Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What if...???

Started by BigE_23, March 23, 2017, 09:56:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigE_23

This could be a fun conversation until we get deep into spring practice reports.

Razorback sports seems to be plagued with tons "What if?" moments. I know that one can't dwell in the past, but we've come so close so many times. I'm a relatively young fan (35 years old), but in my lifetime I can think of several things that have happened that make me wonder what "might have been" had the outcome been different. A few examples:

- What if Reggie Fish hadn't muffed that punt?
  - What if Bobby Petrino hadn't wrecked his dang motorcycle? Or Jeffie Short had suspended him instead of firing him?
  - What if we'd hired Bill Self to coach after Nolan was fired?
  - What if we'd hired Tommy Tuberville over Houston Nutt?

Back a little further in time...

- What if that clipping penalty was called on Texas' first TD and we held on to win the Great Shootout in 1969?
  - What if we'd hired Jimmy Johnson as Frank's replacement?
  - What if we didn't leave the SWC?

These are just a few examples, but what is your most painful "What if?" moment in Razorback Sports history?

sasnakrafan

What if tyus edney never beat mizzou to go to the final four. We would have been back to back title winners in ncaa basketball cementing ourselves as a blue blood. What I stoerner never fumbled, we would have won the national title thus cementing our legacy in football and being consistently relevant.

Or what if Bear Bryant was our coach, Bill Self or what if Perry Costello never umpires our South Carolina game in the College World Series.

Our luck hopefully will change soon...

greenEGnHAWGS

What if there was no Stoernover...?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

greenEGnHAWGS

Dangit...best me to it sas...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

BigE_23

Quote from: sasnakrafan on March 23, 2017, 10:43:33 pm
What if tyus edney never beat mizzou to go to the final four. We would have been back to back title winners in ncaa basketball cementing ourselves as a blue blood. What I stoerner never fumbled, we would have won the national title thus cementing our legacy in football and being consistently relevant.

Or what if Bear Bryant was our coach, Bill Self or what if Perry Costello never umpires our South Carolina game in the College World Series.

Our luck hopefully will change soon...

Those are good ones...the finger of God play was painful.

The UCLA/Mizzou also a good "what if?"

ADavisTheGOAT

What if a charge or travel was called on Joel Berry and Moses made his 2 free throws?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

BigE_23

Quote from: Hogfan991 on March 23, 2017, 10:55:29 pm
What if a charge or travel was called on Joel Berry and Moses made his 2 free throws?

This was actually the thing that really sparked this whole line of thought for me over the weekend.

What if we get past UNC and play Butler in Memphis?

RME

What if we had never lost a football game...ever

ICEman

•What if Steve Atwater intercepts that pass in the end zone in Miami?
•What if that SMU wide-out was called for a pass interference for running up the back of our defensive back?
•What if Tanner English wasn't so d@mn fast?
•What if Jarrion Lawson doesn't drag his hand in the sand?
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

goodguytex

What if Dennis Johnson doesn't get hit in the kidneys and is healthy for the 2010 bama game, pounds the bama defense and the Hogs win that game?

What if Ryan Mallett doesnt get hurt during that 10 season and Arkansas goes on to beat Auburn? What if Scam gets immediately suspended by auburn, with the NCAA investigating, before Arkansas even plays them?

What if Ohio State actually did the right thing and suspended the players that cheated before Arkansas played them in the sugar bowl?

hawgwild child

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 11:16:01 pm
What if Dennis Johnson doesn't get hit in the kidneys and is healthy for the 2010 bama game, pounds the bama defense and the Hogs win that game?

What if Ryan Mallett doesnt get hurt during that 10 season and Arkansas goes on to beat Auburn? What if Scam gets immediately suspended by auburn, with the NCAA investigating, before Arkansas even plays them?

What if Ohio State actually did the right thing and suspended the players that cheated before Arkansas played them in the sugar bowl?

What if we scoop and score! !!!!!!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: BigE_23 on March 23, 2017, 09:56:48 pm
This could be a fun conversation until we get deep into spring practice reports.

Razorback sports seems to be plagued with tons "What if?" moments. I know that one can't dwell in the past, but we've come so close so many times. I'm a relatively young fan (35 years old), but in my lifetime I can think of several things that have happened that make me wonder what "might have been" had the outcome been different. A few examples:

- What if Bobby Petrino hadn't wrecked his dang motorcycle? Or Jeffie Short had suspended him instead of firing him?

- What if that clipping penalty was called on Texas' first TD and we held on to win the Great Shootout in 1969?

These are just a few examples, but what is your most painful "What if?" moment in Razorback Sports history?

Lulz
This is my non-signature signature.

The_Iceman

Biggest what if for me is what if we would have repeated in 1995. Back to Back National Champions would have been huge for our program.

Then, what if the 1996 recruiting class would have all made it to campus and been eligible. How differently would our program have been, and how much longer would Nolan have lasted.

For football, it is the big trifecta for me:
1) stoerner doesn't fumble
2) fish let's the ball go
3) we scoop and score

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: sasnakrafan on March 23, 2017, 10:43:33 pm
What if tyus edney never beat mizzou to go to the final four. We would have been back to back title winners in ncaa basketball cementing ourselves as a blue blood.

What if Syracuse hadn't called a timeout they didn't have?  One of the few breaks we've ever had.

On the other side of the court, Moten called a time out Syracuse did not have-meaning the Orangemen were charged with a technical foul. "I guess I thought we had one," he would say later.

Jackrabbit Hog

What if War Memorial Stadium had been expanded to 70,000 seats back in the late '90s as one proposal showed?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogcard1964

What if Joe hung onto the first pass of the Sugar Bowl?

NotSoFastMyFriend

What if fans who claim to support the team actually supported the coach?

shshark00

Why just focus on the what ifs that went badly and appreciate the what ifs that worked in our favor?
What if Thurman misses the three?
What if Decori drops the TD pass?
What if we take a knee before halftime against LSU?
What if Adams kept his verbal to USC?

phadedhawg

these exercises are just too painful...

NoogaHog

What if Drew Morgan doesn't get fumblitis in the 2nd half? Or Sprink just takes what was offered?
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: shshark00 on March 24, 2017, 12:59:05 pm
Why just focus on the what ifs that went badly and appreciate the what ifs that worked in our favor?
What if Thurman misses the three?
What if Decori drops the TD pass?
What if we take a knee before halftime against LSU?
What if Adams kept his verbal to USC?

What if Holtz doesn't suspend Cowens, Forrest and Bobo prior to the Orange Bowl?
What if Teddy Barnes doesn't manage to hang onto the back end of the football on that TD pass from Scott Bull?
What if the refs call Stoerner down in the end zone in the 2000 Cotton Bowl, the play before he hits Lucas on a bomb?
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BigE_23

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 24, 2017, 12:53:24 pm

What if those two weren't mutually exclusive??

Oh wait...

NoogaHog

It's funny, that so many games hinge on 1 play for a score or a change in momentum. There are a million of them.

Drew Morgan's catch against Auburn 2 years ago.

Is last year's Auburn game the same if their first play doesn't go big?

What if it wasn't so cold in the LSU game in 2014? Do they fold so easily?

Blocked kick against Miss St. in 2015.

Blocked kick against TCU last year.

Andre Patillo doesn't start counting so early on the inbounds pass against UGa.

We don't fumble going into the end zone against Alabama in 2014.

Or against Miss St.

4th and 25.

So Many.

NotSoFastMyFriend

What if Petrino comes back in 2012 and goes 4-8/5-7/6-6 with the school's all-time leading passer?

Jackrabbit Hog

What if Hugo Bezdek hadn't come back from that road trip and told the media his team played like "a bunch of wild Razorback hogs"??  What if he's said we played like wild aardvarks or a deranged platypus?

NoogaHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 24, 2017, 01:57:52 pm
What if Hugo Bezdek hadn't come back from that road trip and told the media his team played like "a bunch of wild Razorback hogs"??  What if he's said we played like wild aardvarks or a deranged platypus?

WHOOOO PLATYPI !!!!

Jackrabbit Hog

code red

If Reggie Fish wouldn't have muffed...then Casey Dick would have thrown a pick six on 1st down from the 20.  It is the life of a Razorback Fan and it will always be.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

NoogaHog

Let Bazzell get a hold of this baby!

HossHog

Quote from: Hogfan991 on March 23, 2017, 10:55:29 pm
I hate to be that guy... but I think best case scenario there is that we lose in the elite 8. Which is still pretty dang good though.

bennyl08

Quote from: NoogaHog on March 24, 2017, 01:59:46 pm

WHOOOO PLATYPI !!!!

That's what you call somebody in Oregon who can't choose a side in the civil war.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hogcard1964

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 24, 2017, 12:53:24 pm

What if fans of the coach actually supported the program?    ;)

hogcard1964

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 24, 2017, 01:37:13 pm
What if Petrino comes back in 2012 and goes 4-8/5-7/6-6 with the school's all-time leading passer?

It wouldn't have mattered.  He would have left by now anyway.

However, I think he would have a won a minimum of 8 or 9 that season.

lilRockNDubb

...Kody Walker doesn't fumble into the end zone.

...Qualls and Portis say another year.

...Dana Altman would've stayed with the hogs.

...we beat LSU in 2011.

...Van Horn didn't leave Nebraska.

RazorWhacker

...a certain poster just "saw" Stephen Hill?

Hogwaller

. . . a frog had wings when he tried to fly.

hobhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 24, 2017, 01:57:52 pm

Go Varks!

bennyl08

damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

fritos were never topped with chili and cheese?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 24, 2017, 04:19:00 pm
fritos were never topped with chili and cheese?

This is supposed to be a family friendly board. How dare you speak of such an unthinkable thing.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 24, 2017, 02:35:47 pm
It wouldn't have mattered.  He would have left by now anyway.

However, I think he would have a won a minimum of 8 or 9 that season.
lol @ 8 or 9

boaredstiff

What if the glowing preseason "homer" media reports, evaluations, projections and predictions actually proved to be factually and realistically correct?

LZH

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 24, 2017, 11:07:25 am
What if War Memorial Stadium had been expanded to 70,000 seats back in the late '90s as one proposal showed?

Yepper...what if Warren Stephens and JFB hadn't got into a pissing match and WS had some help with his plans to expand WMS?...help from, like, everyone..........?

plumbhog

What if Hunter doesn't heave? Does Ole Miss win a natty?
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

Hogs run wild

What if Basil made it to campus.
What if the LR school district athletics  weren't so screwy.
What if D-mac didn't suffer a concussion against bama.
What if nutt didn't call THAT play.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

LRrazorback

What if replay was available in '95 at Alabama

LRrazorback

What if the rules for cfb champions weren't changed in '65

Hogimus Prime

What if Penny Hardaway signed with the Hogs in 1990?
What Michael Lloyd made to campus and Othello Harrington signed with the Hogs in 1992?
What if Craig Tyson never got hurt?

LZH

Quote from: LRrazorback on March 24, 2017, 10:12:34 pm
What if replay was available in '95 at Alabama

That's a good one. Overturn that call and Ford doesn't make it to Atlanta. Of course, then we don't get peppered, smothered, and covered by Georgia, either.

Athog

Quote from: BigE_23 on March 23, 2017, 09:56:48 pm

"Ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas"

You can tell it is the off season for sports.