Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

South Carolina reminds me of Ark under Sutton

Started by Hogsolo, March 26, 2017, 03:38:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogsolo

Play tough D, control tempo, get the best close shot you can.  Shoot your free throws to win the game.

RaisinHog

Well we can say we beat a final 4 team at there place ..

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 26, 2017, 03:40:09 pm
Martin has always been a good coach. Wonder how they'll be next year after losing a few seniors.
Probably have the same season A&M had this year.

jcbville

Breems

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 26, 2017, 03:40:09 pm
Martin has always been a good coach. Wonder how they'll be next year after losing a few seniors.

Doesn't look like they'll be very good next year. Losing a lot and not bringing in much.

The pain should be short-lived, though. This should provide a massive boost in recruiting.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Does remind me of a Sutton team also.  You forgot to mention play percentage and mistake free BB.  Considering todays game is played more on the edge than in Sutton's days at Arkansas, SC played good sound BB for the most part. 

Hawg Red

Guess all those Frank Martin haters 'round here have to pipe down for a while. They lose some veteran leadership, and of course the SEC POY, but they should be alright if Silva and Dozier come back to go with some of those good younger players they have.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on March 26, 2017, 03:52:12 pm
Probably have the same season A&M had this year.

I would imagine they will be better than that.  Martin is a solid recruiter and making the Final Four will help there.  Plus their success is built on defense and that can be sustained easier than an offense driven team.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 26, 2017, 04:01:59 pm
Guess all those Frank Martin haters 'round here have to pipe down for a while. They lose some veteran leadership, and of course the SEC POY, but they should be alright if Silva and Dozier come back to go with some of those good younger players they have.

They were a .500 team without Thornwell just this season. What younger players have you seen? I haven't seen any of note.

I think Martin was the real SEC coach of the year. They were the team that out performed their preseason expectations by the widest margin and it wasn't even close.

Wayne Watson

Interesting....

Frank Martin didn't make the NCAA in his first four years at South Carolina. In his fifth year, the Gamecocks are headed to the Final Four.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 26, 2017, 04:10:24 pm
They were a .500 team without Thornwell just this season. What younger players have you seen? I haven't seen any of note.

I think Martin was the real SEC coach of the year. They were the team that out performed their preseason expectations by the widest margin and it wasn't even close.

The freshman big man from Estonia seems like he will be solid for them. Keita (can't remember his first name but we recruited him somewhat) is another young big man that impressed me with his hustle when he got in there. He was solidly-rated out of high school. Believe Felder is also a freshman. If they get Chris Silva and P.J. Dozier back, they won't be half bad. Should at least make the NIT.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Wayne Watson on March 26, 2017, 04:13:20 pm
Interesting....

Frank Martin didn't make the NCAA in his first four years at South Carolina. In his fifth year, the Gamecocks are headed to the Final Four.

Coaches that take over programs with next to no tradition or past success tend to get more patience so long as they are building toward something. SC probably should have been in the field last season but I get how poor their non-con schedule was.

Letsroll1200

I don't see any big time young players on their roster. I really like Didier if he returns but this is the ultimate team. They play together and unselfish basketball. Anything can happen once you get in the tournament.

RaisinHog

I wonder if they will be able to land that dude that is supposed to be like the next labron from.SC.. forgot his name

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 26, 2017, 05:03:21 pm
I don't see any big time young players on their roster. I really like Didier if he returns but this is the ultimate team. They play together and unselfish basketball. Anything can happen once you get in the tournament.

Who said anything about "big time" young players? We sit around and talk about how great Adrio Bailey is or how good Brachen Hazen could be. It's no different. They have some freshmen that will more than likely end up being pretty good SEC players. These players will get more run next season with the seniors gone.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 26, 2017, 05:23:49 pm
Who said anything about "big time" young players? We sit around and talk about how great Adrio Bailey is or how good Brachen Hazen could be. It's no different. They have some freshmen that will more than likely end up being pretty good SEC players. These players will get more run next season with the seniors gone.

None of their guys jumped out to me. Arkansas will not be asking a lot from Bailey or Hazen.

Birminghog

Red, this Martin disliker has never said that he isn't a good coach, simply that I don't like the way he handles his team. I will be rooting for SC, but I still don't like Martin. The talking heads lead me to believe that he is very personable when he is not in coach mode, which is a good thing.

BrooklynRoss

There are Frank Martin "haters?" That guy has been a stellar coach since Miami Senior.

In general, hat's off to Martin and USC South. They played fantastic and deserve their success.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 26, 2017, 05:46:52 pm
None of their guys jumped out to me. Arkansas will not be asking a lot from Bailey or Hazen.

When we talk about Arkansas' bright future, Adrio Bailey's name is mentioned. Do not attempt to dispute that. Sedee Keita was a 4-star, top 100 recruit. Felder and Kotsar both averaged 5 points per game as freshmen. None were relied on too heavily. If those players were Hogs, we'd be talking about how good they'll be once they get a chance, just like we do with Bailey or CJ Jones or even Hazen. We can't have to both ways. SC takes a step back next season but they will be far from lacking talent. They have a 4-star combo guard coming in to replace Thornwell also.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Breems on March 26, 2017, 04:01:20 pm
Doesn't look like they'll be very good next year. Losing a lot and not bringing in much.

The pain should be short-lived, though. This should provide a massive boost in recruiting.

The way Martin stresses defense and fundamentals I'm sure they'll be fine. Maybe not F4 material but still a good team.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Boar War

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 26, 2017, 06:47:38 pm
The way Martin stresses defense and fundamentals I'm sure they'll be fine. Maybe not F4 material but still a good team.

Assuming Martin's still there.

hogwood

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 26, 2017, 06:45:41 pm
When we talk about Arkansas' bright future, Adrio Bailey's name is mentioned. Do not attempt to dispute that. Sedee Keita was a 4-star, top 100 recruit. Felder and Kotsar both averaged 5 points per game as freshmen. None were relied on too heavily. If those players were Hogs, we'd be talking about how good they'll be once they get a chance, just like we do with Bailey or CJ Jones or even Hazen. We can't have to both ways. SC takes a step back next season but they will be far from lacking talent. They have a 4-star combo guard coming in to replace Thornwell also.

And I think Felder is averaging 10.5 pgg in the tourney. Great looking PG. Not sure how his performance hasn't stuck out to them... Did ya'll watch? Rakym Felder looks like a future SEC stalwart. I also didn't realize Kotsar was only a freshman until you posted this Hawg Red. He had some head scratching plays today but still very impressive for just a freshman. I also remember Keita. His highlights were unreal. I wanted us to get in with him badly. I think they have a chance to be top 5 in the SEC next year, ESPECIALLY if Dozier returns.