct. By the end of the LSU game Bielema's O-line will have ruined 2 QB's in just under 1 1/2 seasons (Allens downfall started mid-season last year).
Bobby Allen should file for a restraining order against CKA... Need to keep him 500' away from our QBs.

Kevin

Nothing or nobody can be effective behind this line
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Seebs on October 22, 2017, 01:15:17 pm
The redshirt freshman is leading, not bitching - all I can ask for.

You obviously didn't pay attention to CK coming off the field in the second half last night. His demeanor was very similar to AA. Even the announcers were discussing his apparent frustrations. No one should blame either AA or CK after the beatings they take.

jcul28

Quote from: Hoginsavga on October 22, 2017, 05:03:03 pm
You obviously didn't pay attention to CK coming off the field in the second half last night. His demeanor was very similar to AA. Even the announcers were discussing his apparent frustrations. No one should blame either AA or CK after the beatings they take.

He was more frustrated with himself. Other than the receiver running the wrong route, he blamed himself for most everything. Then, he was saying something because Enos was in his ear, as he should be. The kid knows he made mistakes but I'll take CK everyday though.

lakecityhog

CK has had 2 games of this treatment, wait until he has had 7, 8, 9 or 12 and see what his attitude might be!

If AA gets healthy by game 9 then BB has a decision to make, try to win a couple of games and maybe save his job or give CK more training time for next year.

If BB isn't back next year these few games may well be CK's whole career at Arkansas. Bring in a spread guy and
Storey might be the better fit.

PorkChopExpress

Quote from: Danimal on October 22, 2017, 01:20:41 pm
This.  AA looks shellshocked from all the hits. 

Steef

I like it that Cole is getting real time game experience.

That's good for next year and the next.

factchecker

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 22, 2017, 06:06:48 pm
If BB isn't back next year these few games may well be CK's whole career at Arkansas. Bring in a spread guy and
Storey might be the better fit.

No.

Kelley ran the spread in high school.  He is better suited for working out of the gun.

From every warmup, open practice (few and far between), and drill I've seen Kelley's arm is MUCH better than Ty's.

You can't write anyone off yet but walk-on Lindsey has a better ball than Ty.

Daulton Hyatt will most likely be #2 next season anyways.  If a new coach comes and wants a mobile QB then Hyatt is the guy.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS