Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why did you become a Hogs fan?

Started by 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER, March 29, 2017, 03:23:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

You all already know my story...I became a Hogs fan due to Nolan Richardson and his 40 Minutes of Hell, non-stop Press and Trap until the opponent's will breaks, uber-aggressive philosophy.   I have been a die-hard Chicago Bears fan my entire life, and Nolan's 40 Minutes of Hell philosophy REALLY REMINDED me a lot of Buddy Ryan's 46 Defense and the '85 Bears.

So then, why DID ALL OF YOU become Hogs fans?  Is it as simple and prosaic as - you are alums?   Or is it because you were born and bred in the state of Arkansas?   Or did you become Hogs fans for some other reason?  So,  come on guys, tell me:  why and when did you first become a die-hard Arkansas basketball fan?   :razorback:

Allhawgdawg

Quote from: 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER on March 29, 2017, 03:23:47 pm
You all already know my story...I became a Hogs fan due to Nolan Richardson and his 40 Minutes of Hell, non-stop Press and Trap until the opponent's will breaks, uber-aggressive philosophy.   I have been a die-hard Chicago Bears fan my entire life, and Nolan's 40 Minutes of Hell philosophy REALLY REMINDED me a lot of Buddy Ryan's 46 Defense and the '85 Bears.

So then, why DID ALL OF YOU become Hogs fans?  Is it as simple and prosaic as - you are alums?   Or is it because you were born and bred in the state of Arkansas?   Or did you become Hogs fans for some other reason?  So,  come on guys, tell me:  why and when did you first become a die-hard Arkansas basketball fan?   :razorback:

Born and bred in all hog red.. Literally tho, my parents had me in a razorback onesie as soon as I left the hospital. My grandfather played football for the Hogs back in the good ole days and was a starter for the 64 National Champs. And the poor Bama fans can try all they want to claim it but that was all ours. So I grew up making the trips to Fayetteville for nearly every football game and as many basketball games as possible from the time I was born until this day. And then I had the privilege of attending this great academic institution. Honored hog fan hear till the death of me and can only hope I get to see us win another Natty in basketball or football. Both would be a dream. And baseball would be great also.  Hell let's make it all 3. Go HOGS!

JIMMY BOARFFETT

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

hawginbigd1

I was born a Hog fan in West Covina, CA. parents raised me right! My favorite Teams: #1 always Hogs, Dodgers (they tried to get me on that Cardinals band wagon just couldn't do it), Lakers, and .........Cowboys!

cosmodrum

Dragged to Arkansas in 1985 against my will (6 years old). They're they only show in town (or state, I guess).
Go away, batin'

RaisinHog

I was born a razorbacks and St Louis Cardinals fan the maddest my momma will ever get is if you talk bad about her hogs or red birds.. she literally burned pujoles jerseys and posters when he headed west

snoot hoggy hog

U.S. Reed's father was the doctor that brought me into this world. Stayed next door to Darrell Walker when I was 5 years old. Next time I saw him was when we moved back to Arkansas and I saw him in a Hog uniform. My grandfather, dad, and uncles would stop in the middle work just to go and watch the Hogs. It's a religion in the state of Arkansas.

phadedhawg

Born to it.  My father is a lifelong fan.  Honestly there wasn't much outside of deer hunting that me and my dad had in common.  We are very different.  That's why the Razorbacks are so special to us.  We can talk til the cow comes home if we stick to the Hogs. 

There wasn't much pressure on me to be a hog fan in my house.  It just sort of happened.  The first game I truly remember is probably Arkansas vs Arkansas State.  I knew our coach was embattled and it was going to end badly if we lost.  Not from my father but from others I heard a lot of negativity about Arkansas hiring a black coach.  I wanted so badly for Nolan to succeed just to prove those haters wrong...and he did.

PonderinHog

TheRazorback500

Born and bred all-lower Arkansas HAWG. Started getting into Razorback roundball listening to Terry and Tolson as a wee lad. Been Hog wild ever since. Woo pig!

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Sow Lancelot

Two different questions:
Or is it because you were born and bred in the state of Arkansas?
'Zactly
Quotewhy and when did you first become a die-hard Arkansas basketball fan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtJv6Va6ShU

I wanted to feel that feeling over and over and over.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

East Clintwood

Was raised a Razorback football fan.  It took me a few more years (Lanny Van Eman era) before I discovered the Razorbacks even had a basketball team.  Been a fan ever since.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Youngsta71701

I was born a Hog fan. It's in my blood. It's so bad I can't even make myself root for another program if I tried. :razorback:
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

RacinRazorback

Proud to say I was born in the south and a Razorback by the grace of god!

ChitownHawg

Born in Arkansas. Went to school on the Hill.

As kids playing football in the backyard, we would select our teams. Then we would select the name of the teams. Razorbacks was ALWAYS the first choice and the Cowboys (Dallas not Stillwater) was second.  ;D

My first Hogbawl experience was watching Martin Terry light up the scoreboard. One of our most prolific scorers.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 29, 2017, 04:18:53 pm
Dragged to Arkansas in 1985 against my will (6 years old). They're they only show in town (or state, I guess).

I was dragged to Arkansas in 1983 against my will, 13, from Florida of all places.  Big culture shock.  I was a marginal Razorback fan in my formative years, but my main goal was to get back to Florida.  I went back to Florida for my first semester in college and hated it.  Didn't realize how much I loved Arkansas and missed my friends, all living it up in Fayetteville.  Transferred to U of A for second semester of my freshman year.  Also happened to be Todd Day, Big O, Lee Mayberry's freshman year.  From that point forward I was a dyed in the wool fan. 

It's the attachment to the University and the Razorbacks.  I love the U of A as my alma mater.  It is a great school and afforded me many opportunities not once, but twice, having recruited me 10 years after graduation to come back and get my MBA.  I still get goose bumps any time I'm on campus.  Have had one daughter graduate from there and another starting in the fall.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

NWAHog479

Born & raised... Became a Hog basketball fan before I became a Hog football fan

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Youngsta71701

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 29, 2017, 04:18:53 pm
Did you have a will when you were 6 years old ???.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Slater

1985-86 season until March 2002
Came back in March 2011
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

yraciv

Born and bred. Third generation alum, and my grandparents had season tickets well before I could walk. I was one of those 3 year olds cheering at Barnhill in the early 90s, and have been at it ever since.

Hogeye_Pierce

Granddad and Mom were alums. Moved to AR from Mempho back in 1970. My dad graduated the University of Tennessee  med school in Memphis. We played them in the Liberty Bowl in 1971. The blatant cheating in favor of UT that night on behalf of one crooked official made me a life-long Hog fan ever since.
That was also the first (unfortunately not the last) time that I got kicked out of the living room for getting too upset over the outcome of a Hog game.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

HawgHeadCheese

I became a hog fan because of my dad. My dad was a huge hog fan which is crazy because he grew up in Starksville and didn't move to Pine Bluff AR until he was 23 when he married my mom. Since I could remember we would watch evwry televised basketball and football game and when they weren't on tv we would listen to the radio. It was kinda like our way of bonding. Anyways my dad died a couple of yrs ago I hate that he didnt get a chance to see this years team he would've loved em. To make a long story short I guess you can say I've been a hog since I was born.

NoogaHog

Born that way. My dad was a die hard fan. When I was little the best times were had when my uncle would come over to watch the game with my dad. My uncle would jump and scream and we thought he would break something or somebody. My dad was usually fairly quiet and reserved, but he was excited for the hogs. 
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

NoogaHog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 30, 2017, 01:05:42 pm
I became a hog fan because of my dad. My dad was a huge hog fan which is crazy because he grew up in Starksville and didn't move to Pine Bluff AR until he was 23 when he married my mom. Since I could remember we would watch evwry televised basketball and football game and when they weren't on tv we would listen to the radio. It was kinda like our way of bonding. Anyways my dad died a couple of yrs ago I hate that he didnt get a chance to see this years team he would've loved em. To make a long story short I guess you can say I've been a hog since I was born.

I had a very similar experience. It is one of the few things that we bonded over. I also lost my dad about 2 years ago. I miss discussing last night's game or hope for a bowl or which 7th grade wonderkid from Dollarway or SE Arkansas should sign for the hogs.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Ironhawg

I was born into a Razorback family.  For example, one year my great-grandmother, who was in her 80s was given a Hog hat for Christmas.  She wore that thing most of the day.  My granddad took me to my first Razorback game at WMS when I was very, very young.  I was hooked from that point on.  I've been a Hog fan through thick and thin, even though lately it seems like mostly thin.

Biggus Piggus

Born in Bentonville, lived on campus several years of my young life as Dad went to college. Began watching Razorback football in 1966, sitting on a picnic blanket on the hill above Razorback Stadium. Began watching Razorback basketball back when half of Barnhill Arena was a practice area for the football team.
[CENSORED]!

hawg1221

I am from Newport and we had only one channel growing up (KAIT-channel 8 from Jonesboro). It was a terrible channel. So I would go to my room and start listening to the games on the radio. I got into it. I started to feel like the Razorbacks were my extended family. It is amazing, since no one in my family cares about sports. I am such a huge Hog fan now that I get so nervous in big games and can't really sit. I pace the floor a lot.

daprospecta

Born in Arkansas in 85 and my older brother had me watching the games with him as early as 1990. I remember watching Todd Day, Oliver Miller, Lee Mayberry, Corliss, etc.  A razorback fan was born. One of the biggest moments of my life, outside of my daughter being born, was walking into the locker room and having my name on a locker and walking to the practice field for the first time at Arkansas.  Needless to say, I don't take to kindly to anyone speaking ill will about my hogs. 

Gerald Gilber

I am old so my liking of the Razorbacks began with Lance Alworth, he played for the San Diego Chargers and was my favorite player growing up in Sacramento, Cali, then I was at a Giants game with my dad one day and he introduced me to Red Hickey, who was the 49er coach at the time and he asked me if I was going to be a Razorback. I have followed them ever since. I cannot count how many games I have attended since we moved to Arkansas in 1967.If I am not there I am watching on tv or listening on the radio with such great voices as Bud Campbell, Dave Woodman, Sam Smith, Paul Eels and now my hometown guy, Chuck Barrett, Woo Pig :razorback:
Can we play all our games at home????

phadedhawg

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 30, 2017, 01:05:42 pm

I miss listening to games on the radio and I miss Paul Eells.  There was just something special about it. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 30, 2017, 05:00:45 pm
I miss listening to games on the radio and I miss Paul Eells.  There was just something special about it.

In Memory of:

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Inhogswetrust

As others have said, born into it. I was also named after two Cardinal baseball players. I won the daily double!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

cosmodrum

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2017, 06:08:06 pm
As others have said, born into it. I was also named after two Cardinal baseball players. I won the daily double!

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Ozzie Musial!
Go away, batin'

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 30, 2017, 06:21:25 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Ozzie Musial!

Nope the McDaniel brothers...............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogfreak

PorkSoda

Born that way.  Even though neither of my parents were born in arkansas or were even sports fans, and we moved to texas when I was 6.  Somehow it seeped into my subconscious. I carried a razorback backpack to school in texas.  I've never even considered rooting for another team. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

BrooklynRoss

I got into it when I was like 8 or 9-years-old. It was during the Sutton/Klein/Walker/Robinson years. Those games against Houston (Hakeem) and SMU (Konkac) were insane. I used to listen to them on the radio while reenacting every play on the Nerf goal hanging on my bedroom door. When we beat Michael Jordan at the convention center in Pine Bluff (I grew up in Pine Bluff) that made my Razorback fandom a done deal. I also was at the UofA from 1992-1995, arguably the best run we've ever had.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: NoogaHog on March 30, 2017, 01:16:05 pm
I had a very similar experience. It is one of the few things that we bonded over. I also lost my dad about 2 years ago. I miss discussing last night's game or hope for a bowl or which 7th grade wonderkid from Dollarway or SE Arkansas should sign for the hogs.
I know exactly what you mean man. Razorbacks sports has been a big part of my life.

TNhogfan

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on March 29, 2017, 06:59:55 pm
Born and bred all-lower Arkansas HAWG. Started getting into Razorback roundball listening to Terry and Tolson as a wee lad. Been Hog wild ever since. Woo pig!

:razorback:
My two favorite basketball Hogs.  Got to see them play twice at Barton. The beginning of my following the basketball team.

TomasPistola

Born a Hogs fan. I could have been born a Bama fan but that would have required losing my teeth, my virginity to my sister, and my dignity. Go Hogs!
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Cinco de Hogo

popcornhog

My dad went to the UA; we moved to Arkansas when I was six years old and I grew up going to games; and then I went to undergrad at the UA. I can't remember not being a Razorback fan.
WPS

ChicoHog

I was born in IN but lived in PA from age 8-18 and my sister, 14 years older than me, got a job teaching a the U of A in the early 70's.  My mom and dad and I would visit her every summer and she always gave me Hog t-shirts, sweat shirts, etc., so I grew to root for the Hogs along with Notre Dame, my dad's favorite team.  I remember being so heart broken in 1978 when both the Irish and the hogs made the Final Four but both lost in the semi-finals.  That started my hatred towards Duke and Kentucky!  And both ND and Arkansas also had good football teams back then.  I decided I wanted to attend college at Arkansas  (tried but didn't get accepted to Notre Dame) and was there from fall of 79 to spring of 83.  Watched good football and basketball.  Was devastated when Sutton left for UK but understood that was a premier job.  By this time I had moved to CA and didn't really follow basketball nearly as much until they made Final Four again in 1990.  No internet back then and all games weren't televised so it was much harder to follow teams from afar. 
My sister retired from teaching at the University a couple years ago and still lives in Springdale.  For the last 27 years myself and some college buddies have all gone back for a football game every year and stay at her house. 

JONAS

I was born in Tennessee but grew up in Mississippi.  My parents divorced when I was 9.  My mom remarried a guy from Arkansas when I was 10.  He got me to watching Razorback football games with him.  I soon became a Hog fan.  Started following football in 1986.  Then I started following basketball and baseball in 1988.  I am one of few Hog fans to have never lived in the state of Arkansas.

WorfHog

Alumnus, my first year as a fan was 2005 and it was rough.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogwop

I was also born into it.  Late 80s/early 90s Razorback Basketball was rockin' and I remember watching the games with my dad while my mom was bowling in her league. All of my family is huge in the hogs and it definitely rubbed off on me.  Dad took me to my first game in Barnhill when I was 6 or 7 and after that I was hooked.  Went to a ton of lady back and razorback games after that.
We always had watch parties for the football games but I was too young for football to capture my attention. My first football game was in fayetteville, against South Carolina when Madre Hill rushed for 6 tds. That was the first year we won the west and I was 14, great introduction to hog football.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

BigE_23

By birth...

Someone once asked me, "If you weren't a Razorback fan, what would you be?" I answered, "I'd be ashamed."

alohawg

A hog fan from birth, left the state in '73 returned in '76 at age 13, perfect timing. It was the triplets that drew my interest in hog basketball. I wouldn't trade it for any era of greatness. Moncrief, Brewer and Delph were my hero's.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc